Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

precision posted:

I mean people keep saying stuff like this as if "the writers" are keeping a good show from being made but I think you'll find that "the viewers" largely don't care and probably 99% of everyone who watched this episode loved it.

Every single person I’ve talked to in real life has really enjoyed the episode, and the only people I’ve seen complain have been on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked it, but it was stupid.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

precision posted:

I mean people keep saying stuff like this as if "the writers" are keeping a good show from being made but I think you'll find that "the viewers" largely don't care and probably 99% of everyone who watched this episode loved it.

Eh this episode has the 2nd lowest rating ever for a GOT episode so it's more dividing than you're making out.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Excuse me, his dick would be black

if it was written by Bakker, his jizz would be black too.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I guess Arya killing the Night King is the best way to mark the "D&D" seasons separate from the "book" seasons, which ended with Tyrion killing his dad on the toilet.
Maybe Tywin dying made Westeros more like Peter Jackson's Hobbit due to some magical prophecy that happened offscreen.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Desiderata posted:

It would really have been more Game of Thrones, to in that climatic pause moment, as the Night King and bran look at eachother, instead of drawing his sword, in a voice the sound of cracking ice he said something along the lines of:

'You have forgotten the pact we made with your namesake ancestor Brandon 'The Builder', you have allowed men beyond our wall. Worse, you brought dragon fire to our lands. We have now returned them all to you. Do not break our pact again. Ensure no men enter our lands.'

And with that twirled and left, as the wights collapse around them, left for the humans to bury. It turns out that the ice monsters are more trustworthy and easier to negotiate with than Cersi, and they were upholding ancient promises long forgotten. That the magical ice wall, belonged to the magical ice people the whole time. That the institution that was the Nights-Watch were meant to carry out half remembered duty to kill those men who wander beyond the wall was part of an ancient bargain, and that Nights Watch let things get out of hand and had unknowingly been facing the wrong way the whole series. That the wildlings, and the three eyed raven, and eventually the Nights Watch and Jon and his expedition were the transgressors here, and the Night King's actions punitive.

I just want to say that this would have been amazing, fit with everything we've seen in the show, and reinforced the idea that men, including Bran, are self-interested fuckups. I wish you were an intern.

The Night King had tolerated a few wildlings for centuries, but with the long summer their numbers were growing untenable. Craster was fine because he had permission.

The opening scene of s01e01 was the Night King sending a message in a long forgotten agreed upon format to police up their poo poo. In response, Pancho Mormont launches a border incursion that is rightfully repulsed. One of the squatters declares himself king, rides south, presumably to seek allies. They can't be fleeing because the idiot border guards don't let them through.

Not long after the border guards invade again but with better weapons. They are again repulsed and the Night King has to clean up. Oh also, the Three-Eyed Raven has been pirating the wifi for decades. Even then. The Night King is content to just enforce the border until the same idiots invade AGAIN and take one of his citizens captive. What's worse is that they've escalated AGAIN, with a dragon.

At this point, the Night King rightfully understands that these idiots are going to keep coming unless he takes decisive action. So he packs up all the crap they left behind and heads down to talk with the Stark in Winterfell and, surprise, sur-loving-prise people keep starting poo poo.

But it's performative, clearly. They aren't using tactics that suggest a real fight. It's a protest, like paying rent in pennies. So the Night King deals with it, finds the last True male Stark WHO IS STILL LOGGED ON TO THE WIFI. He's about to draw the sword he got from Bran the Builder to show he still kept to the pact when he's jumped by a teleporting murder-hobo and killed.

RIP Indigenous First Nation.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still don’t understand why you do this episode and not burn Jon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kater posted:

I still don’t understand why you do this episode and not burn Jon.

Jon's definitely going to die like his grandpa (immolated alive while in Kings Landing/The South).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Best way to watch this show now is to watch seasons 1 to 4 and then pretend that it got cancelled after that.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gorn Myson posted:

Best way to watch this show now is to watch seasons 1 to 4 and then pretend that it got cancelled after that.

Ah, the Dexter method

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm not seeing enough dismissive nicknames for Bran and what he's become.

I thought Dr. Branhattan was the approved one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Excuse me, (the Night King's) dick would be black

That gives "take the black" a whole new meaning...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RealFoxy posted:

TBF Ramsey was always just a sneaky dude who usually relied on people around him or fear to get what he wanted, it's not like he was ever portrayed as a great warrior anywhere

The episode where Yara tries to rescue Theon and the ironborn have to fight their way out, Ramsey is pretty pointedly shown to be a dual wielding badass who somehow avoids any injury despite being not just unarmored, but shirtless. I think he alone kills two of the ironborn? He's not Jaime but they did go out of their way to build him up as the nega-Jon Snow, complete with fancy combat action and special moves.

Did they ever explain why they changed the NK actor? The first guy looked genuinely demonic, the newer one just has a lumpy face.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 2, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Mat Cauthon posted:

The episode where Asha tries to rescue Theon and the ironborn have to fight their way out, Ramsey is pretty pointedly shown to be a dual wielding badass who somehow avoids any injury despite being not just unarmored, but shirtless. I think he alone kills two of the ironborn? He's not Jaime but they did go out of their way to build him up as the nega-Jon Snow, complete with fancy combat action and special moves.

Did they ever explain why they changed the NK actor? The first guy looked genuinely demonic, the newer one just has a lumpy face.

I think it was implied so that the NK could have some awesome fight scenes, because Vladimir Furdik is pretty good at doing swordfights:

https://twitter.com/Vladimir_furdik/status/1122553376674390016?s=20

He was the stuntman who played Arthur Dayne in the Tower of Joy fight scenes. No idea why they used him as NK unless the NK comes back or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think it was implied so that the NK could have some awesome fight scenes, because Vladimir Furdik is pretty good at doing swordfights:

He was the stuntman who played Arthur Dayne in the Tower of Joy fight scenes. No idea why they used him as NK unless the NK comes back or something.

With all the stunts and sword play the NK engaged in, I can't see how they could hire anyone else.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

With all the stunts and sword play the NK engaged in, I can't see how they could hire anyone else.

Paying one guy for four episodes is probably cheaper than paying two guys for 3 and 1. If you're casting Arthur Dayne anyway and he's got the build to be the Night King too then go hog wild!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe Richard Brake (NK 1) couldn't raise both arms at the same time?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

LadyPictureShow posted:

Maybe Richard Brake (NK 1) couldn't raise both arms at the same time?

He did it in Hardhome

Maybe he got tired of doing it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I honestly didn't notice the actor switch.

McNally posted:

I'm not seeing enough dismissive nicknames for Bran and what he's become.

I thought Dr. Branhattan was the approved one.

To be fair, this is a kid who previously had gently caress all for entertainment options. If anything HBO is down playing how creepy a teenager who had full voyeur VR access would be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Comrade Koba posted:

You could replace literally every scene in the entire second half of the series with either Tyrion quipping sarcastically about wine and whores or Arya flipping out and murdering extras with ninja superpowers and “the viewers” would still love it to death.

Maybe! That's kind of my point. Commercial art is about pleasing the consumer. If you think it's about telling a logical, coherent and profound story, you haven't been paying attention

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Might have been as a thank you for being a good/lead stunt dude I guess?
That or maybe Richard Brake wanted some good dosh for being the lead villain in GoT and they were like "nah bro"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ok I had to go watch the original scene again just to be sure, but this legit looks better than the final product. It's one of those rare instances where shaky spastic cam actually works in favor of the scene and helps disguise the choreography. In the final product they did these 50 feet away panning shots that made it super obvious when a stuntman was waiting for their cue to attack.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Opening shot of the next episode.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SyRauk posted:

Opening shot of the next episode.

I can't even tell if this is real or from like a Terminator movie or something.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Why not both?
That scene only uses real mercury.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Asehujiko posted:

I can't even tell if this is real or literally from like a Terminator movie or something.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Thought it was something like that but didn't know for sure since I never watched T2.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Thought it was something like that but didn't know for sure since I never watched T2.

ffs, this is somehow the worst opinion in the thread and it's not even an opinion but a statement. you better watch t2 this weekend or I'm reporting your post

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Asehujiko posted:

:chloe:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asehujiko posted:

What is wrong with you

You should go watch t1 first if you haven't because it'll change your perspective on t2 a bit , but you can dive into t2 if you want and not miss anything

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Asehujiko posted:

:negative:

why do you hate yourself

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Asehujiko posted:

Instantly recognizing a shot from T2 and pretending to never have watched T2 yet knowing exactly which of the five terminator movies the shot is from to trigger the libs.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The Sean posted:

Instantly recognizing a shot from T2 and pretending to never have watched T2 yet knowing exactly which of the five terminator movies the shot is from to trigger the libs.
I watched terminator 1, 3 and about a third of 4 so it had to either 2, the latter part of 4 or 5. The latter two aren't part of pop culture so by process of elimination it must've been T2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't know they had internet.........in a cave! Where you live. Cause you're a hermit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Terminator 2 is as old now as Hitchcock's The Birds was when Terminator 2 came out.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ola posted:

Terminator 2 is as old now as Hitchcock's The Birds was when Terminator 2 came out.

gently caress what happened to time

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ola posted:

I can't even tell if this is real or from like The Birds movie or something. I don't know for sure since I've never seen The Birds directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1963 starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hendron, and Jessica Tandy with a run time of 119mins.

edit: poo poo, the other picture I posted with birds at all in a shot from the movie got taken down so here's another

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 3, 2019

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The Sean posted:

I can't even tell if this is real or from like The Birds movie or something. I don't know for sure since I've never seen The Birds directed by Alfred Hitchcock in 1963 starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hendron, and Jessica Tandy with a run time of 119mins.

same i have only seem the birds 1, the birds 3, and the birds salvation

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The Sean posted:

ITT: Goons unable to comprehend that somebody might not have have exact knowledge of a pop culture thing that came out when they were 2 months old but able to determine where it's from with a big clue in the right direction from another poster and google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

ITT: Goons unable to comprehend that somebody might not have have exact knowledge of a pop culture thing that came out when they were 2 months old but able to determine where it's from with a big clue in the right direction from another poster and google.

Quit trying to justify your ignorance, uncultured swine.