Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

lol :wtc:

Didn't they literally say last time that they were just waiting on the publisher or something?

If the PS4 version releases before the Switch that would just be the cherry on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I defeated the final boss of Picross S2 the other day, now I'm starting up Picross S3. No spoilers plz.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

I've started on the third chapters and, yeah, Olberic's proper story basically ends in the third.

The duelling skills (both) are so bad. The combat system isn't too great, but when you have just two characters trading for ten turns it's just horrible.
For the rest of the game I at least have the 'never leaving party' core of Tressa, Cyrus and Therion who end up close to 10 levels above recommended.

I forgot about those challenges! Just exchanging hits and healing for about 20 turns, such great exciting gameplay!

I was complaining earlier about picking Therion as my first but his thief skills basically make him immortal and he hits like a truck

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

tbh I enjoyed my time with Slay the Spire but it's also poo poo in a lot of ways. Steamworld Quest is a way better experience.

Also worth noting that the Steamworld devs made and released it in about the time it's taking the StS folks to do a port.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Only twenty more shrines and I get the master sword and also get to start increasing my stamina :negative:

Food helps with the last bit at least

Swap hearts for stamina in Hateno. Then when you have the magic number convert all your stamina to hearts and get the Master Sword then you can revert hearts back to stamina.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

tbh I enjoyed my time with Slay the Spire but it's also poo poo in a lot of ways. Steamworld Quest is a way better experience.

Also worth noting that the Steamworld devs made and released it in about the time it's taking the StS folks to do a port.

Slay the Spire is the best card game ever made

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

Slay the Spire is the best card game ever made

It's entertaining but it has serious issues with enemy variety and its difficulty curve.

I think it also lacks a bit in content. Steam Workshop helped considerably with that, but obviously that's not going to be a factor on Switch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

It's entertaining but it has serious issues with enemy variety and its difficulty curve.

I think it also lacks a bit in content. Steam Workshop helped considerably with that, but obviously that's not going to be a factor on Switch.

I couldn't get into it because the art design looks like poo poo. I can't believe that's what they went with.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I never had problems with any of those

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

I never had problems with any of those

I mean, if you're cool with fighting the same 4-5 enemies per floor every single run that's great I guess. I found it to be pretty tiresome after a while, especially considering how brain-dead easy the first floor is.

The last floor in contrast is so difficult that if you're trying to do anything even a little creative with your deck you'll probably end up getting creamed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RandomFerret posted:

Should have done stamina first. It opens up more shrines.

There's none I've been unable to reach or complete so far but the gyroscope ones are pretty tedious

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't been to Hateno yet but that's a good thing to know I can do thank you

E: gently caress that wasn't edit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Picross is a desease and it’s cutting into my FF12 time. I’m like 5-6 away from finish Picross 1 (not including the Megas) and some of these are straight up bullshit. I’ve figured out a good chunk of ways to eliminate and fill boards but when the entire thing is just a bunch of 1 2 and you’re left guessing i feel real dumb.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I guess the inherent issue with a deck-builder rogue-like is winning is always going to be dependent on the strength of the deck you've put together. It's not like Binding of Isaac where greater knowledge of the game's systems and technical skill can carry you through otherwise crap runs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, if you're cool with fighting the same 4-5 enemies per floor every single run that's great I guess. I found it to be pretty tiresome after a while, especially considering how brain-dead easy the first floor is.

The last floor in contrast is so difficult that if you're trying to do anything even a little creative with your deck you'll probably end up getting creamed.

I don't really mind act 4 being difficult as hell since it's the last thing, it's for the good runs where I have a kickass deck. You don't even need to clear it for ascension progress.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked slay the spire until i got to endgame because the 4th level is really obnoxious and the game got way too tedious and repetitive before I was able to beat it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Picross is a desease and it’s cutting into my FF12 time. I’m like 5-6 away from finish Picross 1 (not including the Megas) and some of these are straight up bullshit. I’ve figured out a good chunk of ways to eliminate and fill boards but when the entire thing is just a bunch of 1 2 and you’re left guessing i feel real dumb.

I love Picross! Easily my favorites game series of all time, I've dumped probably a thousand hours into them between the different releases on DS and Switch. An important thing to remember is that no matter how hard the puzzles seem, you never have to guess, not really, there's always a way to logic your way through it. If you get stuck, you can always post a screenshot, fellow Picross lovers seem more than willing to help out.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't been to Hateno yet but that's a good thing to know I can do thank you

E: gently caress that wasn't edit

Hateno is where you should've gone super early before doing anything. It has the main rune you need and kicks off the open nature of the game. Don't chase stamina and hearts via shrines, you don't need them and it sounds like you're killing any potential love of the game by forcing yourself to them.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 2, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who asked for this? I know one of you did...
https://gematsu.com/2019/05/blades-of-time-remaster-coming-to-switch-on-may-14

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

Hateno is where you should've gone super early before doing anything. It has the main rune you need and kicks off the open nature of the game. Don't chase stamina and hearts via shrines, you don't need them and it sounds like you're killing your potential love of the game by forcing yourself to them.

The Zora dot was closer to Kakariko :negative:

I actually enjoy doing the shrines except these bad gyro ones but especially after the one-shot spree of the Lynel I think I want to shore up asap anyway and I only have so many radishes for temp hp. It's just lame they're so disconnected from everything.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah, I can’t comment on Picross but I solved every puzzle in both Picross 3D games without guessing. Sometimes it seemed like I had to until I thought more about it - there was always a way to make a sure move.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dantheman650 posted:

Yeah, I can’t comment on Picross but I solved every puzzle in both Picross 3D games without guessing. Sometimes it seemed like I had to until I thought more about it - there was always a way to make a sure move.

I haven't seen any real 1 2 only puzzles but almost all of them you can always just assume where things must be, like with 4 4 3 you know that a particular pattern of 3 3 2 will have to go in somewhere for the first 3 and the 2.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I actually enjoy doing the shrines except these bad gyro ones but especially after the one-shot spree of the Lynel I think I want to shore up asap anyway and I only have so many radishes for temp hp. It's just lame they're so disconnected from everything.
There's whole sections of the map you haven't seen that have food items that make the heart radish a waste of time. Get to hateno, unlock the rune, and you'll see.

And that's why I was saying treat shrines and towers as rewards. The game is about exploration, but the last generation of games taught folks to "complete" everything before getting to the fun stuff. But the fun stuff in botw is the exploration, so enjoy it.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 2, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Armor is way more important than extra hearts for surviving tough enemies like Lynels.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Armor is way more important than extra hearts for surviving tough enemies like Lynels.

This is super true. Armor is what keeps you from getting one shot, as in, if you were to take damage that would've killed you, it drops to one heart instead.

Which is also in hateno...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi thread, my GF bought me a Switch for my birthday. The only game I’m even really aware of is Breath of the Wild, which seems like an auto-include.

I’ve had a 3DS for years but haven’t done more than really borrow a Wii to play Bayonetta 2 since GameCube, or Smash Bros and Mario Kart at a friend’s house. What are the premier titles for Nintendo Switch? I hate sports and rhythm games, everything else is fair game.

Also I’m a PS4 user, how is the Nintendo version of PS+ or whatever? Do I need it to get the most out of my new console?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi thread, my GF bought me a Switch for my birthday. The only game I’m even really aware of is Breath of the Wild, which seems like an auto-include.

I’ve had a 3DS for years but haven’t done more than really borrow a Wii to play Bayonetta 2 since GameCube, or Smash Bros and Mario Kart at a friend’s house. What are the premier titles for Nintendo Switch? I hate sports and rhythm games, everything else is fair game.

Also I’m a PS4 user, how is the Nintendo version of PS+ or whatever? Do I need it to get the most out of my new console?

Super Mario Odyssey

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

it kinda sucks because Nintendo is bad at Online anything but it's super cheap ($20/year, less if you join a family plan) and you need it to play most games online. comes with free NES games though and Tetris 99, so it's worth it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It's pretty much worthless unless you want to play online. If you do want to play online at least it's cheap (+ there's tetris).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

This is super true. Armor is what keeps you from getting one shot, as in, if you were to take damage that would've killed you, it drops to one heart instead.

Which is also in hateno...

The good news is I just made it to the Fort so I guess I owned myself by doing everything I see first :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bust Rodd posted:

Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Mario x Rabbids
Splatoon 2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Smash Bros Ultimate is really great if you've ever been into the series. Even if you're not, the single player mode, World of Light, is an incredible nostalgia trip.

Other than that, I'd recommend checking out the eShop, there are a TON of great indie games on there that are perfect for a portable system. Some of my faves have been Stardew Valley, Gungeon, and Enter the Breach.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Are there any games that really shine on the Switch compared to their PS4 ports? It’s mostly for my overnights at work, so I imagined long RPGs and Metroidvania stuff would really shine, but apparently some games look super amazing and some games don’t?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Hi thread, my GF bought me a Switch for my birthday.

:sever:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bust Rodd posted:

Are there any games that really shine on the Switch compared to their PS4 ports? It’s mostly for my overnights at work, so I imagined long RPGs and Metroidvania stuff would really shine, but apparently some games look super amazing and some games don’t?

Dragon's Dogma has a solid Switch port that just released. Hollow Knight and Into the Breach are both good metroidvanias that play excellently with the portable nature of the Switch

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alan_Shore posted:

All of Octopath's stories are pretty average to bad. I haven't finished them all yet but so far Tressa and Olberic's last bosses were barely even related to their stories and introduced in the last chapter. I'm sure they won't be the last either.

Olberic’s final boss is the man who orchestrated the fall of Hornberg, which is like the most important event in Obleric’s life so I’m not really sure why you think that isn’t significant.

Tressa... is Tressa. She does whatever she wants and her story is kinda random.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If you're looking for RPGs, Square Enix has been porting a bunch of the Final Fantasy games. I think so far you can play FF7, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I was curious why FF8 hadn't been ported and apparently it's really difficult to do because they lost the original source code and the PC version is a hacked together mess.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/14/isnt-ps4-xbox-switch-port-final-fantasy-8-preservation-may-answer/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s funny to me that the core part of Octopath was supposed to be some grand interwoven story but they failed so absolutely miserably at it. Honestly they didn’t even try when it could have been so interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Dragon's Dogma has a solid Switch port that just released. Hollow Knight and Into the Breach are both good metroidvanias that play excellently with the portable nature of the Switch

Yeah, both HK and Into the Breach are excellent ports.