Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
The first two weeks of RNA got stale fast since you could force gates + bombs. Hopefully they get the boys improved quickly (and implement human drafting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they implement MTGO style draft leagues (draft against humans but then play your matches whenever against whomever), Arena will be doing basically everything I want from it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

I have buckets of that poo poo to sell in bulk if you want it.

What, like, modern-playable TChinese cards?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

If they implement MTGO style draft leagues (draft against humans but then play your matches whenever against whomever), Arena will be doing basically everything I want from it.

Ya same. Ideally a way to forgo all the wildcard and constructed collection stuff to get cheaper drafts too but I'd live with this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did I mention these bots are terrible yet??? 3 commons taken first from this pack:

Poor bots were never programmed to notice pushed mythics, smdh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Poor bots were never programmed to notice pushed mythics, smdh

Frank Karsten literally made this list before the set was even live
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQzXUGsbHXjrYNqNuG0BpGjvz8xdg3T8t927xPi7B0ByzL23Lq_tIeAvi_4STggzgAjNOU2Q3-ezGjq/pubhtml

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Reminder that they had proper drafts vs humans implement already back in internal alpha, but the alpha testers thought drafting against bots was more fun than vs people so they just scrapped the normal drafts.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Entropic posted:

Ya. This plus seasonal cube drafts, and a way to play legacy. Then I'd be playing Arena so much.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gustav posted:

Reminder that they had proper drafts vs humans implement already back in internal alpha, but the alpha testers thought drafting against bots was more fun than vs people so they just scrapped the normal drafts.

I think you mean convenient rather than fun, which at the time was a justifiable decision. But look we have full art alternate shiny cards that you can buy for real money instead!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gustav posted:

There's an LR episode with Ryan Spain where they talk about the development of Arena, and they talk about the bot drafts being useful for a couple of reasons;

1. It sounds like they were developed to aid testing - it's much easier to test the drafting functionality if one person can sit down and do a draft to completion, as opposed to needing 8 staff to sit down and draft at the same time (or I guess one person with 8 clients/accounts)
2. Bot drafting reduces the intimidation factor of drafting quite a bit, and quotes the MTGO experience as being one they wanted to avoid, where new users will try a draft for the first time and are suddenly faced with 15 cards they might never have seen before and a 30 second timer. Arena makes it much easier to dip your toes into limited in a manageable way.

I would bet the main thing holding back in-person drafting of some form on Arena is MTGO itself - WotC are almost certainly trying to work out their exit plan from MTGO because in-person drafting on Arena will probably reduce player numbers to the point it becomes unprofitable to maintain. I remember one of the Lords of Limited guys saying by the end of Ravnica Allegiance it was taking 10 minutes to fire off a draft queue - you probably just can't have in person drafts on both platforms simultaneously without cannibalising the audience for one or the other.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tubgoat posted:

What, like, modern-playable TChinese cards?

Actual several of those too, but also FNM promos and foils. I've been just selling a bunch because I'm never going to play them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Ya. This plus seasonal cube drafts, and a way to play legacy. Then I'd be playing Arena so much.

If they had cube, I'm not sure I'd ever play any other games again.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

They should just offer two brackets for drafts: traditional (where you draft in a pod and then get matched against people from your pod or others) and non-traditional (where you draft with the bot and get matched accordingly). Set "ranked" as a toggle rather than a default setting for any given bracket.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

The ebay store refunds have begun. I have one refund pending so far.

Kabira Kaboom
Jan 13, 2007
The plate is elegant.
College Slice
I have an arena code from prerelease for anyone that wants it:

BQq-1Rdu-ZGa

Kabira Kaboom fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 3, 2019

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Kabira Kaboom posted:

I have an arena code from prerelease for anyone that wants it:

BQq-1Rdu-ZGa

Got it, thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brownhat posted:

The ebay store refunds have begun. I have one refund pending so far.

Yeah. I just got a refund notice. I’m honestly kind of ticked. Though, eBay hasn’t cancelled the order yet, so...

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I just got a refund notice. I’m honestly kind of ticked. Though, eBay hasn’t cancelled the order yet, so...

Apparently this nonsense will go into tomorrow before we find out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brownhat posted:

Apparently this nonsense will go into tomorrow before we find out.

Where are you getting updates on this clusterfuck?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't the whole point today doing it on eBay that the servers wouldn't go down and lead to poo poo like to his? Ebay selling is brain dead. How do you even gently caress it up?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's amazing that they managed to gently caress this up worse than the GRN one but here we are.

Haven't gotten my cancellation yet but expecting it. Love how it's gonna hit Paypal first and they get to drag their feet 4-5 days to grab their few pennies of interest even tho it came straight out of checking. Very cool to deal with, thanks Hasbro-WotC.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This deck is so much fun to play
https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1123507193402228736?s=21

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

So, how many details do we even know about the WAR Mythic Editions? Are all the orders being cancelled, or did they actually sell their stock? I'm not even getting a cancellation, there's literally no trace whatsoever of my order anywhere, even though I got the successful payment message after ordering it. No money taken out of my account either, so I assume I'm not getting anything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The worst part of this whole shitstorm is that it is spiking the secondary market cost for them even more than normal. I find it hilarious that there are dozens of relistings on eBay saying "confirmed order" when no one knows poo poo right now. And some of them are going for $700+. I can't imagine people putting in bids for these things and not realizing there's a good chance they're going to get shafted a second time.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ShadeofBlue posted:

So, how many details do we even know about the WAR Mythic Editions? Are all the orders being cancelled, or did they actually sell their stock? I'm not even getting a cancellation, there's literally no trace whatsoever of my order anywhere, even though I got the successful payment message after ordering it. No money taken out of my account either, so I assume I'm not getting anything.

This is what happened to me. There is another page where it has the order, but 'This order was not successful...'. It's under My Ebay/Order Details, but I could only get to that page (so far) by clicking the link on the original purchased page.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Ah yes another shitstorm about mythic edition. I can't wait for the next one to sell out instantly too, maybe that'll teach them a lesson.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Having just read the War of the Spark book. It's hilarious how inept the Gatewatch was, and how they were so reliant on actually competent people to get the win for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Draft does sorta feel like an old set. A lot to keep track of. A lot of decision trees.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

anglachel posted:

Having just read the War of the Spark book. It's hilarious how inept the Gatewatch was, and how they were so reliant on actually competent people to get the win for them.

well then at least the gatewatch were in character, unlike anyone else

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just got my confirmation my boxes were cancelled and get to wait while Paypal collects some interest on my half a grand "processing the refund" before I can put it back in my account.

Very cool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
New sorin is pretty deece.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

well then at least the gatewatch were in character, unlike anyone else

Who was not in character?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

New sorin is pretty deece.

His -X does so much in the right deck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The black white arristocrats is playing a lot better than the red black one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

The black white arristocrats is playing a lot better than the red black one.

Yeah I was mentioning in the other thread that Cruel Celebrant, Bontu, and Liliana have really elevated it, but Sorin works so well in recurring threats too. Also

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This deck also owns, managed to hold off Oketra ALL BECAUSE OF TEYSA final vindication

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The play pattern of - get a creature, plus, then minus again in a Hero of Precinct shell is incredible.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

This is right up my alley :getin:.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just got my confirmation my boxes were cancelled and get to wait while Paypal collects some interest on my half a grand "processing the refund" before I can put it back in my account.

Very cool.

Both of my friends just got their cancellations. "Sorry we screwed up; we promise a gift card and something from WoTC in the future for all those with cancelled orders". Sucks. But then I wonder if I'll get anything, as I was actually in the first 6k orders (and cancelled of course) and I havent gotten an email.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Khagan posted:

This is right up my alley :getin:.

Just went 9-1 in Bo1 with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Finale of Promise is so good in Phoenix decks.