Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. This Ron vote seems like a key example of how much jury credit she gets. Everyone will probably agree with her that she was part of the plan but she essentially looks like the person who did and risked the least amount. Maybe Victoria purposely set herself up to be safe in case Ron stuck around but that leaves a hole when it comes to Jury cred while Lauren, Gavin, Devens, and even arguably Aurora can boast some key role in Ron's outing.

I think that's kind of my read on Victoria's game. She's played smart but very safe. If you can win that way, great. But its tough to get a lot of cred and I think its arguably just a more self aware version of Gavin's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
^^^I mean, it was a split vote. I don't think her technically not voting for Ron gets rid of the sheen of a nice play that she instigated. The fact that she was able to be a part of it in a way that hedged her bets was even more impressive.

Anyway, Lauren's in the conversation, but she has gotten the invisi-edit as well. She also has an uphill battle in proving why people shouldn't just think of her as Wentworth/Wardog's shadow. She has some time, though.

As for Aurora, I just can't shake the feeling that her social ineptitude is going to be her undoing, and I think a lot of her perceived threat is just the result of her being the de facto black sheep rather than a truly formidable opponent.

A lot of my stanning for Victoria has to do with her rest-of-game potential. Like I think her ceiling in terms of both trajectory and her being able to articulate her narrative in a coherent, compelling fashion in front of a jury is higher than it is with the other two.

But really it's not only about potential either. She played a lead role in the Aubry and Ron votes, and an important supporting role in the Wentworth vote. To call her a more self-aware Gavin is just flat out wrong. Dude doesn't have a single bone in his body with agency. If he had gotten his way, he'd be the lapdog of the Lessu 3 right now.

Hopefully Rick wins and it's all a moot point!

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not taking away Victoria's part of the Ron vote but she has to be able to illustrate her part to the Jury in a way that overshadows Lauren, Aurora, Rick, or even Gavin's part in it. And maybe she very cleverly put herself into the safest spot where there'd be no blowback if it failed (again, I think that's my best interpretation of her game) but that puts her in a bad place to look good to the Jury, IMO.

Maybe Victoria comes out with a very persuasive Jury speech. Maybe she's been strategizing like crazy all season and the whole Jury knows it and we don't. Maybe she's sitting there next to Julie and Aurora and the Jury hate those two. I don't know so I'm not discounting that she can win. I just don't personally see her as having any kind of edge over the other not Devens'.

I do agree that Aurora's social game is probably her undoing. Its rare that we see the Jury say "We hate you but we hated you all game and somehow you managed to survive that". And as much as "immunity threat" comes up SO MUCH during the game it almost never comes up at the end unless you really did win your way there. I think I could make the case for her, but I'm not confident I could sell that case to this jury.

If I have to pick a non Devens favorite its probably Lauren. I think she ended up being out front on this Ron vote. She was out front on the Wardog vote and there's a mini narrative there of him betraying her and her getting revenge. She's had to fight from way down in the game and if she's the last Lesu standing after Devens that could be a narrative. Wentworth might champion for her. Its not a knock over by any means but she has the most small pts from my perspective.

I feel like Julie's path to victory was "everyone likes her" and it would seem like Devens hurt that bad this week by exposing the kind of ugly fake idol play. And she doesn't seem capable of talking her way out of that.

And Gavin... I mean, maybe he wins because people give men more credit than women? And they seem to really, really like him based on that loved one's visit?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Victoria’s got potential at the very worst. I don’t think she’s a lock to return but I could see her doing well if she does. Problem is that I’m not sure how else she could refine her game for a second go; you could say play a little flashier but this season is already punishing flashy players.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, I don't even feel like Victoria played badly or should have played more aggressively or anything. She obviously made an early move against Aubry. She was in on that questionable early Kama betrayal and cross tribe alliance and then it all flew out of her control through others' actions. She's had a few comical mistakes but those were more Funny 115 moments than real game turns. Sometimes the game just develops out of your control and there's not much you can do to coral it, you just gotta survive.

So yeah, I'm not saying she's bad or anything. Maybe a little too passive. Maybe a little too focused on protecting herself. But there's no big mistake I can point to like I can with the most of them.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
There's an alternate universe where Victoria doesn't come up with that plan, Rick idols Aurora out of the game and then teams up with Ron, Julie, and the next Edge returnee to pick off Victoria, Lauren and Gavin.

I mean *we* know Rick got burned by Ron and would be hesitant to go back to him, but from Victoria's perspective gee Ron and Julie sure have been getting weirdly close to Rick the past few days and are leading the charge on getting him to vote Auroria.

I think this episode makes more sense when you remember the context from last episode. Wardog/Ron/Rick's "take out the goats" plan basically rallied Lauren/Victoria/Gavin/Aurora together as a goat alliance to stop them. Rick is the next biggest threat given his Edge connections, but if they can't get Rick out Ron is the next highest priority (and it's also equally important to save Aurora to protect their numbers).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

At that point Lauren would have to play her idol anyway so it wouldn't really matter
I thought the last time you can play it is at 5. So if we’re at 6 and Devens goes, down to 5, Edge player returns, back to 6. She could elect to hold it that vote and save it for the next, but her secret could get exposed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not taking away Victoria's part of the Ron vote but she has to be able to illustrate her part to the Jury in a way that overshadows Lauren, Aurora, Rick, or even Gavin's part in it. And maybe she very cleverly put herself into the safest spot where there'd be no blowback if it failed (again, I think that's my best interpretation of her game) but that puts her in a bad place to look good to the Jury, IMO.
I think you guys are thinking about this move wrong. There was no outcome that could be deemed a “failure” with this plan, and that’s in part because they did pull in Gavin, a wrinkle which I’ve seen a lot of people questioning. Doing that gave them 4 players out of 7, a majority. That’s still not enough to split the vote, but by using Ron and Julie’s votes, they engineered a vote split that kept all 4 of them safe in the event of an idol.

When you talk about the plan failing, you might be thinking of Rick not playing an idol, going home, and their plotting against Ron being exposed, but I think that’s what they actually thought more likely, hence Lauren’s “line in the sand” comment. Either way, it didn’t matter, because their group has a majority of 4 going into the F6, and they can even split the vote 2-2-2 if they desire. Moreover, forming a F4 will get them all to the fire stage, so there’s really no need for funny business: they have their four and it can easily be the final four, barring hijinx like the wrong people being immune or greedy goat herding.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 3, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I have a hard time at this stage believing that a "Final Four" deal is worth anything with this crew. I'm not sure there's a person up there who hasn't backstabbed someone a week after making a deal with them except maybe Devens. And I think he backstabbed some people early on. Devens will probably stay the target next week but if he wins immunity or someone gets antsy I can easily see that foursome falling apart and targeting each other again before Julie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess I have a hard time at this stage believing that a "Final Four" deal is worth anything with this crew. I'm not sure there's a person up there who hasn't backstabbed someone a week after making a deal with them except maybe Devens. And I think he backstabbed some people early on. Devens will probably stay the target next week but if he wins immunity or someone gets antsy I can easily see that foursome falling apart and targeting each other again before Julie.

Backstabbing's a real vague word there. You could say that Lauren backstabbed Julie, I guess? Otherwise I'm not sure that Victoria/Aurora have really backstabbed anyone other than Eric since they were never close to anyone in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I mean, just this Ron thing was a betrayal to him and Julie. It just doesn't resonate as some big betrayal or alliance breakup or anything because this season has seen people turning on one other every vote. So few people have worked together long enough like Wardog/Wentworth/Lauren or Ron/Julie for them to actually FEEL like backstabbings to us. But the whole season has been people making deals and then breaking them immediately.

Victoria did Aubry and Eric, plus the other Kamas she betrayed when she cut that deal with the Lesu Trio. Then she/they apparently was going to backstab the Lesu Trio before Julia and Julie blew everything up. So she definitely hasn't played "clean." But she doesn't appear to have actually shown enough loyalty to anyone for any of her betrayals to leave a deep mark. At least from what we've seen on TV. So yeah, there's no deep mark that stains her game. But there's also nothing resembling real loyalty to make her word mean anything.

Yeah, Aurora's probably the cleanest by nature of the fact that she was been so consistently an outsider and fighting to just be on the right side of the numbers. SHe's probably told some lies and made some false promises like with Ron and Julie but they've probably come after a pile of them lying to her and betraying her so...

And Devens of course, for much the same reason. He backstabbed some people early on in the game but ever since the Lesu tribe swap and then his return he's kind of just been too outside everything to be deceitful and backstabby. And he's kind of played everything out loud and frankly like when he told Wardog to go to hell instead of just lying to him and backstabbing him.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've been watching a lot of Saturday Night Live clips on YouTube lately, and I feel it's appropriate to post this one right about now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJstvZKlso

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
From a tv watching perspective Victoria seems to be playing a good under the radar game. I font feel like the jury is interested in rewarding that type of game.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ron just reminded me of Shaun from The Good Place the whole season with his smirks.

The Family Visit admittedly made me feel emotions. If Devens or a returning player doesn't win... we have a pretty shallow pool left.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Joe is gonna get back in the game and win it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Think they should pull more people for extinction it’s basically non existent for most of this season. Like why bother coming up with these gimmicks if you barely use them.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I've been watching a lot of Saturday Night Live clips on YouTube lately, and I feel it's appropriate to post this one right about now:

lol worth the click

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kellyn said something on RHAP that I hadn't thought of, although it's pretty common sense for everyone involved: The entire jury is on Extinction, and they know one of them will be returning, so it would be in all of their interest to just make a pact to vote for whoever gets back into the game if they make it to the end. they definitely should make a pact like that even though it just makes the twist dumber and evne more likely to result in a stupid winner.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

Kellyn said something on RHAP that I hadn't thought of, although it's pretty common sense for everyone involved: The entire jury is on Extinction, and they know one of them will be returning, so it would be in all of their interest to just make a pact to vote for whoever gets back into the game if they make it to the end. they definitely should make a pact like that even though it just makes the twist dumber and evne more likely to result in a stupid winner.

Dude, Reem's not going to sign off on any pact favouring Wentworth or The Wardog.

Another point made on that 'cast is that the jury is crediting Devens for ousting Ron when it was actually Victoria's plan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Mighty Moltres posted:

This was more entertaining than all of the family visits combined. That they still do that and not auction or fear factor gross out eateries is a big disappointment in my book. Also I liked the sketch because there have been a few times when it was pretty lol when somebody's "loved one" shows up and it's like a b or c tier family member or friend. Wasn't there one season where the survivor's family just kind of hated them and nobody wanted to do the visit?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry to doublepost, meant to edit.

Fast Luck posted:

Kellyn said something on RHAP that I hadn't thought of, although it's pretty common sense for everyone involved: The entire jury is on Extinction, and they know one of them will be returning, so it would be in all of their interest to just make a pact to vote for whoever gets back into the game if they make it to the end. they definitely should make a pact like that even though it just makes the twist dumber and even more likely to result in a stupid winner.

I think the final jury questions are a lot of people's last chance to shine or say anything on TV. I would sign on to such a pact, but I cannot imagine everyone else agreeing to that.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i already said this before but it continues to be true. EoE was fully worth it for allowing Devens to come back. not sure if it's a mechanic i'd want to see more, but this season wouldn't be half as entertaining without him. i can't possibly see him winning but if he pulls out a miracle to make it to the finals i don't see him not winning.

earlier i thought julie might win, but i think victoria has overtaken her in my rankings after that. lauren too, probably. i think gavin is the only one who has zero chance to win.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The thing about Devens is that he has nothing to lose at this point. He's playing with house money; dude already got voted out, and he's only back in by grace of a twist. The worst thing that can happen to a Survivor has already happened to him and he is no longer afraid of it. It's hard to quantify how freeing that is, both from a personal and a game standpoint. It's weird that others who have been voted out and came back didn't have that same spark. The closest analog to Devens I can think of at the moment is Burton from Pearl Islands, who left the game an honorable boy scout, and returned wanting nothing more than to be best friends with the Survivor Devil and burn the game to the ground for the sake of pure petty revenge.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If he gets voted out does he get to go back to extinction island?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

If he gets voted out does he get to go back to extinction island?

Yes, and the maximum hilarity option for the season would be for him to get voted out next week and then immediately win the challenge to re-enter the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mostly because I know STAC Goat didn't need another reason, but:

Yeah, I knew I was glad to be rid of him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I skimmed his twitter and it has him talking about himself in the third person so much that I have to double check that he's not retweeting someone else talking about him.

What a douche.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Alright, Dan doesn't get to be The Wardog anymore. Nicknames are for fun, harmless characters like Coach, not actual douchebag assholes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

The best part is that if he had changed the phrase, it would be a decent joke and not misogynistic.

For example, I feel saying "Well, I'm clearly the beauty" would have been a decent self depreciating joke without insulting her.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/TheRealChrissyH/status/1124669137442283521

Welp, gently caress Wardog. By the way, it also turns out he doesn't like David because he was upset that when that scene came out of him and Kelley mocking Wendy, Wendy blocked him on Twitter. He was upset that David wouldn't defend him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/bf10hm/speculation_on_wardog_and_kelleys_beef_with_david/ela4gsr

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 5, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wardog seems to have serious problems with women. He blocked Hannah and Gabby on twitter too for awhile, and maybe had Chrissy blocked before he came back and said that too? I can’t keep all his feuds straight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A man who calls himself Wardog turns out to be an openly lovely person. I wonder if he was always this much of a doucher and nobody ever noticed bc he wasn't notable in any way or if having an audience just gives him the opportunity to blossom shittily

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 5, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

A man who calls himself Wardog turns out to be an openly lovely person.

I for one am flabbergasted (in no way at all)

Has he tried to force the narrative that he threw all the challenges yet? He will.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think I've seen this season yet or I forgot it, but saw this aucvtion scene in a random compilation YT autoplayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNqn7sUNeM

Am I right in assuming that Mikes's move here was just stupid and bit him in the rear end? Seems like he should've stuck with his original sneaky thing to get advantage for himself. Capitulating and buying the letter after he already pissed everyone off seems like it;'s even worse. He gets the negativity from attempting the move, he loses his advantage guarantee, and then he double gets negativity for being a chickenshit who doesn't have the eggs to stick with a move he started.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 5, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Assuming you meant Mike.

And it's generally agreed that this was Mike's biggest mistake of the game and basically meant he had no option but to play for himself from here on out. It's debatable whether or not he should have stuck with the buy, but that might have made him too much of a social pariah and hurt his jury chances.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

Has he tried to force the narrative that he threw all the challenges yet? He will.

He had a deleted confessional where he openly admitted he sucked at athletic stuff but thought he'd surprise people in the mental challenges.

*wardogpuzzle.jpg*

anyway I am sad that Wardog is actually bad, he was entertaining

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah meant Mike. Seems like he kind of knew he was doing a bad even as he made the choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It certainly bit him in the rear end and he will never recover from that error.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was certainly no fan of Chrissy's when she was on the air, but she gave a very nice TED talk about her Survivor experience and I somehow sat through the whole thing so while I don't really need to see her back in Fiji, she earned my respect as a smart lady (good at numbers!! :v: ) with human-type feelings and gently caress Wardog Dan.

Funny thing is, he comes off as the opposite of a keyboard warrior until you see poo poo like that. I'm really sorry it got to her; it's the sort of petty insult that makes me feel bad for him and his piss poor attitude. I wonder who hurt him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This dog’s got bark and bite.