Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Grrm being famous while Gene Wolfe wasn't is proof the pancreator hates our world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

poisonpill posted:

Is THIS the kind of thread I’ve been missing out on? I thought it was gonna be all people bitterly complaining about minutia.

I admit, at times I have a hard time distinguishing between this and the one in TV/IV. But every once in awhile you get a post like the one you quoted and yea...s'all good.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
on that note, gotta contribute: :nws: :nws:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The smartest person she knows.

This is all taking part in medieval times basically, most of them (even the lords) probably didn't get enough quality nutrition for proper brain development. Probably the show writers too, but that's another case entirely.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yestermoment posted:

One of the better bits the show did on their own is Brienne throwing down with the Hound. One of the last few moments that gave me the "this could have went well if life wasn't a lovely turn of events" feel of the first few seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUI6GxwNxk

Not surprisingly any scene especially with the fights with The Hound are amazing.

The tavern beat-down or clash of titans with Brienne had some of the better fight choreography in the whole show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ElGroucho posted:

Grrm being famous while Gene Wolfe wasn't is proof the pancreator hates our world

Probably because Book of the New Sun could never be adapted into a movie or TV show. He handles some of the same material (court intrigue, an encroaching ice age) super deftly as just background material, and even as a first-time reader I got the sense of how the entire series had been completed before any of it had been published. There's never a wasted word and it shows.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 3, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real reason why the battle strategy was so poorly planned?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

This was good actually.

"Tactically, a drone army running directly at your walls is like a loving dream."

it was kind of cathartic like a plinkett review, definitely better than the episode itself

Burns
May 10, 2008

You learned nothing Jon Snow.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
huh, ive been watching season 1 again and yeah now its more clear that it wasnt just because of honour that he didnt want to take part in sending assassins to kill dany

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Jon Snow screaming at an undead dragon: "Gol hah dov! GOL HAH DOV! GOL-HAH-DOV!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think it's hilarious how likable, well developed characters from previous seasons like Davos or The Hound are essentially reduced to extra like roles.

They really have nothing to left to do from a story point of view.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

etalian posted:

I think it's hilarious how likable, well developed characters from previous seasons like Davos or The Hound are essentially reduced to extra like roles.

They really have nothing to left to do from a story point of view.

It does say a lot. The lovely way things are explained is jarring too. Maybe I'm used to things being discovered slowly over time cause previous seasons but Jon just being like I'm Aemon Targaryen and my friend Sam said so. And then Gendry being like yeah I'm a bastard my dad's Robert Baratheon. *Shrug*

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

It does say a lot. The lovely way things are explained is jarring too. Maybe I'm used to things being discovered slowly over time cause previous seasons but Jon just being like I'm Aemon Targaryen and my friend Sam said so. And then Gendry being like yeah I'm a bastard my dad's Robert Baratheon. *Shrug*

Game of Thrones and the next two books were all about not doing poo poo the way normal fantasy does. It makes sense in the books that Bronn, (who is also cool and fun in the books) says "Man, gently caress all this bullshit" and fucks off to a castle with a fat wife, never to be seen again. But TV Fan Service Bronn needs more big moments, so I'm sure he'll show up and have some quips and witty remarks.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Game of Thrones and the next two books were all about not doing poo poo the way normal fantasy does. It makes sense in the books that Bronn, (who is also cool and fun in the books) says "Man, gently caress all this bullshit" and fucks off to a castle with a fat wife, never to be seen again. But TV Fan Service Bronn needs more big moments, so I'm sure he'll show up and have some quips and witty remarks.

wasn't there a rumor that the cersei actress hated the bronn actor and that's why he wasn't in the show as much anymore.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ArmZ posted:

wasn't there a rumor that the cersei actress hated the bronn actor and that's why he wasn't in the show as much anymore.

They had a really bad breakup apparently.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

King Robert Baratheon boned a prostitute.

20 years later their baby boy boned Arya, infusing her with Baratheon Dick Magic* that helped her crush her foes.

(*see also Stannis Baratheon's dick made a shadow that killed Renly Baratheon, whose dick made Loras Tyrell one of the greatest knights in Westeros and also led to almost everyone in the court being blown up by wildfire)

the baratheon cum shot back out of her like a jet engine, propelling her through the air at the night king

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

King Robert Baratheon boned a prostitute.

20 years later their baby boy boned Arya, infusing her with Baratheon Dick Magic* that helped her crush her foes.

(*see also Stannis Baratheon's dick made a shadow that killed Renly Baratheon, whose dick made Loras Tyrell one of the greatest knights in Westeros and also led to almost everyone in the court being blown up by wildfire)

The funny thing is the people who haven't seen the show probably think you're joking.

On another topic, something that keeps playing through my head the last few days is Brann's "Chaos is a ladder" scene last season.. ffffff I just want this show over with already

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

So many desultory plots in this Game of Thrones

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ArmZ posted:

game of thrones on and off the screen?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poverty goat posted:

the baratheon cum shot back out of her like a jet engine, propelling her through the air at the night king

The seed is strong.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Blast of Confetti posted:

dany is going to bite it because that sure ties up a loose end if youre a hack write and jon becomes king because hes the shows golden boy

How are you going to make spinoffs if succession isn't constantly in question since the queen can't have kids.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

How are you going to make spinoffs if succession isn't constantly in question since the queen can't have kids.

Great question, because she's the only person in existence who's a conniving power-hungry oval office. You just never find people like that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Where was the chain of command in their whole army? Why was every single individual solider directly taking their orders from children?

Why did the only clues about hierarchy come whenever some nameless extra shouted an order, and then we're shown that the order doesn't count until an annoying child actor immediately repeats it louder, standing by themselves screaming while all the nameless adults run by?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

ArmZ posted:

I think it is even a clause in her contract that they interact as little as possible on set.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Trast posted:

I think it is even a clause in her contract that they interact as little as possible on set.

They can't share a scene together also, as per that contract, which is why you see Bronn say to Pod at the last episode of S7: "Come on, let's gently caress off cuz I can't stand to be in the same scene as this woman IRL."

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Where was the chain of command in their whole army? Why was every single individual solider directly taking their orders from children?

Why did the only clues about hierarchy come whenever some nameless extra shouted an order, and then we're shown that the order doesn't count until an annoying child actor immediately repeats it louder, standing by themselves screaming while all the nameless adults run by?

Finally someone else who agrees! Wheres their general eisenhower?!!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CrazyLoon posted:

They can't share a scene together also, as per that contract, which is why you see Bronn say to Pod at the last episode of S7: "Come on, let's gently caress off cuz I can't stand to be in the same scene as this woman IRL."

Yeah, I wonder if they rescinded that or what because they have a scene now. Or maybe it's just been so many years and they were like eh.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

edit: Remember how much the Dothraki hated witches and wanted their blood magic nowhere near themselves
edit2: Remember when Khal Drogo died from an infected cut?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 3, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Dumb Lowtax posted:

edit: Remember how much the Dothraki hated witches and wanted their blood magic nowhere near themselves

What? Don't be stupid, Dumb Lowtax.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Remember how the Dothraki are horse archers

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The entire thing was to wipe out all the extra costumes and random poo poo that costs money.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bobby Digital posted:

Holy poo poo yes, every Dothraki wielding the exact same weapon the exact same way as if they were copy pasted from some software (they were) really did a disservice to the way they were always shown and their portrayal as a complex culture

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Glenn Quebec posted:

The entire thing was to wipe out all the extra costumes and random poo poo that costs money.

So who got to run off with the entire season budget, because they saved as much money as possible on CG as well (dark scenes, never more than one thing in the shot, few details, just the same dragon model file over and over in different poses and the same blue fire shader from S7)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Khal Drogo only died because he didn't get his cut washed out in a sewage river, then get stitched back together by some play actress.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'll bet the horses were the big thing because working with live animals is expensive and annoying.

Weird though that they didn't take the opportunity to get rid of Ghost for good.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bobby Digital posted:

The faux Mongol horde, reduced from their IRL most efficient army that ever lived counterparts, to a bunch of semi-braintarded rapists, who charge in with weapons.

Honestly, the real life mongol horde armed with dragonglass arrows would have dispatched world warz pretty loving quickly

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ghost has never really been in this. And it's the showrunners who took the money

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The same "snow" layer effect was composited overtop of every frame of the entire episode

Remove that and it would be immediately clearer just how little was in every shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

ElGroucho posted:

The faux Mongol horde, reduced from their IRL most efficient army that ever lived counterparts, to a bunch of semi-braintarded rapists, who charge in with weapons.

Honestly, the real life mongol horde armed with dragonglass arrows would have dispatched world warz pretty loving quickly

Kind of how Theons last stand worked pretty well since it was a bunch of dudes with arrows vs. a narrow entrance. If only someone could have organized everyone

A commander of sorts...who has experience in this as a Lord comm--- *Jon Snow fucks off on a dragon then sits with it near the weirwood.*