Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It wasn't even called "Annoyed Grunt Canada"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text

Data Graham posted:

It wasn't even called "Annoyed Grunt Canada"?

Of course not, that would've required the audience to maybe think about a joke for a second or two. Also it's hilarious how the imbeciles at the avclub keep giving every episode b to c ratings despite them being uniformly poo poo. Either they're getting payola or they're even dumber than previously assumed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lise, check it out. Time for chili.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 29, 2019

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Decided to watch for the first time in a long time tonight. It was a Lisa episode called Doh Canada. Good lord this show needs euthanized. Its like seeing an aged loved one who is suffering dementia so bad they don't even resemble the person they once were.

The twitching corpse managed to poke something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arbite posted:

omg

quote:

Sunday evening's episode also made jabs at upstate New York, prompting a spokesperson for Gov. Andrew Cuomo to call it "dumb cheap shots."

:allears:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Arbite posted:

"Did the Simpsons canadian episode offend me?"

current era of anything in a nutshell.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I'm reasonably sure there have been multiple Canada episodes at this point (one where Milhouse actually has a girlfriend in Canada for reasons I can't recall, one where Homer is scamming free medicine out of the Canadian health service, etc). Are all of them just The Simpsons Are Going To Canada?

I only have the vaguest memory of seeing those two episodes. I think one had Apu arrested when trying to cross the US-Canada border and Burns offers the actual full-size Spruce Moose to get the Simpsons back to Springfield but I couldn't explain why any of that happened or remember even one joke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember the one where the Canadian guy was spray-painting OBEY THE RULES on a wall.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zhumma posted:

Of course not, that would've required the audience to maybe think about a joke for a second or two. Also it's hilarious how the imbeciles at the avclub keep giving every episode b to c ratings despite them being uniformly poo poo. Either they're getting payola or they're even dumber than previously assumed.

AV club reviews are almost never below a C even if the reviewer obviously thinks the episode was complete poo poo and their review is openly talking about how much they hated it. It’s like video game reviews basically, if a game gets anything below 8/10 you gotta assume it was pretty much crap.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text

skasion posted:

AV club reviews are almost never below a C even if the reviewer obviously thinks the episode was complete poo poo and their review is openly talking about how much they hated it. It’s like video game reviews basically, if a game gets anything below 8/10 you gotta assume it was pretty much crap.

Yeah and this is why I assume they're being paid by the mouse to give on average decent scores since peope generally disregard the bulk of the text in favor of fixating on the score/aggregate to determine quality.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1122883279483482119
newfoundlers

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

:lol: at the only reply

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should greenlight that guy's Dr. Hibbert spinoff idea. Can't be any worst than, well, you know.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I want to say that it was the episode where they actively talked about how bad the show is now in that weird 4th wall breaking episode.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vietnamwees posted:

I want to say that it was the episode where they actively talked about how bad the show is now in that weird 4th wall breaking episode.

If you're talking about "Behind the Laughter" there's no way it was the lowest point of the show. I dunno if it was even the lowest point of the season it was in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Applewhite posted:

If you're talking about "Behind the Laughter" there's no way it was the lowest point of the show. I dunno if it was even the lowest point of the season it was in.

God no. That was the season with Kill the Alligator and Run.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still love the recurring character detail in seasons 2-4 where every time someone warns Bart that this behavior will have negative consequences for his adult life, he imagines himself as some sort of alcoholic hobo drifter dying on the side of the road and says, "Cooooooooool," in all sincerity.

*writes in clipboard*

“Pleasing taste, some monsterism.”

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Bart's lovely life is my favourite running gag that didn't get nearly enough play

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bart's lovely life is my favourite running gag that didn't get nearly enough play

they should make a spin-off called "Bart's lovely Life" and it's just Bart being an adult loser, and there are absolutely no jokes, it's just sad and awful

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It still always makes me laugh every time he imagines some lovely future but thinks it’s cool.

Wow, a drifter.:aaa:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SeANMcBAY posted:

It still always makes me laugh every time he imagines some lovely future but thinks it’s cool.

Wow, a drifter.:aaa:

I always liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kAYYGZ8nC8

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
at least we know that even though Bart goes through some lovely patches in life, he eventually grows up to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zhumma posted:

Either they're getting payola or they're even dumber than previously assumed.
It's modern-day AV Club, so just being dumber than fire is a pretty good bet.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

finalellipsis posted:

they should make a spin-off called "Bart's lovely Life" and it's just Bart being an adult loser, and there are absolutely no jokes, it's just sad and awful

People have edited together that Rainer Wolfcastle movie from the clips we see in the show. So a movie made entirely from the clips we see of Bart's hobo life (and eventual supreme court appointment) isn't out of the question. Put them in something that looks like chronological order, leave out any ones where he actually dies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

J-Spot posted:

God no. That was the season with Kill the Alligator and Run.

But Marge, Florida is America's Wang!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Burned into my brain partly due to the Against All Authority song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WYVBqxi464

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, the Simpsons go to Niagra Falls.

Homer sings a song set to "New York, New York" that's about how upstate New York is a bunch of disability benefits scamming low lifes. I actually kinda liked the song; it was at least mean as hell.

Lisa goes over the falls in an inflatable bubble. The Canadians rescue her. She has a political rant that leads them to give her political asylum. She loves it there, so Marge sneaks across the border with the help of the squeeky voiced teen to bring her back.

It sucked.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Sneaks across the border with the help of *throws dart, squints* ...Rainier Wolfcastle

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"Oh, let's say... Moe."

But they did it for real because there's nothing left but to re-reference the funny stuff from the early days

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm from Canada and they think I'm slow, eh?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I'm rewatching "Cape Feare" and jesus christ, the writers were on loving fire for this one. They're managing a perfect line every two goddamn seconds. It's almost too much to take in. It's like freebasing pure comedy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm rewatching "Cape Feare" and jesus christ, the writers were on loving fire for this one. They're managing a perfect line every two goddamn seconds. It's almost too much to take in. It's like freebasing pure comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkaDSiPrFGs

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

So you're not good at quotes. It's a very small part of life. ♪ Quotes, quotes, quotes, quotes... ♪

The absolute peak of Simpsons was when nearly every scene was layered with several jokes at once. And the Sideshow Bob Stepping on Rakes scene is quite possibly one of the greatest bits ever shown on TV, even though it was originally meant to happen once and they ended up stretching it out just to fill the runtime. Truly amazing.

e: lol, this isn't the quote thread. I'll leave it as-is.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 2, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whenever I rewatch that episode, I fast-forward past the rake part :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jay Rust posted:

Blasphemy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

Mods?????

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cape Feare is one of my all time favorite episodes. Love the part where they're watching the video about Terror Lake and it shows how much better it is as a city and has homeless person getting replaced with a mailbox. One of the best gags in the series, imo.

Jay Rust posted:

tell us more about other things that you disapprove of, adolf

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Though in that poster's slight defense, I do feel the gag would have been fine if they cut right after the wide shot stepping on the rakes. When they came back to the close up shot, I felt they kind of overplayed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mr Interweb posted:

Cape Feare is one of my all time favorite episodes. Love the part where they're watching the video about Terror Lake and it shows how much better it is as a city and has homeless person getting replaced with a mailbox. One of the best gags in the series, imo.

That's the Hank Scorpio episode, both are top 10 but Cape Feare is my no.1.