Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FMguru posted:

in my experience (as an interviewer and an interviewee) 90% of the people doing the interview just found out they were doing it 15 minutes beforehand (when their outlook calendar pinged a reminder at them), and the first time they've looked at your resume was when they picked it up from the laser printer while walking towards the interview room

yeah that's me for sure. except it's from someone "hey <whoever> is going to be here in 10 minutes I need you to sit in on this, here's the resume" and it's go-time.

with a little luck i can see they don't have anything good on the resume before they get there and say "yeah this person isn't worth my time" and skip out on it completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

in my experience (as an interviewer and an interviewee) 90% of the people doing the interview just found out they were doing it 15 minutes beforehand (when their outlook calendar pinged a reminder at them), and the first time they've looked at your resume was when they picked it up from the laser printer while walking towards the interview room

you mean “when the interviewee hands over a copy from their padfolio because the interviewer used the wrong printer and is running late”

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

you mean “when the interviewee hands over a copy from their padfolio because the interviewer used the wrong printer and is running late”
yeah that too

you could replace the bottom half of most resumes with lorem ipsum text and it would probably have no effect on the interviewing or hiring process

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have probably done more interviews without the candidate's resume than with

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

the plainest, blandest formatting possible. the goals are, in order: machine readability as a pdf, machine readability as a docx, and human skimmability. page count doesn't matter, font doesn't matter, objective statements don't matter

Rip anyone who is optimizing their resume for the poo poo rear end jobs that keyword machine read them

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i only bother with resumes from people named "Jared" who played lacrosse

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had an on-site with a startup the other day and tripped over my big ol’ dick pretty hard on a relatively simple problem, finding all substrings of a string

I described the algo at a high level just fine but spent nearly the whole hour with them hand holding me over finding my bugs and off by one gently caress ups, finding more and more as I debugged. I’ve been whiteboarding for weeks doing this same kinda problems and I do just fine on my own, the solution matches the ctci solutions, etc.

the more practical coding exercises I did at the onsite were EZ .

But I need to get my poo poo together because I have a phone+coderpad with a unicorn style company and then an on-site with a big4 in the next couple weeks... gently caress me

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bloody posted:

the plainest, blandest formatting possible. the goals are, in order: machine readability as a pdf, machine readability as a docx, and human skimmability. page count doesn't matter, font doesn't matter, objective statements don't matter

i just had an idea for my next resume. 2 pages. first page is just my normal resume. at the top is a tiny header that says ‘human resume’. second page is small text that’s an entire block of keywords titled ‘robot resume’

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

i just had an idea for my next resume. 2 pages. first page is just my normal resume. at the top is a tiny header that says ‘human resume’. second page is small text that’s an entire block of keywords titled ‘robot resume’

lol nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Rip anyone who is optimizing their resume for the poo poo rear end jobs that keyword machine read them

if you're worried that much about resume formatting odds are you're already dealing with keyword machines

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one technique ive seen suggested is to put a wall of buzzwords (in a flyspeck one-point font, and having the same text color as the background) at the bottom of your resume

invisible to the human eye, but readable by hr machines looking for keywords

e: vvv i didnt say it was an original idea...

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 2, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

one technique ive seen suggested is to put a wall of buzzwords (in a flyspeck one-point font, and having the same text color as the background) at the bottom of your resume

invisible to the human eye, but readable by hr machines looking for keywords

“I see here you’re an expert in search engine optimization”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

drop the human part

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there is a section of my resume that says "skills, technologies and buzzwords" or something and that’s where i put all that poo poo. then my actual work experience focuses more on the big picture of what i accomplished and is less about mentioning every tool ive used. this probably gets my resume binned some places but whatever

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it's good to get your resume binned places

there are a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of bad jobs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I once had an interview where the guy sat there reading my resume then got up and walked out of the room. 15 minutes later the HR Girl came in and walked me out.

It was the most honest feedback I’ve ever gotten in a hiring process, ever.

:(

E: Including processes where I ended up getting the job!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
today i had a person tell me that giving the recruiter feedback on what resumes are and aren’t good so that they can do a better job of screening future resumes was like training a ML agent

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Plorkyeran posted:

today i had a person tell me that giving the recruiter feedback on what resumes are and aren’t good so that they can do a better job of screening future resumes was like training a ML agent

Ok, this is true. But it also might lead to the extirpation of recruiters as a class, so it’s impossible to say if it’s a bad thing or not?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Schadenboner posted:

I once had an interview where the guy sat there reading my resume then got up and walked out of the room. 15 minutes later the HR Girl came in and walked me out.

goddamn dude. I hope it was at least a job post says we need X, engineer who actually knows what the job is says it needs Y situation

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

faang was supposed to email me today about onsite results but didn’t. sent a follow up and she wants to talk on the phone tomorrow. should i just assume I failed? ack.

oh well.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Acer Pilot posted:

faang was supposed to email me today about onsite results but didn’t. sent a follow up and she wants to talk on the phone tomorrow. should i just assume I failed? ack.

oh well.

Did they give any indication at all that it went well? If not then yeah it might not be good. Then again usually they tell you straight up if you failed and ask if you'd like to talk about it, so you still might be okay. Or they might want to delay (maybe because they are in negotiation with someone else and it might not work out). Who knows. Just sit tight and see what happens.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

qhat posted:

Did they give any indication at all that it went well? If not then yeah it might not be good. Then again usually they tell you straight up if you failed and ask if you'd like to talk about it, so you still might be okay. Or they might want to delay (maybe because they are in negotiation with someone else and it might not work out). Who knows. Just sit tight and see what happens.

basically said she’d probably have an update in the morning and offered 2 times to talk. seems like a very neutral sounding email except she thanked me for my nice emails and meeting with the team. the latter sounded conciliatory so I’ll let my pessimism assume that they’re going to reject me nicely.

anyway, thank you all for your advice and coming along for the ride. I still have that nice offer from my backup in any case and I still have a job so not the end of the world. just need to get better at interviewing I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Acer Pilot posted:

basically said she’d probably have an update in the morning and offered 2 times to talk. seems like a very neutral sounding email except she thanked me for my nice emails and meeting with the team. the latter sounded conciliatory so I’ll let my pessimism assume that they’re going to reject me nicely.

anyway, thank you all for your advice and coming along for the ride. I still have that nice offer from my backup in any case and I still have a job so not the end of the world. just need to get better at interviewing I guess.

Offered two times to talk when exactly? What you've said honestly doesn't sound bad, saying she will have an update in the morning implies she can't give you an answer right now because the jury is still out. Don't get too pessimistic right now, they might not have even had their interview feedback meeting with her yet.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

qhat posted:

Offered two times to talk when exactly? What you've said honestly doesn't sound bad, saying she will have an update in the morning implies she can't give you an answer right now because the jury is still out. Don't get too pessimistic right now, they might not have even had their interview feedback meeting with her yet.

true, hoping for the best. I meant she offered me two different time slots for when she wants to call me.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Acer Pilot posted:

true, hoping for the best. I meant she offered me two different time slots for when she wants to call me.

just sounds to me like they're busy

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

today i interviewed a college hire with a section on their resume titled "skills and interests" followed by an unorganized list of words

are you skilled in machine learning or is it just an interest? nobody knows but it obviously worked on the recruiter

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Acer Pilot posted:

oh well.

this honestly sounds like she just forgot to send a “let’s schedule a call” email. some places have a policy of only giving yes/no over the phone, which requires an almost pathological neutrality in written correspondence.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

supabump posted:

today i interviewed a college hire with a section on their resume titled "skills and interests" followed by an unorganized list of words

are you skilled in machine learning or is it just an interest? nobody knows but it obviously worked on the recruiter

Sounds like he/she will go quite far.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

was your resume a copy of your post history

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

supabump posted:

Nice. Gonna add "Experience and Aspirations" to mine. Lots of callbacks headed my way next round

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

This is a pro as hell move and I think I'm going to use it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

This is a pro as hell move and I think I'm going to use it.

I figured they were trying to do the thing from Liar’s Poker where the interviewee has to take control of the meeting by starting the conversation with the interviewer (which I would very much consider doing if I were interviewing someone) but this guy didn’t respond to verbal prompts.

It was weird, I dunno.

:shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I figured they were trying to do the thing from Liar’s Poker where the interviewee has to take control of the meeting by starting the conversation with the interviewer (which I would very much consider doing if I were interviewing someone) but this guy didn’t respond to verbal prompts.

It was weird, I dunno.

its probably something stupider, like that guy was a mechanical engineer and HR mixed up job requisitions

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that's what i thought as well

i mean, still awkward as all hell but in seemingly no way your fault, and makes a hell of a story :v:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Schadenboner posted:

It was weird, I dunno.

Sounds like some weird puzzle game, like if you had gotten up and written some specific math equation on the board he would have stopped talking. Did you find any weird notes or clues in the lobby?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

daily reminder that while it is cheap to live in the midwest, salaries are depressed to the extent that the lowball number a FAANG will give you as an anchor point can triple your salary

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

daily reminder that while it is cheap to live in the midwest, salaries are depressed to the extent that the lowball number a FAANG will give you as an anchor point can triple your salary

did you get an offer from Amazon?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no, not to that point yet

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

faang called me 17 mins late to say they have no decision yet. hiring manager wanted to screen more candidates...

ugh. at this point I think I'll have to accept that other job and just leave if the faang makes me an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Wanting to screen more candidates is not good news at all. Have you told them you have a pending offer? If so, yeah, most likely going to be a no IMO.