Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Should have told her "welcome to the Night King's Army" lol that would have been EPIC FANDOM moment for this person to end their life with!!!!

lol there's like a million death-related catchphrases from this show and not one of these scrubs told this poor lady something badass like "what is dead may never die" or "valor margulies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It really was a great episode minus plot coherency. get a better screen if you can't see the shades of black jfc

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can someone blow up :goonsay: to like 4k resolution so I can apply it to this post

So I watched the episode on a 60" LG 4k with the live HBO feed from Comcast and couldn't see poo poo.

The second time I watched it was on a 65" LG 4k with the Hulu feed and it looked perfectly fine.

So, identical factory presets (with the exception of that tru motion bullshit turned off, obviously), and there was a world of difference.

So people saying "lol dark" aren't wrong, they just need to ditch Comcast which eats buckets of old stale dick.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So I watched the episode on a 60" LG 4k with the live HBO feed from Comcast and couldn't see poo poo.

The second time I watched it was on a 65" LG 4k with the Hulu feed and it looked perfectly fine.

So, identical factory presets (with the exception of that tru motion bullshit turned off, obviously), and there was a world of difference.

So people saying "lol dark" aren't wrong, they just need to ditch Comcast which eats buckets of old stale dick.

Look at fancy Mr. I Own Multiple 60+ Inch TVs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Could have been worse, he could have done the whole "not today" bit. Talk about awkward!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol at big paragraphs about bad show

post more memes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched it on a 65 OLED that was calibrated and it looked like poo poo. HBO feed through comcast.

I read somewhere that part of the problem was the huge # of people who were watching somehow degraded the signal. This doesn't really make sense to me, though. But maybe?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i bet that lady had a great time watching the show lit off her pain meds :unsmith:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just imagine, the last thing you see before the abyss claims you is Arya doing a naruto run

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Alternatively, a professional cinematographer working on the most expensive tv show ever could learn about how the medium he's working in usually presented and adjust accordingly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched it on a 65 OLED that was calibrated and it looked like poo poo. HBO feed through comcast.

I read somewhere that part of the problem was the huge # of people who were watching somehow degraded the signal. This doesn't really make sense to me, though. But maybe?

Apparently some of the streams have more aggressive compression than others.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol there's like a million death-related catchphrases from this show and not one of these scrubs told this poor lady something badass like "what is dead may never die" or "valor margulies"

"What do you say to the god of death? " - "Doctor says I'll be seeing you within a month"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tpink posted:

How did Arya know that that was the spot to stab?

bran warged into her and did the stabbing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shageletic posted:

lol at big paragraphs about bad show

post more memes

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjjjjj/actual_footage_of_the_writers_after_episode_3/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

StuG Jeebus posted:

Alternatively, a professional cinematographer working on the most expensive tv show ever could learn about how the medium he's working in usually presented and adjust accordingly

Granted.

But the bluray/4k release is going to look phenomenal so really the problem here is Comcast being dog poo poo and needing to be eradicated.l

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'm rewatching a bit to see if it's any different and yea, it looks somewhat better right now then when I watched it day of release. It could all just be in my head or maybe they lowered the stream quality for release day to save on bandwidth and now that we're a couple days past it's gone back to regular.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I like that the article said she got ten messages, but they only named seven of the actors that sent them.

I can only imagine the article saying 'Pilou Asbaek, the actor who plays Euron Greyjoy sent a message that was not well received, when he said 'What is dead may never die, but you're going to. Enjoy the episode!' she burst into tears.

I kind of frowned at the list of names of guys that sent videos at first. The guy that played Pypar?! Qhono?! But at the same time, even though they were minor or side characters, it was cool they took the time to send a message. Davos seems like the only 'top tier' of the lot.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

going against the thread and with popular opinion - :goonsay:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

A Handed Missus posted:

I watched one of the behind the scenes vids and George Lucas visited the set when they were filming ep 1 of this season lol

so the flaming swords were lightsabers and arya was ep 2 yoda

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I think the problem was that they built up the the bad guys as unstoppable over 7 seasons, so it didn't matter how the good guys won, it was always going to look like a trick.

A faceless assassin that has been trained by the best sneaky killers in the history of the world managing to creep up and one shot the night king isn't actually that bad of a storyline. The night king dying and taking out his army of a million undead is, but I dunno how else they could have handled it.

It wasn't the best episode, but it was entertaining, which is good enough.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lol at "shades of black"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A hospice patient's final request was to watch the Battle of Winterfell. The 'Game of Thrones' cast did her one better

Imagine your dying wish being to see this giant battle and you get that dark mess

Poor lady I bet she couldn't see a loving thing the entire episode :(

She died Monday. She'll never know how it ends. I mean, I guess it ended on a good note that the NK is dead and a few dragons are still kickin'

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WOLF

*dies*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And now she can't even join NKs skeleton army smdh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

going against the thread and with popular opinion - :goonsay:

nah the episode was black as gently caress. I watched 2 different 1080 rips on a calibrated, good TV, with the lights out and the LED backlight on the TV going. Couldn't see poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Goons are too fat to climb a wall, night king blasted through the wall... makes you think

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

StuG Jeebus posted:

Some article I read (maybe posted here too?) mentioned that it probably looked fantastic on whatever crazy calibrated displays they're using to edit the footage, and probably would look fantastic in a movie theater, but 99% of people watching aren't in ideal movie theater conditions.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
yeah i read that on Gizmodo i think

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

I think the problem was that they built up the the bad guys as unstoppable over 7 seasons, so it didn't matter how the good guys won, it was always going to look like a trick.

A faceless assassin that has been trained by the best sneaky killers in the history of the world managing to creep up and one shot the night king isn't actually that bad of a storyline. The night king dying and taking out his army of a million undead is, but I dunno how else they could have handled it.

It wasn't the best episode, but it was entertaining, which is good enough.

The only possible satisfying end to this with 4 episodes to go was to have the Night King win. Wrapping up every character's story arc was difficult enough that GRRM gave up. You sure as hell can't do it in 3 episodes.

Better to kill everyone off because mankind spent too much time and effort bickering amongst one another to deal with the looming threat, weakening themselves through constant war over a tacky chair. A fraction of the population bothering to come together to fight it off only when they are faced with imminent death shouldn't change that, especially if this is supposed to be an allegory for climate change. Have Cersei smug it up over the fact that her political opponents have been defeated and she has secured the throne, all while the dead march south to turn her kingdom into a graveyard.

Oh well, the show has been poo poo for years so what we got was about all that could be expected. Might as well cap off Arya's godawful assassin storyline with a godawful assassination.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Vargs posted:

The only possible satisfying end to this with 4 episodes to go was to have the Night King win. Wrapping up every character's story arc was difficult enough that GRRM gave up. You sure as hell can't do it in 3 episodes.

Better to kill everyone off because mankind spent too much time and effort bickering amongst one another to deal with the looming threat, weakening themselves through constant war over a tacky chair. A fraction of the population bothering to come together to fight it off only when they are faced with imminent death shouldn't change that, especially if this is supposed to be an allegory for climate change. Have Cersei smug it up over the fact that her political opponents have been defeated and she has secured the throne, all while the dead march south to turn her kingdom into a graveyard.

Oh well, the show has been poo poo for years so what we got was about all that could be expected. Might as well cap off Arya's godawful assassin storyline with a godawful assassination.

these two producers don't really "do" lessons. or have any of them to teach us, or have ever understood any themselves, or have anything to say or teach about the world at all. they make x-men movies

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vargs posted:

Having all of the named characters in the mosh like jaime sam and brienne, tormund, greyworm, pod, gendry be killed off through the episode. Without big death scenes. Just them being overwhelmed

Have the hound die off camera, you just see him slumped against the wall. The red woman commits suicide off camera

sansa and tyrion commit suicide in the crypt.

Everyone else in the crypt dies off camera

Jon gets dragon'd or something

Arya gets turned on when she tries to stealth kill by the white walkers.

Idk davos does something

NK finishes bran

Dany flees south to kings landing where she's executed. Whatever supporting characters are left there turn on cersei for not taking the thread seriously and how its her fault.
Euron abandons her.

The dead march on kings landing where cersei is annihilated.

Bronn fucks off to a castle in dorne where he is later annihilated too.

Fade scene to Iron islands where it timelapse shows the winter never ending.

Fade scene to when tyrion and bran are talking and bran says some grim stuff.

The end.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 2, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
they spent the entirety of the season so far borrowing dialogue lines from GRRM

the last episode had almost no speaking at all besides these

they're also borrowing as many scenes as possible from prior seasons, such as them trying to do a "hardhome" moment again, and making what they literally called "the second king in the north scene"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm just upset that the Night King didn't try to kick Theon in the nards, giving Theon a brief upper hand.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What the heck so the resolution to all this is a tricksy hobbit sneaks up and gets the bad guy in his weak spot which for Reasons causes his army to spontaneously combust just as all the heroes are about to die?

I already saw Lord of the Rings!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

jokes posted:

I'm just upset that the Night King didn't try to kick Theon in the nards, giving Theon a brief upper hand.

I bet it would still hurt to get kicked in the pee hole, and Theon is a lil bitch anyway

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Next episode, we open on the Night King meditating, and realize the entire previous episode was him predicting how things might go. Then they go slaughter everyone at Winterfell with ease. The preview was a lie..

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

everyone complained for months when it seemed like aryas faceless men story was going nowhere, now that she has used her abilities that she learned in bravos from the faceless men to kill the night king and basically save the world, everyone hates it. goons in this thread have depression and will never be happy no matter what happens on any tv show.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Seeing more and more people mourning Theon and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

The serial rapist child murderer that butchered a large number of the early season favorites and is essentially the reason Robb lost, Ramsay gained power, and Rickon was killed? The one that abandoned Yara to Ramsay and and again to Euron?

That Theon?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

theon redeemed himself.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The version on Hulu now doesn't look like how I saw it on the night of. Even Hulu had that problem that made it look like it was being run through a lovely codec with lots of pixellation around light sources.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Then there are the goons that are so depressed that they try to attention whore by creating duplicate threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Hell Yeah posted:

everyone complained for months when it seemed like aryas faceless men story was going nowhere, now that she has used her abilities that she learned in bravos from the faceless men to kill the night king and basically save the world, everyone hates it. goons in this thread have depression and will never be happy no matter what happens on any tv show.

arya already killed all the freys with her assassination skills and cersei is number one on her list so she prob gonna kill her too. jon got stabbed and murdered for trying to unite people against the night king, was the only one to kill a white walker and brought like 100,000 dothraki and unsullied to westeros to die without doin jack. then all he did was run by his dying friends and scream at a dragon. it was just bad :(