Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Cam Winston is great. It's like they called down to Central casting with "tall man with imposing facial expressions who can bellow opposite kelsey" and they fuckin nailed it. Wish he showed up more times.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Martin should have married his mom.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Indeed. The fact that we got so little of Cam Winston and so much of Daphne's family was poor judgement on the writers' part.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

How do you like your rum?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Farrier Theaks posted:

1. Daphne's mom
2. Donnie
3. Mel
4. Julia Wilcox (intentional, but unfunny)

Best secondary character:
1. Faye (I'd convert)

what the gently caress Donnie was cool :mad: and no Simon on a list of bad Frasier characters is wrong

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

simon is a trash person but he's pretty fun in several episodes just for how effortlessly he riles frasier while martin still pals around with him

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Simon sort of works because everyone has met someone like him.

Daphne after season 3 or so should be on the list because the writers gave up on making her an interesting character. They made one well-rounded female character with Roz and were exhausted by it and could do no more.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Quote-Unquote posted:

what the gently caress Donnie was cool :mad:

This might be on me because I caught the episodes after the wedding first, and they involved him threating frasier and niles. Also that was right around the time the show started having a lot more drama and I associate him and mel with that (right or wrong).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

donnie was great all the time, treated daphne like a saint, helped niles get out of total destitution during his divorce to maris, and humored frasier more than most people would bother

just because he reacts to getting super frasier'd in a more human way than frasier did does not make him a bad person at all, imo, although obviously they turn him into someone who is perpetually hung up on daphne for a throwaway joke later

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How could anyone not like that Donnie scene with him and Mr. Chump??

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

somebody should make a 16-bit adventure game where you're the crane boys trying to solve a mystery while hosting a dinner party and your overall score is based on how long each of the guests stays

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

food court bailiff posted:

somebody should make a 16-bit adventure game where you're the crane boys trying to solve a mystery while hosting a dinner party and your overall score is based on how long each of the guests stays

> The PARROT clutches your head, and cannot be removed! -1 to CHARM, BON MOT, QUIP and REJOINDER skills.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gimmie the assets and the stories and I'll write the code

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'll moderate the wiki

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And I will actually play it, thus being the first and only.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

simon is a trash person but he's pretty fun in several episodes just for how effortlessly he riles frasier while martin still pals around with him

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How could anyone not like that Donnie scene with him and Mr. Chump??

sudonim posted:

Cam Winston is great. It's like they called down to Central casting with "tall man with imposing facial expressions who can bellow opposite kelsey" and they fuckin nailed it. Wish he showed up more times.

I never cared for that high powered lawyer that Frasier was "starfucking" as someone itt so wonderfully put it. She's in more than one ep

Maybe some of the people from the radio station in the early seasons that they dropped because otherwise it was a little too WKRP

Daphne's mom showed up too many times but probably would have been fine in one or two episodes

The Greeks

FilthyImp posted:

I like to think the episodes that have him feuding with his condo neighbor because of "parking" are really just because he's jealous of Dr. Guy's massive pringles-can dong, too.

ahahahaha

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like Gil

Romping with my school chums through the fens and spinneys!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sagacity posted:

Indeed. The fact that we got so little of Cam Winston and so much of Daphne's family was poor judgement on the writers' part.

Between that and the Greek episode I wonder if someone on the show just really thought the Crane boys having to deal with comically obnoxious European stereotypes was hilarious despite it being completely one-note.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Between that and the Greek episode I wonder if someone on the show just really thought the Crane boys having to deal with comically obnoxious European stereotypes was hilarious despite it being completely one-note.

90s television.txt

See also, all the jokes they make about how a man wearing a dress is just the ~~craziest~~ thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey Guys its ISLAND NILES! How wha-- on, like 2 episodes only eh?

Why didn't Dr Frasier Crane, Licensed TheRapist ever deal with 9-11? Could have had him doing an all-day reporting on poo poo while trying to leave for a hot date.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Brawnfire posted:

> The PARROT clutches your head, and cannot be removed! -1 to CHARM, BON MOT, QUIP and REJOINDER skills.

>EXAMINE
What do you want to examine?

>EXAMINE RESERVATION TO LE CIGARE VOLANT
You can't see any such thing.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
>OPEN DOOR
Which one? This room has 7 doors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

> DAPHNE'S DOOR

What about it?

> OPEN DAPHNE'S DOOR

Haven't you learned your lesson from last time?

>GET NOVEL FROM DAPHNE'S ROOM

The door is shut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We're only a few degrees away from a Frasier visual novel.

With the terrifying part being that most 90s sitcoms would adapt easily to that format.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAxGuACdvs

Off topic but who wants to see Jim Belushi fight three little people at Stevie B's Rib Cafe

E skip to 3 mins

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Posting the probably unpopular opinion that Bulldog was a bad character. He has the one bit most of the show then later when he gets some character development it’s too little too late. It’s too bad too because the actor was good and so was the idea of the character as a foil to Fraiser.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Posting the probably unpopular opinion that Bulldog was a bad character. He has the one bit most of the show then later when he gets some character development it’s too little too late. It’s too bad too because the actor was good and so was the idea of the character as a foil to Fraiser.

Nah, that about sums up a lot of the conversation around him so far.

I think the deal is with Frasier is that a lot of elements of it are basically timeless (as I said, the show's basic premise and formula are pretty much Victorian farce) or at least aged very well, which makes the things that are specifically annoying 90s sitcom cliches (oh-so-wacky sex pests, obnoxious wacky foreigners) stick out all the more.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

GamingHyena posted:

>EXAMINE
What do you want to examine?

>EXAMINE RESERVATION TO LE CIGARE VOLANT
You can't see any such thing.

>CHECK UNDER "DR. PLEASURE DINOSAUR"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, that about sums up a lot of the conversation around him so far.

I think the deal is with Frasier is that a lot of elements of it are basically timeless (as I said, the show's basic premise and formula are pretty much Victorian farce) or at least aged very well, which makes the things that are specifically annoying 90s sitcom cliches (oh-so-wacky sex pests, obnoxious wacky foreigners) stick out all the more.

I always considered him a type of Alazṓn, personally.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

been rewatching Frasier for a few months now and I just got to the episode where Daphne's mum and Simon come back

That poo poo sucks, but on the other hand it's the same episode that Frasier yells "CAAAAAM WINSTOOOON!!!!" after making his big speech about how great America is and the flag unfurls over his balcony, which was gold.

In conclusion, mid-season 9 is a land of contrasts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I kinda liked Simon, though his gimmick wears out pretty quick. As true as ever that having a British accent makes Americans swoon regardless of how much of a piece of trash you openly are.

Interesting thing is he speaks almost as formal as Frasier does, and uses big words but doesn't get them wrong, kinda seems like he's a lot more intelligent and educated than he acts but just prefers the dissolute lifestyle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda liked Simon, though his gimmick wears out pretty quick. As true as ever that having a British accent makes Americans swoon regardless of how much of a piece of trash you openly are.

Interesting thing is he speaks almost as formal as Frasier does, and uses big words but doesn't get them wrong, kinda seems like he's a lot more intelligent and educated than he acts but just prefers the dissolute lifestyle.

He's sort of a Jeremy Usbourne, without even a little conscience.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ghost Leviathan posted:

he's a lot more intelligent and educated than he acts but just prefers the dissolute lifestyle.

Right. So, British then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
https://www.yelp.com/biz/le-cigare-volant-santa-cruz

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's because he has a "British" accent. The character is supposed to be Mancunian, but he sounds like an Australian doing a very bad impression of someone from East London. Daphne's accent was bad enough.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The absolute worst accent in the whole show is Daphne's ex (the one who gets convinced Marty is an astronaut), who somehow manages to be sub Dick van Dyke level. I don't know which producer's nephew that was, I can't come up with a better explanation for someone so bad to get that gig. It's not like there are no actually British actors in America.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

Why didn't Dr Frasier Crane, Licensed TheRapist ever deal with 9-11? Could have had him doing an all-day reporting on poo poo while trying to leave for a hot date.

I think they deliberately avoided 9/11 because series creator David Angell and his wife were on Flight 11.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

The absolute worst accent in the whole show is Daphne's ex (the one who gets convinced Marty is an astronaut), who somehow manages to be sub Dick van Dyke level. I don't know which producer's nephew that was, I can't come up with a better explanation for someone so bad to get that gig. It's not like there are no actually British actors in America.

My immersion, ruined

I think this happens because none of us here actually care about the difference between the accents. We just want someone who sounds different, and therefore "funny"

"God, he talks just like a prince!" - Roz and a lot of real people, probably

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think it's because he has a "British" accent. The character is supposed to be Mancunian, but he sounds like an Australian doing a very bad impression of someone from East London. Daphne's accent was bad enough.

Anthony LaPaglia IS Australian so file this under "Goofs- (possibly intentional by filmmakers??)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Looking through the episode list and there's a good chunk I haven't seen but they're all ones I've avoided by choice. Will I really benefit by watching the Ronee episodes?