Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zore posted:

He doesn't get charge like Ryuji and just lags way behind in power moves too because ???? Also gets a worse party buff.

Mechanically he's probably the worst Phantom thief because he's just Ryuji but worse whereas everyone else at least has a niche.

i got a lot of use out of that "does huge damage after a switch" move.

Yeah, he was my trash clearing guy and then I'd switch him out for Ann on bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pack it in already posted:

What I don't get is why they gave Ann all the extra shadow negotiation abilities when she's the party member you're least likely going to be taking through trash (I still love her, she's a slam pick for bosses, but if you don't do phys you're not gonna be on my trash squad). Changing that would require a big rethink of her confidant abilities so I don't expect anything to change in Royal, but it's something that always stuck out to me.

The shadow negotiation abilities are loving useless anyway, they only apply to hostage negotiations, lol

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Arist posted:

The shadow negotiation abilities are loving useless anyway, they only apply to hostage negotiations, lol

That is extremely true.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Did the Mementos theme bother y'all when it was used earlier in the game as the soundtrack to at least one of the days you're in Kamoshida's palace, I think when you're still kinda railroaded to go there that day and only accomplish a little before you leave, or is it just the repetition?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mementos reminded me too much of Persona 4, where you'd pretty much only hear the first 10-15 seconds of a song because it reset every time you got into a fight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Did the Mementos theme bother y'all when it was used earlier in the game as the soundtrack to at least one of the days you're in Kamoshida's palace, I think when you're still kinda railroaded to go there that day and only accomplish a little before you leave, or is it just the repetition?

The Mementos song, on its own, isn't even bad. But it's a very short little song that's looped over and over and over and over and it's not a particular exciting song. It just gets tiring hearing that song because you do Mementos a lot during the game and hear that same short looped track A LOT

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think another part of the problem is that most people tend to let Mementos requests build up so that they can knock out a lot of them at one time to have more free time for other stuff... so you're subjected to that loop for hours of gameplay, as opposed to maybe popping in once every few days for a few minutes to knock out a new request.

Mason Dixon posted:

I never minded the Mementos music, I guess because I found it easy to tune out.

:same:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 1, 2019

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I never minded the Mementos music, I guess because I found it easy to tune out.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The remix in Mementos Depths though is fire

Remix? (I know the credits/last dungeon music you mean, but remix?)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Here's hoping they get rebalanced and a 3rd Persona evolution like in Golden. I'm playing through 4 again and I forgot how bad Chie and Yukiko were. Chie just doesn't get anything worthwhile until much later on and Yukiko, while a powerful mage, never loses her weakness. I should give Golden a shot. I was about half way through 4 on the save I loaded up, which is why I opted to finish that out instead of starting anew in Golden.

You can pinpoint the exact moment Jeff and Vinny in the P4 Endurance Run realize how mechanically trash vanilla Chie is in the dungeon after the secret base. She legit goes near half the game learning straight up useless garbage until she finally gets her super moves in the last dungeons, which she might not even do if you rightfully bench her too hard. Of course then she goes from zero to taking out a quarter of a boss's health bar with charged god hands but still

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

You can pinpoint the exact moment Jeff and Vinny in the P4 Endurance Run realize how mechanically trash vanilla Chie is in the dungeon after the secret base. She legit goes near half the game learning straight up useless garbage until she finally gets her super moves in the last dungeons, which she might not even do if you rightfully bench her too hard. Of course then she goes from zero to taking out a quarter of a boss's health bar with charged god hands but still

Yeah. I mean, I did basically what they did and didn't really replace the original crew the entire game because I got so used to using them. But playing NG+ again, and just slapped myself at how incredibly good Kanji, Teddie and Naoto are and why I didn't use them. Teddie can be better healer or mage than Yukiko, Kanji is a physical powerhouse with powerful lightning and Naoto can tear up trash foes with light, dark spells or almighty. I've been keeping them all equally leveled up mostly just because, but Chie doesn't really offer much of anything until the last couple of dungeons.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. I mean, I did basically what they did and didn't really replace the original crew the entire game because I got so used to using them. But playing NG+ again, and just slapped myself at how incredibly good Kanji, Teddie and Naoto are and why I didn't use them. Teddie can be better healer or mage than Yukiko, Kanji is a physical powerhouse with powerful lightning and Naoto can tear up trash foes with light, dark spells or almighty. I've been keeping them all equally leveled up mostly just because, but Chie doesn't really offer much of anything until the last couple of dungeons.

After playing P5 I went back and played P4G for the first time and dumped Chie and Yukiko as quickly as I could. Teddie/Naoto/Kanji is the best team, with maybe some occasional switching to Yosuke

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
My biggest problem was that while I like Naoto and Kanji, I have to drag some loser along for my fourth slot since Rizzy doesn't count.

Rosalind posted:

Yeah but it's a good five second loop.

Honestly I hated by the time the first loop was done. It's like someone smashed some random organ keys.

Macaluso posted:

The remix in Mementos Depths though is fire

This is true however.

Geostomp posted:

I like to think that the only things on Morgana’s radio would be him singing the karaoke versions of the soundtrack.

Let him do it as acapella.

Or beatbox. :v:

TwoPair posted:

I think the Mementos theme would be far more bearable if the characters had their little side conversations more often. I feel like hearing those is the reason that it's so low and subdued, but they play so infrequently that you end up listening to that loop to the point where it gets annoying.

edit: oh and it gets way more annoying if/when you get the confidant ability that just lets you straight up skip weak enemies, so you don't get any breaks.

Honestly I didn't like the Mementos conversations because they always felt like they were missing a response. A > B, and then A just... Not responding is weird.

Zore posted:

He doesn't get charge like Ryuji and just lags way behind in power moves too because ???? Also gets a worse party buff.

Mechanically he's probably the worst Phantom thief because he's just Ryuji but worse whereas everyone else at least has a niche.

He has a niche, it's just baton pass and critical hits aren't useful for bosses so his only thing is ice AoE for trash, and his magic isn't great.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 1, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Onomarchus posted:

Remix? (I know the credits/last dungeon music you mean, but remix?)

I'm pretty sure the Depths is a remix of the normal Mementos theme

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In the base game it felt Naoto was kind of wonky. She'd tear through the trash mobs, but you didn't want her in a boss fight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji is ridiculous in Golden just by virtue of finally getting Power Charge. There's straight-up no reason to use Chie over him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
teddie on the other hand had one unorthodox advantage over yukiko in that he never lost his element weakness but his agility was sky-high, so enemies would consistently try to use Zio spells on him only for him to happily pivot out of the way and waste all their turns

the reaper got trivialized because of this, at least in the base game

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 1, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of Reaper any tips to beating him in P3P. He was still kicking my rear end at level 75

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Can you fuse Odin and get Thunder Reign?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I just had Makoto join my team. Why does she have a motorcycle that is also Pope Joan? It's amazing but why?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's allegorical.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rosalind posted:

I just had Makoto join my team. Why does she have a motorcycle that is also Pope Joan? It's amazing but why?

That and her Phantom Thief outfit are all a big Fist of the North Star reference because deep in her heart Makoto wants to punch everything.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

That and her Phantom Thief outfit are all a big Fist of the North Star reference because deep in her heart Makoto wants to punch everything.

In the original japanese she's referred to by Raoh's epithet. It is extremely not subtle.

The localization tries for a mad max reference, iirc.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gulping Again posted:

In the original japanese she's referred to by Raoh's epithet. It is extremely not subtle.

The localization tries for a mad max reference, iirc.

Yeah, they just changed it from Raoh's "Champion of Century's End" (世紀末覇者, Seikimatsu Hasha) to "Post-Apocalyptic Raider"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rosalind posted:

Makoto loves motorcycles and has a deep well of suppressed rage.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The connection between Pope Joan’s story and Makoto’s is at best tenuous.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Persona 4 stuff: holy poo poo I completely forgot that (end game spoilers)Adachi was a creepy incel. I somehow remember giant bomb's Jeff's reaction to him being such but somehow forgot he was a creeper.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Persona 4 stuff: holy poo poo I completely forgot that (end game spoilers)Adachi was a creepy incel. I somehow remember giant bomb's Jeff's reaction to him being such but somehow forgot he was a creeper.

It's funny how they constantly joke about that twist throughout the game but it really goes to show how significant it is when even after considering it as a possibility, Vinny/Jeff were both really taken aback by how that scene plays out. I played the whole game in the span of a 5-day fever dream so I didn't have a lot of time to think about who the killer might be, but I got spoiled on the story in a major way and I STILL didn't see the twist coming. I looked at the list of potential killers and knew who to pick but the only thing I could think was "well I know the killer is Tohru but I have no idea who the gently caress that is" then I got to the hospital and it dawned on me and I had a minor meltdown

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

So...with all the P5 spinoffs and cross-pollination, will Joker, Morgana, or any of the P5 crew be making an appearance in the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Cuntellectual posted:

He has a niche, it's just baton pass and critical hits aren't useful for bosses so his only thing is ice AoE for trash, and his magic isn't great.

Yeah, a lot of Yusuke's damage output depends on Baton Pass, which is difficult to use on bosses with no weaknesses since there's no reliable way to get them to proc.

If they do some rebalancing in Royal, they might give him Ice Boost so he can at least use ice magic in boss fights, or Apt Pupil to give him more of a niche with critical hits.

I wonder what other balance changes they'll make. Maybe the new girl, Kasumi, will be focused on Gun damage, since Haru's spread a bit thin skillwise and could be refocused toward psychic damage. Though I get the feeling Kasumi might be a temporary party member (like Akechi) who's only available for one dungeon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think they've hyped Kasumi up a bit too much for that.

She's probably going to be the focus of the new event span, for better or worse. I hope the extra time helps Haru a lot too though. Haru is great but so terribly underdeveloped.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

She's probably going to be the focus of the new event span, for better or worse. I hope the extra time helps Haru a lot too though. Haru is great but so terribly underdeveloped.

Haru got more development in the dancing game than in the entirety of Persona 5. She needs all the screentime she can get.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I am starting the third palace. I got some SP items since people recommended those and yeah they make this game easy mode now it feels like. I don't have to worry about using up Joker's versatility when he regains 7 SP every round.

Makoto is in fact as awesome as everyone seems to make her out to be. I think it's just her level of having her poo poo togetherness that I appreciate. Like when she pointed out someone might be tracking the Phantom Thieves with the Metaverse app which is a thought I had now that I know there's a vague "black mask" out there who might be a rival/villain with similar powers.

Also I have to say I like the scenes where confidants bond more than when Joker + a confident bond. Maybe it's because Joker is such a blank slate in comparison. I just thought that the scene where Ann and Makoto talk was one of the best so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat Persona 3 Portable last night - I think I overleveled myself because the last boss was very easy. Great game, I've played Persona 3-5 now and it's hard to rank them because they're all really good and do certain things really well

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Also I have to say I like the scenes where confidants bond more than when Joker + a confident bond. Maybe it's because Joker is such a blank slate in comparison. I just thought that the scene where Ann and Makoto talk was one of the best so far.
I liked those too. Do some hangouts with a confidant when you won't rank up with them yet, and pick the option to go visit a spot on the map; you'll often run into a third character while you're there and they'll interact a little. I think taking Ann to the shrine or Mishima to the amusement park will have those. Might depend on you having bonded with the third party?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I liked those too. Do some hangouts with a confidant when you won't rank up with them yet, and pick the option to go visit a spot on the map; you'll often run into a third character while you're there and they'll interact a little. I think taking Ann to the shrine or Mishima to the amusement park will have those. Might depend on you having bonded with the third party?

More party-confidant interactions would be great, for some of the reactions alone. ‘Why yes everyone, I have been participating in shady medical trials, assisting a gun store owner with smuggling, moonlighting as a bartender in the red light district, and have become a disgraced politician’s protege.’

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I’m guessing Kasumi will be a recurring character for the entire game, but only join for the new portion. From what I can make of the trailer, she will probably have something to do with the antagonist or that time. She does have a part that indicates that she probably will become an antagonist herself at least for a time. Most likely a misguided or brainwashed one, but an antagonist nonetheless.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

I’m guessing Kasumi will be a recurring character for the entire game, but only join for the new portion. From what I can make of the trailer, she will probably have something to do with the antagonist or that time. She does have a part that indicates that she probably will become an antagonist herself at least for a time. Most likely a misguided or brainwashed one, but an antagonist nonetheless.

Would be nice if you started her social link before she actually joined.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mokinokaro posted:

Would be nice if you started her social link before she actually joined.

They tried something like that for Goro which was I think supposed to be a red herring sort of thing? Like hey check it out you've never had a social link person join your team before! except he's on the cover and then the way they handle his final few ranks is also bad so I can totally see what you mean but I don't know if I trust them to handle it very well. Especially considering they could have done the exact same thing for Haru and instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Here's the most comprehensive write-up of the new stuff in P5R I've seen so far (at least as someone who doesn't read Japanese). Few things I hadn't seen mentioned here, like the pool/darts bar that looks like it's a spot for the whole party to hang out.