Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was there some big split vote plan between all the non Ron/Julie/Devens people? Is that what happened? My broadcast was all hosed up so I ended up watching the episode in pieces so I could have missed something big like that. But I still don't get how the math worked at all. It completely relied on Devens using an idol. If the plan was to split the votes and it went accordingly that was loving dumb as hell and should have blown up in their faces. If not then i still gotta assume Victoria or Aurora wussed out and flipped.

I don't know who can win besides Devens because they're all kind of incompetent, invisible, backstabbing, idiots. Its a coin flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

TMMadman posted:

I'm a big fan of Rick Devins regardless of whether he wins or loses.

He's got some good personality going on.

He's the only entertaining one left in the game. Even Ron was fun to watch for his comically villain confessionals.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

Was there some big split vote plan between all the non Ron/Julie/Devens people? Is that what happened? My broadcast was all hosed up so I ended up watching the episode in pieces so I could have missed something big like that. But I still don't get how the math worked at all. It completely relied on Devens using an idol. If the plan was to split the votes and it went accordingly that was loving dumb as hell and should have blown up in their faces. If not then i still gotta assume Victoria or Aurora wussed out and flipped.

I don't know who can win besides Devens because they're all kind of incompetent, invisible, backstabbing, idiots. Its a coin flip.

A returnee from the Edge of Extinction.

Victoria and Lauren played the "We're mad we didn't get picked for family reward." Aurora is happy the consensus is not her. Gavin played the "I don't know if I want to vote out Ron after he took me and my wife on our honeymoon." Ends up going with the plan anyway.

Don't know what Julie is going to do now. I'm not seeing her as a winner at all. All of Lauren's takes are bland. Victoria gets almost no airtime. Aurora gets airtime because she gets into petty fights with people. I forgot Gavin existed even though I included him earlier in this very post (googled the cast list to see who I forgot to mention).

The only people I see winning are Rick and the Returnee.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 2, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

There was a bit between a couple of the girls where they were like, "If Devons has an idol he'll pick who goes home"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

They keep voting out the perceived "biggest threat". Not having an obvious winner at this point of the game is exciting because anyone left could win.
Devens mostly shows what a huge advantage it can be to be comfortable performing in front of cameras.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I probably have to go back and rewatch the post immunity bit as I must have missed stuff in the screwiness. I just got done with RHAP and they were over the moon about how great a plan it was and how it was all Victoria's idea and she was incredible and etc. I think Fish just is playing favorites a bit with Victoria and they did bring up the question of why they needed to put votes on Rick later but then just brushed it off. But what I can figure from them is:

- Victoria, Lauren, and Aurora decided Rick would play an idol and then pick who goes home so they wanted to subvert that and Aurora gave Gavin the extra vote to kind of cement him?

So I guess the plan was just never actually to get Ron out? It was to keep Devens as the main target but make Ron the victim if Rick played an idol? I guess that makes more sense but it still feels over complicated and somewhat strategically and socially questionable. I dunno. I definitely should rewatch I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ideally, Rick goes home with 4 votes. Sure Ron would see that he got votes, but they can just say, 'you were the backup, we don't feel comfortable that Rick would get to say who went home if he had an idol'. Just flatter his ego, say that he's the biggest threat, yadda yadda yadda. I mean, there's always the danger that he and/or Julie takes it personally, but what can you do in a split.

Aurora gave Gavin the extra vote because, in the weird event of a tie (I'm not sure why there would be a tie in this situation), Gavin is guaranteed safety and can reuse the vote to take out their target (Ron). Maybe it was juuust in case Ron and Julie flipped to vote Aurora as well?

Am I the only person that was just rolling my eyes at the Rick show? He was so obviously overly hamming it up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

I guess I probably have to go back and rewatch the post immunity bit as I must have missed stuff in the screwiness. I just got done with RHAP and they were over the moon about how great a plan it was and how it was all Victoria's idea and she was incredible and etc. I think Fish just is playing favorites a bit with Victoria and they did bring up the question of why they needed to put votes on Rick later but then just brushed it off. But what I can figure from them is:

- Victoria, Lauren, and Aurora decided Rick would play an idol and then pick who goes home so they wanted to subvert that and Aurora gave Gavin the extra vote to kind of cement him?

So I guess the plan was just never actually to get Ron out? It was to keep Devens as the main target but make Ron the victim if Rick played an idol? I guess that makes more sense but it still feels over complicated and somewhat strategically and socially questionable. I dunno. I definitely should rewatch I guess.

I will save you the hard work, it's literally like 30 seconds of screentime, at least for the split vote. (Also this was a half assed screenshot, they were talking to a third party too)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just love how Devens has fully reached the point where he has nothing to lose and is 100% aware of it. He doesn't care, and he doesn't care who knows he doesn't care. "Hey, if you guys give me this immunity, I'll take all six of you to the final three, promise! ;)"

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Zesty posted:

Rick gets voted out again, returns again and wins

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"You gave me the majority of the votes twice this game, I'm just asking for you to do it a third time"

(For the smart asses, idols cancel votes so the successful idol plays are not the majority of votes) :smug:

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ideally, Rick goes home with 4 votes. Sure Ron would see that he got votes, but they can just say, 'you were the backup, we don't feel comfortable that Rick would get to say who went home if he had an idol'. Just flatter his ego, say that he's the biggest threat, yadda yadda yadda. I mean, there's always the danger that he and/or Julie takes it personally, but what can you do in a split.

Aurora gave Gavin the extra vote because, in the weird event of a tie (I'm not sure why there would be a tie in this situation), Gavin is guaranteed safety and can reuse the vote to take out their target (Ron). Maybe it was juuust in case Ron and Julie flipped to vote Aurora as well?

Am I the only person that was just rolling my eyes at the Rick show? He was so obviously overly hamming it up.

Probably. Understandable reaction when someone was just trying to embarrass you for their big moment. Hope he amps up the comedy since everybody else not on EoE is incredibly boring.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly, this is just who he is. From day 1 and the not aired scene where he said his name was also The Wardog. He is like a half troll this season.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, this is just who he is. From day 1 and the not aired scene where he said his name was also The Wardog. He is like a half troll this season.

LOL that's great. Do you remember where you saw this?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AWarmBody posted:

Reem finally mellowed out? The last line was her comforting Ron, saying it's okay, everyone's a liar
That's the most chill reception I've seen her give
I think it’s just becaus he wasn’t on her original tribe.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

freeman posted:

Pretty sure it's in this thread... probably in the first few pages :)

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'd like to see Devens win but I just don't see any way anybody agrees to take him to the Final 3. The jury were openly rooting for him, it's gotta be obvious to all of them that if he gets to Final 3, he wins. So unless he goes on some kind of idol-finding/immunity-winning spree I've gotta think he's done.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zesty posted:

I'm almost sold on the galaxy brain take that Julie is winning. All the Not-Ricks are too invisible to win but Julie fits the profile of someone whose edit would be bungled this badly.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

freeman posted:

The moment itself didn't air, so it's only been retold via interviews or Twitter or something.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm almost sold on the galaxy brain take that Julie is winning. All the Not-Ricks are too invisible to win but Julie fits the profile of someone whose edit would be bungled this badly.

Julie comes across to me as another 0 vote mom like Monica Culpepper or Dawn. It feels like people don't like her emotional game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

She's a complete follower and will only get spite votes, and at this point I don't feel like there can be a final she can win with those

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

I just love how Devens has fully reached the point where he has nothing to lose and is 100% aware of it. He doesn't care, and he doesn't care who knows he doesn't care. "Hey, if you guys give me this immunity, I'll take all six of you to the final three, promise! ;)"

Wendy 2.0
Actually more like Angelina from last season. But when a woman grandstands for the jury people roll their eyes at the pandering attempt

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 2, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

please don't insult Devens like that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vic👏🏻to👏🏻ria

The Vic/Lauren plan made perfect sense idk what y’all are on about.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The vote-split made sense. The extra vote thing was kind of dumb, but I guess it was on-brand for Aurora who had already given it away in an awkward attempt to shore up a relationship. And if she felt safe that night (and honestly I don’t think she has that much cred in the game at the end of the day), it was a somewhat understandable play, given that it was the last night she could use it.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I was a bit more aligned with this take last week when she was at peak “nice mom”, but now she’s been on the wrong side of too many blindsides, plus Rick put a dent in her image with that TC call-out.

If Rick doesn’t win, I would be surprised if the winner isn’t Victoria/Lauren/returnee.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Actually more like Angelina from last season. But when a woman grandstands for the jury people roll their eyes at the pandering attempt

Nah. She was called out for trying to have it both ways. Rick turned the tables on someone who tried to fool him.

Also, don't forget that Angelina is the one who tried to needlessly humiliate another player for no purpose.

And the person you quoted talking about Rick's comment at the immunity challenge was very obviously a joke. He's having fun out there. Good for him.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

vic👏🏻to👏🏻ria

The plan to put 2 votes on Ron or whomever in case Devins had an idol is a fine plan. Adding the double vote was completely unnecessary as was bringing in Gavin except for the possibility of passing the blame.

Seriously, there were only 7 votes and 6 of them originally were planning to vote Devins while Devins isn't going to vote himself.

They only needed 2 votes on Ron to send him home. They didn't need Aurora or Gavin, but with Aurora they controlled 4 of the 8 votes on the island.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

The plan to put 2 votes on Ron or whomever in case Devins had an idol is a fine plan. Adding the double vote was completely unnecessary as was bringing in Gavin except for the possibility of passing the blame.

Seriously, there were only 7 votes and 6 of them originally were planning to vote Devins while Devins isn't going to vote himself.

They only needed 2 votes on Ron to send him home. They didn't need Aurora or Gavin, but with Aurora they controlled 4 of the 8 votes on the island.

They didn’t want to blindside Gavin and isolate themselves if Rick didn’t play an idol. Getting buy-in from a majority of the tribe on the plan is smart. The double vote wasn’t strictly necessary but probably made Gavin feel special it’s fine.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's also the possibility that Ron was going to have himself or Julie put a vote on Aurora just in case

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TMMadman posted:

This is all assuming that Ron (and everyone else, really) actually does what he says, which you can't take as a 100% possibility. With your plan, if Ron and Julie switch to Aurora it's 3 Aurora/2 Ron and she bites it.

Also Aurora said this was the last opportunity to play the bonus vote. This way she solidifies Gavin on the plan so he has less reason to doubt her.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think one of the things about this season is that most of the players seem to want to rope in anyone they think would go along with their plan even if they don’t need the vote. Furthermore, Gavin has said he’ll basically go along with any plan if you have the numbers and he particularly doesn’t like being left out of the loop.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
so much :love: for rick devins, but i agree there's little to no hope he doesn't get voted out before the final three. that was such a great tribal.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can call Ron a liar as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that with the exception of Julia and the live tribal, Ron has not voted for a single member of the original Kama 6. Now sure Aurora isn't part of that original 6, but I still think I would have counted on Ron voting Devins.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lmao the season 39 gimmick is bringing back the funny “Cochran offers advice” gimmick, but permanently, with Rob and Sandra playing the Cochran role.

“Throughout the season, players will be sent to the Island of the Idols via various methods, and while there they have a chance to gain advice and advantages from the pair of past champions. Think of it as sort of like Ghost Island, except instead of being populated by cursed props of Survivor past, Boston Rob and Queen Sandra haunt the hallowed grounds.

Rob and Sandra are NOT active players within the game, meaning they are not eligible to win the prize money, and their involvement in the season will remain a secret to the cast, at least for a while. Obviously, those sent to the Island will learn of the veterans’ presence, but as far as Inside Survivor has learned, the players are encouraged to keep Rob and Sandra a secret upon returning to camp.”

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

vic👏🏻to👏🏻ria

STAC Goat just didn't get it because the episode that aired for him had no vocal track for half the show, so he surmised it was an attempt to blindside Ron, when it actually was people figuring Devens might play an idol and trying to safely set up the back-up vote to their liking. It was a nice move.

Vernacular posted:

I was a bit more aligned with this take last week when she was at peak “nice mom”, but now she’s been on the wrong side of too many blindsides, plus Rick put a dent in her image with that TC call-out.

If Rick doesn’t win, I would be surprised if the winner isn’t Victoria/Lauren/returnee.
Yeah, I had Julie really high last week because they showed us her working with Lauren, and I actually bought in to the extra vote hand-back to Aurora building a relationship there with Ron, at which point once Devens goes, I figured those 3 or 4 people could run it. This episode majorly up-ended everything.

Victoria seems like basically a badass... if she was going to win I don't know why we wouldn't have seen more of her. Maybe we're getting a Julie/Lauren/?? f3, and they're just doing the best they can to show Lauren included in these last two votes. Victoria possible fire challenge loser? Aurora in the mix? I like Devens, but I really don't want him at the end, because it means either another player idol/immunity running their way through the entire post-merge, or a player who was voted out twice. I would really hope the jury is able to resist voting for someone like that this time around.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Luvcow posted:

so much :love: for rick devins, but i agree there's little to no hope he doesn't get voted out before the final three. that was such a great tribal.

Rick is 100% playing to the Jury at this point, he is a dead man walking without an Idol or HII run and he knows it 100%. I don't think any remaining people would be willing to pull him in, cause they know he would win if he's sitting in final three.

Ron and Julie really misplayed this week cause lying to Devens gives you nothing in the game at this point and potential burns a jury vote. Ron and Julie really should've been working a vote split with someone, cause if the plan is everyone is voting for one person and you are not in on a vote split plan then you are a potential target of a vote split plan. The same could be potentially said that if you are aware of a vote split plan and your are voting the actual target, you are the potential target as well.

Reem may have been cool with Ron at Extinction because she has never played with Ron at all. I thought her saltiness in the past was against the original Manu players.

Edit: I wonder if there is a confessional of Gavins weighing his options that they just didn't show. He knew exactly what everyone was going to do and he really made the decision of who would go home. He could've convinced Ron and Julie to vote any of either Aurora, Lauren, or Victoria and used the second vote to have 4 votes.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 2, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

Lmao the season 39 gimmick is bringing back the funny “Cochran offers advice” gimmick, but permanently, with Rob and Sandra playing the Cochran role.

“Throughout the season, players will be sent to the Island of the Idols via various methods, and while there they have a chance to gain advice and advantages from the pair of past champions. Think of it as sort of like Ghost Island, except instead of being populated by cursed props of Survivor past, Boston Rob and Queen Sandra haunt the hallowed grounds.

Rob and Sandra are NOT active players within the game, meaning they are not eligible to win the prize money, and their involvement in the season will remain a secret to the cast, at least for a while. Obviously, those sent to the Island will learn of the veterans’ presence, but as far as Inside Survivor has learned, the players are encouraged to keep Rob and Sandra a secret upon returning to camp.”

it's goofy as all hell but basically doing a "Boston Rob Island" version of Ghost Island is probably better than another of these Edge of Extinction seasons... Doesn't necessarily add too much bullshit to the game. I wonder if you tell Rob and Sandra a bunch of stuff when you go to the island, and then later someone else goes, if they'll spill your poo poo? lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just realized we didn't get an EoE scene with The Wardog this week and that's disappointing to me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what would have happened if Ron told Aurora/Victoria that he gave Devins a fake advantage. Do you think they would have gotten as paranoid? Might they have stuck to voting out Devins which would have gotten Aurora bounced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

my guess is it wouldn't have changed anything... it was everyone against Devens so it was a clear vote split situation. I don't think Ron telling them he gave Devens a fake idol relaly would/should be enough to abandon attempting a vote split. Ron must have at least told them Devens was going to be voting for Aurora, but i mean they don't know that for sure and they wanted to do better.