Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Taintrunner posted:

cash handout

The fact that people don't actually even do any sort of homework on reparations before explaining why they aren't possible is indicative of just how much they give a gently caress about black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

The fact that people don't actually even do any sort of homework on reparations before explaining why they aren't possible is indicative of just how much they give a gently caress about black people.

Yeah it’s a lot of “homework” to understand any well to do white politician can throw out “I support reparations” the ideal, without actually detailing what the actual “reparations” would be.

And then immediately forget about it when they take office. Yeah, for sure man. I’m the one that doesn’t give a gently caress.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Cool, tell us about it man. What property redistribution are you planning on doing for reparations, liberal?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Comey should be the lesson to every Democrat that even "good, establishment, non elected career" Republicans can't be trusted not to gently caress over your life if they think it will help their party. The fact we have several Democrats in this primary running on the idea that the GOP is full of good people is hysterical.

There isn't a single decent person in that loathsome organization and that should be a tenant of any "serious" political party.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/mviser/status/1123733680323792901

Way, way back

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah it’s a lot of “homework” to understand any well to do white politician can throw out “I support reparations” the ideal, without actually detailing what the actual “reparations” would be.

And then immediately forget about it when they take office. Yeah, for sure man. I’m the one that doesn’t give a gently caress.

Cash handouts aren't part of most plans for reparations, big guy, either theoretically for blacks, or most examples of reparations globally.

It usually consists of targetting programs and infrastructure at black areas and issues.

Judakel posted:

Cool, tell us about it man. What property redistribution are you planning on doing for reparations, liberal?

You do realize whites don't get reparations, right, liberal?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

Comey should be the lesson to every Democrat that even "good, establishment, non elected career" Republicans can't be trusted not to gently caress over your life if they think it will help their party. The fact we have several Democrats in this primary running on the idea that the GOP is full of good people is hysterical.

There isn't a single decent person in that loathsome organization and that should be a tenant of any "serious" political party.

The fact that we have "Democrats" proselytizing the holy word of Saint Ronnie Reagan in 2019 is just beyond disgusting. Not even republicans give a gently caress about him anymore.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Cash handouts aren't part of most plans for reparations, big guy, either theoretically for blacks, or most examples of reparations globally.

It usually consists of targetting programs and infrastructure at black areas and issues.

The “blacks,” you say, wokeishly

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
One thing that gives me a little hope is I don't see Biden doing well in caucuses. Caucuses are social events where the object is to create as much excitement about your candidate as possible. Even Biden's own supporters aren't excited about him.

Hell I think Hillary's supporters were more enthusiastic than Biden's.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

What was the 2004 primary like on the forums?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Good on those protestors. I think a lot of the population has gotten the "we have 11 years to really start fixing poo poo in a major way or we're totally hosed" message and a candidate who is centrist on climate change is not going to be offering real solutions to that problem.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

You do realize whites don't get reparations, right, liberal?

Hey man you didn't answer. Either answer or stick to USPol.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
God, look at how loving old Biden's crowd is

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Judakel posted:

What's your definition of liberal?

I'm curious because in general I find a lot of the self proclaimed leftists who talk poo poo about liberals tend to use definitions that no one who would actually call themselves liberal would resemble. In fact I typically find that the ideology and principles that people try to paint liberals with is literally what self proclaimed conservatives use to define themselves?

I mean I get that academia uses historical definitions that applied to liberals 200 years ago but poo poo's changed since then and we've gained a better understanding of reality and what being a liberal is has shifted and it's honestly just loving confusing when people don't recognize that language evolves and that identities shift over time. Liberals of 200 years ago didn't believe the same thing that liberals of today do. The reason that conservatives are attracted to ideas that were liberal 200 years ago is because they like old poo poo and aren't friendly to change.

Because here's the reality, when most people use the term liberal they are talking about having progressive attitudes and being open to change and new ideas, When the Righties are talking about sticking it to the libs they aren't talking about neo-liberals or classical liberals they're talking about people like me. People who they view as race and gender traitors , you know us bleeding heart liberals who actually give a gently caress about other people whether they look like us or not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grammarchist posted:

What was the 2004 primary like on the forums?

I don't remember the primary but I do remember election night when El Pinto Grande was repeatedly posting "it's not over yet" as the states were coming in and Kerry was looking more and more done. I'm not sure this cycle's Kerry is going to be the same since I don't think anyone is going to be that sure of Biden's success if he stumbles into the general.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

The “blacks,” you say, wokeishly

Maybe one day I'll be woke enough to be able to say that reparations are bad lol

Judakel posted:

Hey man you didn't answer. Either answer or stick to USPol.

I did, but you were probably too busy disregarding minority issues to jerk off white people to notice, lib :-)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

WampaLord posted:

Good on those protestors. I think a lot of the population has gotten the "we have 11 years to really start fixing poo poo in a major way or we're totally hosed" message and a candidate who is centrist on climate change is not going to be offering real solutions to that problem.

"I said climate change in 1987! 31 years ago! What more do you want from me?!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

One thing that gives me a little hope is I don't see Biden doing well in caucuses. Caucuses are social events where the object is to create as much excitement about your candidate as possible. Even Biden's own supporters aren't excited about him.

Hell I think Hillary's supporters were more enthusiastic than Biden's.

A lot fewer caucuses this year, so I don't know that it matters. Iowa, Nevada, Kansas, North Dakota, and Wyoming are all that's left (Maine also, but that's likely to change), and even then the parties are going to give alternative ways to participate. ND and probably WY at holding "firehouse" caucuses (where people can just drop by and cast a vote", Iowa will have remote participation, idk about NV and KS.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe one day I'll be woke enough to be able to say that reparations are bad lol

I did, but you were probably too busy disregarding minority issues to jerk off white people to notice, lib :-)

You didn't. That was not an answer.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
This idea that all the racists are already voting Republican is bullshit driven by a desire to not be on the same side as bad people. Broadly people the people voting Democrat are LESS racist than the people Republican but that's not the same as not racist.

Not saying its necessarily right that it'd lose more electorally than it'd gain, but if you think its not possible that would happen at all that speak to delusional views about White Democrats.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Judakel posted:

You didn't. That was not an answer.

Oh wait you were the one asking the question about how much do I care about black people after you spent pages saying to ignore them electorally in favor of whites.

I guess I didn't answer that, liberal.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyways, 2016 was a 20 year record low for voter turnout, and Bernie has a good team of people around him to tackle these issues in a way that can win, so I trust his judgement a little more than the guy who drops “the blacks!” in his meltdown.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Oh wait you were the one asking the question about how much do I care about black people after you spent pages saying to ignore them electorally in favor of whites.

I guess I didn't answer that, liberal.

Answer the question, since you love reparations so much.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1123603985645088768

I heard this on Hear the Bern the other day but it's a great call to action.

Jaxson and Judakel need to gently caress already and get it over with

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Anyways, 2016 was a 20 year record low for voter turnout, and Bernie has a good team of people around him to tackle these issues in a way that can win, so I trust his judgement a little more than the guy who drops “the blacks!” in his meltdown.

?
2016 had higher turnout than 2012, 2000, and 1996.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I think jaxson concedes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pinterest Mom posted:

?
2016 had higher turnout than 2012, 2000, and 1996.

No? https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/popular-vote-turnout-2016/index.html

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

reignonyourparade posted:

This idea that all the racists are already voting Republican is bullshit driven by a desire to not be on the same side as bad people. Broadly people the people voting Democrat are LESS racist than the people Republican but that's not the same as not racist.

Not saying its necessarily right that it'd lose more electorally than it'd gain, but if you think its not possible that would happen at all that speak to delusional views about White Democrats.

Yeah, I don't think "more or less racist" is necessarily the right way to look at it, because of course many many people who vote D are racist as hell; like my grandma is a lifelong democrat and just incredibly racist (and also a Biden supporter sigh). I think the framing is how motivating race is as a voting priority for that group. It's not that the suburbs are less racist than rural areas, it's that white rural areas see themselves as much more at threat by racial diversity and as such racial cultural issues are a much larger voting priority

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Judakel posted:

Answer the question, since you love reparations so much.

I love reparations so much, I will marry them.

Judakel posted:

I think jaxson concedes.

LOL you are literally trying to play "who's more woke" by focusing on whites, ignoring minorities,and making GBS threads on the idea of reparations.

You suck at this. Get on my level, liberal.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah, I don't think "more or less racist" is necessarily the right way to look at it, because of course many many people who vote D are racist as hell; like my grandma is a lifelong democrat and just incredibly racist (and also a Biden supporter sigh). I think the framing is how motivating race is as a voting priority for that group. It's not that the suburbs are less racist than rural areas, it's that white rural areas see themselves as much more at threat by racial diversity and as such racial cultural issues are a much larger voting priority

I was speaking more in a sense it averages as far as more or less.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/First_Dog_USA/status/1123070729774346240

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vote counts are a lot slower now than they were in the past because of vote by mail and absentee ballots in big states, especially California. The actual vote counts didn't finalize until ~late November, and that article is from November 11th.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

I love reparations so much, I will marry them.

LOL you are literally trying to play "who's more woke" by focusing on whites, ignoring minorities,and making GBS threads on the idea of reparations.

You suck at this. Get on my level, liberal.

You already conceded, lanyard. Chill out.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Judakel posted:

You'd lose Asians. You'd lose Hispanics. You'd lose white professionals. You'd just lose. They wouldn't vote Republican. They'd probably just not vote. No one wants to pay for that, regardless of how just it may be. You'd think people would understand by now: universal = popular. Not universal = don't care. At least as far as social programs. People would happily cut SSI if it saved them a few bucks.

Taintrunner posted:

For the serious political discussion board, it seems like nobody arguing for the vague ideal of reparations, which is a complicated issue and process nobody actually agrees on how to implement, has considered the political consequences that would easily wipe out any progress made by implementing such a policy.

With the Republicans the way they are now, as well as the severe economic instability of over half the country, as well as the fact that a cash handout would almost immediately be sucked dry by white owned corporations - the long term consequences would undo any sense of progress. And it’s not like you can call for a second reparations package.

If you care about actually bridging the wealth gap, Bernie is your best shot at beginning the process to actually make that happen, as his universal policies would disproportionately benefit impoverished people of color, while also giving impoverished white voters a material incentive to support such policies without the “its a welfare queen handout” hangups.

Both true. Social policies have to be universal or else they splinter coalitions. Anyone who is seriously proposing targeted race-based reparations as a policy platform in 2020 is insane. I don't think any of the Democratic candidates have actually endorsed that idea yet, they have just broadly endorsed economic policies that would benefit minority populations around "the discussion about reparations" which are not in any way the same as reparations. Reparations in the traditional "cash for grievance" sense wouldn't work and wouldn't gain a single vote, since 90% of African Americans already vote Democrat and the 10% who don't surely don't need reparations.

A package of universal social policies focused on M4A and student loan debt forgiveness (i.e. the top two bullet points of Sanders' platform) are the best way to go, because barring a recession, it's going to be hard to go against Trump on the economy with record low black unemployment. That item will assuredly be Trump's main talking point when the debates come around to this topic. But it's easy to frame the problems within the economy around the crippling debt and insecurity people have from the high costs of healthcare and education that the job market is doing absolutely nothing to assuage, and hopefully the eventual candidate makes that a prominent point of focus.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Libertine posted:

Both true. Social policies have to be universal or else they splinter coalitions. Anyone who is seriously proposing targeted race-based reparations as a policy platform in 2020 is insane. I don't think any of the Democratic candidates have actually endorsed that idea yet, they have just broadly endorsed economic policies that would benefit minority populations around "the discussion about reparations" which are not in any way the same as reparations. Reparations in the traditional "cash for grievance" sense wouldn't work and wouldn't gain a single vote, since 90% of African Americans already vote Democrat and the 10% who don't surely don't need reparations.

Please do not ever say this in public because it makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat

Also several candidates (can't remember which) have endorsed an existing bill to set up a reparations study commission.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Goddammit

And Bailey Warren is right there

https://twitter.com/FirstDogBailey/status/1120859998907764736

don't make me dislike Beto's dog, Beto's team

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sorry if I'm not 'hip' and the woman in the photo is famous (could then google it myself), but does anyone have a good source confirming this photo is what this anti-biden jeff bloke is saying? google image search got me nowhere.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Libertine posted:

90% of African Americans already vote Democrat and the 10% who don't surely don't need reparations.

90% of African American VOTERS vote democrat. Very very different.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

kidkissinger posted:

People always acted like Clinton was some super tough debater but I never got that and she always seemed pretty bad at public speaking in general, especially when forced to improvise.
I think they were basing that mostly on the Benghazi hearing in which she more or less kept her cool and didn't make many mistakes despite being grilled by a bunch of disingenuous Republican shitlords with questions like "so have you told Obama that you ordered the drone strike on Vilerat yet?" and so on.

Which is definitely a good skill to have but not one that applies to Presidential campaigns or debates. Perhaps if she had been able to get the debates to take place over the course of 12 hours with questions asked in the form of riddles, she would have won the Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Goddammit

And Bailey Warren is right there

https://twitter.com/FirstDogBailey/status/1120859998907764736

don't make me dislike Beto's dog, Beto's team

The Virgin Artemis O'Rourke vs the Chad Bailey Warren