Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

OH man speaking of the third ending

Andrew admitted that it was completely bugged and the second Dick wasn't accessible until the latest patch.

Ah yes, admit to bad thing (bugged 3rd ending) to distract from awful thing (there wasn't a 3rd ending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

I saw this on twitter. Ouch

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a good thing Yuk got panned, because typically people online get a following for being loud about opinions that are unremarkable or terrible but phrased in a narcissistic, condescending, and rude way. Even the Discord doesn't seem to particularly care about the beliefs the game or its creator puts forward, as evidenced by their reaction to him being on a terrible podcast being just, "Hey, that's cool, I guess."

When I told my friend I was watching an LP of a terrible RPG that evokes Earthbound, she asked if it was this game that's the exact opposite in worldview but no less loud and obnoxious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i read once that one of earthbound's defining features is how the game world was colored by the perspective of its protagonist - ness is a typical suburban everykid and the world of earthbound is a pastiche of america suburbia that grows steadily more bizarre as ness travels the world and his horizons broaden. lucas is in a similar situation but with a more timid and tragic mindset, so his world is more hostile and alien but with flashes of surprising kindness when he lets himself break out of his shell

from that perspective YIIK's unrelenting solipsism could be considered earthbound-esque, just done extremely badly because ness/lucas' perspectives are externalized by their environments and the game's own progression, while alex's is externalized by his big fat bearded mouth that never ever ever shuts up

Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass also follows in this tradition but with far better execution, which should make for an interesting contrast

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Saturday at 3PST/4MST/5CST/6EST I'm gonna stream myself opening the stupid doors to hit level 70. I'm opening up the stream to any past commentators to come in. If too many people get in, I'm going to make it a talent show where everyone takes turns doing something stupid. I know Junglist and Kat want to do a duet of Shoop. It's going to be a poo poo show.

I'll record it and upload it to the channel and then do the cut/uncut version for the final scene.

My twitch is https://www.twitch.tv/grandmaparty.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 2, 2019

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I haven't watched the last 4-5 videos just been following the thread, an honestly, I feel better for it. I'm pretty sure I would've thrown my keyboard across the room at some of these "twists".

What a loving waste.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I thought I was ready for how stupid and asinine that ending was going to be, I really did.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kobold eBooks posted:

I thought I was ready for how stupid and asinine that ending was going to be, I really did.

The other one is worse. Get ready.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GrandmaParty posted:

Oh gods.

Oh gods no.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love how you get a pep talking telling you to keep pushing on (after the game already asks you if you want to continue), and then you throw a switch and ROLLLLLLLLL CREDITS! You had to be given motivation to pull a lever?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

IUG posted:

I love how you get a pep talking telling you to keep pushing on (after the game already asks you if you want to continue), and then you throw a switch and ROLLLLLLLLL CREDITS! You had to be given motivation to pull a lever?

Don't you see? Yuck sets up expectations and fails to meet them! That's how you know it's art!

Except I fully believe Ack believes this. And to be fair it's true, just not in the way they want it to be.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda weird how small a thing it is, but you know what game makes the act of pulling a lever at the same time as someone else feel more of an accomplishment and have a deeper meaning than YIIK? The Sexy Brutale, along with almost any game where that happens.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

GrandmaParty posted:

Oooooh boy, it's time to dehumanize ourselves and face to Two Brothers, isn't it?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

IUG posted:

Hell. Whats the point of the whole 'kill alex or kill essentia' thing they seem to be leading up to, when the only choice is to kill both (and fail at the battle) anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"What is the point" applies to so much of this.

Even without the part where the parts before and after the world is destroyed have literally no relationship with each other besides 'Alex is in them.'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bro not even Two Brothers was better at being like Undertale than Undertale and it is better at it than YIIK.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

bro not even Two Brothers was better at being like Undertale than Undertale and it is better at it than YIIK.

It would have been better if it weren't sabotaged by uhhhhhh???

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It would have been better if it weren't sabotaged by uhhhhhh???

Ackk. It was sabotaged by Ackk.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Those hacks over at Ackk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway

Congratulations on finishing* this trainwreck, GrandmaParty, and to everyone else involved in it along the way as well! Fine work all around.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The guy says “don’t like random”as if it is an insult, how quaint. It’s like tvtropes was trying to be relevant again.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"We're one in the same." That's an actual line from this game. Oh dear.

...it happened again. They seriously think that's the correct phrase. AAAAUGH. I know there are things more worth complaining about here, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Ugh. I'd say "get someone competent to proofread your drat writing" but in a case like this, if they had, they'd have been told to scrap the whole thing so I doubt that's a viable solution. Still.

When we got to the scene with the two people in chairs and that dialogue began, the first thing that went through my mind was this: "does the climax of this game really come down to 'believe the man over the woman, you know that's the right thing to do'?" I'm still not sure that isn't what it was trying to say, given everything else we've seen in this game so far.

I agree with everyone else that this game is basically narcissism personified. Or, perhaps more specifically, narcissism as filtered through a lens of Gamerbro.

Watching the credits... Cassandra Khaw was involved in this? Noticed her name go by, I wonder what she did. I recognise her name because she wrote for the storyline of Magic: the Gathering; I don't actually know anything else about her, but just like Toby Fox it's weird seeing the names of people who've worked on things that were Actually Good or at least Okay showing up in this garbage. (Okay, I didn't actually like the stories Khaw wrote for Magic that much, but they weren't Awful, I just wasn't fond of the prose style. That's a different kind of complaint.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
What the hell was with the jiggle physics on Alexandria Ocasio?

May that be the only time in human history that that phrase ever appears in any form.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Explopyro posted:

Watching the credits... Cassandra Khaw was involved in this? Noticed her name go by, I wonder what she did. I recognise her name because she wrote for the storyline of Magic: the Gathering; I don't actually know anything else about her, but just like Toby Fox it's weird seeing the names of people who've worked on things that were Actually Good or at least Okay showing up in this garbage. (Okay, I didn't actually like the stories Khaw wrote for Magic that much, but they weren't Awful, I just wasn't fond of the prose style. That's a different kind of complaint.)

Poking around, it seems she just did PR for it. Looking around to see what she did, I found a 2015-era article about YIIK when it was called Y2K.

This is the description she wrote for the devblog she was advertising on her Gamasutra blog:

Y2k is an upcoming third-person JRPG inspired by Final Fantasy, Earthbound, and Haruki Murakami. It follows the misadventures of bearded college graduate named Alex Eggleston as he hunts through a '90s message board for information on the mysterious "Death Cab." Y2K also contains weaponized panda plushies and killer alpacas.

So that makes me think that Elisa Lam hadn't become the focus of the game yet, but her disappearance only got any attention a few months before the article, so Ackk probably hadn't become obsessed yet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nidoking posted:

May that be the only time in human history that that phrase ever appears in any form.

Yeah, I actually did a double take IRL when I saw your post :v:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 3, 2019

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Ayndin posted:

There’s a reason True Alex reminds you of Lucca - their design is a reference to either one of the female protagonists from a Dragon Quest side story (or game or something), or young Chi Chi from Dragon Ball, both of which were done by Akira Toriyama, who did the character design for CT as well.

Because why not cram in one more pointless link to a better game series for no reason, right? That’s how you become a timeless classic like them.

Speaking of things ripped from Dragon Quest, I'm pretty sure the final battle theme has part of its melody ripped from DQ III's boss music.

I didn't notice this until thinking about it today, but the animation of Alex performing LP Toss is hilariously lazy and nondynamic; such a perfect fit for Yiik, and GrandmaParty's abuse of the move is the perfect response (as is his take on what post-modernism is).

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Whoever did the voice direction really liked making Alex scream like a lunatic this instant anything mildly twist-y happened in the plot. He screams so goddamned much in this game.

One other thing that bugs me, the bosses have these larger than life personas, but in battle they small and dinky like any other enemy, was that a limitation of the engine they didn’t want to fix? Cause it really adds to it feels so insanely anti climatic.
Not to mention they’re so small the details are nearly unreadable.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 3, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Whoever did the voice direction really liked making Alex scream like a lunatic this instant anything mildly twist-y happened in the plot. He screams so goddamned much in this game.

it sort of reminds of me of the cutscenes for that Sonic knockoff Freedom Fighters in that way

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alex is the kinda guy that starts screaming at the first sign of any inconvenience.

:actually: "I'd like a burger meal with extra mustard."
:yiikes: "Sorry, we're out of mustard."
:actually: "What do you mean you're out of mustard?? SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON!"

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of Two Brothers, let's finish up the last hour and a half of my experience with the game. Up till now I've haven't really gotten to the 'meat' of the game mostly because I'm not used to doing SSLP style posts, so I'm gonna cut all the fat and get straight to the good stuff.

I haven't actually talked about how it feels to play this game yet, and if I had to pick one of the three emotions it would be blowjob face. Really though, my main complaint is that Roy moves too dang slow. On top of that the game's various environments are too dang big and mostly empty. I get they're trying to invoke a gameboy game feel but even Link in Link's Awakening moves faster than Roy's 'haters gonna hate' strut.

Also the combat is awkward as hell. For most enemies like the tiny rear end spiders in the shot below, you just have to stand still and flail non-stop until they walk into you. For more threatening enemies with weapons and more health, you have to do a little dance with em to take one down, and they like to throw a bunch at you. There's a battle sequence that took so long I had to speed it up by a factor of 3 when I was planning to make this a video. You can also do a super attack by pushing both the melee and shoot buttons, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do much. In fact, it sometimes just won't connect with the enemy.

Video: Beach Battle

Anyways Roy meets up with Bivare, and we have a bit of a conversation. I should warn you right now, if the subject of suicide bothers you please skip the video link below. The long and short of it all, the brothers discover an island to the east that may contain some form of color, so they decide to go there.

Video: Talking to Biv

While we were leaving, Biv casually drops this line:

Look Biv, we ain't got time for your pet tur-

Oh.
Bivare: "Chicks dig the turtle."

So we go to the island and run through a dungeon. It's a pretty simple one with about 9-12 rooms with hardly anything in them.

Yeah, too bad we didn't get to fight a giant rotisserie chicken. (God I'm hungry.)

The puzzles in this first dungeon are pretty simple except for the final one. Can you figure out how to solve this puzzle before the end of the video? (The first time we enter the room the puzzle broke.)

Video: Puzzle of doom

We finally get to a boss, and it's piss easy. The only hard part is trying to walk into a door without hurting yourself. (And the game soft-locking on you)

Video: I heart you

Yes you saw that right, Roy just picks up the boss's heart which was huge just a second ago and eats that poo poo. Wanna see it again?

Good times... Also:

:thunk: I guess we now know why Alex's shirt has Roy vomiting colors.

Anyways we find a thing that's emitting color, we bag it and decide to seek the help of Prof. Ulu, the boys old mentor. (Roy names the color thing, Jane, btw.) Once ashore, the boys split up and I decide to the leave the map and have an encounter with a goatman. I will give the game this, this is actually pretty unsettling. (It only took two hours to finally impress me.)

Video: It's a goat, see?

That is as far as I got in this game, and I'm not too interested to continue, but at least it answers some(?) questions about the Two Brothers references in Yiik.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

I haven't watched the last 4-5 videos just been following the thread, an honestly, I feel better for it. I'm pretty sure I would've thrown my keyboard across the room at some of these "twists".

What a loving waste.
The only way to win is to not give a poo poo. I have no motivation to watch the ending(s). Yuk isn't even a compelling trainwreck. Maybe if it was less :words: then I'd swallow my dignity.

I think it was halfway through this LP that I binged all of the videos over a few days and I legitimately had no idea if this game was making any points. There were a few nuggets (of poo poo) in the dialog but I brushed it off because it looks like there was nothing coherent. I even thought that Alex wasn't a Gary Stu character. But everything came crashing down after the Essentia reveal.

Oxxidation posted:

i read once that one of earthbound's defining features is how the game world was colored by the perspective of its protagonist - ness is a typical suburban everykid and the world of earthbound is a pastiche of america suburbia that grows steadily more bizarre as ness travels the world and his horizons broaden. lucas is in a similar situation but with a more timid and tragic mindset, so his world is more hostile and alien but with flashes of surprising kindness when he lets himself break out of his shell

from that perspective YIIK's unrelenting solipsism could be considered earthbound-esque, just done extremely badly because ness/lucas' perspectives are externalized by their environments and the game's own progression, while alex's is externalized by his big fat bearded mouth that never ever ever shuts up

Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass also follows in this tradition but with far better execution, which should make for an interesting contrast
You're being generous. I see no shades of Earthbound in Yuk besides the suburban environment and the Starman-like enemies. I guess there are ripoffs of Moonside and the Giygas fight which I won't watch, but it follows none of the story beats. It all just looks like a creatively bankrupt mess.

I will agree that Jimmy does it all far better. Of course there are shades of Earthbound, but in terms of gameplay and style, you'll also see aspects of Chrono Trigger, FF5, FF6, Space Funeral, the RPG Mario games (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi), and Lisa. My preliminary name for the thread is "Don't watch this LP, buy the game instead." I watched thevoiceofdog stream it on Twitch for 15 minutes before deciding I absolutely had to have it, and I didn't watch any streams of it while I was playing so I didn't spoil myself. That was for the best. It's $15 like Yuk but so much better.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I will agree that Jimmy does it all far better. Of course there are shades of Earthbound, but in terms of gameplay and style, you'll also see aspects of Chrono Trigger, FF5, FF6, Space Funeral, the RPG Mario games (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi), and Lisa. My preliminary name for the thread is "Don't watch this LP, buy the game instead." I watched thevoiceofdog stream it on Twitch for 15 minutes before deciding I absolutely had to have it, and I didn't watch any streams of it while I was playing so I didn't spoil myself. That was for the best. It's $15 like Yuk but so much better.

I'm probably going to write something similar in the banner ad. Something like "Buy This Game. Watch the LP because You Don't Have Time to Play It." Because gently caress it, SA still needs money and Jimmy deserves exposure.

I'm still kicking around ideas for the thread title. I'd love to work "O-ho-ho-ho" into it because I love Helga so much.

...Actually just might be "Buy this game. It's that good."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 3, 2019

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
That was a real nothing ending. Also the twist really undermines most of the early game plot? It’s just a mess.

I picked this game up after playing Jimmy the day it came out, hoping for another good indie rpg. I lasted two hours before refunding it, the first thing I’ve ever refunded on steam. Thanks to grandmaparty for showing this all off, I had an intense morbid curiosity to see where the game went and it seems like this was the way to go.

If you’re like me and want more neat indie rpgs I am really looking forward to Knuckle Sandwich, She Dreams Elsewhere and Hylics 2. Would recommend looking those up and following the devs, they’re all scheduled to release this year.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Combat Lobster posted:

Speaking of Two Brothers, let's finish up the last hour and a half of my experience with the game. ...

Anyways we find a thing that's emitting color, we bag it and decide to seek the help of Prof. Ulu, the boys old mentor. (Roy names the color thing, Jane, btw.) Once ashore, the boys split up and I decide to the leave the map and have an encounter with a goatman. I will give the game this, this is actually pretty unsettling. (It only took two hours to finally impress me.)

Video: It's a goat, see?

That is as far as I got in this game, and I'm not too interested to continue, but at least it answers some(?) questions about the Two Brothers references in Yiik.

That video is great, I love that Goatman, and it makes me sad because it could have been really cool!!! And amazing! And interesting!! If it were in a good game and not a game made by these people. It kind of reminds me of Pony Island in some way?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My suggestion for the thread title is, "No crying until the end? That's impossible!" A review for Jimmy said that it's not trying to make a point, it just wants to make you feel emotions, and boy does it do that well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Just finished catching up, and wow it really does keep getting worse continually throughout the game. That truly is an accomplishment. There are parts of it that I don't think are as bad as this thread does, which has managed to go a little overboard IMO with the whole piling-on thing. But not by much. Mostly, I can only echo the sentiments. I expected a bad ending. Somehow it managed to be much worse than I had anticipated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's kind of amusing, although I'll elaborate in the next thread when we get there, but there are small aspects of Jimmy that this game tries to do and completely fails at.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
- so essentia used sammy's disappearance because she thought nothing else would motivate our!alex? have you seen our!alex, andrew? actually looked at him? you could've told him that all he had to do to stop his mom from nagging at him to be a useful member of society was to kill alt-universe-himself, or whatever, and he'd have done it and been whining about forced diversity in Chrono Trigger without skipping a beat by brunchtime. this was pre-"character-development" alex. the one who you tell us was an entitled, selfish a-hole
- loving andrew-as-roy sucks alex' dick now? loving andrew, in heaven, joins the love train on his butthole? and you expect us to think he's loving flawed?
- what conflict? what loving division?
- where did the loving levers come from? did loving andrew loving magic them into loving existence?
- essentia and proto-alex are about to die or whatever and they're still in their idle poses of vague amusement and less vague amusement before it happens? gently caress off
- "...anyway, it doesn't matter now"? gently caress OFF? you act like this is some profound journey of self-improvement and you tell us it doesn't matter? you can't eat your cake and invite everyone to look at your very artistic cake too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

My suggestion for the thread title is, "No crying until the end? That's impossible!" A review for Jimmy said that it's not trying to make a point, it just wants to make you feel emotions, and boy does it do that well.

problem is that Jimmy's full title is so drat long that fitting in a proper quip is tricky

though i'd personally go for some variation of "Jimmy did his best"