Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Weebus posted:

Being able to hire mercenaries in enemy territory is colossal bullshit. loving love it when egypt hires 60000 mercenaries standing on top of rome and burns my capital down. There should at least be a notification when your enemies hire mercenaries in your territory.

Yeah as noted above this just isn't a thing, or if it is it's a very fringe bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

ilitarist posted:

Those troops start exiled. They'll need to go to Egypt territory to be of any use.

Obliterati posted:

Yeah as noted above this just isn't a thing, or if it is it's a very fringe bug

Yeah thats what happened when I reloaded. Could be a bug maybe? I'm pretty sure I exploited african mercenaries against carthage before but that might have involved some fuckery with boats.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

For those who ask who thinks oratory power is useless - here's an example. He doesn't say it's useless but he struggles to find an application. I've seen on Reddit people claim that Civic is the only thing you ever need and everything else is useless.

and I do stand by it. I played from 450 to 680 or so (now the new patch broke the savegame so I'm going to restart) as Rome, and I always had a huge pile of both religious and oratory power.

1 claim is 180 oratory power or so, and since you only need 1 to go to war, it's not like you have to claim everything (doing that helps with AE so you can spend more of course, but still)
promoting pops is 20 power each, but you get a pretty decent spread of pops already, and it's frankly too boring to convert/assimilate every single one when you're expanding like Rome does, so I preferred running the assimilation province policy so it would be sort of automated. No one ever revolted, probably because I beelined all the +loyalty inventions
making friends is 25 oratory + 25 religion power, I guess, and then what else uses oratory? I'm sure that I am forgetting something, but I'm honestly struggling to think of anything, and I just played 40 hours of the game in 5 days
edit: improve opinion of course. Lol, like you actually want people to like you? I will crush everyone beneath my iron boot first :hist101:

religion piles up even more, but that's probably going to change with the new stability mechanic

meanwhile, civic is constantly used up by inventions (and to a lesser extent, being forced to move pops from my capital when it gets filled with slaves) and military just accumulates until you can get a tradition - which feels, and probably is, such a big jump in power that it makes sense that it'd drain your reserves - so it rarely goes over 1200/1500. I had many moments where I was at 2500+ oratory and religious power and told myself "Ok, time to convert and assimilate some pops" even if I did not really need it because playing as Rome is a drat cakewalk unless you purposefully push so hard you put yourself in trouble

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 2, 2019

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

TorakFade posted:

and I do stand by it. I played from 450 to 680 or so (now the new patch broke the savegame so I'm going to restart) as Rome, and I always had a huge pile of both religious and oratory power.

1 claim is 180 oratory power or so, and since you only need 1 to go to war, it's not like you have to claim everything (doing that helps with AE so you can spend more of course, but still)
promoting pops is 20 power each, but you get a pretty decent spread of pops already, and it's frankly too boring to convert/assimilate every single one when you're expanding like Rome does, so I preferred running the assimilation province policy so it would be sort of automated. No one ever revolted, probably because I beelined all the +loyalty inventions
making friends is 25 oratory + 25 religion power, I guess, and then what else uses oratory? I'm sure that I am forgetting something, but I'm honestly struggling to think of anything, and I just played 40 hours of the game in 5 days
edit: improve opinion of course. Lol, like you actually want people to like you? I will crush everyone beneath my iron boot first :hist101:

religion piles up even more, but that's probably going to change with the new stability mechanic

meanwhile, civic is constantly used up by inventions (and to a lesser extent, being forced to move pops from my capital when it gets filled with slaves) and military just accumulates until you can get a tradition - which feels, and probably is, such a big jump in power that it makes sense that it'd drain your reserves - so it rarely goes over 1200/1500. I had many moments where I was at 2500+ oratory and religious power and told myself "Ok, time to convert and assimilate some pops" even if I did not really need it because playing as Rome is a drat cakewalk unless you purposefully push so hard you put yourself in trouble

Oratory felt like it started off the most useful by a significant margin but it's utility started to fall off once I could use my enormous stockpile of Religious power to completely ignore the stability system and as my country and therefore army got bigger so any individual general or province being a unhappy wasn't such a big issue and could be dealt with with less urgency which combined with the inventions meant my use for Oratory power dropped off.

Civic did the opposite thing, early on the only use I had for it was hoovering up inventions and occasionally moving one or two pops but the larger my empire got the more pops needed moving and the more trade deals needed to be made so I found myself constantly strapped for it and wanting more.

Military power seems fairly constantly useful for military advances and army abilities but never in amounts that I was ever worried about it.

Religious feels like the weak link to me, it's rarely useful enough that I don't end up with a few thousand of it, which means stability becomes a non-factor, which reduces the utility of Oratory power for claims to avoid no CB wars. This might change when stability is changed?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TorakFade posted:

You are also playing Rome who gets a million free claims

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

When looking at a unit, how can you tell what bonuses they've gained from advancements and inventions?

Also how is attacker/ defender determined? Is it actually who is attacking into who? Or is it who owns the city? Or is it who controls the city at that time?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 2, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zotix posted:

When looking at a unit, how can you tell what bonuses they've gained from advancements and inventions?

Also how is attacker/ defender determined? Is it actually who is attacking into who? Or is it who owns the city? Or is it who controls the city at that time?

In mechanics terms I'm pretty sure the defender is always the one who was already inside the tile before the battle started.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Unless attacking an army seiging their fort.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, I mean in that case the guys doing the siege are the ones "on the tile" so... yeah.

I don't even think that counts as an exception. It's still just "the rule". Unless I'm not understanding what you're describing. Do you mean a siege army performing an assault?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chomp8645 posted:

Well, I mean in that case the guys doing the siege are the ones "on the tile" so... yeah.

I don't even think that counts as an exception. It's still just "the rule". Unless I'm not understanding what you're describing. Do you mean a siege army performing an assault?

If you attack an army that's sieging your (or your Ally's) owned fort, they will be the attacker even though normally they'd be the defender

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

canepazzo posted:

First patch is live

quote:

###################
# Performance
###################
- Optimized daily tick to improve stuttering
- Added option to run a benchmark. Use the launch options with ‘-benchmark’ to run a ~4 minute benchmark, testing GPU & CPU.

I'm a bit disappointed that that's all we get for performance, unless there's more that just didn't get noted in the patch notes.

Right now the game is noticeably laggy anytime a character sheet, or the characters or families window is visible. Like even with the game paused, just mousing around to look at tooltips is laggy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TorakFade posted:

If you attack an army that's sieging your (or your Ally's) owned fort, they will be the attacker even though normally they'd be the defender

Oh ok. That's kinda weird. Seems logically like they should still be the defender.

Hell, Caeser did a double defense in both direction as a siege army. Learn your history, Paradorks!!!!!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ilitarist posted:

So I have around 100 hours in Stellaris and I guess I like the music but the game in general is boring as hell and I regret trying to get into it. Some other person might have the same amount of time in Stellaris, think it's great and move on.

Just a general note to anyone, please don't do this. I get it, sometimes you want to like a game or think it has great potential so you force yourself to play it and end up just feeling burned and regretful but that's basically just self-torture. Plenty of games may need more than 2 hours to really feel whether you like them or not, but after a good 10-20 or so don't force yourself to like/play a game you just don't like.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh ok. That's kinda weird. Seems logically like they should still be the defender.

Hell, Caeser did a double defense in both direction as a siege army. Learn your history, Paradorks!!!!!

Well it's easier and more advantageous to defend your own forts this way, so that smaller nations can still have a chance vs the big guys, just put forts EVERYWHERE and attack them while they siege, especially in hills and mountains :) otherwise a superior army will just trounce you everytime and having mountain forts becomes quite useless (I mean, you'd actually get penalties if you want to remove a siege from your mountain fort, defeating the point of having it in the first place)

By the way, I started a game in Britain as one of the tribes there, and got my rear end handed to me quite quickly, everybody just allied eachother and I got impatient and attacked someone, but it became a long and grueling war that sent me into bankruptcy and left me the way I started, only now all my neighbors hate the gently caress out of me :v: guess I should've declared day 1, or asap anyways

Now I'll try a Gaul tribe in the north, they're a bit bigger and have smaller neighbors so I should have enough time to consolidate somewhat before the Romans arrive

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 2, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

nessin posted:

Just a general note to anyone, please don't do this. I get it, sometimes you want to like a game or think it has great potential so you force yourself to play it and end up just feeling burned and regretful but that's basically just self-torture. Plenty of games may need more than 2 hours to really feel whether you like them or not, but after a good 10-20 or so don't force yourself to like/play a game you just don't like.

Yes, too much time was spent on the stuff I don't like because I trusted people. They said it's good, they said I don't understand.

But no more. No trusting anymore.

Only cold, stone heart.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So did the hotfix improve the game for people?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Since you can't have governors local troops in your capital province, Ironic enough it's the capital region that has the most unrest.
Nice one paradox.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Descar posted:

Since you can't have governors local troops in your capital province, Ironic enough it's the capital region that has the most unrest.
Nice one paradox.

historical

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Descar posted:

Nice one paradox.

I mean... that sounds about right

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yeah historically rome was incredibly riotous and in natural demographic decline from all the people

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

nessin posted:

In case of Stellaris, it's pretty good at obfuscating its blandness behind meaningless mechanics (such as the Factions). This initially makes the game quite fun until you realize that 90% of things you were doing didn't serve any purpose and could have been ignored with no consequences. At this point you already have sunk at least several hours into the game, so you might as well try to finish it. Rinse and repeat the same process every time a major patch comes out and everyone claims OMG, it's a completely different game now! Add some hours spent just after each minor patch to check if it's still a buggy mess and you can easily end up with 100+ hours spent on a game which you didn't really enjoy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gantolandon posted:

In case of Stellaris, it's pretty good at obfuscating its blandness behind meaningless mechanics (such as the Factions). This initially makes the game quite fun until you realize that 90% of things you were doing didn't serve any purpose and could have been ignored with no consequences. At this point you already have sunk at least several hours into the game, so you might as well try to finish it. Rinse and repeat the same process every time a major patch comes out and everyone claims OMG, it's a completely different game now! Add some hours spent just after each minor patch to check if it's still a buggy mess and you can easily end up with 100+ hours spent on a game which you didn't really enjoy.

Exactly that. I:R is different as it's immediately obvious that fundamental mechanics allow for interesting gameplay for a long time even if no mechanics are ever redone.

Another example of such a game with 100 hours played negative reviews would be RPGs. They feed you mechanics but then turns out that you don't really need any of them and the game is much simpler than it pretends to be, and then the story gets out of steam and you're in the world of empty locations filled with trash fights. Really many RPGs do that, and you've already 20 hours in by the time you realize you're bored, but you need to finish it if only to see the story. And then it turns out that the ending is 80 hours away. That's Pathfinder: Kingmaker, for example. Stellaris adds to it major reworks that promise you that now it's a good game. Usually when RPGs get one of those (Divinity Original Sin, Witcher 1-2) they really mean it.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
OK, this has to be a bug
when Pretenders to the throne raise an army in succession crisis,
when they take attrition, they use your manpower...

Just playing maurya, and having 2 pretenders with 50k troops each marching around in the jungle,
making me lose 4k manpower a month.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So did the hotfix improve the game for people?

Stuttering is almost unnoticeable for me now, whereas when I tested it last night it was quite the opposite. Seems a lot less laggy in general, really.

The other bugfixes are nice as well. Not bad for a first week patch.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

There's a bug in the hotfix that makes certain island cities or others that aren't directly connected by a land bridge impossible to take during a peace treaty. Allegedly they're working on a hotfix for the hotfix :v: I ran into it today while trying to replicate the Macedonian wars as Rome, turns out I might actually need three of them after all!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep posted:

Stuttering is almost unnoticeable for me now, whereas when I tested it last night it was quite the opposite. Seems a lot less laggy in general, really.

The other bugfixes are nice as well. Not bad for a first week patch.

Cool, okay I think that’s enough for me to give this a try.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
MIght be way behind on this topic, but it’s weird that Carthage is green right?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Should be purple.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ilitarist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaRPRFx6_c

Another video review. Pretty harsh too, but more self-conscious. He doesn't like lack of personality like many others but argues about gameplay, not about fluff. He doesn't like MP too but is more eloquent when explaining why and comes to it from more of a psychological side. He doesn't say it's unrealistic or non-strategic or something. He cares about it feels like it's too much about waiting for enough resources to instantly do a thing as opposed to following the progress as it is with tech. It's also telling that he has his own impression of the importance of specific types of power: he says Oratory is the most important while many people cry about it being useless. Which to me tells that there are different playstyles that people naturally fall into.

This guy seems credible (even though he mentions that Greeks should have a Phalanx tactic or something... which they have). He says he played 300 hours and it was fun. So perhaps he's right and 300 hours later I'd say that I'm done with that game while I have much more in EU4 which I consider inferior as a game. It's still fine. Even 10 hour strategy game (like Into the Breach or something) is great and costs its money as long as it feels good.

Oratory is the most important by far in the early game for basically everybody but especially for tribals. Religious is also like useless 90% of the time because it's almost difficult to not have maxed out stability.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Decided to start a game just to check if the stuttering was fixed for me and whelp didn't need those hours anyway!

Started as Bosporan Kingdom, missed out on iron trade but got horses instead and have now proceeded to out-horse the steppe nomads :v:

10k Light Cavalry stacks are great in low-supply areas, and the greeks havea a great military traditions tree for it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ilitarist posted:

One of the things I'm angry about in I:R is fog. I highly recommend using this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723465882

Thanks dude. Makes the map 1000% better.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Hmm, I just noticed you can't form Gaul if you're a tribe. Is it actually worth becoming a democracy or monarchy if you're a federated tribe? I think I might be better off staying as Belgia for a while longer before I change to Gaul for the achievement. The free tribal armies seem extremely strong to me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The colors they chose for Carthage and Egypt really bother me. Luckily there are mods that make them white and yellow respectively. Also I'm probably going to poke at using a TW flag mod since I like their flags more.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Walh Hara posted:

Hmm, I just noticed you can't form Gaul if you're a tribe. Is it actually worth becoming a democracy or monarchy if you're a federated tribe? I think I might be better off staying as Belgia for a while longer before I change to Gaul for the achievement. The free tribal armies seem extremely strong to me.

I think staying tribal vs. going to republic/monarchy is more of a function of civilization level and centralization. If both of those are high and you have lots of non-tribesman POPs, then transitioning to a Republic or Monarchy is a good choice.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yo Wiz I'll pay $20 for DLC that removes the fog of war over impassable terrain you border and/or encircle.

There's one zoom level where you're high enough out that the fog doesn't get drawn but can still see your units, which is about the only way I can stand to look at the map (but unfortunately that zoom level doesn't draw forts or capitals for whatever reason).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

why are white and yellow the correct colors for carthage and egypt?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

that's a sincere question, btw

THS
Sep 15, 2017

total war games

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you form Egypt as a country in the Egyptian culture group, you get an Egypt with a proper goldish hue and not that awful grey the Ptolemy's get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Senor Dog posted:

why are white and yellow the correct colors for carthage and egypt?

The carthaginian flag is white. So It confuses me that they would be ... suddenly green.

But also

THS posted:

total war games