Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Phy posted:

What was "fell in a terlet" from

A thread focused on mocking Abe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but has anyone thought about Gorgeous George lately? I just randomly remembered him from when I first joined the forums and the videos of people making fun of him on his shows so I decided hey I'll see if they're on YouTube. Big mistake, I wasn't prepared for a huge 15 year spanning rivalry that apparently he has been on with people where they continuously post videos about each other to THIS DAY.

There was an hour long video of people going over his bankruptcy paperwork.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

What was "fell in a terlet" from

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

your birth sorry :(

Jesus

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Re: bus kid, he had previously been in a strong enough state to hike out but was foiled because the river he needed to cross was much wider in late summer than in spring (at thing you’d expect if you knew gently caress all about hiking somewhere that far north- the snow melts!) and failed to bring a proper map of the area (which would have shown a hand-operated tram less than a mile from his failed river cross attempt and would also be something a hiker that knew more than gently caress all would do.)

Ironically, he basically pulled a successful Muerte for a while hiking and hitchhiking along roads in the continental US, and thought that meant he was ready to hike the Alaskan bush from Fairbanks to the loving Barents Sea

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:05 on May 2, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of my favorite comments about him, not sure if it was meant as a praise

Krakauer defends McCandless, claiming that what critics point to as arrogance was merely McCandless' desire for "being the first to explore a blank spot on the map." Krakauer continues: "In 1992, however, there were no more blank spots on the map—not in Alaska, not anywhere. But Chris, with his idiosyncratic logic, came up with an elegant solution to this dilemma: He simply got rid of the map. In his own mind, if nowhere else, the terra would thereby remain incognita posted:

I dont know how you can praise someone who dies because they want to be "discoverer"

Exact same thing happened on Everest
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriya_Shah-Klorfine

If anyone can find the SA Everest thread from that time there's tons of details from hikers and climbers goons about how horribly prepared she was.

One of her training methods involved jogging while wearing body armor and climbing a gym rock wall. She burned through 4x as much oxygen as she should've during the climb.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but has anyone thought about Gorgeous George lately? I just randomly remembered him from when I first joined the forums and the videos of people making fun of him on his shows so I decided hey I'll see if they're on YouTube. Big mistake, I wasn't prepared for a huge 15 year spanning rivalry that apparently he has been on with people where they continuously post videos about each other to THIS DAY.

There was an hour long video of people going over his bankruptcy paperwork.

Was it his show that goons would call and literally respond with a toilet flush?

Related: I watched one of the newer seasons of Trailer Park Boys, and holy hell did Sam Losco ever remind me of Romeo Rose with his new chompers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

your birth sorry :(

savage

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I'm sorry. I got you the best birthday card I have ever seen:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm sorry. I got you the best birthday card I have ever seen:

More like Fleta McBurn

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

I dont know how you can praise someone who dies because they want to be "discoverer"

Exact same thing happened on Everest
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriya_Shah-Klorfine

If anyone can find the SA Everest thread from that time there's tons of details from hikers and climbers goons about how horribly prepared she was.

One of her training methods involved jogging while wearing body armor and climbing a gym rock wall. She burned through 4x as much oxygen as she should've during the climb.

Sadly FYAD went crazy about the Everest death pool so the old Everest threads were gassed. There's one in Take a Hike but it's not nearly as fun. :smith:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arivia posted:

Sadly FYAD went crazy about the Everest death pool so the old Everest threads were gassed. There's one in Take a Hike but it's not nearly as fun. :smith:

Actually they were gassed because they were ghoulish and terrible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Actually they were gassed because they were ghoulish and terrible.
Um actually I think you'll find that it's extremely good to obsessively mock people who die, and it's just forums drama that ruined it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's good to mock rich idiots who exploit impoverished sherpas to physically haul their rear end in a conga-line up a mountain past hundreds of corpses in order to claim unearned praise from uninformed co-workers and people on facebook while leaving a trail of their own feces and garbage on a site considered holy by its locals, when they manage to die doing it because they've literally never climbed a mountain before, yes

nobody in that thread ever thought it was funny when the exploited sherpas died, and everyone generally had a lot of respect for actual mountaineers who had a clue about what they were doing, and was sad when those people died, for the most part

like if you think the darwin awards are ghoulish and terrible then sure, you're being consistent, but it was only ever really just a highly location-specific version of the darwin awards

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thought we were pro-dead rich people now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

it's good to mock rich idiots who exploit impoverished sherpas to physically haul their rear end in a conga-line up a mountain past hundreds of corpses in order to claim unearned praise from uninformed co-workers and people on facebook while leaving a trail of their own feces and garbage on a site considered holy by its locals, when they manage to die doing it because they've literally never climbed a mountain before, yes

nobody in that thread ever thought it was funny when the exploited sherpas died, and everyone generally had a lot of respect for actual mountaineers who had a clue about what they were doing, and was sad when those people died, for the most part

like if you think the darwin awards are ghoulish and terrible then sure, you're being consistent, but it was only ever really just a highly location-specific version of the darwin awards

This. Shriya Shah-Klorfine was hilarious. Reinhold Messner was a tragedy. Your other mountain deaths lie somewhere between those two poles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no, see, riding bicycles is dangerous, and therefor if you ever ride a bike, then you're being super hypocritical about the rich westerners substituting money for skill, experience, effort, and time so they can say they did something really really impressive, and taking a 1/10 chance of dying from bad luck doing it

that is an actual argument that was used in the thread at the time to help get it gassed

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FactsAreUseless posted:

Um actually I think you'll find that it's extremely good to obsessively mock people who die, and it's just forums drama that ruined it.

This but unironically

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You guys had a death pool, you were ghouls, just loving own it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If the sherpas are hand-holding them and all it takes is enough money to complete the climb, why do people die?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If the sherpas are hand-holding them and all it takes is enough money to complete the climb, why do people die?

avalanches, HAPE, HACE. these are things nobody can control, they're not correlated to fitness or age, it's just rolling the dice. So climbing everest (with supplemental oxygen and the help of sherpas) is simultaneously something almost anyone can do (people with no legs have done it, children have done it, the elderly have done it), and extremely dangerous because any serious problem in the death zone is gonna kill you and there likely won't be anything anyone can do to help you not die.

as an alpine challenge, it's considered quite low, with only one significant climb (the hillary step); serious mountaineers and alpinists tackle far more difficult climbs, and can do so at much lower elevations which significantly reduce the mortal danger. Summiting everest is not something that most serious mountaineers consider particularly worthy of respect, at least on its own. It's just got this lingering cultural cache to it stemming from 40+ years ago when it really was a massive achievement, and that is what prompts hundreds of wealthy office managers, lawyers, and accountants to shell out $50k to $120k to make one attempt at it every year.

Leperflesh has a new favorite as of 00:52 on May 3, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Before someone with actual evidence chimes in, which I'm eager to hear, I'm going to guess that the majority of the time it's because they gently caress up something that's basically Mountain Climbing 101. Even literally getting carried up the mountain won't stop you from dying if you decide to get a selfie without a face mask on and get frostbite on your face in 10 seconds, or any of a probably huge number of potentially-fatal mistakes that the sherpa's can't/won't catch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TBH this kind of circles back around to that dumbass McCandless who died less than a mile from civilization because wanted to be A Cool Wilderness Guy, lol

either do it right or be prepared to die and be mocked by goons

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everest is pretty treacherous even in the best conditions you can possibly have there. The window for reaching the summit is actually pretty short and if basically anything goes wrong the best you can do is go as far up as you can and maybe try again next year. I think there have been years where the conditions made it literally impossible to climb it so the locals are like "nah, we're not going up there and you're loving insane if you do."

However climbing the tallest mountains in the world is a hell of a status symbol so you have people pushing through risky situations anyway. Other times it's just idiots who don't know any better thinking they know better than the people who literally live there and climb it for a living. It's kind of a self-selection thing; a trip to Everest to climb the mountain isn't a cheap or fast thing so you're definitely taking time off work to do it. So you get rich pricks who only care about status symbols and think they're invincible pushing through conditions that the locals won't even touch because god drat it I paid all this money so I'm getting up this loving mountain whether you like it or not.

Other times you have things like the mountain just deciding it's time for you to die and launching a chunk of ice the size of a house at you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Before someone with actual evidence chimes in, which I'm eager to hear, I'm going to guess that the majority of the time it's because they gently caress up something that's basically Mountain Climbing 101. Even literally getting carried up the mountain won't stop you from dying if you decide to get a selfie without a face mask on and get frostbite on your face in 10 seconds, or any of a probably huge number of potentially-fatal mistakes that the sherpa's can't/won't catch.

There's some of that too, and that's likely what killed Shah-Klorfine: she gulped down way too much oxygen, and refused to turn back when her guides told her to repeatedly. A lot of the deaths up there come from oxygen deprivation removing people's ability to think clearly, combined with fixation on reaching the summit without regard to the fact that going back down is even more difficult than getting to the top.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

TBH this kind of circles back around to that dumbass McCandless who died less than a mile from civilization because wanted to be A Cool Wilderness Guy, lol

either do it right or be prepared to die and be mocked by goons

unsurprisingly, jon krakauer wrote a book on both and his take was largely the same "yes it's cool to push yourself to the edge of civilization but also don't be a giant loving idiot"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

There's some of that too, and that's likely what killed Shah-Klorfine: she gulped down way too much oxygen, and refused to turn back when her guides told her to repeatedly. A lot of the deaths up there come from oxygen deprivation removing people's ability to think clearly, combined with fixation on reaching the summit without regard to the fact that going back down is even more difficult than getting to the top.

also it's worth realizing that the standard tourist route to everest is basically a one-person wide stairway leading up the side. A lot of the time when poo poo goes bad in the death zone, one person dying and blocking the way gets everyone else completely hosed. A lot of contemporary Everest heroism stories (everything since In Thin Air) is a skilled mountaineer unfucking the route just to get a bunch of idiots down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, it really bears repeating that Nepal is a desperately poor country, the people working as Sherpas earn around ten or twenty dollars a day, and they take extreme risks to their life to earn that money because despite it being a pittance by western standards, one season on the mountain can feed their family for a year.

A bunch of sherpas have died doing this. They go before the full season starts and climb the mountain a bunch of times just to fix ropes, put ladders across crevasses for people to walk across, and carry hundreds and hundreds of oxygen bottles up the mountain. Sometimes there's an avalanche or an icefall and a dozen of them die.

Before anyone starts feeling sorry for the jr. vice presidents spending $80k for a summit attempt, remember that their dumbass adventure plans are written in the blood of an exploited people.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arivia posted:

unsurprisingly, jon krakauer wrote a book on both and his take was largely the same "yes it's cool to push yourself to the edge of civilization but also don't be a giant loving idiot"
Krakauer's stuff is really good, and I'm not even into adventure/survival stuff as a genre. Obvs being nonfiction helps, but he's also just a good writer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if anyone wants to go see nepal they should! hike the annapurna circuit; see way more of nepal's beauty, challenge yourself with a long-distance hike at high altitude, spread money around to the locals supporting sustainable businesses, have a very good chance of evacuation and rescue if you get into medical trouble, and not be indirectly responsible for the deaths of poor foreign workers! Also you can do it in less time and for vastly less money than an everest summit.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
But it's the highest mountain in the worrrrrllllddd!!! Totally worth it!

I remember seeing Everest thread around I think 2009 or so and it really was kinda fascinating learning about all the death that happens that kinda gets pushed under a rug. I had no idea there were random bodies up there until then but well, it's not like it's safe to bring them down so it seems obvious in retrospect. I think the death pool thing slowly escalated each year until it got creepy.

Oh yeah also got me reading Krakauer Into thin air so that was good I think

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So was the death pool just guessing the number or was it "Todd McRichington is gonna die up there?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

merge the everest, guillotine, and landlord threads, then stick that posting Cerberus in CSPAM.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It should have been a tontine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's always nice when goons can come to a consensus, so I'm glad we all agree the Everest threads were Cool and Good and shouldn't have been gassed and banned

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

So was the death pool just guessing the number or was it "Todd McRichington is gonna die up there?"

just guessing the number

and really it was just part of the original point of the thread, which is to help counter the general impression most people have all over the world, that an everest summit is an impressive personal challenge that people should aspire to and that you should admire of people who try it.

I agree that after three or four years, the death pool thing was kinda stupid, but those threads also were as much about mountaineering chat as they were about just endlessly discussing death on everest

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was it The Price is Right rules where some rear end in a top hat goon could come in and guess 1 death and hope that everyone else over guessed?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there really weren't rules or prizes, man

p sure it was just "how many" and nobody could guess the same number as you, except some people did anyway? someone was keeping track for a while but i think that lost steam

I'm not sure there was even a death pool after the first year?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

there really weren't rules or prizes, man

p sure it was just "how many" and nobody could guess the same number as you, except some people did anyway? someone was keeping track for a while but i think that lost steam

I'm not sure there was even a death pool after the first year?

YOU GHOULS

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, so it was just like a for the love of the game kind of thing. Cool cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm a ghoul