Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

I didn't feel particularly confident in the type of package a couple of the private equity funds who were bidding on the regionals had. On top of that, its not like we're talking about "good guys" when it comes to the regionals. You think if AT&T, Charter, or Cox bought the Fox regionals they'd be really cool good companies as opposed to Amazon? We're talking massive powerful conglomerate companies or private equity companies buying up the regionals. MY baseline is that its mostly business as usual and a bad case would be they deliver an inferior product than what the Fox Regionals were already doing.

Which is why I thought Amazon buying them at the very least could be interesting. They handle a lot of streaming stuff and I was more than satisfied with how they've handled NFL stuff that they were partner streaming with. I'm not thinking they'd be a big "disruptor" but I'd be more interested to see what they could bring to the table versus say, Sinclair. On top of that I'm already a Prime Member so I would figure they'd have some sort of discount too.

Fair reasoning, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

whats ROH

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ramadu posted:

whats ROH

Ring of Honor, wrestling promo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1122865862204166149

So yesterday, Francesa says it's Ballentine's fault for getting shot, his best friend getting killed, and it reflects poorly on the Giants.

Today, Boomer Esiason and Gregg Giannotti criticize the comments, and Mike calls in and puts his foot even deeper in his mouth.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1123588511221686272?s=21

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Easy to clear the bar set by last year!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just don't understand their love for mcfarland.

You have Steve Young...a HOFer, Super Bowl Champion and house hold name travel with you for pre-game.

You have Randy Moss, a man that's beloved by people like me for his amazing talents and is rather charismatic.

Yet you keep shoving this guy down our throats?

As for Tessatore? Please...no more.

Please ESPN. Just hire Kevin Harlan away from CBS/TBS. I say this at the risk of never hearing him call March Madness again, but he's really good and would do a great job.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Do not hire Harlan away from tnt

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Instead of the booger mobile they should make a booger blimp. He just flies city to city.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Please ESPN. Just hire Kevin Harlan away from CBS/TBS. I say this at the risk of never hearing him call March Madness again, but he's really good and would do a great job.

It's a little bit of a pain in the rear end to get the sound to synch up but Harlan does call Monday Night Football for Westwood 1 or whatever the national radio thing is.

I'm too lazy to actually do this when I'm watching at home but whenever I'm driving somewhere while MNF is on I appreciate it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just don't understand their love for mcfarland.

You have Steve Young...a HOFer, Super Bowl Champion and house hold name travel with you for pre-game.

You have Randy Moss, a man that's beloved by people like me for his amazing talents and is rather charismatic.

Yet you keep shoving this guy down our throats?

As for Tessatore? Please...no more.

Steve Young is really bad on TV though. Also I think he has outright said he only does the job so he can go hobnob with potential investors in his sketchy private equity fund during the game, which he can't do if he's busy calling it.

I liked Tess when he was doing college football, I think he's fine. The disaster last year wasn't his fault.

Grittybeard posted:

It's a little bit of a pain in the rear end to get the sound to synch up but Harlan does call Monday Night Football for Westwood 1 or whatever the national radio thing is.

I'm too lazy to actually do this when I'm watching at home but whenever I'm driving somewhere while MNF is on I appreciate it.

Harlan/Warner is a really good booth, significantly better than any of the current NFL TV groups outside Romo/Nantz.

I've said this a bunch of times but I have no idea how Warner doesn't have a TV gig, he's a handsome famous QB and he's actually good at calling games.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 1, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

I've said this a bunch of times but I have no idea how Warner doesn't have a TV gig, he's a handsome famous QB and he's actually good at calling games.

*Extremely boomer voice* It's because he's a Christian

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Please hire Kevin Harlan away from one of the best sporting events of the year so that he can call 3rd rate NFL games! Please!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Hire away Harlan so he can call the NBA with Doris imo

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Is this the sports version of 'shipping?'

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dutchy posted:

Hire away Harlan so he can call the NBA with Doris imo

Yeah that's the thing.

I somewhat trust Turner Sports to replace him if that were the case.

ESPN's track record on the flipside? Not so much. The NBA has been completely botched sans for Doris Burke and...at times? Hubie Brown.

I'm still baffled by that by the way. They had Brent Musburger with their network at the time they got the rights. Brent indeed was the guy that anchored the NBA on CBS pre-game and even called games until the mid-80s. I believe he was still calling NBA Finals games on the radio as well.

Just feels like they tried to reinvent the wheel over just trying to carry on the great coverage that NBC, CBS provided since 1973.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think Mike Breen's actually extremely good but he has to work with Jackson and Van Gundy and it's just an impossible task

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

I think Mike Breen's actually extremely good but he has to work with Jackson and Van Gundy and it's just an impossible task

Agreed, Breen is fine. They needed to break that team up a long time ago. Van Gundy was pretty good when he started but he sounds like he loving hates the NBA now, Jackson has never been any good, and they both bring out the worst in each other.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

JVG is just a random reddit guy now basically. Litigates every call and calls attention to poo poo that clouds up the game. It's embarrassing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My favorite JVG was when he was openly trying to get Spo fired during the first Lebron Heat year so JVG could take his job.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it actually owned when JVG was just going to town on Garpax because he was sticking up for Thibs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

it actually owned when JVG was just going to town on Garpax because he was sticking up for Thibs.

Yeah, there have been many JVG rants that I've really liked but the frequency of those vs "old man yells at TV" is definitely moving in the wrong direction the further JVG gets from the actual game.

What I'm saying is color commentators, like Supreme Court Justices, probably should have term limits.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should put Ryan Clark with Tessitore

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Free Charles Woodson.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1123990395195723777

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin posted:

While the drug helped take away his pain, the side effects were “horrible.” He experienced memory loss, detailing how he’d forget about going to dinner with his family, how he couldn’t remember Albert Pujols’s name, and how he would tease something on the show before going to a break, only to need his producer to remind him what he’d teased minutes earlier. “I couldn’t start my car some days,” he said. “I didn’t know how to do it.” According to Patrick, the drug sent him into a deep depression and he began to have suicidal thoughts.

jesus christ :stare:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

looks like it's a done deal

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1124075618629505029

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
When do the must carry editorials by Curt Schilling start?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR ILITCH HOLDINGS TO CREATE THEIR OWN DETROIT-CENTERED SPORTS CHANNEL

AND I HOPE IT SHOWS COLLEGE HOCKEY

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That series of Bill's tailgating clips on Highly Questionable.

:discourse:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

whats ROH

a wrestling promotion that spent 2 years promoting a few stars because the almost all of the rest of the good roster left and what was left was horribly mismanaged

as those few stars starte sto really build up steam for their own personal brand, roh basically underwrote a major ppv card for them in an attempt to accomodate/humiliate them

the ppv was a major success so then the stars left the company a few months later when their contracts expired and are starting their own wrestling company directly opposing Ring of Honor with the carolina panthers

it's the sort of achievement of self-own that even TNA is in awe of.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

actually it's the jaguars owners who are funding the new wrestling company

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1124327796422193152

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I'm hoping he's working on some gigantic sports scandal or continuing a well deserved vacation away from Bristol.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm hoping he's working on some gigantic sports scandal or continuing a well deserved vacation away from Bristol.

I thought he was sick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vertical Lime posted:

actually it's the jaguars owners who are funding the new wrestling company

They are funding the company but OJ MIST 2 THE DICK is correct in that ROH fronted a large portion of the money for All In.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ROH didnt front the money for All In I'm pretty sure.

They ended up allowing ROH talent to work it, and they hired ROH's camera and production crew. But Sinclair didn't put up the money for the arena or book/pay the the talent.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought he was sick.
Nope. He'd basically worked for ESPN continuously since it launched in 1979 without taking any kind of extended break, and decided it was time for one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

a wrestling promotion that spent 2 years promoting a few stars because the almost all of the rest of the good roster left and what was left was horribly mismanaged

as those few stars starte sto really build up steam for their own personal brand, roh basically underwrote a major ppv card for them in an attempt to accomodate/humiliate them

the ppv was a major success so then the stars left the company a few months later when their contracts expired and are starting their own wrestling company directly opposing Ring of Honor with the carolina panthers

it's the sort of achievement of self-own that even TNA is in awe of.

ALL IN was funded by Cody & The Bucks, ROH just sanctioned it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Peanut President posted:

ALL IN was funded by Cody & The Bucks, ROH just sanctioned it.

Dexo posted:

ROH didnt front the money for All In I'm pretty sure.

They ended up allowing ROH talent to work it, and they hired ROH's camera and production crew. But Sinclair didn't put up the money for the arena or book/pay the the talent.

I think you might be right because I am trying to find the podcast I thought Meltzer said that ROH covered the talent cost for ROH wrestlers and that isn't what he actually said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I like van gundy. Am I the only one???