Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Remember during launch they used the Ragnarok Online job system? Choose archetype, then sub type at 20. Finally actual class at 30. I kind of dug it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

I said come in! posted:

I think the only reason why Everquest 2 even got any attention on Somethingawful at release was because Lowtax played for a month or so at launch. After he quit, I remember the goon interest in the game dropping off the face of the earth. I never played EQ2 at launch, waited until the game went free to play, but I remember reading about how it was pretty terrible.

I mean at launch the game had like no content and was pretty awful. It got significantly better after an expansion or two and was pretty fun for awhile.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

I said come in! posted:

I think the only reason why Everquest 2 even got any attention on Somethingawful at release was because Lowtax played for a month or so at launch. After he quit, I remember the goon interest in the game dropping off the face of the earth. I never played EQ2 at launch, waited until the game went free to play, but I remember reading about how it was pretty terrible.

I actually remember that. We ran around together in some of the starting areas as a guild for a couple of weeks. Even when Lowtax eventually disappeared a bunch of us still stuck around, but we dropped off eventually.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Vanilla had some lovely aspects and some I liked, like the enounter locking poo poo was pretty lame, but I think they axed that pretty early on. Even instancing felt lame at the time cause there didn't seem to be a big enough population on my server to warrant it. There'd be like 3 almost empty instances instead of just one drat coherent zone with groups. But I did actually enjoy those mandatory group boat encounters you had to do with other people and you'd all gain access to the new continent if you beat it. I remember getting to enchanted lands and going to runny eye and being like oh drat I'm elite as HELL son

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pathos posted:

You ordered via /pizza at the time? Like in 2002 or whatever? I always assumed no one ever actually used it.

Yes. Like the other person said, it just took me to my local Pizza Hut website. I think my roommate at the time even asked why don't I just call and my response was because I wanted to order it from a video game! ooooh ahhhhh

I said come in! posted:

After he quit, I remember the goon interest in the game dropping off the face of the earth. I never played EQ2 at launch, waited until the game went free to play, but I remember reading about how it was pretty terrible.

When EoF came out, <What> became one of the largest and most successful goon guilds at the time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I said come in! posted:

It got attention because every MMO at that time got attention and goon rushed. Lowtax didn’t have anything to do with it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

April Newsletter.

I'll put the funniest and most disappointing thing at the beginning:

quote:

On Thursday April 25th at 10 a.m. PDT, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will once again appear on stream with CohhCarnage. If you haven’t had a chance to check out a live stream yet, drop on by his channel at twitch.tv/CohhCarnage to join the fun.

This stream will not include any new content or features. As we are still deep in production of Project Faerthale, we are using a build that does not contain any new zones or other content. Instead we will go on an adventure through Halnir Cave from start to finish to capture a true organic grouping experience and the spirit of actual dungeon progression. We’ll fight our way down to acquire Gnashura’s key and work our way back up to hopefully defeat him. Failure is a definite possibility. Fun is a guarantee—see you then!

https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_april_under_wraps/

quote:

Working on the encounter for Project Faerthale has been a real revelation, not just to myself, but to the entire team. We are trying new things with Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and it’s coming together in ways that keep surprising and delighting.

We’ve always known what we want to do with Pantheon in terms of gameplay, stickiness, challenge, and social emphasis. I think we’re nailing those aspects well, but we also want to expand on the concept of what an MMORPG can be. Building one in 2019 is very different than in 1999 in terms of what is technologically possible, but even moreso in what gamers expect. We want to produce the unexpected. What happens when many species are torn away from their home realm and brought together in a place like Terminus? What would such a place look like? How would it feel? What are its denizens’ motivations? How do they interact with each other? These are just some of the themes we are uncovering in the game’s identity and starting to get a glimpse of with this milestone.

So yes, expect an emphasis on social gameplay. Expect tough battles and memorable experiences. Expect a rich world full of opportunities to explore and advance. But also expect surprises. Expect wonder. Expect to have to think differently about the people, environments, and the world you now occupy.

One of the areas being worked on has a dependency on climbing. You’ve seen an early concept in some streams in the past in our adventures through Amberfaet, and we are opening it wide open and exploring what that means in game. Like all of our systems, we aim to make it meaningful and enjoyable. Programming works side by side with Creative to have content fit into the world as a natural part of the overall experience. By the time Project Faerthale is ready to be shown, you will see a much more polished climbing system that adds a fun, thoughtful layer to the gameplay.

This is something we strive to keep consistent with every system we put in the game: to keep it fun and meaningful. If it doesn’t feel a natural part of the game or doesn’t fit in with the world of Terminus, then we will shelve it. That’s a tough call to make, particularly for some systems or content that seem exciting on paper but just don’t feel right when implemented. The purpose and place has to be clear. Once those details work out and the content snaps in, it’s a Eureka! moment. It’s a revelation. I think we have a few more of those moments coming in Project Faerthale.

Read about nerdy orc models here: https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_april_from_concept_to_model/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzjeZCdnoT8

Dev spotlight with nothing interesting in it: https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_april_dev_spotlight/

Spend your hard earned money on this game and get great rewards: https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_april_pledge_rewards/

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey Ehud, you're wrong and this game will be awesome. Mark my words.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I talked to my sources and this game will not be good

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I don't get it

Why don't you guys just play EQ? Modern EQ graphics look pretty good and graphics are the only thing differentiating Pantheon from EQ.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I don't get it

Why don't you guys just play EQ? Modern EQ graphics look pretty good and graphics are the only thing differentiating Pantheon from EQ.

Because the new game smell wore off a long time ago

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't get it

old eq graphics are better.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

I don't get it

As long as the game doesn’t exist you can imagine how great it will be. Doesnt work when the game exists

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't get it

That's not really true at all based on the information from their latest newsletters. They're apparently trying to do some ambitious things with the game now which is why I now don't think it'll ever be released.

also I do play EQ.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Did you guys watch Cohhs stream? thoughts?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bishop01 posted:

Did you guys watch Cohhs stream? thoughts?

Nope! The hypeman can fleece his followers as much as he likes for Brad, god knows he's been doing it for several years already for this project.

He does maintain a very healthy amount of followers on EQ's TLP servers, and they won't shut up about Pantheon every time you group with one of them. That whole lot is damaged and playing EQ just waiting for the next drip of Pantheon news to grace them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At this point I think it's safe to say that Pantheon is a scam and Brad is trying to pull a fast one like Chris Roberts is with Star Citizen. Under no circumstances should anyone give money to this game and if they have already they should attempt a refund or charge back for fraud.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Coming back to DAoC on a private server, combined with CoH private servers soon becoming a thing, any nostalgia I had for a modern EQ MMO is used up. You missed your chance Brad. The train has passed and you're left holding a bag of empty promises.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Coming back to DAoC on a private server, combined with CoH private servers soon becoming a thing, any nostalgia I had for a modern EQ MMO is used up. You missed your chance Brad. The train has passed and you're left holding a bag of empty promises.

Which pserver of DAOC is still hopping? Last I played was on Uthgard I wanna say before re-subbing to live for a month (actually is pretty drat active and true to form ) which now has a pure RvR / BG zone leveling progression baked into it. Pretty cool to roll a character and never have to leave the BGs aside from assigning skill points.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

onesixtwo posted:

Nope! The hypeman can fleece his followers as much as he likes for Brad, god knows he's been doing it for several years already for this project.

He does maintain a very healthy amount of followers on EQ's TLP servers, and they won't shut up about Pantheon every time you group with one of them. That whole lot is damaged and playing EQ just waiting for the next drip of Pantheon news to grace them.

Not all of us are damaged thanks, some of us think Pantheon is as big a pipe dream as the rest of you all do.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

here's the stream btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8Cq9nQV-E

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean, looks decent enough, I'd play it. Not sure what people are on about this being star citizen everquest, that poo poo is just off the chain obvious scam and horrible broken code.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

Which pserver of DAOC is still hopping? Last I played was on Uthgard I wanna say before re-subbing to live for a month (actually is pretty drat active and true to form ) which now has a pure RvR / BG zone leveling progression baked into it. Pretty cool to roll a character and never have to leave the BGs aside from assigning skill points.

https://playphoenix.online

It's tapered a little, but EU primetime is still 2k. Some great QOL changes, most importantly the teleporters which means half your session isn't on a horse.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
modern eq has all these lovely features that make it easy. the appeal of old eq is that it is a grindfest hell zone (seriously)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't mind grindy MMORPGs where leveling takes a long time like it use to in classic Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. I just want to do it with other players. I want a modern day MMORGP with Quality of Life features such as queuing up for groups and being teleported to a level appropriate location to grind and kill mobs. Rift actually does this but no one plays that game and it's massively pay to win now.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

This just looks like a lovely version of EQ2 now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

suuma posted:

This just looks like a lovely version of EQ2 now

i knew it was gonna be bad from the title and nothing revealed thus far has proved me wrong.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Turns out building a mmo for 6+ years with a small team of mostly inexperienced devs, failing to crowd fund, taking volunteer based work for a period of time (is this still happening?), and being spearheaded by Brad isn’t a recipe for making a good game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm so hosed up on MMOs that a modern version of 2007 era EQ2 with some extra bells and whistles is something I'd happily pay full price for and play for thousands of hours. if its even close to being as good as Vanguard at launch, unfinished as it was, I will be like a pig in poo poo

which is fine because it's never gonna come out and even the subreddit full of insane fans is starting to realize that

quote:

I love this game, I'm a backer with an alpha access pledge, and it will be really nice if I get to play this game, but at this point its your safest bet to just assume it will never actually release. Support the devs if you want but don't do anything assuming you'll ever actually get to play. They've overshot initial estimates by years at this point. The devs have never promised anything release date wise but when i pledged in march of 2016 i think we were looking around a rough mid-end of 2017 alpha date, in 2018 we heard it "should" be in alpha in 2018(not a promise, but just a quote), and now we're looking at a best case scenario of an end of 2019 alpha date, but possibly(probably) sometime in 2020.

Continue to watch the streams, read the dev letters, etc, because what they're trying to do is really amazing. Just be skeptical and be prepared for the possible situation in which your investment never produces something you can actually play.

I really want to make it clear im not disappointed or angry or anything, i know this is how game development goes. I hope the devs keep trucking along and working towards finishing the game. I don't have any regrets for supporting this game. If I ever get to play even 10 minutes of it, I'll be happy, but if i don't, it was worth the investment risk for them to try.

This is how you should look at funding ANYTHING in early access, games or otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/bjwah0/pantheon_betalaunch/?st=jv71dg7c&sh=7222d722

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I can't believe you guys are giving this up after they tightened up the graphics on the orcs.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kak posted:

I can't believe you guys are giving this up after they tightened up the graphics on the orcs.

they don't deserve the vision

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Looks like boiled turds.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

here is an important hype video made by community members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv34yHx58c

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

:yikes:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

They aren't serious right? This is some sort of Tim and Eric humor video? :stare:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i wasn't hyped about the game before but how can i not be now

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ehud posted:

It's nice they collected everyone who will play this video game all in one video.

Looking forward to the "We Are Broke" follow up video.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Wow

"I am a monk"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ehud posted:

:lol: all those boomer gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never mind, I don't want this game to come out anymore.