Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Memento posted:

Endgame:

it's supposed to be fuckin' Bucky as the new Captain America! Not loving Wilson! How do you gently caress this up so bad? Bucky was his childhood friend! gently caress's sake I am irrationally irritated at this!

Bucky is pretty boring and even though he's supposed to be his oldest friend they don't have an ounce of the chemistry that Cap and Sam have. It just feels like a much better choice.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 12:21 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

oldpainless posted:

Thanos is the 2nd best film villain of all time, trailing only Morris Day from Purple Rain.

The third best villain is Morris Day from Grafitti Bridge.

From a long way back, but you are objectively wrong. And as someone on the internet I must pedantically and humorlessly correct you.

All villains you name are fine and dandy, but the best villain in movie history is now, and always will be Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It reminds me of one those high concept post-lost shows, like Flash Forward, where something absurdly life altering happens to everyone.

I think it got brought up that there's a show Leftovers which is almost exactly this, though with a much smaller percentage of the population disappearing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Endgame:

it's supposed to be fuckin' Bucky as the new Captain America! Not loving Wilson! How do you gently caress this up so bad? Bucky was his childhood friend! gently caress's sake I am irrationally irritated at this!

One of the two is an infamous assassin.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bucky is pretty boring and even though they're supposed to be his oldest friend they don't have an ounce of the chemistry that Cap and Sam have. It just feels like a much better choice.

He was also more at peace no longer being a brainwashed soldier with somebody pulling the strings. He’s also less interesting when fighting aliens just using a rifle and a knife. Sam has flight and whatever weaponry he can stuff into his gear.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best bit of IW is Bucky recreating the moment of Rocket being carried by Groot while shooting wildly. Dude sees a talking racoon and doesny even flinch

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The best bit of IW is Bucky recreating the moment of Rocket being carried by Groot while shooting wildly. Dude sees a talking racoon and doesny even flinch

I see that and raise you I am Groot/I am Steve Rogers.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Endgame: Who the gently caress was paying Hawkeye's wife's cellphone plan for 5 years?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Presumably Hawkeye. Or she used the house phone and he has it in his phone as her..

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I lolled when Thor was like.....”no you take the little one” to cap.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Harton posted:

I lolled when Thor was like.....”no you take the little one” to cap.

End Game
Cap picks up the hammer, Thor: I KNEW IT!!!

Another great callback.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

End Game
Cap picks up the hammer, Thor: I KNEW IT!!!

Another great callback.

Yeah that was also fantastic. I was entertained by the comic book movies!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is Endgame the only movie out right now? Because holy poo poo.

Every thread is nothing but black bars.

I feel like I SHOULD feel that I'm missing out on something.

Contribution:

In every boxing or fighting movie, the fighter with the shittiest low budget gym and prehistoric training methods always wins. This is not only just true for Rocky and Creed movies.

Also, thanks to the thread for turning me on to the "We Hate Movies" podcast because those dudes are great and have been getting me through some tough work shifts lately. Irritating that some of the ones I really want to listen to (JAWS: The Revenge and Jurassic World) are behind a paywall but of all the "Make fun of films on the internet" guys out there, they're by far the funniest. Even when they bust on good movies they're hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Endgame made 1.2 billion dollars over the first weekend. Yeah it's basically the only movie out because everyone else won't release anything the same week.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why is everyone talking about the movie that's been built up to for 10 years and 22 other movies

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Irrationally Irritating content about End Game, Nebula and Gamora didn't kill Thanos.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

Irrationally Irritating content about End Game, Nebula and Gamora didn't kill Thanos.

That's a good one, but as this poster in the Subtle Movie Moments thread points out...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Endgame

Tony Stark's character arc for 10 years essentially has been "there's a problem, Tony tries to find a simple solution, and it develops into something that makes things exponentially worse." He's tried to solve everyone's problems with a snap of his fingers all this time, and finally he gets to do it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm irritated that the infinity stones are apparently only used by literally snapping one's fingers, to the extent that physically holding Thanos's fingers apart briefly prevents him from using them, rather than "with a snap of my fingers" being, like, a metaphor for "it would be easy".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Triarii posted:

I'm irritated that the infinity stones are apparently only used by literally snapping one's fingers, to the extent that physically holding Thanos's fingers apart briefly prevents him from using them, rather than "with a snap of my fingers" being, like, a metaphor for "it would be easy".

I didn't really get the impression that anyone aside from Thanos knew how to use them so everyone copying how the guy who knows what he's doing does seems like pretty standard stuff to me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Triarii posted:

They also mention to make sure he doesn't close his fist in Infinity war so he can't use stone powers. But purple boi is so swole I don't think it really mattered, and it was hard to tell when he was just toying with them or going all out. Like their first attempt to get the gauntlet off him by putting him to sleep could've been the equivalent of a dad play fighting with a bunch of toddlers.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

They also mention to make sure he doesn't close his fist in Infinity war so he can't use stone powers. But purple boi is so swole I don't think it really mattered, and it was hard to tell when he was just toying with them or going all out. Like their first attempt to get the gauntlet off him by putting him to sleep could've been the equivalent of a dad play fighting with a bunch of toddlers.

I mean specifically using them all together, for their Final Ultimate Power.

I would figure that gaining mastery over time, space, reality, etc would make you regular old omnipotent, or at least generally pretty powerful, but instead it seems to grant this very specific power of "snap your fingers to delete or un-delete arbitrarily large groups of organisms across the universe". I guess you could say that since Thanos always had that particular goal in mind and wasn't interested in power in general, he had the gauntlet made to only do that specific thing with the stones and Tony just copied the design when he made his version.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

Contribution:

In every boxing or fighting movie, the fighter with the shittiest low budget gym and prehistoric training methods always wins. This is not only just true for Rocky and Creed movies.

Hell, I've read several different books that have had tough female protagonists, and at some point we learn that they went to learn to fight at the state of the art gyms, but are always rejected by the fighters because they were women, so they then seek out run down, basic, hole in the wall gyms, and while the fighters there are dubious of them at first, when the women show how tenacious they are, they're treated like "one of the guys".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The montage in Rocky Vs The Soviet Union where they intercut plucky millionaire Rocky Balboa training with primitive tools in the mountains with Drago training in an ultra high tech Soviet laboratory is pure cinema.

And also seemingly a visual argument for the Soviets being superior to America.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanos snapped his fingers because he's dramatic as hell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it kind of makes sense. Fighters get rich and content versus their scrappy opponents who are giving it all they’ve got. Think a Buster Douglas versus Mike Tyson.

But Rocky 4 was just stupid. It was very 80’s in that everyone thought Russia was a lot more advanced than they really were.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Why is everyone talking about the movie that's been built up to for 10 years and 22 other movies

Mu Zeta posted:

Endgame made 1.2 billion dollars over the first weekend. Yeah it's basically the only movie out because everyone else won't release anything the same week.

I didn't ask "WHY?" you dinguses and I know the loving thing is gigantic. I realize that.

I'm just stunned at it's sheer dominance and total stranglehold on public discourse, even across every thread I follow - a lot of which aren't comic book or movie related - and making a joke about how the entirety of the forums look like this

Endgame
Spolier
Endgame
Spolier
Endgame
Spolier
Endgame
Spolier
Endgame
Spolier
Endgame
Spolier

TDK didn't even do this.

It's utterly amazing. "Irrationally irritating", if you will, since I'm not really hyped and everything I try to read here is covered in electrical tape because of it.

If you don't mind, I am trying to be irrational here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair it kind of makes sense. Fighters get rich and content versus their scrappy opponents who are giving it all they’ve got. Think a Buster Douglas versus Mike Tyson.

I suppose, yeah, but a lot of poor, hungry up and comers got the living poo poo beat out them by Mike Tyson and Muhammed Ali for a good when they were on top while just the same.

Double post but Karate Kid is another "cheap training" examples.

Skinny poor kid learns how to kick rear end by painting fences, clipping trees, standing on a rowboat and washing cars. If doing chores and menial tasks were roads towards martial arts mastery, I'd be Bruce loving Lee right now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Rocky 4 was just stupid. It was very 80’s in that everyone thought Russia was a lot more advanced than they really were.

Watch Great White Hype

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

I mean specifically using them all together, for their Final Ultimate Power.

I would figure that gaining mastery over time, space, reality, etc would make you regular old omnipotent, or at least generally pretty powerful, but instead it seems to grant this very specific power of "snap your fingers to delete or un-delete arbitrarily large groups of organisms across the universe". I guess you could say that since Thanos always had that particular goal in mind and wasn't interested in power in general, he had the gauntlet made to only do that specific thing with the stones and Tony just copied the design when he made his version.

Thanos also uses the stones to destroy themselves.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In Civil War, the aggravating incident that sets the film in motion is nothing. This dude's going to blow up a big bomb in the middle of a crowded marketplace next to a highrise. Scarlet Witch throws him straight up in the air, and he blows up next to the building's upper floors, killing some people in the building.

But if he'd just blown up on the ground, way loving more people would have died. And since he was still right next to the building, the whole thing might have collapsed. This was a trolley problem, and she saved lives. But everyone in-universe acts like this was some horrific, unjustifiable thing she did. I get that politically it was a bad thing no matter what, but even in the internal discussions not a single Avenger says "You saved a bunch of lives. You did everything you could do. You did the right thing."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:39 on May 4, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Phanatic posted:

In Civil War, the aggravating incident that sets the film in motion is nothing. This dude's going to blow up a big bomb in the middle of a crowded marketplace next to a highrise. Scarlet Witch throws him straight up in the air, and he blows up next to the building's upper floors, killing some people in the building.

But if he'd just blown up on the ground, way loving more people would have died. And since he was still right next to the building, the whole thing might have collapsed. This was a trolley problem, and she saved lives. But everyone in-universe acts like this was some horrific, unjustifiable thing she did. I get that politically it was a bad thing no matter but, but even in the internal discussions not a single Avenger says "You saved a bunch of lives. You did everything you could do. You did the right thing."

The big Civil War didn't seem like it meant much at all overall.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

But if he'd just blown up on the ground, way loving more people would have died. And since he was still right next to the building, the whole thing might have collapsed. This was a trolley problem, and she saved lives. But everyone in-universe acts like this was some horrific, unjustifiable thing she did. I get that politically it was a bad thing no matter but, but even in the internal discussions not a single Avenger says "You saved a bunch of lives. You did everything you could do. You did the right thing."

it's more of a last-straw thing, since Tony Stark sort of accidentally blew up a country that one time

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s similar to The Incredibles or Alex Ross’ Kingdom Come in that people blamed the superheroes for being there in the first place. Like if they weren’t there the battle wouldn’t have happened. So even if they saved lives in the aggregate, people just see dead Wakanans.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phanatic posted:

They're vigilantes acting unsupervised in a foreign country

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus there’s the political aspect of them entering a country illegally on an assassination mission.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people split up. The hills have eyes: Guess how you all live? You all get out of the car and walk back to the gas station. Use the guns you have and steal the attendant's shotgun after he's done offing himself on the shitter and get out of there. Don't shelter in place when even if it wasn't a horror movie any reasonable person would know they are in one. Shady gas station attendant gave you directions and you ended up stranded? Come on, you know what's going on. Get out of there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aphrodite posted:

Plus there’s the political aspect of them entering a country illegally on an assassination mission.

Samuringa posted:

They're vigilantes acting unsupervised in a foreign country

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think it’s similar to The Incredibles or Alex Ross’ Kingdom Come in that people blamed the superheroes for being there in the first place. Like if they weren’t there the battle wouldn’t have happened. So even if they saved lives in the aggregate, people just see dead Wakanans.

Phanatic posted:

I get that politically it was a bad thing no matter what

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but you edited your post.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but you edited your post.

To correct a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people split up. The hills have eyes: Guess how you all live? You all get out of the car and walk back to the gas station. Use the guns you have and steal the attendant's shotgun after he's done offing himself on the shitter and get out of there. Don't shelter in place when even if it wasn't a horror movie any reasonable person would know they are in one. Shady gas station attendant gave you directions and you ended up stranded? Come on, you know what's going on. Get out of there.

The dog is the smartest character in that movie from all I hear.