Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The super-obvious one, I thought, was that Lady gets a rematch against Artemis (since they already have her as a boss and all) and finally gets to use it as a Devil Arm herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Give Vergil a fedora that functions like Dr Faust except it makes enemies panic and scramble to try to get it off their head, which makes them easy targets for combos.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the only 2 bosses that aren't in bloody palace are Elder Geryon and Nidhogg, and those bosses SUCK

Hey I'd love to fight Elder Greyon as either Nero or Dante.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm actually really surprised they didn't put in a universal Mission replay mode where you can just pick whichever character you want. They would have had to make a number of concessions for things like Grim grip points on V or Dante but they've done as much in the past for other alternate modes! I'm sure mods will eventually make it possible true some kind of techno-magic.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone better get Pandora(Lady) or I will be mad :tizzy:

Filling out Lady as a really elaborate ranged characters would be a cool thing to do with her; she was already range-based in DMC 4 SE but something more elaborate would be great as well as filling the power fantasy of having a completely human character using tech to keep up with the demon family.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

CJacobs posted:

I'm actually really surprised they didn't put in a universal Mission replay mode where you can just pick whichever character you want. They would have had to make a number of concessions for things like Grim grip points on V or Dante but they've done as much in the past for other alternate modes! I'm sure mods will eventually make it possible true some kind of techno-magic.

If Vergil can trick through grim grips there's no reason Dante couldn't do it too, also just let V use Shadow as a grappling hook or something

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Well V can use air trick as well with his cane so theres that

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
V just does his SS air taunt as a way to traverse between grim grip points.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
https://youtu.be/rJcrH2JKuwM
Oh I see, that’s what i’ve been doing wrong.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dang, that's good poo poo.

Those Skewer placements make me jealous.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tiriganiaq posted:

this dude is so loving sick against hell antenora and judecca mobs, my worst matchups, that im disgusted with myself

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tiriganiaq posted:

that was an anime

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Tiriganiaq posted:

:eyepop: That's filth.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:hmmyes:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tiriganiaq posted:

I do appreaciate that not playing as V doesn't make the action any easier to follow. Goddamn the cane parries are cool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So he just groups the enemies such that the AoE attacks are actually doing a shitload of work. That’s really smart and plays to V’s biggest strength. Not surprising.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

So glad they patched out the lens flares

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Tiriganiaq posted:

I need to start using Royal Fork on "live" targets.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Tiriganiaq posted:

Good LORD what is happening in there?

You mean there's more to V than spamming Shadow and lightning bolts?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I've played a handful of character action games over the years but never got in to them enough to get much past a run through on normal or so and feeling all cool when I saw the credit roll. Then after loving Metal Gear V (hey coincidence) I went on an LP binge, the ChipCheezum LP of MGR made me realize I actually played that game like trash and didn't use the fun built in mechanics much so I went back and beat it on Hard, that felt pretty gosu. Having eaten the apple of knowledge I played Bayonetta 1 on normal and thought about going back for more, then played Bayonetta 2 and got in to it enough to do the second highest difficulty and most of the bloody palace/witch trial things. Back to FPS games and stuff. Tried the DMC5 demo, shrug, Nero's arm and breaking it seemed dumb.

Then an awesome goon sold me a DMCV code for :20bux: and holy :aaaaa:

Couldn't put it down till I beat it up through DMD (and without spamming too many gold orbs!). Such a crazy good game, and it was so fun to sort of start to understand the different combat mechanics available. Additionally, the rest of the game felt really drat well put together. Which got me wondering about the rest of the genre. Had I just button mashed through easy difficulty on these games and missed what made them distinct for all these years? That's led me to binge a deep dive in to the genre. I'm playing a shitload of the games back to back to directly compare and contrast, see the DNA of what led up to DMCV, see what was awesome and terrible about other games, and have fun taking a more..informed? approach to playing through them.

I've been thinking lots of :words: as I play through them that would probably be dumb to poo poo the thread up with but I'm trying to keep brief notes of cool stuff and dumb stuff in the order I play them, and at the end I'll make some dumb tier list/what's better than what imo order. I'll clean up my notes a bit for my DMC playthroughs and post them. I can keep doing it for the other char action games as I go if it's on topic and anyone wants me to I guess? So far I've done DMC1-5, DmC, Bayo 1, MGR. Current to do list is Bayo 2, ZoE2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Transformers Devastation. I've done through the DMD equivalent of everything but DMC 1 and 2 so I might have to go back to 1 to check that box. Open to any suggestions of anything else that I should really check out and add on there.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Here's what I have for the DMCs. Before, I had only played through DMC4 and DmC once (and thought hey it's pretty great why's everyone rag on it so hard??). This time I did one normal run of 1-2, then re-runs up through VH of 3, DMD of 4 and DmC. In the order I played them:

DMC5 the good
Best game
The bad
Not ZoE3

DMC4 (standard edition) the good
Nice variety in enemies and how you have to fight them, graphics still look good, some neato environments and aesthetics. Fake edit after playing a bunch of other games, the combat controls and move sets the player has in this and 5 are really outstanding and in a class of their own and I didn't realize until really spending a lot of time playing with everything and going back to other games again.
The bad
Only a few environments which got stale, slow to pick up, camera still sucks.
:argh: Gryo blades and dice

DMC1 the good
Solid building blocks for the series, great environments that make DMC4 look bad, great bosses. Was expecting some awful early days 3D game I was gonna skip, but legit ended up really enjoying playing through it.
The bad
Some of the cons of an early 3D game, but feel like I'd need to replay it a few times on the higher difficulties to fairly comment.

DMC2 the good
Arius was a groovy bad guy, nice design and cohesiveness with stuff like giving him a move where in the fight he just teleports out of camera and chills sipping wine letting his lackeys fight until you run over and hit him :allears:. Props for attempting the hell world wobbly stuff, some cool devil trigger modes maybe? Added some series building blocks like BP and fast weapon switching.
The bad
It was pretty much made in 6 months, don't need to beat this dead horse.
:argh: Camera and attack direction REALLY latching on to enemies (shoutouts to the tip to hold R2 to attack switches instead of enemies in AccountingNightmare's LP..which I saw after I finished the game RIP!).

DMC3 (special edition) the good
OK after 1 and 2 now the series is starting to feel like proper DMC again, dang groovy overall and just a great all in one package. Not gonna call out what was good cause I'd just be writing out everything in the game.
The bad
Series still getting its feet for nailing combat variety with some cramped fighting areas and limited active weapons/styles.
:argh: Platforming, DMD enemy HP (I didn't even finish through the first boss battle before saying fuckit and moving on)

DmC (standard edition) the good
So the game is actually really good :smug:. For one playthrough :suicide:. Combat, level design, lots of set piece goodness, bunch of look and feel that I think carried over into 5. QoL is great with restart from checkpoint, practice mode, fast loading, quick restarts. Vergil DLC is a better tighter version of the game too. DMCV combat now seems straight up to me like they took the controls and movesets from 4 and gave them the sound/VFX/"feel" of DmC.
The bad
Dead horse about the script/chars and all. Where it gets rough is the more you rerun the game and knock up difficulties, imo it gets more about puzzle solving than ~styling~. See a certain enemy, do the one set of moves you figured out is way more effective than anything else. Then platforming that was neat the first time but now you're just trying to mash through as quick as possible to get to the next fight. Boss fights same thing but worse, just press the exact same buttons you did last time and wish you could skip all the mid fight cutscenes.
:argh: Unskippable cutscenes

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Personal suggestion would be to start looking at things even earlier than DMC1 for the real origin of the whole style behind character action games. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Onimusha
Basically a Resident Evil game set in Feudal Japan with Swords taking the place of guns. The combat is familar but lacks a lot of the signature flare that later games would have. Retains much of its RE origins like having to lock on to enemies and tank controls. Interestingly a glitch in the game would lead to the idea of Air Juggling, bread and butter for most CAG. A PC remaster just came out but originally PS2.

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
An old PS1 title, set in a wacky western world and quite primitive by comparrison Your character has returned to his American hometown after spending years abroad studying the ways of the sword. But since you're also a badass cowboy you also have your reliable Six-Shooter, which is good because things have gone downhill in your absence. Contains much of the style and flare that would go on to be associated with CAG.

Vampire Hunter D
Another old PS1 game. Also Resident Evil type thing with a sword. Very hard, very ugly. Once you get down to it there is some fun gameplay with elements that would become standard to the genre. But you might either want a guide next to you or just watch an LP.

I can't think of any more things predating DMC, but I do have a few other recommendations for you in system order:

Blood Will Tell
A little known PS2 game based on the Osamu Tezuka manga Dororo. You play Hyakkimaru, a youth supported by psychic powers and elaborate prosthetics. At birth 48 Demons claimed a part of your body, now you roam the land slaying them to reclaim your humanity. Gameplay is a little rough, but it has some unique things and a decent story. Gameplay changes up quite a bit as you recover your lost body parts. Has a tonne of collectibles, guide recommend.

GOD HAND
If you should play one game I reccomend it's this one. GOD HAND is insanity. GOD HAND is love. GOD HAND is the height of the PS2. For real though, this game is amazing and probably my favorite CAG. It plays a little differently than most so you might need to practice (mashing right stick to dodge constantly is critical) or look up some info. Big emphasis on fist fighting and speed, little to no air game. You do however get to set your own combos and abilties from a nearly overwhelming amount of choices though.

Breakdown
Heard you like character action games? Well how about an overly complicated first person one? Exclusive to the XBox and a weird weird beast. Starts off with an emphasis on guns but that quickly goes out the window. This is a janky rear end game but totally unique in what it does. I certainly enjoyed the experience but never finished it because holy balls that one fight right before the end.

Vanquish
Some would argue that this PS3/XBox 360/PC third person action game isn't a character action game. This is a lie, all they did was take out the swords. Imagine if Jet Set Radio and Call of Duty had a baby, who was orphaned and than raised by Mobile Suit Gundam and Devil May Cry. Bonus for live action cutscenes.

Nier/Nier Automata
For PS3/XBox 360 and PS4/PC/XBone. If you haven't at least heard of this I suspect you have been living under a rock.

Yakuza Franchise
Part GTA, part RPG, part Shenmue, part River City Ransom. Kind of more in line with a traditional beat-em-up but still excellent combat. Big focus on plot and side stories. Play as Kazuma Kiryu: The Dragon of Dojima/World's Best Dad.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 3, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
seconding the sentiment that if you only play one of those games, play GOD HAND

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GOD HAND is so good and it's hosed up that I gotta get out my PS3 or PS2 whenever I wanna play

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Good list but I think you forgot Bayonetta, although I confess I just skimmed it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zushio posted:

Vanquish
Some would argue that this PS3/XBox 360 third person action game isn't a character action game. This is a lie, all they did was take out the swords. Imagine if Jet Set Radio and Call of Duty had a baby, who was orphaned and than raised by Mobile Suit Gundam and Devil May Cry. Bonus for live action cutscenes.

Vanquish is rad as hell. The best description I've heard is that it plays the way a 3D Mega Man X game should have played. Dash everywhere, shoot at robots until they explode.

Also there is a button specifically to smoke a cigarette.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Boxman posted:

Vanquish is rad as hell. The best description I've heard is that it plays the way a 3D Mega Man X game should have played. Dash everywhere, shoot at robots until they explode.

Also there is a button specifically to smoke a cigarette.

That's a really good description. Also I forgot about the smoke button.

Oh a couple more suggestions came to mind.

Otogi
Another XBox exclusive. I don't have much experience with this but I remember enjoying it a fair bit when I tried a demo. It's a FROM Software game so you know, expect whatever that means.

God of War Franchise
Are we counting this? It's basically Babby's First Character Action Game. 1 and 2 were solid, I'm playing 3 now and finding it pretty bland and boring if solid actual combat. Obviously the new God of War is a different beast. Obviously Playstation 2/3/4 exclusive and several flavours of reissue and availability.

Shinobi
PS2 game, very hard and finicky. Once you master what you are doing it is amazingly fluid and fun to watch/play. I never made it very far but an LP I saw had some cool stuff toward the end.

Gungrave/Gungrave Overdose
PS2 era third person shooter/character action hybrid... things. Pretty hard and awkward but with some legitimately cool and stylish elements. As much as you have guns you might as well consider them melee weapons. I personally had a lot of fun, particularly with the second game.

These next few are a little fringe and maybe don't qualify? I don't think character action games need to be limited to 3D only though.

Viewtiful Joe
2D Action Platformers for the Gamecube and PS2, possibly re-releases along the way not sure. The brain child of Devil May Cry/Bayonetta creator. Think Mario plus Devil May Cry. They are pretty drat hard from what I recall but I haven't played in a long time. Not entirely sure why they star Fred Durst but it was the mid 2000s. (Note Fred Durst not actually in game)

Astro Boy Omega Factor
Possibly the best side scrolling beat-em-up of all time. Available for the GBA. Other than being a little cluttered due to massive sprites this is an amazingly solid little game, even more so if you are a huge Astro Boy or Osamu Tezuka fan. Expect to see pretty much every one from the Star System . Incorporates a lot of character action game traits in to the traditional beat-em-up formula along with some really cool plot threads. Great music and sound design. Made by Treasure, who while not known for character action games has an amazing catalogue of titles worth looking up on their own.

The Vanillaware Catalogue
What happens when your game studio is 85% designers and graphic artists? Well this is the answer and holy crap is it a good one. There are several games worth talking about, I don't know about the ones that were never translated. Be warned we are taking a sharp turn in to anime territory, both in terms of design and plotting so be warned. If you can tolerate it or that's your thing then you will be fine with any of these. If you can't stand it... well maybe give it a chance but you will probably hate everything but the actual gameplay. All of their games are absolutely gorgeous story driven side scrolling beat-em-ups, but incorporate a lot of the style that defines character action games like aerial combat, combos and style ranks. Most of their games also feature food in prominent and delicious looking roles. I'm pretty sure they actually started the current Japanese trend in games of fixating on food.

-GrimGrimoire: Vanillaware's first game, released exclusively on PS2. I never played it but I heard it's pretty fun if not as evolved as later titles. Suffers from some pretty intense slowdown from my understanding, probably due to the absolutely gorgeous 2D animation.

-Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: Originally released as Odin Sphere for PS2 and remade for the PS4/Vita this is the story of Ragnarok and the heroes that would fight against the darkness. When I said Astro Boy was the best beat-em-up of all time I was actually lying. Odin Sphere is an absolutely amazing game. Featuring 5 playable characters each with a distinct combat style across an interwoven storyline, RPG mechanics and smooth combat. The PS4 version is a complete overhaul of the original game, changing a tonne of different elements from tightening up controls and characters, redesigning area maps, streamlining currency and other innumerable improvements. Of particular note is being able to assign your different special moves to fighting game style inputs instead of having to hold down a direction and press a button. This adds a huge dimension to the gameplay and cuts down on triggering the wrong move accidentally, I highly recommend using this mode if you play. It also includes the original PS2 version a bonus if you want to see that differences firsthand. Playing the PS2 version has the same problems as GrimGrimoire such as a lack of refinement and huge slowdown. The PS4 version is a bit easier though on the initially available difficulties, though harder ones will unlock.

-Muramasa: The Demon Blade: Originally released for the Wii with an expanded version for the Vita released later. Vita version is recommended but the Wii version is serviceable. Set in feudal Japan, only 2 characters but a wide variety of swords to collect each with different properties and several different move sets. Pretty fun but lacking the depth and appeal of Odin Sphere.

-Dragon's Crown: Released very late in the PS3's lifespan as well as on Vita. A version was released for PS4 under the title of Dragon Crown Pro. As far as I am aware little to nothing is changed between versions, perhaps the PS4 one runs a little better and supports higher resolutions. So... ever play Golden Axe? Imagine that but with extremely tight combat with RPG style leveling and loot. The game isn't particularly long, but has a variety of side quests and is designed with replays in mind. I highly recommend this game for 2 reasons though. First is that there are six different characters to play as, all with quite different skill trees. While some overlap a little each has a variety of ways to build them and are fun and unique enough to warrant multiple playthoughs on their own. The real stand out feature of this game is multiplayer. If you have 3 friends then all 4 can all do couch co-op from the get go, and once you clear the first few levels online options become available as well. Story progress and some item availability is always tied to whoever is in first slot though. It doesn't have much impact outside of having to replay levels if you change who is Player 1, but functionally it means that on a new game with multiple players at certain points new gear set slots and some other items will become available as part of the plot and only Player 1 can get them. It doesn't break the game as none of that is really needed unless you are doing some very specific things. Otherwise this game is a total blast and a very nice throwback to the classic beat-em-ups of olden days.

Code of Princess
Another anime styled beat-em-up with character action traits and RPG leveling for 3DS/Switch/PC. Not sure what improvements were made for the Switch and PC version. This game really surprised me, it's got a lot of bouncing titties and a real anime plot, but for the $4 I paid I was actually extremely happy with the gameplay. A good number of stages, 4 playable characters (they share most stages unfortunately, only a few unique ones each) and really fun combat. Uses fighting game style inputs for moves and it all feels very satisfying. Graphics were good for a 3DS game, but the stages are kind of bland. Things might have been improved in the updates but I'm not sure. Again, this is the most anime of the anime style games I listed. I'm aware of how unnecessarily pervy this game and have no issues with anyone discounting or disliking it it for any of those reasons. It employ many of the tropes you are expecting and I am not defending anything other than the gameplay. Please don't rake me over the coals for this one. Legitimately this is the only game like that in my 500+ game catalogue.

Sorry for all the :words:, but I had fun typing it and I hope some of it benefits you. This is one of my favorite genres so I know a fair bit I think.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 3, 2019

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Zushio posted:

Astro Boy Omega Factor
Possibly the best side scrolling beat-em-up of all time. Available for the GBA. Other than being a little cluttered due to massive sprites this is an amazingly solid little game, even more so if you are a huge Astro Boy or Osamu Tezuka fan. Expect to see pretty much every one from the Star System . Incorporates a lot of character action game traits in to the traditional beat-em-up formula along with some really cool plot threads. Great music and sound design. Made by Treasure, who while not known for character action games has an amazing catalogue of titles worth looking up on their own.

Can vouch for this, I know nothing about Astro Boy and I still couldn't put this game down. It's really really really good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel like you could make a strong argument for the Scott Pilgrim movie game being the best side scrolling beat em up. God that game was a gem

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I think it's for sure an excellent game, I just felt it was a little grindy by nature and not much fun solo. I only didn't put it on the list because it really doesn't have much of a character action vibe to it, more a straight up old school beat-em-up. No qualms about recommending it though, one of the best couch co-op games in many years. I'm excluding stuff like Double Dragon Neon as well for similar reasons, even though they are fun games.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

I've played a handful of character action games over the years but never got in to them enough to get much past a run through on normal or so and feeling all cool when I saw the credit roll. Then after loving Metal Gear V (hey coincidence) I went on an LP binge, the ChipCheezum LP of MGR made me realize I actually played that game like trash and didn't use the fun built in mechanics much so I went back and beat it on Hard, that felt pretty gosu. Having eaten the apple of knowledge I played Bayonetta 1 on normal and thought about going back for more, then played Bayonetta 2 and got in to it enough to do the second highest difficulty and most of the bloody palace/witch trial things. Back to FPS games and stuff. Tried the DMC5 demo, shrug, Nero's arm and breaking it seemed dumb.

Then an awesome goon sold me a DMCV code for :20bux: and holy :aaaaa:

Couldn't put it down till I beat it up through DMD (and without spamming too many gold orbs!). Such a crazy good game, and it was so fun to sort of start to understand the different combat mechanics available. Additionally, the rest of the game felt really drat well put together. Which got me wondering about the rest of the genre. Had I just button mashed through easy difficulty on these games and missed what made them distinct for all these years? That's led me to binge a deep dive in to the genre. I'm playing a shitload of the games back to back to directly compare and contrast, see the DNA of what led up to DMCV, see what was awesome and terrible about other games, and have fun taking a more..informed? approach to playing through them.

I've been thinking lots of :words: as I play through them that would probably be dumb to poo poo the thread up with but I'm trying to keep brief notes of cool stuff and dumb stuff in the order I play them, and at the end I'll make some dumb tier list/what's better than what imo order. I'll clean up my notes a bit for my DMC playthroughs and post them. I can keep doing it for the other char action games as I go if it's on topic and anyone wants me to I guess? So far I've done DMC1-5, DmC, Bayo 1, MGR. Current to do list is Bayo 2, ZoE2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Transformers Devastation. I've done through the DMD equivalent of everything but DMC 1 and 2 so I might have to go back to 1 to check that box. Open to any suggestions of anything else that I should really check out and add on there.

hail gamer, and well met

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Zelder posted:

GOD HAND is so good and it's hosed up that I gotta get out my PS3 or PS2 whenever I wanna play

gotta say the ps2 emulation is really good these days.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zelder posted:

I feel like you could make a strong argument for the Scott Pilgrim movie game being the best side scrolling beat em up. God that game was a gem

Can you still buy that game? For some reason I remember hearing it was pulled from the market.

I platinum'd Bloodborne BTW.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, there are other ways of getting it though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

gotta say the ps2 emulation is really good these days.

Yep, pretty much any laptop bought in the past three years can handle PS2 emulation swell on even integrated graphics, especially something God Hand which was not exactly a graphics powerhouse even at the time.

Spergatory posted:

Can you still buy that game? For some reason I remember hearing it was pulled from the market.

It’s gone, and never got on consoles other than the PS3 and 360 anyways. Bryan Lee O’Malley, the comics’ author, continues to insist on social media to this day that he’s trying to find a way to make it accessible again, but the more console gens away from it we get the harder it’s gonna be.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 3, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Why though? Who pulled it, and for what reason?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's licensing hell. The comic creator, comic publisher, Ubisoft, the movie studio, and the soundtrack producer would all have to agree for a re-release.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Awesommeee, thank you much! This is part dorky history project sort of thing, so that's a lot of really cool stuff for me to check out and put at minimum a few on the list to run before I burn out. God Hand going on there for sure. Onimusha too, didn't realize there was a re-release! I've been forever haunted by a memory of loading that game up, getting to one of the first checkpoints, getting slam dunked into the ground a few times, and just walking away. Think I tried playing it right after mashing my way through Ninja Gaiden.

I played through Vanquish after Bayo 1 from that bundle sale, wanted to like it but for whatever reason just really didn't trip my trigger and I dropped it down to easy to just plow to the credit roll ::(:. I beat Nier:A a year or two ago, wanted to really like it cause I was playing shmups at the time too, but lost interest by the end of the first playthrough. Putting that lower on the list to try and return to and bump the difficulty and dive deeper. The rest I either haven't heard of or haven't played, so good stuff :hfive:.

Stuff like Scott Pilgrim is a good idea for me to round back to later on. Has me wondering if I do some back to backs what the difference really is in how hitting the buttons feels and how the games shake out for like, where are the lines drawn between Final Fight, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and DMC - where's the DNA come from ya know. But that's a whole tangent thing.

Hey can someone write a really good note to my family and boss explaining why I need to disappear for a couple months to do a youtube series?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Spergatory posted:

now you've been granted eyes on the inside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Does PS2 Rygar count for this... whatever this is.

Would the Megaman Zero games?