Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Torquemadras posted:

The REALLY interesting part is, what are the characters going to do who DO know something's up, but have no meaningful power to do anything about it?
Guts has defeated apostles; Guts defeated Griffith at the tree; Rickert slapped Griffith in the face and walked away alive.

Black Swordsman Guts couldn't touch Femto, nor could he do much in Quilpoth, but that was before the merging of planes, before his scars were wiped clean, and before Casca recovered.

People may have more power than it first seems.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Griffith will get his rear end handed to him and end up in a situation where he's gotta sacrifice someone else to heal, with Charlotte being the only valid candidate. And unlike Slug Baron with Theresia, he'll happily throw her into Hell to get more stronk.
I don't think she's enough and he doesn't care for her anyway. His first sacrifice being the band of the hawk suggests he's gonna need more, more people, more souls... maybe like a whole city.

He disappears overnight for some mooning, apostles sleep happy and don't notice. He disappears and there's time dilation or some lunar eclipse blocking his return or something weird, apostles go chompy and he comes back to find Falconia in ruins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Harlock posted:

I think Void just wants to continually perpetuate humanity's suffering. Letting them have hope by Griffith's reforms and shining kingdom before he blows it all down again only seems to feed into what the Idea of Evil wants/makes it stronger? To make the darkness so overwhelming there can be no more hope/light. This might contrast with the arc that Guts is going through where getting revenge and giving in to his inner demons isn't really the answer versus working through his traumas and healing from it. Skull Knight/Gaiseric has been hellbent on revenge for so long that it is sustaining him as he's a literal timeless skeleton, unable to rest.

Although, who knows what would come next if humanity were to go extinct - unless there's an end goal where something manifests as a result.

Maybe Griffith is crazy/dumb enough to gamble on a kingdom of sacrifices in which he could keep the apostles from eating, but empower himself further to make his kingdom and people truly eternal through the Abyss? Or just reaches a point where a dream cannot continue and is offered a grand redo of life itself so he has new worlds to conquer. Maybe this really has all happened before and this is how Gaiseric raised his empire. Maybe the planes were almost perfectly aligned, the fantastical was everywhere and either that final sacrifice failed or succeeded.

And the greatest irony of all is a withered and mortal Grifith screaming at Void, "why" - to which the skeletal creature retorts "You are no longer the chosen one. You sacrificed even that glorious fate for this new world."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 2, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
gently caress me I just realized that the Moon Child is gonna drop in on Guts' group at the worst possible time

Plz don't take Casca away with you

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rodyle posted:

No, he does care about the latter, just LESS. A sacrifice you don't care about isn't valid for Ascension.

Haha, that would be the greatest possible gently caress You that the story could deliver to poor Charlotte

She offers herself as sacrifice for Griffith, Griffith accepts

Void goes "LOL nope dude we know you don't give a gently caress"

Aaaaand things turn awkward.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My take is that Griffith will be a tragic character, in the classical sense. His downfall will be entirely due to his own hubris, while external forces will be mostly incidental. A climatic battle between Guts and Griffith just doesn't seem likely to me (plus it already happened in the golden age).

Griffith's end will be the collapse of his dreams in the cold light of reality. I think the most satisfying end would be for him to wind up as a cripple again, cared for by Guts and Casca like in his vision before the eclipse.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Torquemadras posted:

Haha, that would be the greatest possible gently caress You that the story could deliver to poor Charlotte

She offers herself as sacrifice for Griffith, Griffith accepts

Void goes "LOL nope dude we know you don't give a gently caress"

Aaaaand things turn awkward.

Sonia immediately offers herself up, only to find out that Griffith doesn't give a poo poo about her either.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There are two things remaining for Griffith to sacrifice: His city and his hair.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Harlock posted:

I think Void just wants to continually perpetuate humanity's suffering. Letting them have hope by Griffith's reforms and shining kingdom before he blows it all down again only seems to feed into what the Idea of Evil wants/makes it stronger? To make the darkness so overwhelming there can be no more hope/light. This might contrast with the arc that Guts is going through where getting revenge and giving in to his inner demons isn't really the answer versus working through his traumas and healing from it. Skull Knight/Gaiseric has been hellbent on revenge for so long that it is sustaining him as he's a literal timeless skeleton, unable to rest.

Although, who knows what would come next if humanity were to go extinct - unless there's an end goal where something manifests as a result.

I don't agree with this reading as its much too binary. We've seen many examples throughout Berserk of bad people doing good things and good people doing bad things and If we are to believe that the IoE is a manifestation of human thought, and the god hand as an extension of the IoE, then their decisions are much more complex than just trying to increase and perpetuate human suffering. It's similar to how God behaves in the Old Testament and the analogies that can be made between the Bible and Berserk's story are as obvious as they are numerous. Also, looking at events in the story through the lens of causality and thinking about all the other events that occur later on because of them shows us that evil decisions can lead to good outcomes and righteous decisions can lead to bad outcomes.

It's for this reason I'm not convinced that Griffith is secretly plotting to do evil stuff, and I think the story will be much more interesting if Guts has to struggle with and weigh the irredeemable actions Griffith committed in the past against the present good he has done. The ogres/trolls/harpies/etc. that Griffith is fighting against right now have explicitly been said to be manifestations of the darkest parts of the human subconscious and ridding the world of them might be the path to humanity's salvation.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Welp I'm fully caught up

gently caress Griffith

Isidro rules

I love Puck

Next chapter when

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
November

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Of 2020

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm fairly hyped that the way this chapter ended seems to imply that we will be moving away from Falconia for at least the next chapter... whenever that is.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BattleHamster posted:

I don't agree with this reading as its much too binary. We've seen many examples throughout Berserk of bad people doing good things and good people doing bad things and If we are to believe that the IoE is a manifestation of human thought, and the god hand as an extension of the IoE, then their decisions are much more complex than just trying to increase and perpetuate human suffering. It's similar to how God behaves in the Old Testament and the analogies that can be made between the Bible and Berserk's story are as obvious as they are numerous. Also, looking at events in the story through the lens of causality and thinking about all the other events that occur later on because of them shows us that evil decisions can lead to good outcomes and righteous decisions can lead to bad outcomes.

It's for this reason I'm not convinced that Griffith is secretly plotting to do evil stuff, and I think the story will be much more interesting if Guts has to struggle with and weigh the irredeemable actions Griffith committed in the past against the present good he has done. The ogres/trolls/harpies/etc. that Griffith is fighting against right now have explicitly been said to be manifestations of the darkest parts of the human subconscious and ridding the world of them might be the path to humanity's salvation.
Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate the reply.

To me, I think the future of Berserk is still a lot of guess work and projection since a lot of things are still obscured. I'm definitely in the camp of waiting for the shoe to drop on Falconia - even if it isn't by Griffith's design.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I never read Berserk.

I spent the past week reading Berserk.

I loving love Berserk.

I have a lot I could probably go on and on about, like a whole lot. But, relevant to the current situation: I love/hate that there's this continual sense of dread over what Griffith is eventually going to do. It's not in any way subtle about how incredibly hosed the Falconia situation could become at the drop of a hat.

At the same time: There's a very definite tonal shift in the series that's apparent in more high-stakes moments, where at one point in time, if things could go gruesomely wrong, they would, but now it's more restrained. One could say it's getting "softer", but the suspense and potential for horror has gone nowhere, as indicated by sequence in Casca's subconscious, and the fight with Rakshas. You're just waiting for the guillotine to drop.

Oh well, now to enjoy waiting a decade for the next major resolution.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Welcome to Hell.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Skull Knight is how you do cool.
I love what Puck brings to the table and feel it complements the tone perfectly.
I hope that Sonia somehow becomes the true final boss.
My primary emotion concerning Guts is worry. Guy needs a real break.
I miss Psycho-Farnese, but I understand why she's developed.
Nina is a demonstration of how to perfectly execute sociopathic comedy.
The Dark Souls comparisons are a little overblown, but Azan and Siegmeyer are just, the same character.

And, completely unexpected: The bond between Guts and Schierke is legitimately heartwarming, adorable, feels all-around good and might be my very favorite thing.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mazed posted:

And, completely unexpected: The bond between Guts and Schierke is legitimately heartwarming, adorable, feels all-around good and might be my very favorite thing.
How closely does it parallel Griffith/Casca? :11tea:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

i really don't like the implications here and i have no idea why you think that comparison is apt

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It doesn't. It is a pretty weird comparison.

While Guts would probably not be the greatest dad ever, he'd definitely try.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Every time someone new catches up, I remember my first time binging through the old scans and their strange insistence at calling Guts Gatts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gattzu.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I love how much Guts -needs- every single one of the members of his group. Losing any single person would be a terrible blow.

Isidro gives him something to nurture.
Puck keeps him humble.
Farnese gives him relief.
Schierke gives him a confidant.
Serpico gives him accountability.
Casca gives him hope.

Just about the only one that doesn't give him anything measurable is Ivalera but she's more of an extension of Schierke.

I'm not sure I got all of those right though, and I definitely oversimplified his relationship with all of these characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm glad Serpico survived being shot by cops to becoming an anime bishie.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Berserk and Dark Souls comparisons are especially overblown. Dark Souls is unashamedly Miyazaki's Berserk fan game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

I never really got the impression that Griffith saw anyone other than Guts as kindling for his bonfire of dreams.

But Guts sees Schierke as his tiny buddy cop movie partner. She does all the investigating and figures out the culprit, and he gets into the gunfights and blows up the cars.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think Berserk and Dark Souls comparisons are especially overblown. Dark Souls is unashamedly Miyazaki's Berserk fan game.

Whereas Sekiro is his Blade of the Immortal fanfiction

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Guts has been making his way around video game town forever. Arngrim from Valkyrie Profile is as much Guts as Artorius is.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that Mirua still hasn't capitalized on letting FromSoft pay him to make a Berserk game is just mind boggling. Because they would probably give him shares in the company to say yes with how much of Demon/Dark Souls' very core is Berserk.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Since Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely finally happening I wonder if we'll see the return of the collabo gear

There's a chance it won't happen since the original coincided with the release of the movies, but... loving do it anyway Capcom Witcher 3 is 3 years old and you did one with them

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 7, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

[img] https://m.imgur.com/WuDPx41 [/img]

Those of you who saw Endgame spotted that Berserk reference?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty sure everyone saw it when Thanos sacrificed the Avengers to get the Infinity Stones, couldn't believe it when he raped Mickey Mouse though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this is not the disney adaptation i wanted

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I did not anticipate Spiderman to be Marvel's Griffith but let's see where this Millennium Arachnid arc takes us.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A lot of stuff draws on Berserk. There's a straight line from FFT --> Vagrant Story --> Souls.

It's really funny playing FFT again and noticing how heavily it draws from Berserk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D02erhgD9LU&t=90s

Except Berserk left out the bit where an overlevelled Guts Ramza kicks the rear end of the guy who used a Behelit Zodiac Stone without taking a scratch.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Viridiant posted:

I love how much Guts -needs- every single one of the members of his group. Losing any single person would be a terrible blow.

Isidro gives him something to nurture.
Puck keeps him humble.
Farnese gives him relief.
Schierke gives him a confidant.
Serpico gives him accountability.
Casca gives him hope.

Just about the only one that doesn't give him anything measurable is Ivalera but she's more of an extension of Schierke.

I'm not sure I got all of those right though, and I definitely oversimplified his relationship with all of these characters.

Pretty much on spot. You forgot Isma but I think everyone should forget Isma. I really hope she doesn't join them on the boat trip back

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Isma's okay, but she's kinda like Magnifico and Azan in that she's just an incidental weird person who happens to be going in the same direction as everyone else.

I'd say Roderick ought to count as an official part of Team Guts by now, but if Casca manages to remain to remain lucid and sticks around past that cliffhanger, he might be a little superfluous as the token person with no magic toys or powers who gets by on just honest-to-goodness competence.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Mazed posted:

Isma's okay, but she's kinda like Magnifico and Azan in that she's just an incidental weird person who happens to be going in the same direction as everyone else.

I'd say Roderick ought to count as an official part of Team Guts by now, but if Casca manages to remain to remain lucid and sticks around past that cliffhanger, he might be a little superfluous as the token person with no magic toys or powers who gets by on just honest-to-goodness competence.

IIRC he's some kind of nobleman and filthy rich to boot, so he's most likely got connections that could come in handy if they need to, for example, get inside Falconia without raising suspicion by breaking in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mazed posted:

I feel like Casca's been close enough for long enough to all this weird supernatural poo poo that she's going to be at least slightly magical.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Casca is going to declare that Roderick is the new Corkus and everyone besides Guts will be really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk inspires a lot of my favourite things...

I think Berserk might be... Good!?!?!?!?!?!?