Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

MariusLecter posted:

I doubt he gave that any thought.
He has a stupid and crazy idea about BALANCE, that he was rightfully mocked by his own people for saying out loud.
The 'titans' ruined their planet by some means (likely Capitalism) and didn't do anything practical to stop it and went extinct save for Thanos. He has latched on to 'cull half of all life' as the ONLY way to stop that kind of thing from happening again. With the inability of his people to stop their destruction and ignoring his solution being the only evidence he has to know he is 100% right.

When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Except that his brain is so broken from world-ending trauma that even with an infinitely-magic tool, all he can imagine is an infinitely-magic hammer.

The movies never give you more than just enough information to understand that he's basically a deeply-traumatized religious zealot.

Though I did start to think that his revised plan was basically the same as Ego's plot to remake the universe in second Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If anyone wants to take a serious look at 'what if a huge number of people just disappeared one day?' definitely check out HBO's now-finished series, 'The Leftovers'. It's excellent and downright chilling at times.

It touches on stuff like 'what if you were being driven somewhere, and the driver 'departed'? What if you were pregnant? What if you were Gary Busey?' but in an unnerving way. And then it gets crazy.

And it may or may not actually explain everything at the end :getin:

The Leftovers is interesting because it doesn't explain why 5% of the population disappears. It just happens. The focus of the series is the aftermath & what happens to society that's left to deal with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Leftovers is interesting because it doesn't explain why 5% of the population disappears. It just happens. The focus of the series is the aftermath & what happens to society that's left to deal with it.

Well, if we want to get into it, and put death of the author aside for a bit...

Leftovers spoilers ahoy!

Originally, Lindelof wanted to immediately show the other side of what happened, during the scene where the baby disappears from the mother's car. It would show the baby, crying alone, and no one is in the front seat (or around the car, either). Someone advised against it, and so that was built into Nora's explanation. However, there's enough doubt in both her story (she had reasons to lie), and also that quick moment just as she's about to be sent there where she starts to protest, that it leaves it open. But apparently, that whole scientific explanation that Mark Linn Baker and the scientists talked about is actually what it was, at least in Lindelof's head and original intent

Then again, the author of the novel never gave out any sort of explanation, so :shrug:

I do love that it's not official, though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Refresh me on the differences?

In ME1 Sovereign says that the reaper sow technology to the races so they will develop around it and make technological advances with it. Then after thousands of years, before organics become too powerful, they come back to annihilate us and steal the improved technology back. It was about using organic creativity that they lacked to advance their technology since they were incapable of that sort of stuff. Sowed with technology and then reaped.

Then later it became that we're all just dicks and need to die lest we kill each other.

iirc

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I just want to know what Thanos thinks about all the innocent people that died because half of the universe turned to dust.

There's people who died on the operating table because the doctor got snapped. Aircraft that crashed because suddenly they didn't have a pilot (we see this one, like, immediately in Infinity War's post-credits). He quite clearly didn't just kill half the universe, he definitely killed far more just by nature of what he did. Does he care? Was the 50/50 thing actually important to him, or did he just decide 'eh, close enough good enough'?

When you wipe out half the living beings in the universe a couple of planes and whatnot arent even a rounding error.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

SiKboy posted:

When you wipe out half the living beings in the universe a couple of planes and whatnot arent even a rounding error.

But planets are spherical

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Decrepus posted:

In ME1 Sovereign says that the reaper sow technology to the races so they will develop around it and make technological advances with it. Then after thousands of years, before organics become too powerful, they come back to annihilate us and steal the improved technology back. It was about using organic creativity that they lacked to advance their technology since they were incapable of that sort of stuff. Sowed with technology and then reaped.

Then later it became that we're all just dicks and need to die lest we kill each other.

iirc

Is that from some background or hidden information or from any books? None of the dialogue with sovereign in-game supports that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX25HVtRvQY

The reapers motivations have been consistent throughout the series. They seeded the mass effect relays and the citadel to dictate how society evolves on a galactic scale, but there is no mention in mass effect 1 of them caring at all about any technology those organics develop.

Aphrodite posted:

Thanos’ plan was to halve the universe then retire to his farm. No repetition.

So his plan was stupid and he's just a psychopath, and anybody hero-worshipping thanos for "making hard choices" are the same people who say "the empire did nothing wrong" in star wars, and would support fascism and totalitarianism in real life, as long as they get to bootlick the oppressors.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 18:24 on May 1, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MariusLecter posted:

I doubt he gave that any thought.
He has a stupid and crazy idea about BALANCE, that he was rightfully mocked by his own people for saying out loud.
The 'titans' ruined their planet by some means (likely Capitalism) and didn't do anything practical to stop it and went extinct save for Thanos. He has latched on to 'cull half of all life' as the ONLY way to stop that kind of thing from happening again. With the inability of his people to stop their destruction and ignoring his solution being the only evidence he has to know he is 100% right.

Tying into this, it feeds into the whole idea that it's the fault of the beings he's erasing for him "having" to go to extreme measures like that. Like Cleretic pointed out, potentially a LOT more than half of all life would be wiped out, simply based on who dies & when. Oops, doctor got dusted mid-heart surgery? People died as a result of vehicles crashing haphazardly into each other? Not Thanos's fault, because in his mind if they had just listened & went along with his plan, everything would be okay (even though there's no way to predict the outcome of the snap). Dusting half the life in the universe arbitrarily means he feels like he's free from consequences after the fact, because he's hosed in the head.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And also, most people don't know that's what he's doing, but he expects everyone to just get it and be immediately grateful.

I mean there are more whales five years later, right?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

And also, most people don't know that's what he's doing, but he expects everyone to just get it and be immediately grateful.

I mean there are more whales five years later, right?

I'm not sure if the implication was as much "whales gently caress way more now" as it was "the Hudson is nowhere near as polluted now and whales are taking more territory because they can."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

More whales, cleaner water, less humanity sounds like a definite win to me

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm pretty sure he killed 50% of the whales too.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

More whales, cleaner water, less humanity sounds like a definite win to me

I want to be mad at your misanthropy, but, really, fair enough

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

SiKboy posted:

If there’s less whales how can there be more whales? Your argument is flawed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

And the whales would have a tough time recovering from that loss. Genetically they could be hosed.

4 years later the rat population was back to normal. Thanos' idea wasn't well thought out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SiKboy posted:

Did he take exactly half of every species or half of all life in aggregate? I mean he didn't take half of Hawkeye's family, so some species groups may have been over-reaped compared to their over all population.

If the former, he definitely killed half the whales. And there are some endangered species that this would be the death knell of the species because they might not have enough breeding pairs left after the snap.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

marshmallow creep posted:

Did he take exactly half of every species or half of all life in aggregate? I mean he didn't take half of Hawkeye's family, so some species groups may have been over-reaped compared to their over all population.

If the former, he definitely killed half the whales. And there are some endangered species that this would be the death knell of the species because they might not have enough breeding pairs left after the snap.

Yes, half of ALL LIFE.
Humans, whales, corn, plankton... etc,

He definitely caused mass extinctions by wiping out so much bio-diversity that caused entire ecosystems to collapse.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Time is a flat four snaps in a circle

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Humanity is a cancer on the planet and eliminating half the population would be a major benefit, but Thanos killed trillions across the entire universe so that's going to far imo. And yea, the animals were innocent.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Here's the craziest bit about Thanos' motivations or plan It's all make believe, who gives a poo poo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Here's the craziest bit about Thanos' motivations or plan It's all make believe, who gives a poo poo

It's like video games. Now there's some deranged fan who is inspired to kill half the universe.

We may have already created a much fatter and weaker Thanos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Yes, half of ALL LIFE.

He definitely caused mass extinctions by wiping out so much bio-diversity that caused entire ecosystems to collapse.

the directors said they intended half of *all* life but we don't see any plants getting dusted in the jungle so from in-film evidence it probably excluded autotrophs

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

the directors said they intended half of *all* life but we don't see any plants getting dusted in the jungle so from in-film evidence it probably excluded autotrophs

From Endgame Ant-Man seems to know they reversed the Snap just from looking outside in the courtyard. I assumed the tree out there was dead in a prior scene and now it was alive. However, I do not recall seeing the tree before that point.The tree is then destroyed.

The lack of plants getting dusted may have been sloppy editing or perhaps they wanted to ensure all the attention was on the superheroes and not a bunch of pines.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

From Endgame Ant-Man seems to know they reversed the Snap just from looking outside in the courtyard. I assumed the tree out there was dead in a prior scene and now it was alive. However, I do not recall seeing the tree before that point.The tree is then destroyed.

The lack of plants getting dusted may have been sloppy editing or perhaps they wanted to ensure all the attention was on the superheroes and not a bunch of pines.

I thought Scott was looking at the birds, which seemed to be happy. There were two chasing each other around, and I think it was just implied.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was ^^^ that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So the birds took the Snap the hard too? Other animal species were as emotionally damaged as people?

OMG all those sad dogs!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It never explicitly stated or drawn attention but in certain scenes you could see Thanos dick swaying to and fro because dude is like ten feet tall he’s got to have a foot and a half long penis it’s just science

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Endgame
I did enjoy the little callback to Avengers 1 when Thor zapped Tony's chest to jumpstart his heart after Ant-Man broke his arc reactor to make the distraction. Thor tried to electrocute Tony in Avengers 1 and accidentally supercharged the Iron Man suit, so it makes sense that he'd try to do a little shock again to get the arc reactor working.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

oldpainless posted:

If there’s less whales how can there be more whales? Your argument is flawed.

Whales are an endangered species. Halving a population that's already critically low could doom them to extinction.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

MariusLecter posted:

Yes, half of ALL LIFE.

"All creatures" according to the movie itself.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Arcsquad12 posted:

Endgame
I did enjoy the little callback to Avengers 1 when Thor zapped Tony's chest to jumpstart his heart after Ant-Man broke his arc reactor to make the distraction. Thor tried to electrocute Tony in Avengers 1 and accidentally supercharged the Iron Man suit, so it makes sense that he'd try to do a little shock again to get the arc reactor working.

They do it again when they first start fighting Thanos and Thor hits him with lightning from both his weapons to supercharge Tony's armor

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Movie Thanos is a really dumb guy from your Philosophy class.

I'm Thanos?

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

We all Thanos

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Away all Goats posted:

They do it again when they first start fighting Thanos and Thor hits him with lightning from both his weapons to supercharge Tony's armor

I think Tony actually had a thingy put into his armor that was designed specifically to do Thor power combos.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Popeahuntis posted:

We all Thanos

Than Us

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

It never explicitly stated or drawn attention but in certain scenes you could see Thanos dick swaying to and fro because dude is like ten feet tall he’s got to have a foot and a half long penis it’s just science

More like olddickless.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Beachcomber posted:

I think Tony actually had a thingy put into his armor that was designed specifically to do Thor power combos.

Agreed. The back kinda pops open.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Roblo posted:

Agreed. The back kinda pops open.

I mean, at that point Tony's suit is basically a semi-amorphous mass of nanites that reconfigure themselves at his slightest whim so it probably didn't have a Thor Empowering Gizmo until he decided it needed one

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The trend towards suits full of nanites that fold away into nothing was frustrating. Especially with Ant-Man's suit, which is supposed to look rather clunky and make satisfying clicking and popping noises. Same goes for Spider-man. If he can't do it with web-shooters then it doesn't need to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You paid for Robert Downey Jr's face and body you can't hide that behind a suit of armor. It needs to be form fitting and we need to see his full head as much as possible. No more face cam footage or retractable helmet visors, we need full on dematerialization.