Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krebs used to be cool and clever. What happened?

E: maybe he had a lovely snipe and never recovered from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
He's long had a thin skin and most of his scoops rely heavily on having his pal Alex Holden lurk on message boards translating idiomatic Russian for him

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Docker Hub hacked. 190k accounts exposed via usernames, hashed passwords, and github/bitbucket auth tokens.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19763413

FYI docker hub doesn’t support 2fa, makes you register an account just to download things (can be circumvented by googling for direct links but come on), and requires full github account access for those exposed tokens to take advantage of many features.

Lol

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Anybody have context on why Kevin Mitnick is harassing @notdan?

https://twitter.com/notdan/status/1122130594475991040

I don't know the whole backstory but probably related to this

https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/1121451458497351681

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Garrand posted:

Want to know more about this internet drama!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Garrand posted:

Kerbs off His Meds

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
This kills the Kreb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've lost a lot of respect for him, since his goal is apparently to piss off the infosec field by outing people.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/zeroday-attackers-deliver-a-double-dose-of-ransomware-no-clicking-required

quote:

The vulnerability is easy to exploit because all that’s required is HTTP access to a vulnerable WebLogic server. Its severity rating under the Common Vulnerability Scoring System is 9.8 out of a possible 10. The attackers send vulnerable servers a POST command that contains a PowerShell command that downloads and then executes a malicious file called “radm.exe.” Besides PowerShell, attackers also exploit CVE-2019-2725 to use the Certutil command-line utility. Other files that get downloaded and executed include office.exe and untitled.exe

:stare: Uh, is this possible with IIS as well?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lmao I may or may not have a weblogic service in an app that dev is building right now

time to go pause their hideously-slow progress and loving patch it.

Again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, it's limited to specific versions of WebLogic. The ars writeup isn't very clear, but the powershell command is part of the payload, not the exploit.

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K90059138

quote:

Vulnerability in the Oracle WebLogic Server component of Oracle Fusion Middleware (subcomponent: Web Services). Supported versions that are affected are 10.3.6.0.0 and 12.1.3.0.0. Easily exploitable vulnerability allows unauthenticated attacker with network access via HTTP to compromise Oracle WebLogic Server. Successful attacks of this vulnerability can result in takeover of Oracle WebLogic Server. CVSS 3.0 Base Score 9.8 (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability impacts). CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H). (CVE-2019-2725)

e:
https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Unpatched+Vulnerability+Alert+WebLogic+Zero+Day/24880/

quote:

The news today is full of a new deserialization vulnerability in Oracle WebLogic. This affects all current versions of the product (the POC is against 10.3, but 12.x versions are also affected). The vulnerability affects the wls9_async_response package (which is not included by default in all builds), so the workaround is to either ACL the Z/_async/* and /wls-wsat/* paths, or delete wls9_async_response.war. A successful attack gets the attacker remote code exec on the vulnerable server.

The root cause here seems to be that the affected WAR components ingest and process all serialized data, and have a blacklist of "bad" content. What this means to me is that we're likely to see a number of similar vulnerabilities / attacks crop up over the next while, until Oracle changes this approach.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 30, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So umm... apparently my parents were told today that the reason their DSL wasn't working according to their ISP, incredibly awful provider but their only option, was that I'd changed the login password on the modem/router hybrid they were provided when it was set up from the default, and if that's changed they can't update the firmware on the modems.

I can't think of a single explanation for this that isn't unspeakably awful.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

quote:

The root cause here seems to be that the affected WAR components ingest and process all serialized data, and have a blacklist of "bad" content.
lmao that's a good way to do things

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

gourdcaptain posted:

So umm... apparently my parents were told today that the reason their DSL wasn't working according to their ISP, incredibly awful provider but their only option, was that I'd changed the login password on the modem/router hybrid they were provided when it was set up from the default, and if that's changed they can't update the firmware on the modems.

I can't think of a single explanation for this that isn't unspeakably awful.

I had AT&T U-verse and can say that they used custom firmware on 2-wire routers (in my case) and would update just whenever. It also didn’t have features they the model of router should have. However, there was no problem with me changing the login to my own, so I’ve no idea what your parents’ provider is doing.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I had AT&T U-verse and can say that they used custom firmware on 2-wire routers (in my case) and would update just whenever. It also didn’t have features they the model of router should have. However, there was no problem with me changing the login to my own, so I’ve no idea what your parents’ provider is doing.

This is a router that has an IP v6 config page consisting of a TODO statement from the programmer to themselves to implement it later visible to the user and nothing else, so it's presumably just horrible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wow.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

We used to have a real problem with ATT DSL to satellite offices and retail locations.

They would update the modem firmware without any notice at all (before or after). Then we'd get alarms tripping all over because the FW update reset our config and turned the modems from that half-assed hybrid-bridge mode (ATT: Our business class DSL can't do transparent bridging!) to full on NAT with DHCP and turn on the wireless radios.

We did end up solving that issue. We cancelled all the ATT circuits and went with another provider that could offer full transparent bridging and also didn't update FW willy-nilly. Of course they came with their own stupid issues, but still not as bad as ATT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TR069 or a vendor-specific management platform doesn't use a user-accessible account to do the logging in and management. I guess if you rolled your own terrible system based on SSHing into routers then it might be affected.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

TR069 or a vendor-specific management platform doesn't use a user-accessible account to do the logging in and management. I guess if you rolled your own terrible system based on SSHing into routers then it might be affected.

My guess is Telnet. I have absolutely no evidence for this other than it seems roughly on their competence level and they once spent a year repeatedly rewiring all the phone wiring in their house to try to get DSL to work in anything other than perfect weather (temperatures over 85 or so or below 40 would kill it, so would using the microwave) until they realized they'd forgotten to actually prepare the line from the house to their systems for DSL at all and it was using ancient phone switching technology incompatible with DSL.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with OSQuery? OSQuery

Our Security team is saying from our latest PCI audit and because we're working towards HITRUST that we all need to install these on our laptops. It looks to be mainly reading low level stuff on the machine but appears to be interested in stuff like Browser plugins, etc. This looks invasive as gently caress to run on a laptop (yes it is provided by my work) and when we get it installed I should halt doing anything but work on it. Am I paranoid or not? They haven't given any reason except just saying YOU MUST INSTALL!!!!! and no context so that is always spirit lifting that we're being open and honest. No published queries or what metrics they are trying to track either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Our Security team is saying from our latest PCI audit and because we're working towards HITRUST that we all need to install these on our laptops. It looks to be mainly reading low level stuff on the machine but appears to be interested in stuff like Browser plugins, etc. This looks invasive as gently caress to run on a laptop (yes it is provided by my work) and when we get it installed I should halt doing anything but work on it. Am I paranoid or not? They haven't given any reason except just saying YOU MUST INSTALL!!!!! and no context so that is always spirit lifting that we're being open and honest. No published queries or what metrics they are trying to track either.

It's looks like a pretty typical endpoint tool from what I can see and your company/security team doesn't owe you anything like metrics.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's looks like a pretty typical endpoint tool from what I can see and your company/security team doesn't owe you anything like metrics.

You are right they don't BUT they have always been super transparent and explanatory on what they are doing for X and Y just like we are when we provide tooling to our developers. This is a strong turn towards just yelling out mandates randomly after an audit with little to no explanation. This is a disturbing and growing trend. They usually provide these explanations, metrics, etc because we all like to learn and grow from how we do things on our product and how our culture is setup. This is a big step backwards for our culture and product to start throwing up walls and not communicating. I'm glad it looks like a standard tool, and I don't do any weird illegal poo poo on my laptop anyway because I'm not a complete fuckup, but I always like to try to check / learn as much as I can about these things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Virigoth posted:

You are right they don't BUT they have always been super transparent and explanatory on what they are doing for X and Y just like we are when we provide tooling to our developers. This is a strong turn towards just yelling out mandates randomly after an audit with little to no explanation. This is a disturbing and growing trend. They usually provide these explanations, metrics, etc because we all like to learn and grow from how we do things on our product and how our culture is setup. This is a big step backwards for our culture and product to start throwing up walls and not communicating. I'm glad it looks like a standard tool, and I don't do any weird illegal poo poo on my laptop anyway because I'm not a complete fuckup, but I always like to try to check / learn as much as I can about these things.

I think its reasonable to not thoroughly discuss your security watch dog tools with the people its intended to watch over. I don't think its anything to get concerned over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Just because you don't do dangerous poo poo on your system doesn't mean others aren't. Endpoint security tools like that (especially basic inventory ones, there are FAR more intrusive tools like Carbon Black whitelisting ,etc) are very standard and you're worried for no reason. Your security team is doing the right thing by not disclosing details.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
If a user stopped me in the halls or ask me at my desk about concerns they have with what we monitor and secure, I was generally very happy to explain what we did, why we did it, and how their privacy was or was not implicated. I've talked people down who were as indignant as you are, Virigoth, and generally by explaining our perspective and how we are constrained by a narrow set of regulatory, legal, and/or compliance directives I was always able to alleviate people's concerns. If you have serious concerns, the best way to learn more is just to ask your security team. Chances are they'll welcome an opportunity to explain their side of what's happening! I'd recommend going in person over dropping an email though, a face to face conversation is usually for the better here.

I'd certainly never publish more information than I had to though, or broadly distribute that sort of specific information on how the agent works or our various regulatory/legal/compliance requirements. There's a big difference between explaining honestly to one or two users how things work so they feel more comfortable using their corporate equipment, and explaining that to the whole company. It's simply not appropriate to distribute certain information that widely, and you're just inviting trouble and blowback when 99% of the time nobody's going to notice or care.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Virigoth posted:

I had that and its predecessors running on my laptop for about 5 years. It was really helpful in dealing with a zero-day used to target someone on my team, and the group that built it is pretty sharp. Part of the value is the ability to do ad hoc querying to investigate security (or performance or configuration) problems, so I doubt they’re going to limit themselves to a set of published fixed queries.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Virigoth posted:

Don’t do anything but work on your work computer. An overintrusive infosec team is the least of your worries.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Don’t do anything but work on your work computer. An overintrusive infosec team is the least of your worries.

I use a cloud VM for non-work stuff during the day, using my MSDN credits. Hence I can still shitpost here.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Virigoth posted:

This looks invasive as gently caress to run on a laptop (yes it is provided by my work) and when we get it installed I should halt doing anything but work on it.
Uh yeah. If you're working at a place where PCI and HITRUST compliance is necessary, "invasive as gently caress" is par for the course. I don't know what your product is, but this is a good thing. If they've been open in the past, why not trust them now?

Virigoth posted:

I'm glad it looks like a standard tool, and I don't do any weird illegal poo poo on my laptop anyway because I'm not a complete fuckup, but I always like to try to check / learn as much as I can about these things.
It's not so much about you doing weird illegal poo poo, as much as it's about weird illegal poo poo being done to you. Don't take it so personally.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use a cloud VM for non-work stuff during the day, using my MSDN credits. Hence I can still shitpost here.

Of all the ways I keep my not work activities apart from corp devices, this is the one I hadn't considered and I have no idea why.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I hadn't either. How do you connect? RDP? VNC? Parsec in a browser?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's also an HTML5 RDP interface that will work through a gateway, if you don't want to do VPNs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

I hadn't either. How do you connect? RDP? VNC? Parsec in a browser?

RDP. We use Azure extensively so permit outbound RDP to Azure VMs in our region, Canada Central. So I'm golden :smug:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that's going to be hard to catch by security pukes.

Azure has a $200 trial, right? That's worth a shot. Thanks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah that's going to be hard to catch by security pukes.

Azure has a $200 trial, right? That's worth a shot. Thanks

Yup. My org gives everyone MSDN Enterprise, so I get 200/mo ongoing credits.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has anyone here tried out NSA's Ghidra?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yep. Its amazing how many features it can do compared to IDA Pro to make ~$1000 look odd for a Pro license.

Plus it does a lot more such as a better struct inference, decompile to actual pseudo c, support many more architectures (like dozens of weird archs compared to x86, x64, ARM, and AArch64), but the best thing it lets you do.

It lets you Undo.

That might seem small, but there are times IDA will just gently caress up everything to an unrecoverable mess if you do something like messing up a return, make a typo on an array size; too many things to list.

IDA Pro never really had competition so it has been interesting to see discussion.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EVIL Gibson posted:

Yep. Its amazing how many features it can do compared to IDA Pro to make ~$1000 look odd for a Pro license.

Plus it does a lot more such as a better struct inference, decompile to actual pseudo c, support many more architectures, but the best thing it lets you do.

It lets you Undo.

That might seem small, but there are times IDA will just gently caress up everything to an unrecoverable mess if you do something like messing up a return, make a typo on an array size; too many things to list.

IDA Pro never really had competition so it has been interesting to see discussion.

How long have you been piping your posts through IDA?

:ohdear:

E: legitimately though, thanks for this. I’ve been meaning to gently caress around with it and never got around to it. :tipshat:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's good. IMO, the lack of a debugger is the only thing holding it back from being a complete IDA replacement right now (and supposedly there is a debugger coming at some point down the road). I'm sure there are cases where hexrays does a better job decompiling something better than Ghidra (and vice-versa) but I haven't run into anything that Ghidra has handled significantly worse than IDA.

also for whatever reason, Ghidra performs better than IDA on my machine but ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cool! I might have a chance to try playing around with it at work in lieu of getting another IDA Pro license.