Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So they have just posted a video showing what it looks like when the period of The Three Kingdoms truly kicks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks fun. I like that the AI relocates it’s capital when it declares and that there’s a handful of ways for those titles to change. Should make for some good variety in multiple playthroughs. Also like in this case it can break up larger alliances pretty well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Definitely sounds like a better mechanic than the Shogun 2 realm divide

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am curious if you get a free capital move once the period kicks off or should you keep at least 10k (the cost to relocate a capital) in the bank so that you can quickly relocate your capital if it looks like someone else will beat you to the punch.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

game has dating, 1 million sold guarentee

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mastahful/status/1123969310475599874

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wonder if Cao Cao will have a negative trait that breaks up said sort of marriages too?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Poor Diaochan =(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mantis42 posted:

Poor Diaochan =(

The worst fate to become the pet obsession with several Three Kingdoms bad boys.

Anno
May 10, 2017

A new video out talking about one of the DLC factions: https://youtu.be/2k5k0GQH2eM

Looks like a pretty hard start but a cool theme and play style.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Attila Total War question:

I'm playing a game as the Eastern Roman Empire so that I can abuse its 5% treasury interest mechanic, which has been a lot of fun, essentially getting paid to turtle. A very different, nice experience compared to the usual Total War game. But despite me breaking my alliance with the Western Roman Empire on turn 1 and providing no material support, they are still doing remarkably well 50+ turns in. They've lost Britain, but otherwise hold all their territory and have even taken a province from the Franks.

This is supposed to be a game about Rome falling, but Rome won't fall. I've looked at the various overhaul mods out there--Radious, XAI, etc. Do any of them improve the AI / make it aggressive enough to actually kill off the WRE?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Plan Z posted:

Unironically proud of TW community for shouting down the guys mad about women in Rome II, then a few months later focusing on freaking out over the latest GoT episode.

??? ?? It's a really bad episode from the specific perspective of deployment and tactics. I think the stuff I saw from total war YTbers focused entirely on battle commentary. Indiepride had a pretty good video on it with zero objectionable/chud poo poo at all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm playing a game as the Eastern Roman Empire so that I can abuse its 5% treasury interest mechanic, which has been a lot of fun, essentially getting paid to turtle. A very different, nice experience compared to the usual Total War game. But despite me breaking my alliance with the Western Roman Empire on turn 1 and providing no material support, they are still doing remarkably well 50+ turns in. They've lost Britain, but otherwise hold all their territory and have even taken a province from the Franks.

This is supposed to be a game about Rome falling, but Rome won't fall. I've looked at the various overhaul mods out there--Radious, XAI, etc. Do any of them improve the AI / make it aggressive enough to actually kill off the WRE?

Sounds like you just got lucky (or unlucky?) Usually the WRE gets torn to shreds.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cantorsdust posted:

This is..really surprising to see/hear. Gaul is lucky to not be completely lost by 400.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

There are a number of total overhauls but I don't think any of them are a straightforward improvement upon the vanilla campaign. I tried XAI but it was actually easier for WRE in a number of ways. the unofficial community patch is the most comprehensive attila mod that i probably use.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that I aggressively hunted down all the hordes coming across my territory. Maybe I stemmed the tide enough for them to survive? Doesn't explain keeping Gaul though. Or North Africa. Maybe the difficulty? I was playing on normal, I don't know if that affects AI on AI aggressiveness. I might just need to restart then.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that I aggressively hunted down all the hordes coming across my territory. Maybe I stemmed the tide enough for them to survive? Doesn't explain keeping Gaul though. Or North Africa. Maybe the difficulty? I was playing on normal, I don't know if that affects AI on AI aggressiveness. I might just need to restart then.

How far into the game are you? It can sometimes take a while for the ai to really turn up the heat in the wre, usually while waiting for it to get a bunch of uprisings

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Well I installed Radious mod and restarted, and now in 405 the WRE holds only a handful of cities across Italy and Hispania. :shrug: There must have been something in the AI that got stuck, damned if I know.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Anno posted:

A new video out talking about one of the DLC factions: https://youtu.be/2k5k0GQH2eM

Looks like a pretty hard start but a cool theme and play style.
"I am He Man, the devil who shoots across the sky! Who dares to challenge me?" Oh, and his background is The Most Powerful... (That includes a bunch of expertise, Enables: Scare, and +10% armor for his own retinue.)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

This popped up in my recommended and I liked it because he showed off close-ups of the battles much more than other channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zezZpXBCv_4

Seems like a good channel deserving of a boosting, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For people that've watched a bunch, how is it looking?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I was under the impression that Dong Zhuo wasn't playable, is he?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

he's unlockable, last heard by either directly defeating his army in battle or reaching emperor rank, although idk if that's still the case

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I started trying to summarize my impression of the half dozen early campaign previews I have seen by various streamers by this point, but the best way to put it is this: there is a good chance you will spend as much time on the diplomatic screen in this game as you will be fighting battles.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As much as I love the battle improvements over the last few titles, the strategy layer of Rome 2, Shogun 2, and WH games has never grabbed me as much as the Rome/Medieval 2-era did. Watching the Three Kingdoms stuff, though, has shown that there's enough of a change that I think I'm amenable to and the new battle implementation of generals and customisation is something that looks super fun. That, and the game comes out at the end of semester for me, so it's just perfect timing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cantorsdust posted:

Well I installed Radious mod and restarted, and now in 405 the WRE holds only a handful of cities across Italy and Hispania. :shrug: There must have been something in the AI that got stuck, damned if I know.

Unless its different in attila the AI in TW operates at random so there is always the odd campaign where the ai decides to do nothing all game or only does stupid stuff all game.

Mantis42 posted:

I started trying to summarize my impression of the half dozen early campaign previews I have seen by various streamers by this point, but the best way to put it is this: there is a good chance you will spend as much time on the diplomatic screen in this game as you will be fighting battles.

Uh oh

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
To be fair part of that is diplomacy being a bit more or at least visibly deterministic -- as long as you can get the total out of the red/negative to green/at least +0.0 the AI will accept, so instead of just throwing up your hands and writing off diplomacy as bullshit you can consciously min-max agreements or even get the AI to accept outcomes that don't include their original request at all.

EDIT: The 'Quick Deals' UI can also be useful because if any faction shows up as a Yes for the given agreement, they probably want it enough for the total to be greater than +0.0 so you may be able to get a little more out of them through the full negotiation UI.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 5, 2019

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It seems like you'll actually get rewarded for using diplomacy in this. In recent games, I only ever really opened the diplo menu to see if I could trade with anyone new because it just never seemed like anything else was worth pursuing. Nobody ever lets you vassalize them. I felt punished for having any allies whatsoever. Anyone I ever got an NAP with would raid me or send agents to gently caress with me (no penalty for it of course). I confederated a lot in Warhammer, but it was rare in other games that had it. In Empire/Napoleon, I loved trading regions and technology and all of that stuff. Rarely touched it in Rome I, used it a fair bit in Med 2.

Another thing that took me out of games were if menus felt bad. Like lots of mushy buttons, or getting frame drops before windows would load. As simple as they are, I love Rome and Med 2's menus because they were so clicky and quick.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Is there a good three kingdoms comic or manga? I like to read that kinda thing before I go to sleep, I'm finishing up Lone Wolf and Cub so today as soon as I finished work I jumped on Shogun 2.

Would be nice to get on the hype train for 3k in this way and I don't know much about the story other than dynasty warriors and watching some of that Chinese TV series about it
Watch the Three Kingdoms Chinese costume drama. It's good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

??? ?? It's a really bad episode from the specific perspective of deployment and tactics. I think the stuff I saw from total war YTbers focused entirely on battle commentary. Indiepride had a pretty good video on it with zero objectionable/chud poo poo at all.

Wasn't doing the "oooooh so glaaaaad" sarcastic thing, those parts of the episode were infuriating. Just like that the shitheads of the TW community are entirely relegated to the TW Center forums and even the Reddit has a low bullshit tolerance. Also cool that Indey got a big-rear end boost after Kotaku shared the video.

I'm unreasonably excited for 3K. These extra few months look like they've been good for the game.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 8, 2019

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Watch the Three Kingdoms Chinese costume drama. It's good.

What is it's name?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

three kingdoms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Several Kingdoms.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Armchair historians out there, are there any records of other cultures than Rome that used an infantry Cycling system to combat exhaustion on the front lines?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Assuming you mean pre-firearms then no, I've not heard of this happening anywhere else though I'd love to hear otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean it makes sense to cycle your frontline, otherwise the front ranks will suffer 100% casualties in a fight every time unless you managed to rout the enemy quickly. Romans cycling your lines means legionaries fight for five minutes or so and then get a forty minute break at the back of the line. Fresh bodies to then grind down the opposition until they break.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
are there unit rosters listed any place?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Zerkovich did a partial unit roster video when they got the mini preview build a couple of weeks back. I don’t know that it was comprehensive of all the base units, though, and I don’t know that it included any of the faction specific units.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cant see a phalanx being able to rotate too easily, especially pikes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i actually remembered this existed the other day and ive been binging it

i sure hope everything turns out alright for lu bu and diaochan, its funny how it goes from like 3 hours of war stuff to 7 hours of love triangle intrigue but i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Plan Z posted:

This popped up in my recommended and I liked it because he showed off close-ups of the battles much more than other channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zezZpXBCv_4

Seems like a good channel deserving of a boosting, too.

its still kinda weird that the armies are so small. the models for the basic troops look super simple compared to warhammer and there is almost no visual diversity within a unit at all which seems like stuff you would do to enable larger battles without framerate drops.
since the battles look the same size if not a little smaller than warhammer it just kinda looks... a bit bad? in battles up close I mean. a thousand men in loose formation running into eachother isnt really what im thinking of when I think Three Kingdoms battles

everyone in this tv show is constantly being like "oops i lost 100,000 men in an ambush"
i'm obviously not expecting that but with those very basic looking graphics im pretty sure the engine can handle at least twice as many men per unit/twice as many units in an army.
the biggest battle in that stream seems to only be 2000 vs 3500 which is a pretty small fight by warhammer standards

i'd like to know their thinking on it, anyone know if they've addressed it?

i guess i'll have to quickly learn to mod unit sizes, surely that cant be too hard? i remember playing an attila mod i think that made each battle like 10000 men v 10000 men and it worked pretty well but my computer caught fire if the enemies brought reinforcements