Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Chikimiki posted:

Hey thread! We were looking at buying a sideboard buffet for our living room/dining room to store our plates etc. How does this one from Habitat look? I'm afraid that it may be too expensive for what it is :ohdear:

https://www.habitat.eu/p/4-doors-walnut-buffet

We wanted to step a little bit up from Ikea (as we both have stable jobs now), but unfortunately it turns out that at least here in France there are not many interesting stores unless you get into >1000€ per piece territory :raise:

I think it's a gorgeous piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chikimiki posted:

Hey thread! We were looking at buying a sideboard buffet for our living room/dining room to store our plates etc. How does this one from Habitat look? I'm afraid that it may be too expensive for what it is :ohdear:

It's mainly particle board except the doors. It's probably an average price for something like that.

quote:

We wanted to step a little bit up from Ikea (as we both have stable jobs now), but unfortunately it turns out that at least here in France there are not many interesting stores unless you get into >1000€ per piece territory :raise:

...which is a normal price if you want something that isn't particle board. Solid wood is going to run a few thousand.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm in a similar boat, in Europe and looking to step up a bit from Ikea but still can't afford most places. A couple other places to check out would be beliani and Kave Home.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 1, 2019

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I don’t know what the vintage/antique furniture market is like in France, but I was able to find a beautiful mid-century Broyhill sideboard for a steal out here. It took several months of trawling Craigslist and estate sales, but at least in the states, you can find some very nice, solid old pieces if you look hard enough. Otherwise, I had the same issue as you- the price point for quality new pieces was more than I really wanted to spend.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Something about this looks cheap and ugly, like it's trying to look higher-end than it's actually built to be:

Everything is veneered over poplar, with this generic dark veneering everyone uses because suburban moms think stained walnut veneer makes it look 'vintage' and 'premium'

The joints on the hutch are just these boring 45 degree joints that barely look like they fit together and I question the long-term structural integrity.

The hutch part is removable, so it doesn't sit correctly when placed on top and you can see this gap on the bottom.

I don't know the tensile strength of poplar, but I'd be worried about long-term monitor storage sagging the top over time.

The entire silhouette is boring, with yawn-inducing square legs and 90 degree joints everywhere. This was something made as cheaply as possible from one slab of uniform thickness wood.

If I had to get something in that same style: https://hivemodern.com/pages/product4218/blu-dot-cant-desk

This still has a veneered top, but the rest is solid and it doesn't look like a generic cube of a desk. Slightly less wide, but should be fine anyway.

Also has the bonus of having a slim enough profile that it doesn't take up visual weight in the room. Could probably be repurposed down the road as a writing desk or similar.

It doesn't have drawers, but I don't use desk drawers anymore, I find they just end up storing junk and take up space. Ive got a small slide-out drawer on the bottom of my desk and am probably going to get a supply cup or the like for the corner of the desk. Ensures that the desk doesn't become just another bullshit storage area.

Also, you could just get a flat desk and a monitor arm.

Thanks. I might get the monitor arm by still would want something to elevate the speakers.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Recommendations for "good enough" diy reuphostering for some lumpy couch cushions? Jus two loveseat bottom cushions. They are so wrecked from kids jumping x____x

(tbh a deep rear end groove was already forming during my 1st pregnancy.)

My fabric was okay but my cushions were shot so I ordered new ones from these guys. The cushions came super compressed and I was able to slide them in the covers and then wait for them to puff up over a few days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chikimiki posted:

I dig it. Do you guys have CB2 in France? I really like most of their sideboards/credenzas/cabinets.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I ordered a monitor arm, can't replace the "desk" because holy gently caress I have been spending a lot of money

hopefully the arm doesn't break my POS ikea thing in half

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Melicious posted:

I don’t know what the vintage/antique furniture market is like in France, but I was able to find a beautiful mid-century Broyhill sideboard for a steal out here. It took several months of trawling Craigslist and estate sales, but at least in the states, you can find some very nice, solid old pieces if you look hard enough. Otherwise, I had the same issue as you- the price point for quality new pieces was more than I really wanted to spend.

I'm guessing you don't mean the same vintage/antique as I think of, since you referenced MC, and the thread ascetic definitely trends more towards sleek lines and MCM than I like. That said, for anyone that likes older styles and serious wood, France/Belgium is heaven.

Like, this just popped up on my facebook marketplace, and I bet it would cost more to get the window lift guys to bring it in than the piece itself. No particleboard here!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nosre posted:

I'm guessing you don't mean the same vintage/antique as I think of, since you referenced MC, and the thread ascetic definitely trends more towards sleek lines and MCM than I like. That said, for anyone that likes older styles and serious wood, France/Belgium is heaven.

Like, this just popped up on my facebook marketplace, and I bet it would cost more to get the window lift guys to bring it in than the piece itself. No particleboard here!

If you ever go rich-bastard antiquing in the US you can find warehouse stores entirely dedicated to heavy wood furniture imported from the north of France. A lot of it in worse condition that that piece, so we're probably getting whatever wont sell over there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

If you ever go rich-bastard antiquing in the US you can find warehouse stores entirely dedicated to heavy wood furniture imported from the north of France. A lot of it in worse condition that that piece, so we're probably getting whatever wont sell over there.
An antique dealer friend of mine says "If it is doesn't have woodworm, it isn't French," so I think you're right that we don't get the best stuff. It's funny how differently constructed French and English and American and German and Dutch and other continental furniture is from each other. The English love tiny little fine dovetails and then I've seen French pieces with just one huge dovetail holding the front on. The French love overlay doors with fiche hinges and big armoires and the English built everything with butt hinges and built dressers and linen presses instead of armoires. I wonder what caused the differences aside from just local style/taste.

That piece is quite nice though. The inlay/marquetry work looks like a lot of 18th C Dutch stuff, but then the carving looks more French/continental, so I guess that makes sense for Belgium since it's stuck between the two.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Enchanted Hat posted:

I use a classic Eames mesh chair, and I love it. Something like a Herman Miller looks a bit silly in a private residence.

Hrm. While we're on the subject of chairs, I have a problem.

That's my dining room table . Since the dawn of time I've had a set of cane-seat wooden chairs we used with the table.
Problem: we've been using the chairs and the table a lot lately (to play gloomhaven) and the cane bottoms on the chairs are wearing out. Out of seven chairs, I'm down to three usable ones, and even those are starting to give out (especially if any heavier-weight friends come by).

Not only that, turns out there's only one person in the state I'm in who still does seat caning, and he charges and arm and a leg.

So I need new dining room chairs that 1) will stand up to heavy regular use, 2) will not clash horrible with the dining room table shown there (note the brass claw foot), and 3) won't be too expensive.

Any thoughts?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You could take the chairs to an upholsterer and get new, non-cane seats if you love them. Otherwise I'd just look at the second hand market in your area. Dining room chairs are cheap and abundant because people are ditching dining rooms all together, and that table isn't going to be hard to match stuff to.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you are sort of handy and don't mind taking a bit of time to do it, caning a chair is not super hard especially if it is press in cane. The materials are cheap too. Or yeah, you could get some upholstered seats made.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

You could take the chairs to an upholsterer and get new, non-cane seats if you love them. Otherwise I'd just look at the second hand market in your area. Dining room chairs are cheap and abundant because people are ditching dining rooms all together, and that table isn't going to be hard to match stuff to.

By ditching you mean they are eating in other locations like at the countertops while on a stool?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So I need new dining room chairs that 1) will stand up to heavy regular use, 2) will not clash horrible with the dining room table shown there (note the brass claw foot), and 3) won't be too expensive.

Any thoughts?

The Furniture Guys are awesome when it comes to learning about furniture restoration. I watched them all the time back in the day when TLC was actually The Learning Channel and I've even used some of their techniques to do stuff. They also have their own channel, aptly named "The Old Furniture Guys." It's not as active as I'd hoped, but maybe you might find some helpful stuff in those videos.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

By ditching you mean they are eating in other locations like at the countertops while on a stool?

A lot of American suburban homes built in the 20th Century have a formal dining room and also an eat-in kitchen/eating nook/space for a kitchen table. The idea is that your family eats most of their regular meals at the kitchen table (where you don’t have to worry about your spawn/Spouse being messy or unclean or somebody getting food on the nice woodwork or putting their feet on the table leg or whatever) and the dining room is set aside for “entertaining” like dinner parties, holidays, after-church meals, etc.

Beginning in the 2000s (and with the death of Silents/rise of Boomers) that model of furnishing has rapidly fallen out of favor for many reasons:
-People have realized that having a frequently-“off limits” room filled with often-uncomfortable furniture that most people use a handful of times per year at best is dumb and would rather turn their dining rooms into offices or whatever.

-Kitchens have become more accepted as entertaining spaces and many people would rather have one nice table that everyone eats at instead of one expensive “dining room table” and another, shittier, “kitchen table” that only seats your nuclear family.

-The last 15 years happened and people can’t afford to buy space they won’t use.

-People give more of a poo poo about the environment and don’t want to waste space.

-There’s been a (rightly deserved) backlash against pretensions like McMansions and the humble formal dining room/living room arrangement that predates the rise of McMansions has been a casualty of it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Wait, so now spending more money on quality items is in, and having wasted rooms that get used twice a year is out?

It's like everyone in this thread went back in time six months and became me

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Your idea of a wasted room is anything more than separate cubicles for eating, sleeping, and making GBS threads.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Wait, so now spending more money on quality items is in, and having wasted rooms that get used twice a year is out?

It's like everyone in this thread went back in time six months and became me

eat my dick I’ve been anti-dining room for yeeeeeaaaaarsssss

also I have generally agreed with your takes so idk why I get tarred with the goonpile brush

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

Your idea of a wasted room is anything more than separate cubicles for eating, sleeping, and making GBS threads.

just lol if you don't beer while you poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
and you don’t jerk it while you beer

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Re: ditching dining rooms: I guess my husband and I are weird outliers bucking this trend because we specifically sought out houses with formal dining rooms and closed kitchens. This made us pretty odd buyers because all the features everyone else was clamoring after (like open concept and "casual") we found extremely undesirable.

We ended up in a house where the kitchen is too small to be made eat-in, so we get to use our epic coffered ceilinged dining room every day. As for all the entertaining that we all say we love to do, I think we hosted like five dinner parties this past month, a couple with 10+ people. For us, the dining room is extremely important and heavily used, not some off-limits waste of space you can only enter if it's Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you are sort of handy and don't mind taking a bit of time to do it, caning a chair is not super hard especially if it is press in cane. The materials are cheap too. Or yeah, you could get some upholstered seats made.

I learned how to rush chairs on YouTube after I found a neat ladder back chair on the curb one day and it needed a new seat. Rushing is a step down from caning, but still, similar realm of skills. I'd love to learn caning, actually.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I haven't lived with a kitchen with a dining nook, but I think dining rooms are great. I would definitely want one with a family, and tbh even without one. Growing up, we used ours for every meal, and also for all kinds of projects where you need space to spread out.

Depending on the layout, ideally I would want a small/medium pass-through or something similar. I've seen some with an actual blurred glass window that goes up and down, which would be good because if it can't be cut off, you have most of the problems of open-plan.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A lot of dining room + kitchen setups make sense- for instance the house I grew up in has both but my mom insisted on doing the aforementioned “we eat 99.99% of our meals in the kitchen” thing for my entire childhood (ironically, my sister and I ended up doing a lot of schoolwork on the covered dining room table over the course of our lives- and like a lot of suburban homes the dining room accumulated a lot of crap as we got older).

My parents are now in the process of replacing the old fancy dining room table with a more hard-wearing one, chucking the kitchen table, and putting down a nice big island worktop in its place. We’d always struggled for space in the kitchen when I was a kid and this is far-and-away the best solution for that house. It’s great because the dining room has its own access point to the outdoors that we literally never used for 20+ years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

What are they make of/ how are they constructed? You probaby just need to replace the foam with new stuff.

You're right. The original cushions have a layer that's… gotten both depressed and raised. Anything flat will be an improvement.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's mainly particle board except the doors. It's probably an average price for something like that.

...which is a normal price if you want something that isn't particle board. Solid wood is going to run a few thousand.

Ok, I didn't expect solid wood to be so expensive. Looks like the price premium is mainly over the design then, and not necessarily the BoM.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm in a similar boat, in Europe and looking to step up a bit from Ikea but still can't afford most places. A couple other places to check out would be beliani and Kave Home.

Thanks, gonna have a look at these!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dig it. Do you guys have CB2 in France? I really like most of their sideboards/credenzas/cabinets.

Unfortunately not, I could order stuff and have it shipped but I guess this is going to be quite expensive.

Melicious posted:

Nosre posted:

Yeah from what I've gathered we have a big antique furniture market here, but it's mainly for really old stuff (think 17th to 19th century). MCM furniture is rather hard to find here, and often poor quality owing to post-war conditions. Given the recent interior design trends, the few good MCM pieces get really expensive, while the actual antique stuff is getting cheaper. Guess you could make a quick buck by importing MCM furniture to Europe from the US nowadays!

In any case, thanks for the input guys! I checked the piece out in store, still looks really nice and build quality seems pretty close to our swedish overlords. We'll look around some more but I guess we'll be going for this one if nothing compares to it :)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not only that, turns out there's only one person in the state I'm in who still does seat caning, and he charges and arm and a leg.

Sort of counterproductive that getting the seat fixed means losing two other important components imo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

just lol if you don't beer while you poo poo

Those pictures of your apartment didn't include a bathroom...

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
So wait, PRADA SLUT is Beatmasterj?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Sort of counterproductive that getting the seat fixed means losing two other important components imo

Though a three legged cane stool doesn't sound terrible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

extravadanza posted:

So wait, PRADA SLUT is Beatmasterj?

lmao hopefully

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So basically re: wood furniture, you want something made in the US. Specifically North Carolina.

Here are office desks from a place that is based where I am (Twin Cities).

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/office/desks

Minimum for 60w is about 1100 or so.

I do like this desk/chair combo. Desk is 960 for 48w in cherry wood, chair is 800-850 depending on fabric.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 2, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

actionjackson posted:

So basically re: wood furniture, you want something made in the US. Specifically North Carolina.

I do like this desk/chair combo. Desk is 960 for 48w in cherry wood, chair is 800-850 depending on fabric.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/office/office-chairs/ergoergo-stool

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

actionjackson posted:

Here's the best concept

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That is a ludicrously expensive desk.

And that stool needs a flared base.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nosre posted:

How much would something like this normally cost? It looks amazing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

latinotwink1997 posted:

How much would something like this normally cost? It looks amazing.

I can't imagine it selling new for less than, oh, $5k. You're talking a lot of skilled labor for construction, carving, and marquetry plus a nontrivial materials cost.

Used, who knows? It depends on factors like how popular the style is right now, what kind of shape the specific antique is in, how much the seller is willing to spend on storage vs. waiting for the right buyer...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't imagine it selling new for less than, oh, $5k. You're talking a lot of skilled labor for construction, carving, and marquetry plus a nontrivial materials cost.

Used, who knows? It depends on factors like how popular the style is right now, what kind of shape the specific antique is in, how much the seller is willing to spend on storage vs. waiting for the right buyer...
Lol, if only. New as a custom one off/reproduction, you're probably looking at closer to $10-20k+. Both marquetry and carving are quite slow, skilled, delicate work. If a factory started cranking them out and they cut plenty of corners and machine carved it, I could see it getting down to $5k ish.

As an antique, that particular heavy style is even more out that most antiques. There are loads of dealers who probably would be happy to be rid of something like that for ~$3,000 (unless it is just huge or has particular provenance or something) so they can buy some MCM or Biedermeier stuff that they might actually be able to sell at a profit.

Antiques, especially Georgian/Regency/Edwardian English stuff are a super good deal for the buyer right now. You can get a gorgeous Georgian mahogany linen press for like $1000 because flat screen TVs killed the antique linen press market completely, and it would cost $6000 easy to get the same thing made new to the same quality. Antiques will be back in style someday (and they never went out of style for lots of folks), and you'll be glad to have something to give your children that isn't made of plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

5k new? There's no loving way it's that cheap, it's probably quadruple that, considering you're looking at hand carving solid wood. The labor cost is going to be astronomical.

there wolf posted:

Those pictures of your apartment didn't include a bathroom...

just lol if you don't poo poo where you stand and then vanish it away Harry Potter style