Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Metal Gear Prompto is super fun. This should be a chapter in the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxxidation posted:

the location of the headlights in that place is downright mean

Got those but now I'm trying to find the fourth switch to open the inner sanctum because I'm sure as gently caress not coming back here again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

derra posted:

... Mega intentionally picked the "worst" port of each of these.

Although I will admit to liking FF4 3DS and, despite all its' issues, playing a version of FF1 with MP seems wrong. Still, the PS version still has spell slots, with most of the equipment / magic / other bugs resolved?

I probably should've used PS1 version of FF4, but FF4 doesn't have any real "bad" ports, which is astounding considering how many times it's been ported. Worst case is bad load times/translation for PS1 and lazy port job for Steam.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, FF4 DS was also ridiculously hard. Especially those loving flame hounds.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Part of why I liked it; FF4 SNES was way too easy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Be Depressive posted:

I must be the one person who really liked the 3 remake. My only complaint is the lack of save points in the last hour of the game but you can use a cheat on the DS version that lets you save anywhere.

What is the trick? I might go back to playing it again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I didn't know until today but Monteblanc will let you respec for free and you can save multiple gambit loadouts in the Switch and Bone ports from this week and both are amazing qol features

I wonder if they'll backport this to PS4 and Steam (probably not).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, FF4 DS was also ridiculously hard. Especially those loving flame hounds.

I am still amazed they turn Dr Lugae, a pretty forgotable boss into a legit threat whom will easily kick your rear end if you don't know what you're doing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whilst I'm thinking of FFXII TZA, if you finish the game does it put you back on the overworld afterwards so you can finish off the sidequests etc, or will I have to redo everything if I want to platinum? I've been sitting on a save for a while now right before Sky Fortress Bahamut trying to decide if I want to do more hunts and bestiary completion or if I want to finish the story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Whilst I'm thinking of FFXII TZA, if you finish the game does it put you back on the overworld afterwards so you can finish off the sidequests etc, or will I have to redo everything if I want to platinum? I've been sitting on a save for a while now right before Sky Fortress Bahamut trying to decide if I want to do more hunts and bestiary completion or if I want to finish the story.

The game makes a save but boots you back out of the sky fortress if you load that save. Youre not forced to Ng+

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Elephant Ambush posted:

What is the trick? I might go back to playing it again.

If you play on the DS with an AceKard running AKAIO or a SuperCard and download the finalized cheats_db file for DS games, there’s a lot of tweaks you can do to change difficulty but the best option is “save anywhere” which lets you do exactly that.

It probably works with R4 and other flashcarts I just don’t know anything about which bios they use.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OhFunny posted:

3 and 5 can be whatever version since I won't buy them.
5 is the best single-digit FF, fight me :colbert:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

The game makes a save but boots you back out of the sky fortress if you load that save. Youre not forced to Ng+

Sweet, guess I'm finally finishing FFXII, my second finished FF (unless you count being caught up on story content for XIV as finished).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Be Depressive posted:

If you play on the DS with an AceKard running AKAIO or a SuperCard and download the finalized cheats_db file for DS games, there’s a lot of tweaks you can do to change difficulty but the best option is “save anywhere” which lets you do exactly that.

It probably works with R4 and other flashcarts I just don’t know anything about which bios they use.

Oh I thought it was a glitch. I don't do the hack cards thing. Thanks though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

I am still amazed they turn Dr Lugae, a pretty forgotable boss into a legit threat whom will easily kick your rear end if you don't know what you're doing.

From what I recall with FF4 DS, a lot of the strategy revolved around dealing with various boss counters and being smart with your augments. Also, you had to use up augments on temporary characters to get their augments, and a few of those were extremely good. Giving Rosa Dualcast/Omnicast made her incredibly good at buffing the party, for example. Omnicast comes from FuSoYa.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They also did just gently caress up the balance of some fights. Iirc the flame dogs and cpu fight are some bullshit

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Honestly I think the ideal way to experience FF1 is to play the NES version until you get annoyed enough to quit, and then just play one of the remakes if you absolutely must experience the first rudimentary FF story.

derra posted:

playing a version of FF1 with MP seems wrong.
So I finally got around to play FF1 GBA which I've had for, years, but I'm following it up by watching the AGDQ FF1 NES run to get a sense of the version differences. The GBA version is pretty good, albeit easy, but about half-way through I'm wondering why I'm sitting on a pile different offensive magic spells when I'm using Fire3 (Firaga?) the whole time. Then I realized that with the spell charge system you have to use all the different spells because they run out.

I don't think I would've really wanted to play the NES version through first though. The sheer number of broken spells/mechanics would've been frustrating even if, somehow, it all adds up to a decent overall experience.

Be Depressive posted:

That's an interesting suggestion. I've been meaning to play FF3. I've played about a half-hour of the Famicom fan translation and liked it, but I also bought it when it came out on DS. Originally I was going to play the DS version, having bought it and all, but after reading about the save grossness (and for a handheld game?) I was leaning towards the fan translation.

But I also dumped my DS carts years ago and have a DSTT with an updated "everything", including (as I just checked) an updated cheats database. So I have all the pieces to sanely play FF3 DS too. In which case, and particular recommendation between that or the Famicom version?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Famicom version is still mechanically better than 3DS in multiple different ways. It is, however, slower due to NES hardware and enemy encounter design still being ancient.

Pick which sounds better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
to help put your decision into perspective, take this example: medusa, the fourth or fifth boss, has 900 hp in the nes version. in the ds version, she has something like 6500 hp.

the player's output-damage formulas remain largely unchanged.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DACK FAYDEN posted:

5 is the best single-digit FF, fight me :colbert:

You are correct because VI is two digits.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rirse posted:

I beat FFX today, which man Yuna ultimate weapon plus her using a lot of Lulu's grid sphere just made her so broken that the final boss didn't even get more then a single attack off. I picked up FFXII on the Switch, but wonder if I should play X-2 next since I never played it and X is fresh in my memory to remember characters. If I play X-2, what some tips?

don't go for 100%. visit everywhere at least once per chapter when you can

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OhFunny posted:

I'd prefer the PSP versions of 1&2&4 and the GBA version of 6.

3 and 5 can be whatever version since I won't buy them.

Best versions are PSP/Mobile for 1 and 2, NES for 3, GBA (with romhacks that fix sprites/sounds) for 4-6.

Barudak posted:

They also did just gently caress up the balance of some fights. Iirc the flame dogs and cpu fight are some bullshit

Flame dogs and chimera brains could wreck your poo poo even on the US SNES version. A surprise attack from Chimera brains was 99% likely to be a game over.

4DS had its balance all over the place and most of the difficulty was "just use Slow and also do this 1 or 2 gimmick things and the boss will be as easy as ever." Except for LEviathan and CPU. Those fights were just stupid because you had a fraction of a second to defend before their bigass AOE openers hit you and they could easily kill anyone except Cecil. And if you were a low level, Rydia and Rosa were still likely going to die even if they were guarding in time.

It's also the only game I've seen that added a New Game+ mode but only let you use it a finite number of times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cant let someone willing to invest several hundred hours into a singleplayer game get too powerful

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any in-game indication that you have to get to Memoria in under 12 hours to get Excalibur II in FFIX? It’s so loving absurd.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s like those chests you’re supposed to avoid in FFXII. How?? How do you know??

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You just gotta buy the player's guide with it and go to the appropriate playonline links.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That's how I always saw it, like "thanks for buying this guide here's a special in-game reward for you" done with the limitations of the time when you couldn't just punch in a special code or whatever. The reward was just a little too useful and the implementation sketchy.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is there any in-game indication that you have to get to Memoria in under 12 hours to get Excalibur II in FFIX? It’s so loving absurd.

This though is not absurd at all, it's purely for bragging rights and something they no doubt tossed in for fun. It's kinda how like you get a key item for beating Omega Weapon in VIII that's just like "hey good job for doing this special challenge", the fact that it's a thing you can equip instead of a key item that time around just messes with some people's heads.

Today it'd like just be a trophy or an achievement. Dark Souls (2?) did the exact same thing though, you get special items that let you turn our weapons invisible if you beat the game by never dying or never using a bonfire. Just a small in-game way to indicate that you did the crazy thing.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 3, 2019

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You just gotta buy the player's guide with it and go to the appropriate playonline links.

Man, talking about baffling design choices and I always forget about this doozy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I gotta say, now I'm giving FFXV a chance, some things bug me more than they used to.

Like, would it be fair to say the highlight of this game in terms of the story is the relationship of the four bros? I think that's what a lot of people love about it and why the best thing about the ending is the campfire scene. (it's not Noctis getting with that girl he has not meaningfully interacted with outside of a couple flashbacks)

So the final boss - the culmination of everything the game is supposed to be about - just saying your friends suck and they go to sleep now and you fight him all on your own...isn't that kinda dumb?

One thing I really appreciate is all the combat dialogue. Some people love to say "RPGs should go back to no voice-acting" and that's stupid for a lot of reasons but combat dialogue is a big reason I love voice-acting. FFX had so many great moments as you proceeded through the story where, depending on location and party formation, they said little things to each other that perfectly established the party's dynamic. Not hugely important but it all adds up to something special. Then FFXII had none of that at loving all and it sucked. XIII had a semblance of this where Snow and Hope or Sazh and Vanille had little special things they'd say to each other and that was kinda cool. But FFXV really takes it up a notch, maybe doing it even better than X. The characters reacting to the battle, especially with regards to somebody else being hurt (like Prompto's "NOOOOOOOCT!") do wonders for making gameplay more than just gameplay if you get what I mean. It makes battles just as important as cutscenes for endearing the characters to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just how many teams were in the league with the Zanarkand Abes? Seems like Tidus wouldn't be playing many teams, but there has to be a few for him to be A Big Deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Just how many teams were in the league with the Zanarkand Abes? Seems like Tidus wouldn't be playing many teams, but there has to be a few for him to be A Big Deal.

I mean, the premier league is only 20 teams and multiple are from london.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Also, what the gently caress is an Abe?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre from A-East in Zanarkand, I assumed it was just a slang term for someone from there.

Edit: I looked it up because I wanted to make sure I remembered that correctly and what the poo poo you can play them in X-2 but only if you are in NG+ after getting the 100% ending. Who would ever keep playing the game at that point, much less a minigame you dont need.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Also, what the gently caress is an Abe?

Probably the same thing a Met is?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

So the final boss - the culmination of everything the game is supposed to be about - just saying your friends suck and they go to sleep now and you fight him all on your own...isn't that kinda dumb?
Yeah but you fly around like DBZ so I'll allow it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII had a semblance of this where Snow and Hope or Sazh and Vanille had little special things they'd say to each other and that was kinda cool.

Pretty much, though minor correction, Lightning and Hope had lines to each other too. Fang has a death quote to Vanille but idk if they really had any quotes to each other.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

I liked that but I will say I was kinda disappointed by the absence of the cliche FF Giant Interdimensional Horror final boss.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

I beat FFX today, which man Yuna ultimate weapon plus her using a lot of Lulu's grid sphere just made her so broken that the final boss didn't even get more then a single attack off. I picked up FFXII on the Switch, but wonder if I should play X-2 next since I never played it and X is fresh in my memory to remember characters. If I play X-2, what some tips?

Experiment with all the dresspheres, they're all good for something. Spherechanging during battles is a huge strategic benefit. Doing all the sidequests will overpower you for the main game, so play in whatever way you find most enjoyable. The New Game+ is really well done, you basically keep everything except levels.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006

zedprime posted:

The lead-up to the Adamantoise battle felt like the culmination of the game to me. I don’t understand how you are even there or if it just a dog assisted mental projection but whatever I’m just happy to give that cat more delicious fish. Seeing all my old friends was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"Hold x and wiggle your control stick left and right rapidly while the background awkwardly shifts to different Dutch angle shots of a city" was kind of total rear end, imo. Like, probably the worst video game final boss I've ever experienced. Unlike, say, ff13's final boss he wasn't even visually interesting: I went in expecting ardyn to burst into some horrifying 100 demon amalgamation and instead he gets the same lame ghost swords vaguely floating around him that noctis does, except his are red.

It was really funny beating phase 3 "I remembered how to drink a potion so I guess I win" and turning to my buddies and saying "ok, there's no way that was the end, he's about to get back up for phase 4 and this fight is gonna turn good" and watching it just never come though