Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Having played Warhammer40k from 2nd to like 6th ed, and working in a games shop in 2001, Tau are very anime inspired. Lots of people were mad about anime mechs being made a part of the grimdark game. I heard a lot of complaints from customers... and they also sold really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

spectralent posted:

Tau are vaguely space-PRC, or generically space "asia", but even then there's not that much too it. They're pseudo-communist ciphers, had warring states, and have an elemental aesthetic that includes lots of references to waves, but the degree to which they're space-japan always seems massively overexaggerated to me (not uncommonly as an excuse to do "hilarious" Japanese accents or to portray tau women as harem-bait anime girls).

http://www.ninjacyborg.com/2017/01/06/all-the-ways-tau-are-oriental-in-warhammer-40000/

That "hilarious" accent is actually a Chinese-English person voicing Tau in the Firewarrior game.

Some of my favorite points :

• The Tau come from the ‘galactic’ east, with their latest Codex starting with references to the rising sun.
  • Commander Puretide’s training temple is on Mount Kanji – Kanji is the Japanese word for their character set that is inherited from Chinese characters
  • Tau infantry, the Fire Warriors, wear armour that includes the loose, baggy trousers and circular helmets of the Ashigaru – the samurai’s foot soldiers

The last point especially because compare the location and shape of Firewarrior armor to samurai armor and it becomes dead obvious.

Wide, flat, layered plates over cloth. Largest segments being the shoulders, thighs, and chests with a little to no armor on lower legs, feet, and hands.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

The ‘Onager’ gauntlet calls to mind the Japanese name for red snapper fish – Onaga

I don't think that's where the word comes from. "Onager" was a Roman word for "catapult."

Edit: That said, if you think the "Oriental" accents for the Tau are bad, the audiobook Scars (about the White Scars) is even worse.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cessna posted:

I don't think that's where the word comes from. "Onager" was a Roman word for "catapult."

Edit: That said, if you think the "Oriental" accents for the Tau are bad, the audiobook Scars (about the White Scars) is even worse.

Oh God, I bet it sounds like a ww2 era radio show with Japenese villains

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

Star Wars Trade Federation

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

PinheadSlim posted:

http://www.ninjacyborg.com/2017/01/06/all-the-ways-tau-are-oriental-in-warhammer-40000/

That "hilarious" accent is actually a Chinese-English person voicing Tau in the Firewarrior game.

Some of my favorite points :

• The Tau come from the ‘galactic’ east, with their latest Codex starting with references to the rising sun.
  • Commander Puretide’s training temple is on Mount Kanji – Kanji is the Japanese word for their character set that is inherited from Chinese characters
  • Tau infantry, the Fire Warriors, wear armour that includes the loose, baggy trousers and circular helmets of the Ashigaru – the samurai’s foot soldiers

The last point especially because compare the location and shape of Firewarrior armor to samurai armor and it becomes dead obvious.

Wide, flat, layered plates over cloth. Largest segments being the shoulders, thighs, and chests with a little to no armor on lower legs, feet, and hands.

The armour layout does make sense.

Also, the accent in DOW wasn't what I was talking about; one of the lovely jokes I notice a lot of exceptionally white people doing at game stores is l-r substitution parody accents for tau. It seems very lovely!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Corrode posted:

It's a difficult balance to get right because you obviously don't want to just say "ignore all non-white cultures," but if you're gonna do it, it needs a lot more nuance than it's typically given.

probably the most difficult balance to get right in 40k imho is remembering that the setting is ultimately satirical, or at the very least should still contain strong satirical elements, and is still meant to depict a wretched future dystopia through and through - that creates certain complications, shall we say

"congratulations everyone, we've managed to thoughtfully incorporate a previously unrepresented people and their culture into the 40k setting - it is being used to further our depiction of human society's decline into its most base, most vile and most ignorant form yet and using these persons to partly figurehead the hateful oppressor, the miserable oppressed or both in equal measure has succeeded seamlessly" seems like half-win for representation in the best of cases imho

there are workarounds of course, ignoring all foreign peoples or cultures isn't the answer, but i'm willing to bet mixed messaging is probably going to be an ongoing issue either way, remembering certain constraints of the setting

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah.

I liked the book, and I've downloaded several Horus Heresy audiobooks to listen to when I run or when I'm at work, so I figured I'd try Scars. For the first few minutes it was okay, then they introduced characters who were voice-acted as "ah so, honorable mister Space Marine" and I stopped listening right there.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hard counter posted:

there are workarounds of course, ignoring all foreign peoples or cultures isn't the answer, but i'm willing to bet mixed messaging is probably going to be an ongoing issue either way, remembering certain constraints of the setting

I think the fix is to bring in people of other ethnicities but do so in a way that doesn't make them racist caricatures. Like, "these people are of Asian ethnicity - but they don't have WWII Japanese Propaganda Villain accents."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Corrode posted:

I mean the question then is "what is appropriation" because it's a lot more complicated than just saying "thing X takes inspiration from thing Y."

For me, it comes down to what the relationship between things X and Y is, putting other factors aside. Like, let's take East Rome/Byzantium vs. Mongolia, i.e. Emperor's Children vs. White Scars.

For the former pair I'd call it inspiration. Byzantium is part of a shared European past which the designers can fairly lay claim to. It's definitely not straightforward, since the rest of Europe has a complex relationship with the Byzantine Empire, but broadly there's a ton of shared cultural markers there which it's more or less appropriate to use. It's also not just a straight lift - there's a design language there, but there's also at least as much focus on the totally alien 40k bits like Slaanesh and Fulgrim's personality and pursuit of perfection, and the whole Noise Marine aspect. Their characters aren't just "because they're Byzantine lifts, they're like this."

The latter is more like appropriation. White Scars are Space Mongols riding Space Mongol Bikes in Space Mongol Hordes in Space. They have very little characterisation that isn't "outsider's look at Mongol things." And there is way less of a cultural relationship between Europe and the Mongol Empire, and what there is is basically antagonistic. Even taking a basically positive spin on it like GW does, you end up with noble savages who are good and pure and good at war and they all fight and act like this.

It's a difficult balance to get right because you obviously don't want to just say "ignore all non-white cultures," but if you're gonna do it, it needs a lot more nuance than it's typically given.

i think part of the distinction here is like...whether the people you're cribbing from still exist

there aren't babylonians or romans irl, so as far as im concerned it's open season on those, unless you somehow take a babylonian schtick so far that it becomes general middle-eastern pastiche. It's hard to call it appropriation if you're doing an ancient dead civilization, owing to the lack of people to appropriate from.

whereas mongolians and other central-asian steppe peoples are still around
maya are still around
japanese, obviously, are still around
etc.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Tau came out there was an article from the designers in White Dwarf that mentioned they were inspired by anime. Full stop.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This was posted on Reddit just this morning, coincidentally

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

of course this distinction would get dicey and isn't really hard/fast

you could call the tang dynasty an ancient dead civilization, but obviously chinese people still exist and may or may not identify with that imagery

do people from the modern arabized state of egypt identify with ancient Egyptian imagery? i don't think so, but you never know!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Darwinism posted:

People tend to forget, or not learn at all I guess, that the Nazis went all-in on crony capitalism.
The thing is, fascism is crony capitalism as a form of government in itself. American schools don't teach that because it raises uncomfortable questions about our own government and that of many of our allies.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

And... uh... practically every single fantasy setting ever has an unexamined assumption that things used to be great before a great evil hosed them up which often turns into something weirdly close to the fascist idealisation of the past. Especially when the great evil is sentient humanoids who are, you know, just evil because that's what they are.
Most fantasy RPG settings have the inherent problem of making race a biological reality. I can't think of many that actually explore that as a concept besides Fragged Empire and Eclipse Phase.

JBP posted:

Zeon seems more like some insane feudal aristocracy to me.
Well, the Nazis wanted to turn the lands they conquered into a sort of neo-feudal settler state.

Cessna posted:

If that's right, is someone going to tell the Wehraboos that the "humanoids" were their beloved Germans?
I've seen a couple OSR games that have a weird fascination with the Picts as a race.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cessna posted:

I think the fix is to bring in people of other ethnicities but do so in a way that doesn't make them racist caricatures. Like, "these people are of Asian ethnicity - but they don't have WWII Japanese Propaganda Villain accents."

rejecting existing racist stereotypes is a definite start and part of any good workaround i agree, but i think i'll still argue that, for e.g, if someone were wedging in a regiment based on, say, historical vietnam into the 40k setting as an oppressive force every bit the equal of the imperium and the rest of the setting you're already flirting a depiction that'll necessarily be an evil caricature of a sort

that's the part that i suspect will result in mixed messaging when it comes to representation that aims at inclusion into the IP

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen a couple OSR games that have a weird fascination with the Picts as a race.

that's gotta be taken straight from R.E. Howard i bet

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hard counter posted:

rejecting existing racist stereotypes is a definite start and part of any good workaround i agree, but i think i'll still argue that, for e.g, if someone were wedging in a regiment based on, say, historical vietnam into the 40k setting as an oppressive force every bit the equal of the imperium and the rest of the setting you're already flirting a depiction that'll necessarily be an evil caricature of a sort

that's the part that i suspect will result in mixed messaging when it comes to representation that aims at inclusion into the IP

I've mentioned that I'm working on Tau that will have a vaguely "US in Vietnam"/jungle theme.

Maybe I should switch them up a bit more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PupsOfWar posted:

of course this distinction would get dicey and isn't really hard/fast

you could call the tang dynasty an ancient dead civilization, but obviously chinese people still exist and may or may not identify with that imagery

do people from the modern arabized state of egypt identify with ancient Egyptian imagery? i don't think so, but you never know!!

My experience is that Egypt is proud of its ancient past but would very much appreciate people realizing it also has other things in its history that are more recent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PupsOfWar posted:

that's gotta be taken straight from R.E. Howard i bet
Yes. Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea leans really hard into this idea among the OSR that fiction is just fiction--so there's nothing wrong with imitating old sword & sorcery to the letter in describing various peoples with terms like "dusky," "squat," "jaundiced," and "hook-nosed"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

otoh it's the case that the tau are significantly more hopeful/optimistic/reasonable than the rest of the setting, to the point where it's even a little contentious

i'm not sure if it was intentional but it does avoid making a fully evil caricature of a group we'd feel less comfortable criticizing as caustically as we sometimes criticize ourselves

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Has Battletech/MechWarrior done much about their little problems involving stereotypes? If there was one system with troublesome fluff it's that one.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Cessna posted:

An onager is a type of donkey. The catapult was named after the donkey, because it kicked like a mule.

The Tau special weapon is the "Onager Gauntlet." It's a donkey punch joke.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Holy poo poo how did I miss that?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Two Beans posted:

Has Battletech/MechWarrior done much about their little problems involving stereotypes? If there was one system with troublesome fluff it's that one.

ehhh sorta?

Draconis Combine's always been kinda written as a racially diverse society working around government mandated samurai cosplay.

Capellan Confederation's still kinda bad but at least they traded the yellow peril stereotype for the much less offensive revolutionary chinese aesthetic.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Resting Lich Face posted:

Meh. Art can take on meaning beyond anything the artist intended.

I'm not a fascist and that's what actually matters.

I'm with you on that.

One of my favourite books as a child and probably now is Tarka The Otter by Henry Williamson.

He was an out and out nazi fascist, but he wrote a beautiful book about an otter. I felt conflicted when I found out about his political beliefs but now I think gently caress it. It's a good book.

Just to justify my place in this thread, not that I have to. But I'm painting up some 15mm late war British infantry by Peter Pig for Chain Of Command. And I've been on more anti fascist demos back in the day that I am quite relaxed in thinking I've done my bit.

Time for the young uns to shine.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

General China posted:

And I've been on more anti fascist demos back in the day that I am quite relaxed in thinking I've done my bit.

You don't get freebies on... whatever it is you're trying to say, just because you used to attend anti-fascist rallies. That's not how being a good person works.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LatwPIAT posted:

You don't get freebies on... whatever it is you're trying to say, just because you used to attend anti-fascist rallies. That's not how being a good person works.
Heh, would that be like the Antifa version of papal indulgences?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Ilor posted:

Heh, would that be like the Antifa version of papal indulgences?

How many times do I have to egg nazis to let me play RaHoWa

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Two Beans posted:

The series has always been pretty good about individual race/sex/gender/orientation/etc. not mattering. The Inner Sphere is egalitarian, your appearance doesn't matter so long as you can drive a giant murder robot. The two successor states where institutionalized racism and/or sexism is a thing (the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine, respectively) are both portrayed as being completely and utterly in the wrong about it and are either directly and explicitly weakened by their prejudices or have those same prejudices openly challenged.

House Davion's hangups with Asian people may have an understandable cause (the Kentares V massacre) but the series makes no bones about how stupid and shortsighted their racism makes them. Meanwhile, House Kurita has never had a Coordinator as skilled and capable as Yori Kurita (a "mere" woman). The Draconis Combine now has a New Avalon prefecture and I am 100% onboard with the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns merging because they are basically the same nation with only your preference as to whether you prefer a Samurai or Cowboy aesthetic. Samurai Cowboys are inherently superior to both.

More seriously, the novels describe most everyone with build, and then either hair color or eye color. Skin tone is almost never directly mentioned with a few rare exceptions. I've always felt (accidental or otherwise) that that was a pretty alright way to handle things, as it showed how little that aspect of anyone's appearance mattered to the viewpoint characters.

Hell, we only know Lincoln Osis was black because of official art, not because of how he was described in any novels.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

ehhh sorta?

Draconis Combine's always been kinda written as a racially diverse society working around government mandated samurai cosplay.

Capellan Confederation's still kinda bad but at least they traded the yellow peril stereotype for the much less offensive revolutionary chinese aesthetic.
What's more directly troubling about BattleTech is Coleman and Pardoe's pretty blatant Lost Cause southern apologia. Their novels are pretty avoidable, and they are capable of writing nuanced characters, but General Archer "Stonewall" Christifori was insufferable and I'm glad the Jade Falcons killed him off-screen.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Minobu Tetsuhara is pretty much the notable exception.

And yeah I forgot about the lost cause bullshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Draconis Combine now has a New Avalon prefecture and I am 100% onboard with the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns merging because they are basically the same nation with only your preference as to whether you prefer a Samurai or Cowboy aesthetic. Samurai Cowboys are inherently superior to both.
Is Rawhide Kobayashi a legitimate Mechwarrior concept?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Absolutely.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

And yeah I forgot about the lost cause bullshit.
Pardoe's worse than Coleman, but they were both pretty blatant about it. That didn't stop them from accidentally making Archer Christifori a Union general (and they accidentally put Adam Steiner in the shoes of Robert E. Lee, lol).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

Most fantasy RPG settings have the inherent problem of making race a biological reality. I can't think of many that actually explore that as a concept besides Fragged Empire and Eclipse Phase.

Shadowrun gets into it, as all of the 'fantasy' races are genetically human and cross-fertile, they just have recessive genetics that express once the magic level rises enough. Elf, dwarf, ork, and troll babies are still born to otherwise apparently human parents, and a large number of apparently human people underwent a kind of second puberty once the magic level crossed that line. The best part is that it doesn't in any way correlate to what modern humans consider race.

Unfortunately they didn't go far enough to dodge the stereotypical Tolkein takes on greenskins, and a few of the later writers have done some lovely stuff with linking (for example) the treatment of orks and trolls with that of modern American racial minorities.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 3, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...how did non-Warhammer orcs become green, anyways? I'm not even sure when green goblins took hold of the genre, or even if Spider-Man's Green Goblin came first.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Joe Slowboat posted:

...how did non-Warhammer orcs become green, anyways? I'm not even sure when green goblins took hold of the genre, or even if Spider-Man's Green Goblin came first.

I'm guessing Warcraft did a lot to codify the green orc, and that aspect was likely inspired by Warhammer (since Warcraft was originally intended as a Warhammer video game but Blizzard couldn't get the rights to the IP).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's a misnomer in SR's case, too, because orks and trolls aren't green. I use the term out of habit because I play a lot of Games Workshop stuff. :)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Wyvernil posted:

I'm guessing Warcraft did a lot to codify the green orc, and that aspect was likely inspired by Warhammer (since Warcraft was originally intended as a Warhammer video game but Blizzard couldn't get the rights to the IP).

It's this. Warhammer lead to Warcraft, and Warcraft's setting is, sorry to say, the most interacted with fantasy setting in the world.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Warcraft and Starcraft ripping off GW was one of the most bitter and hate filled battlefields an opinionated child could find themselves on.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's this. Warhammer lead to Warcraft, and Warcraft's setting is, sorry to say, the most interacted with fantasy setting in the world.

That is a good point, and also it fills my soul with a deep and abiding frustration. Especially since Warcraft is, if not the worst of the Tolkien-knockoffs, a pretty deeply standard one with some added cartoonish stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warcraft is what you get if you read Warhammer and utterly miss all the satire. Same with Starcraft and 40k.