Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The Most Interesting long run is GTA: San Andreas, but even that's not JRPG Length now (it's only 4 hours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I've tried to watch this, but 7+ hours is hard to stomach. What about it makes it "one of the all time best runs" ?

It's just a great combination of good commentary, fun tricks and execution and shameless nostalgia for many people. In Europe, FF7 was the first FF game officially released and for many, one of THE defining games for a generation and the PS1. The commentators do a fantastic job explaining not only the tricks used but also the plot and the lore of the game too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

also in addition to all of that, the runner had to count steps for the entire 7 hour run. while explaining that other stuff. and he did it, flawlessly.

run fuckin rules.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hate long speedruns and I think it was a top tier run

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Studio posted:

The Most Interesting long run is GTA: San Andreas, but even that's not JRPG Length now (it's only 4 hours)

Wow, shaved off 2 hours since I've watched LotsOfS speedrun that game.
God I miss the pre replay glitch Vice City Speedruns, the WR on that was getting closer and closer and then suddenly the Replay glitch comes out and obliterates all other strats.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Surprise T Rex posted:

In other news: just watched the FFVII run and it was awesome. Are there any other "must see" marathon runs with commentary that good?

The commentary for this FFT run was quite good. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "must see" but I thought I'd mention it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrcSC8f-D4

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Brutakas posted:

The commentary for this FFT run was quite good. I'm not sure if it qualifies as "must see" but I thought I'd mention it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrcSC8f-D4

Does anyone speedrun FFT without the jp glitch?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Does anyone speedrun FFT without the jp glitch?

There is a glitchless category. And many others, if the discord channels are anything to go by.

Although to date I am the only one to even attempt autobattle

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i am not much of a JRPG guy and even I think that FF7 run is a definitive marathon performance

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kikas posted:

Wow, shaved off 2 hours since I've watched LotsOfS speedrun that game.
God I miss the pre replay glitch Vice City Speedruns, the WR on that was getting closer and closer and then suddenly the Replay glitch comes out and obliterates all other strats.

For obvious reasons, less glitchy runs of VC and SA are quite popular. VC no SSU is 50+ mins, SA no major glitches is like 4h45. Still makes VC a bit poo poo, but there's always All Missions if that's your bag.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Roflex posted:

well don't you loving leave me hanging

did you finish

what classes can the AI use most effectively

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well don't you loving leave me hanging

did you finish

what classes can the AI use most effectively

That's my second of two completed attempts (the first was over 18 hours). The route relies on some of the same strategies as any%/no math, i.e. raising MA a lot and relying on skills that have good damage multipliers (black magic, summons, draw out). With the caveat that you can't manually grind to unlock those jobs, so there's a lot of job shuffling to do that grind as part of the story battles while not dying too much.

The AI can be pretty dumb if you give it too many options; in the first run I tried calculator but also had learned pretty much every calculable ability in the game, which resulted in a lot of first-turn "berserk everybody" calcs. Which is fun when the rest of the party is set up as magic users with ineffectual weapons. It does do pretty well with timing things that require a charge time, e.g. archer charge, jump, most magic/summons. Never learn meteor, the AI will nuke your entire team trying to scratch one enemy. Auto-potion and at least two item users are essential in the endgame. Wiegraf would be a lot easier if I would remember to pick up the chameleon robe ever.

It can easily be sub-12 hours with the current route. In the past 9 months I haven't had a chance to dedicate an entire day to doing another run. With a bit more research and trial & error, somewhere around 9-10 hours is probably possible. With optimized routes and good menu execution it might come under 9.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forget, what are the things that happen if your bravery and faith get too high/too low? I believe with Faith the person will leave your party if their faith gets too high because they end up becoming a religious pacifist and I think low bravery results in them leaving because of cowardice but I can't remember what the other 2 possibilities are, if any.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I forget, what are the things that happen if your bravery and faith get too high/too low? I believe with Faith the person will leave your party if their faith gets too high because they end up becoming a religious pacifist and I think low bravery results in them leaving because of cowardice but I can't remember what the other 2 possibilities are, if any.

High bravery results in nothing happening. Low faith also results in nothing.
Treasure Hunter benefits from low bravery, but that's about all you'd want it low for(aside from errands).

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Very low bravery turns the character into a chicken.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

PJ is pretty good at swingy guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfqW5uiMm4

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The famous "watch out for rolling rocks 0.5 A presses" video guy (pannenkoek2012) put out a very long google doc update today explaining why he hasn't made any more videos like that. tl;dr: they're absolutely draining on him mentally and when he made that video it was during the worst time in his life so he's apprehensive of doing more work and potentially accidentally revisiting that mental state.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4OTAyampX1CueKyZUIunz0yIUYd3ldlQxv37oaySgs/edit - check the last question that starts on page 22.

and the video for those who haven't seen it. if you haven't you should watch it. it's not true speedrunning but it's in the same category and it's absolutely fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 30, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

axeil posted:

The famous "watch out for rolling rocks 0.5 A presses" video guy (pannenkoek2012) put out a very long google doc update today explaining why he hasn't made any more videos like that. tl;dr: they're absolutely draining on him mentally and when he made that video it was during the worst time in his life so he's apprehensive of doing more work and potentially accidentally revisiting that mental state.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4OTAyampX1CueKyZUIunz0yIUYd3ldlQxv37oaySgs/edit - check the last question that starts on page 22.

and the video for those who haven't seen it. if you haven't you should watch it. it's not true speedrunning but it's in the same category and it's absolutely fascinating.

Well to be clear (it isn't that clear in the faq either), he didn't stop uploading videos, he stopped uploading commentated videos.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
also that faq has been in the description of his uncommentated channel basically since the rolling rocks video got big

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
As much as I enjoyed ROLLIN ROCKS, if it fucks him up, then I am very ok with him not doing any more. and you'd be a devil to think otherwise

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I 100% support the right of a creator to create whatever they feel like, or not, if they don't feel like it, for any reason, without even explaining their reasons if they don't feel like it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

axeil posted:

absolutely anything posted:

also that faq has been in the description of his uncommentated channel basically since the rolling rocks video got big

Basically this, it's been a couple years at least. Either way, he seems to be having enough fun with the uncommentated/no joystick stuff to keep doing what he's currently doing so more power to him

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Roflex posted:

There is a glitchless category. And many others, if the discord channels are anything to go by.

Autobattle justly got the thread's attention, but what is "13 Zodiacs All Cats"?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

Autobattle justly got the thread's attention, but what is "13 Zodiacs All Cats"?

13 Zodiacs is doing the side stuff to get all 13 zodiac stones. I assume it's not popular enough to get a bunch of channels (it only has one entry on SRL) so that one covers all categories (Math/no Math, etc).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm glad he stopped doing it because there's no such thing as half an a press.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was doing UI accessibility testing for things like consent forms on mobile devices once and it turns out it's kind of a big deal if something activates on press instead of press and release for a touch screen because it interferes with most accessibility devices like magnifiers since your fingers will inevitably hit that next page button.

Half presses are real

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm glad he stopped doing it because there's no such thing as half an a press.

fucky ou

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm not exactly surprised the type of person who made a half hour video explaining the nuance of completing mario 64 levels without pressing the A button is a bit peculiar in his operating philosophy.

still it's that exact kind of peculiarity that drives one to write one's life story instead of the much simpler "don't like making them, not doing more of those"

I'm sure this sounds like I'm being glib and I am a bit but that's mostly because much of the laboured explanation of his thought process rings familiar to me. Oh well, whatever makes him happy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm not exactly surprised the type of person who made a half hour video explaining the nuance of completing mario 64 levels without pressing the A button is a bit peculiar in his operating philosophy.

still it's that exact kind of peculiarity that drives one to write one's life story instead of the much simpler "don't like making them, not doing more of those"

I'm sure this sounds like I'm being glib and I am a bit but that's mostly because much of the laboured explanation of his thought process rings familiar to me. Oh well, whatever makes him happy.

he made an interesting, detailed video and got made a huge joke of across the internet for months and months

it's not really weird to withdraw or even stop making stuff entirely in the face of that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
pannenkoek is literally my go-to counter argument for people that say "if guaranteed minimum income were a thing, nobody would do anything"

dude is cool and I appreciate him

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

he made an interesting, detailed video and got made a huge joke of across the internet for months and months

it's not really weird to withdraw or even stop making stuff entirely in the face of that

that's not at all the reason he stopped and also all of the jokes were not making a joke out of "him" so frankly he's suffered less than a lot of people in that regard.

the document outlines more simply that he just doesn't like making them and that his various undefined neuroses made him crunch like a mofo to complete it

it's just peculiar that he opts to explain it in excruciating detail, it sure as hell reads like some flavour of offbeat thinking which makes sense because yeah, speedrunning.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's just peculiar that he opts to explain it in excruciating detail, it sure as hell reads like some flavour of offbeat thinking which makes sense because yeah, speedrunning.

I for one appreciate that he takes the same meticulous and detailed approach to explaining his mindset as he does to explaining mechanics of scuttlebug raising in SM64.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i want pannen, the man behind the username, to be happy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of a press stuff, whatever happened with all the dk64 no a press things? I remember seeing a bunch of vids of it posted but I never followed it outside of this thread (or at least I think it was this thread that they'd get posted in) so idk if that's something people have still been messing with or not.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ringrush is still being ringrush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPnj1UFemFc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of a press stuff, whatever happened with all the dk64 no a press things? I remember seeing a bunch of vids of it posted but I never followed it outside of this thread (or at least I think it was this thread that they'd get posted in) so idk if that's something people have still been messing with or not.
I also never followed it outside of this thread but they were actively reducing A presses as recently as last year so I assume it's still going strong.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So RPG Limit Break starts on Sunday, runs to the 11th, and literally the very next day Frame Fatales starts. I was considering making a thread for Frame Fatales, but maybe it'd make sense here to make a thread that covers both of the May marathons? Not sure either is really big enough and has enough of an audience to actually warrant their own threads, RPGLB I probably wouldn't make a thread for at all, but with the two of them directly following one another like that, it might be a nice combo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

So RPG Limit Break starts on Sunday, runs to the 11th, and literally the very next day Frame Fatales starts. I was considering making a thread for Frame Fatales, but maybe it'd make sense here to make a thread that covers both of the May marathons? Not sure either is really big enough and has enough of an audience to actually warrant their own threads, RPGLB I probably wouldn't make a thread for at all, but with the two of them directly following one another like that, it might be a nice combo.

What's your PR for finishing two speedrun events simultaneously?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's your PR for finishing two speedrun events simultaneously?
1 TV / 2 marathon: The true pro speedrun category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prism posted:

13 Zodiacs is doing the side stuff to get all 13 zodiac stones. I assume it's not popular enough to get a bunch of channels (it only has one entry on SRL) so that one covers all categories (Math/no Math, etc).

Oh, all categories. That makes more sense. I thought it was like...get all 13 zodiac stones, but you have to replace your party entirely with recruited panthers as soon as you unlock the Mediator.