Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

SPACE HOMOS posted:

If I have a sandwich how do I cut it in half so both halves have equal parts of each ingredient?

Folding space works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bistromatic posted:

Folding space works the same way.

Welcome to the Republican Party Landsraad Council

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This noble house heir discovered one weirding trick, guild steersmen HATE him!

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:eyepop::popeye:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:haibrow:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Kull wahad!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Harah maybe??

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Hmm well you see I got my degree in pure math and the thing I remember most about non linear analysis was the question,

if I have a sandwich how do I cut it in half so both halves have equal parts of each ingredient?

1. Take apart sandwich
2. Cut each ingredient in half
3. Remake two half-sandwiches.

/me pops a spice pellet

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain. It is by the real mayo that thighs acquire girth, the shirts acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain. It is by the real mayo that thighs acquire girth, the shirts acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain.

Lesser known mental disciplines

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Menfat discipline

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Temaukel posted:

Harah maybe??

Shadout Mapes? Literally any background Bene Gesserit?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Now the sandwich is complete, because it ended here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

litany against schmear

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Vlex posted:

Shadout Mapes? Literally any background Bene Gesserit?

Irulan

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope they do a good take on the banquet scene. It's full of interesting characters and subtle burns.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Did the executive producer sign off on this casting? I can see that there was some interbreeding with people of lighter skinned races in her family.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

I hope they do a good take on the banquet scene. It's full of interesting characters and subtle burns.

I mean, they have to. It's an important scene with a lot of exposure and shows Paul just getting dumped into the deep end of Arrakian politics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Appropriate given how much better this thread is than the Star Wars thread, which is locked in eternal debate over the precise merits of Admiral Laura Dern

Dune shits womp rats all over SW's face. I'm just so excited for all these Sand Wars.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vlex posted:

Now the sandwich is complete, because i ate it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Vlex posted:

THE Shadout Mapes? Literally any background Bene Gesserit?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

I mean, they have to. It's an important scene with a lot of exposure and shows Paul just getting dumped into the deep end of Arrakian politics.

I wonder what kinds of visual techniques one could use to convey the complexity of the scene and all the insights, misdirection, and mindreading going on without using internal monologues.

Exciting to think about.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Squeals within squeals

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lol the Baron's first thought when Alia eloquently insults him in the Emperor's throne room, is

Is it a midget?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

:perfect:

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

basic hitler posted:

Firstly,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

The dune series is a series of really good books. They're branded as sci-fi but the hard-sci is scant. This is a book series about the capacities of the human mind, weird drugs, sietch orgies, religion as a tool of statecraft, in a world that came to eschew thinking machines for the danger they posed to humanity. For this reason you're not likely to read too many words describing anything like the computer as we know it.

The first three books are set really far in the future, and the second set is even way drat further into the future.\

The first three books are also kind of their own self contained story, and many people think you can and should start and finish here.

God Emperor Of Dune is a really weird book. I haven't read anything else like it, ever. It's also the bridge between the first three books and the next series. I think the merits of this book place it up there with the first, but it's a polarizing book. It's also the beginning of Frank Herbert typing a bunch of weird sex poo poo probably with his rock hard dick while smoking a shitload of weed. The only thing I can say about this book is, you should really read everything prior before attempting it, it relies heavily on the context laid down before it.

These two are the ones written toward the end, and Frank died before writing the last in a planned trilogy.

Brian Herbert (May God rip his tongue out) decided, decades after the death of his dad, to use his dad's notes and concepts to save his own floundering career, and wrote a book I haven't read but by all accounts doesn't come close to touching the level of his father's abilities as a writer. But if you like pulp sci-fi and just like reading poo poo, and don't have an irrational dislike for them arousing out of your love for the old books, you can probably do worse. I can't say for sure.

Anyway these books are books I love, and I like talking about them. I've picked up a handful of the originals on Audible, and I have to say the audiobook for Dune is really loving great. I just finished Messiah and I am now into Children Of Dune. Everyone should read and venerate these books imo.

Well god drat somebody around here actually reads books.

I've read all 6 of these twice, and comprehended at least half.

This is the best sci-fi ever written, on par with Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles.

Anyone who mentions Heinlein doesn't get it. He's greatly overrated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sturgeon and Bester are pretty damned hard to top imo

Dune and Herbert def give me that special feeling (especially since he tooled around my home state), but there's no way in hell that Herbert ever could've written something as beautiful as More Than Human or as propulsive as The Stars My Destination. Dune synergizes a ton of cool ideas but it's not infallible.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lem is the best, everything else in the genre is inferior. Herbert, Bradbury and Bester are still good, but not that good. Heinlein is a bad writer with worse ideas. It is a fact

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lem is the best, everything else in the genre is inferior. Herbert, Bradbury and Bester are still good, but not that good. Heinlein is a bad writer with worse ideas. It is a fact

I've read Solaris and it was really weird and cool, but I'm going to have to stop you there.

Unless Lem wrote a loving truckload more poo poo

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

b mad at me posted:

I've read Solaris and it was really weird and cool, but I'm going to have to stop you there.

Go read all of it. Seriously, you won’t regret it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

b mad at me posted:

Umm he did write a lot, but speaking as a Pole I don’t get the west’s fascination with Lem. I always thought his prose is hermetic. He wrote a lot of books whose protagonists are sadbrains future men living under the strain of various sci-fi scenarios. Truth be told, there is a certain psychological realism to these depictions so that’s a plus. Futurological Congress is quite visionary and short if you want to check something else of his.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Umm he did write a lot, but speaking as a Pole I don’t get the west’s fascination with Lem. I always thought his prose is hermetic. He wrote a lot of books whose protagonists are sadbrains future men living under the strain of various sci-fi scenarios. Truth be told, there is a certain psychological realism to these depictions so that’s a plus. Futurological Congress is quite visionary and short if you want to check something else of his.

This sounds all kinds of fascinating to me.

"It details the exploits of the hero of a number of his books, Ijon Tichy, as he visits the Eighth World Futurological Congress at a Hilton Hotel in Costa Rica."

Yeah I will read this book.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Also for any parent out there, Lem wrote some of the best sci fi for teens. Cyberiad for the nerds in the making as it offers a cerebral yet whimsical set of short stories and Tales of Pirx the Pilot for a more sci fi adventure stuff. No shooting lasers, alien invasions and hero’s journey in this stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Futurological Congress is awesome, 1984 written by a pharmacist. Solaris is also great.

I can't take Lem over Sturgeon tho, as I've never read a piece of sci-fantasy that's better than More Than Human.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

b mad at me posted:

This sounds all kinds of fascinating to me.

"It details the exploits of the hero of a number of his books, Ijon Tichy, as he visits the Eighth World Futurological Congress at a Hilton Hotel in Costa Rica."

Yeah I will read this book.

There's a very, very truncated movie adaptation of Futurological Congress called The Congress. It's worth a watch but only AFTER you read the book imo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At some point someone somewhere mentioned a sci-fi short story about a dentist who had been working with an alien race with an odd psychology and even odder tooth structure who didn't have sufficient dental medicine of their own and so sought him out to develop one, who then gets asked to fill a cavity in a gigantic, whale-like alien. I remember reading that, I think in a collection of sci-fi short stories about alien children. (Part of a series I think, since another book in it was a collection of short stories about mutant children. Some of them a little bit like X-Men. But one was a freakishly perfect horse)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I see Vance as the counterpoint to Herbert. Where Herbert is very concerned with showing you how a culture develops in response to its ecological and historical situation, Vance deliberately creates implausible cultures as set-pieces in a strange menagerie to explore wild ideas.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Edit: whoops wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shockmaster
Jul 12, 2017

Welp... I just took the plunge and bought a hardcover of the first three books. I've been lurking the thread for a couple of months now and it's inspired me to actually go out and read the original trilogy. I live in Seoul so I've spent a few weeks scouring English bookstores around town for a copy but to no avail (I was able to find the Brian Herbert books fairly easily), so I finally just bit the bullet and ordered it through an international book seller. I'm really excited to finally start the series, I should've read these a long time ago and I appreciate this thread for finally getting me to take the initiative.