Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Inject this straight into my veins pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yeah babey!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It seems like X-23 got stealth-cancelled, though. There's nothing solicited after the next issue :smith:

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
There may be a better thread for this, but why do books get stealth cancelled? Obviously there's any number of reasons a book would be cancelled, but is stealth just a way to try to avoid backlash? Cause it seems like that backfires.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What's the definition of "stealth cancelled" though? Just "cancelled without putting out a press release"? That's a genuine question though, because I don't read solicitations. Is it like they solicited issue 12 without saying "final issue" in the solicitation (like I assume they would with comics which are ending).

What about the rest of the X-line? I'm almost wondering if things are pausing/ending for Hickman's Books, and then starting a new status quo. And if Gabby and Laura aren't starring in anything post-Hickman I'm going to have to start making my own truly terrible fan comics so... fuckin announce something, Marvel. Cause I can't draw for poo poo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Diet Poison posted:

What's the definition of "stealth cancelled" though? Just "cancelled without putting out a press release"? That's a genuine question though, because I don't read solicitations. Is it like they solicited issue 12 without saying "final issue" in the solicitation (like I assume they would with comics which are ending).

A note - soliciting final issues as final issues is actually a pretty recent development. I remember the last issue of the first Moon Knight series had one of those little text lines at the bottom of the last page saying, essentially, "THERE WILL BE NO MORE ISSUES OF MOON KNIGHT" and that was it.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
I'm strictly a Marvel Unlimited guy, so I'm always six months behind, but between Hickman X-Men and X-Statix returning I might be heading to a brick and mortar soon.

Hickman: "Yeah, my amazing F4, Avengers, and event title runs were simply jobs."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Donde Esta posted:

I'm strictly a Marvel Unlimited guy, so I'm always six months behind, but between Hickman X-Men and X-Statix returning I might be heading to a brick and mortar soon.

Hickman: "Yeah, my amazing F4, Avengers, and event title runs were simply jobs."

Hickman: Forgive me master, for I have to go all out....Just this once!

(Que Hickman going Super Saijan Comic Writer.)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Question IRL posted:

Hickman: Forgive me master, for I have to go all out....Just this once!

(Que Hickman going Super Saijan Comic Writer.)

Hicko Mode

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Hicko Mode

Hicker Instinct.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

One Hick Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like Uncanny is ending for a bit while Hickman works his magic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Sounds like Uncanny is ending for a bit while Hickman works his magic.

Looks like all or most mutant titles are ending

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Age of X-Man is...good.

I'm enjoying it, but, also, how does this fit in with the timeline? Like, at all?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's an alternate reality created by Nate Grey so it doesn't

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alaois posted:

it's an alternate reality created by Nate Grey so it doesn't

Isn't it taking place simultaneously with the ongoing Uncanny run? Like, all those people got sucked in to the pocket reality, but whatever terrible things are going on in Uncanny are in theory happening at the same time?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alongside, that's why some of the characters think everyone is dead, inasmuch as anything happening in Uncanny is motivated by anything whatsoever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Covok posted:

Age of X-Man is...good.

I'm enjoying it, but, also, how does this fit in with the timeline? Like, at all?

Does it pick up or did you like it from the start? Because I did not enjoy the 2-3 #1s of the crossover I checked out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't it taking place simultaneously with the ongoing Uncanny run? Like, all those people got sucked in to the pocket reality, but whatever terrible things are going on in Uncanny are in theory happening at the same time?

Yeah, Age of X-Man isn't an entirely complete alternate reality like House of M or Age of Apocalypse was; it's a snowglobe. All the characters in Age of X-Man are in the snowglobe while the regular world keeps on trucking alongside it.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 22, 2019

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A note - soliciting final issues as final issues is actually a pretty recent development. I remember the last issue of the first Moon Knight series had one of those little text lines at the bottom of the last page saying, essentially, "THERE WILL BE NO MORE ISSUES OF MOON KNIGHT" and that was it.

Occasionally, it was done with some style.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
X-Tremists #3 was, unsurprisingly, excellent, and once again the scenes between Fred Dukes and Betsy stole the show. I really, really, really hope Leah Williams winds up with a long-term X-book after this event is over.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

X-Tremists #3 was, unsurprisingly, excellent, and once again the scenes between Fred Dukes and Betsy stole the show. I really, really, really hope Leah Williams winds up with a long-term X-book after this event is over.

Given that Hickman is pretty clearly going to be the Big Architect for the X-Men, I wouldn't hold my breath - maybe she'll get an ancillary title but I'm pretty sure the X-Office is going to basically be Hickman's Vision, and Leah Williams - who deserves a long-term book, she is excellent - is probably going to be a little too idiosyncratic to fit into that vision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What do the solicits for Uncanny in June say?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What do the solicits for Uncanny in June say?

UNCANNY X-MEN #19 & #20
MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W) • ISSUE #19 - Carlos Villa (A)
ISSUE #20- Salvador Larroca (A)
ISSUE #19 - MARVELS 25TH TRIBUTE VARIANT COVER BY PHIL NOTO
CoverS by WHILCE PORTACIO
First – learn the truth about the Hellfire Club’s involvement in the X-Men’s quest. Then, the mutant race faces elimination at the hands of a vaccine erasing the X-Gene from future generations…
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, as much as I love the idea of Jonathan Hickman doing for X-Men what he did for F4 and Avengers I'm not seeing evidence of it. There's gonna be 12 issues total of two different miniseries. Him saying this is a passion project makes me even more suspect, that means it's a hobby for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hickman’s stuff starts July 24th.

Uncanny ends July 17th.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, as much as I love the idea of Jonathan Hickman doing for X-Men what he did for F4 and Avengers I'm not seeing evidence of it. There's gonna be 12 issues total of two different miniseries. Him saying this is a passion project makes me even more suspect, that means it's a hobby for him.

At this point I just hope it's good Hickman and not the Hickman that tried to get me to care about Starbrand or Nightmask

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rosenberg still writes X-Men comics but no X-23 or Mr. & Mrs. X. :smith:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I do think there's a chance Hickman will stop at just those 12 issues, but my actual bet is he'll probably have something else as a follow up, even if it's not a run on Uncanny.

Dawgstar posted:

Uncanny is selling a lot right now. Apparently Mr. and Mrs. X wasn't.

Which is a shame, because Rogue and Gambit work very well in that book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Agreed, this is a travesty.

Maybe they'll relaunch Mr. & Mrs. X under the Rogue & Gambit name so it'll be more marketable?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just as long as they don't fuckin' split Rogue and Gambit up again, I'll be happy, whether they have a solo (duo, I guess?) title or not. The world's had enough will-they-won't-they outta those two for several lifetimes.

Just kidding, I'll never be happy again until Gabby and Laura get their own title again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really happy that fun and nice series like X-23 and Mr. and Mrs. X get cancelled while Matthew Rosenberg kills my favorite New Mutant and continues on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking at the July solicitations, it really seems like maybe they're wrapping everything up for some sort of soft (or hard) relaunch parallel to/after the Hickman stuff.

- Age of X-Man is ending without any obvious "and here's what is spinning out of this event" books

- Uncanny X-Men's solicitation reads

quote:

As Cyclops’ cleanup mission nears its close, all the problems the X-Men face come together. The truth behind the Hellfire Club’s intentions, the culmination of the O.N.E.’s assaults on mutantkind and even the inner struggles within the team... It all ends here. This is forever.

-X-Force's reads

quote:

With Rachel Summers under his control, Stryfe and his Mutant Liberation Front finally have the power to secure their futures – at the cost of everyone else’s. Will Cable and his X-Force be able to stop them, or will the time stream be forever altered? Find out in this final showdown!
With a pretty "last issue" style cover:

Even Deadpool sounds kind of like a wrap-up of Skottie Young's run.

So maybe Rosenberg just got an extra month or so to wrap up his storylines and bring everyone back because hey it's not like anything else he's doing feels permanent or important and he reversed the techno-organic virus thing he introduced almost immediately, why not also bring Rahne back too?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can they just let Gail Simone keep writing Domino outside the X-Men line, it's not like she's ever interacting with them in her series

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How is Dani Moonstar both in Uncanny X-Men and in Age of X-Man: Prisoner X?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Little Mac posted:

How is Dani Moonstar both in Uncanny X-Men and in Age of X-Man: Prisoner X?

That's apparently intended and will be explained, at least based on some comments I've read.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Rahne is killed reads as very bad metaphor for hate crimes committed against trans women.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Roth posted:

How Rahne is killed reads as very bad metaphor for hate crimes committed against trans women.

I got this too and I'm physically angry about it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, it sucked a lot and felt astonishingly tone-deaf. If it was unintentional Rosenberg is an idiot, if it was intentional he did an extraordinarily bad and tacky job with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like Rahne has perpetually been the character unnecessarily bad things happen to since, like, the early 90s. The last major plot point she had was Strong Guy murdering her large adult son.