Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think im seriously leaning to the rift s. And i hate facebook and everything the company stands for ><.

$650 including shipping, considering wmr sets are still $700-800 in store. Not only is is vr2, its cheaper.

Gorn and beat sabre will probably be the main games.

BUT, the Quest, no need for pc. thats $650 for the 64gb one and means vr on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Quest is a shoo-in for me since the area around my PC is so small. With the Quest I can go in the largest room in the house and play without having to move my entire PC down there.

Wonder how it'll cope with Skyrim and Elite.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It won't

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

But they're so old and it's new

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Gort posted:

Both too old to be built in an engine that can be ported to Android and Snapdragon chip architecture. Those won't ever hit Quest.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I can play Elite just fine on the Go already. Unless ALVR doesn't get ported to the Quest for some bizarre reason, it should work.

EDIT for clarification: Sure, that's not Elite VR on-the-road, but it's great for not being tied to your computer and instead playing from the most comfortable room/seat in the house. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 3, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

Both too old to be built in an engine that can be ported to Android and Snapdragon chip architecture. Those won't ever hit Quest.

You know, for some reason I could've sworn SkyrimVR was actually on the confirmed games list. :psyduck:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Honestly if Bethesda were a competent company, they could port Skyrim VR over to the Quest and it'd be able to run great. I ran Skyrim at full 60 fps when it came out on a Core2Quad Q6600 and a GTX GTS 240. It apparently runs fine on the Switch, there's probably a way to get Skyrim working on the Quest and even be as good as non-modded Skyrim can be.

Of course, I've also played Fallout VR, so I have no illusions about Bethesda's competency. Skyrim VR was wonky without .ini settings since the scaling made the Throat of the Mountain look like a tiny hill for me which some .ini changes fixed to actually look awesome, though the port itself wasn't as shameful as Fallout. I still can't believe that they didn't have functional scopes in their release for their shooty game.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 3, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hm, I might hold off on the Quest then. VR's nice and all but most of the titles on the Quest release list don't have much longevity.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that, but it requires a green screen. I'm talking about using the mapping of a camera based inside out headset and using that info to allow an external camera to locate itself and then mask out the room without a green screen.

I believe it works with green screen *or* depth cameras (i.e. Zed or Kinect). IIIRC there was an OC4 session about making mixed reality captures that explains the different approaches.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Main issue with porting Skyrim to Quest is that the assets would need a rework to make them entirely diffuse and lighting would have to be overhauled to be static. I'd also be a bit worried about physics and AI too, they'd probably have to run at half-rate or something.

It's a lot of work. I think I'd prefer Morrowind VR anyway.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

hello, sucker who's preordered an index and knuckles here, upgrading from original wired vive though so it should be a pretty good jump up quality wise

saw some people mentioning "what if knuckles is required for whatever games valve is putting out" and i think this wont be an issue, steam's input stuff is pretty beefy and you can probably get it to fake skeletal input pretty easily, and even if its not available by default it'd be easy to mod in likely

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumb idiot question: Could I use the Knuckles with the Rift S?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Dumb idiot question: Could I use the Knuckles with the Rift S?

If you mean directly tracking them, then no. If you mean like how you can fudge it with the WMR headsets and a set of lighthouses, probably? :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you're getting Lighthouses and the Knuckles, you might as well just eat the additional cost of the Index over the Rift S kit. In return you get same PPD, but wider FOV and the option of higher refresh rates, and a guarantee that tracking won't desync.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meskhenet posted:

I think im seriously leaning to the rift s. And i hate facebook and everything the company stands for ><.

Not sure if this helps or not: All companies are bad and lovely, Facebook is just worse at hiding it than other companies. No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc etc etc.

Gort posted:

Elite is surprisingly CPU heavy. It does a ton of calculation and simulation on the CPU. You can get away with a GTX 1050 for Elite VR, but you need a decent CPU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not sure if this helps or not: All companies are bad and lovely, Facebook is just worse at hiding it than other companies. No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc etc etc.

I think in this case Valve's VR team is about as safe a proposition as you can manage. All they wanted to do was make a neat high-spec open-source headset for people to derive new VR tech from. Oculus is just forever overshadowed by Facebook, and some of the stuff they showed off at F8 is less neat VR tech and more harvesting biometric data from you.

edit: Came across an interesting opinion piece on VentureBeat about this very topic while looking up general F8 info. It goes a tad :tinfoil: in places, but it's fundamentally solid.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 3, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hellsau posted:

It apparently runs fine on the Switch, there's probably a way to get Skyrim working on the Quest and even be as good as non-modded Skyrim can be.

I believe it runs at 720p/30 on switch and drops some frames. They would have to get it to something like 1400p/72 * 2 which is a very big change. The Quest is a bit more powerful than the switch but they would need something like 1 16 times performance increase. It is doable, yes it would require a lot of shader/geo/texture simplification. But then again it's running in a custom engine so the amount of work to get it to run at extreme performance in VR might be more work than it's worth. We've also seen people run Skyrim on crazy low systems (low spec gamer) so I'm sure it could be done.

I'm sure Bethesda would consider it if a ton of Quests sell and people seem to have a high attach rate. Right now everyone expects (including me) that the Quest will sell a ton of unit and those users will buy a lot of software but it's still too early to tell.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How do the various integrated audio solutions headsets have compare to a set of moderately expensive ($100-200) headphones / iems?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, for some reason I could've sworn SkyrimVR was actually on the confirmed games list. :psyduck:

Thats an understandable mistake to make. Generally when any new hardware, console, portable, smart refrigerator, comes out skyrim is announced so you made the safe bet in assuming that.

EDIT:

SCheeseman posted:

It's a lot of work. I think I'd prefer Morrowind VR anyway.

You know, with stuff like Open morrowind, I wonder how feasible it would be to make a VR port of it, or even Oblivion since that has physics and non dice roll attacks.

Also the ethics of facebook or companies is always kind of funny to me. You produce more harm just filling up your gas tank, buying some pesticide for your garden, any electronics, or most anything due to the nature of things are sourced, rare earth mines, slaves shop conditions, environmental destruction, poisoning people. Heck, buying a fuckin' hot pocket supports a genocidal company starving and stealing water from poor people in 3rd world countries.

I guess its just, with the world we live in, facebook providing data for ads and stuff really feels like some First World Problems.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 3, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

How do the various integrated audio solutions headsets have compare to a set of moderately expensive ($100-200) headphones / iems?

Since you're asking in the VR thread I'll try to cover a few.

Vive+DAS has sounds worse than good headphones but have good bass/volume/repro. IMHO best of the integrated audio solutions listed.
Vive Pro has bad sound repro with bad bass but decent rest
Rift is open, gets loud and is OK but not nearly as good as dedicated headphones.
Go sounds OK, but I'd call it comparable to something like a game boys speakers/phone/tablet. Nearly no bass, can get pretty loud and no isolation. Much better experience than a single speaker while using Gear VR.
Quest (from my memory) about 1/2 between Rift and Go, sounds better but still not much bass.
Odyssey+ speakers better than Rift worse than Vive+DAS.

Rift S does not look likely to be good esp. compared to the Rift, no idea about the Index but it sounds likely to be better than anything else.

In general the solutions are good enough for game play but def. not for dedicated music listening if you're used to good equipment. The Vive Pro audio solution was bad enough that I preferred returning to the Vive + DAS for Beat Saber/Sound Boxing. If you haven't used VR it's hard to explain how much more convenient it is to use the integrated solution because you have to put your headphones on while blind and it adds another cord.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A few people seem to be going nuts over what the Index does. It appears that it is actually speakers and not headphones. I'm not sure what the real difference is, but you just have to move them near your ears, they don't have to clamp down onto your ears. If you're a super audiophile, that's probably not good. Assuming the drivers are good (and this seems to be the case from what people are saying), it should be good enough for most people. With the added benefit of being able to hear people yelling at you to not sprint into the wall.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stick100 posted:

Vive+DAS has sounds worse than good headphones but have good bass/volume/repro. IMHO best of the integrated audio solutions listed.
Rift is open, gets loud and is OK but not nearly as good as dedicated headphones.
Go sounds OK, but I'd call it comparable to something like a game boys speakers/phone/tablet. Nearly no bass, can get pretty loud and no isolation. Much better experience than a single speaker while using Gear VR.
Quest (from my memory) about 1/2 between Rift and Go, sounds better but still not much bass.

Rift S does not look likely to be good esp. compared to the Rift, no idea about the Index but it sounds likely to be better than anything else.

In general the solutions are good enough for game play but def. not for dedicated music listening if you're used to good equipment. The Vive Pro audio solution was bad enough that I preferred returning to the Vive + DAS for Beat Saber/Sound Boxing. If you haven't used VR it's hard to explain how much more convenient it is to use the integrated solution because you have to put your headphones on while blind and it adds another cord.

I've briefly tried both the rift and the Vive, and I can see the appeal, especially since great audio isn't really something most things need, only in a dedicated audio/visual experience could I see it really mattering, but I've always been curious. Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

A few people seem to be going nuts over what the Index does. It appears that it is actually speakers and not headphones. I'm not sure what the real difference is, but you just have to move them near your ears, they don't have to clamp down onto your ears. If you're a super audiophile, that's probably not good. Assuming the drivers are good (and this seems to be the case from what people are saying), it should be good enough for most people. With the added benefit of being able to hear people yelling at you to not sprint into the wall.

From what I understand, the point of the Index's off-ear speakers is to create more natural surround sound and make you feel more immersed by not having headphones constantly pressing against your ears or head. They also apparently have a really good sound range and nice deep bass.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
those headphones are gonna be real poo poo for situations where you are streaming to a tv for spectators with the accompanying delayed audio

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what I understand, the point of the Index's off-ear speakers is to create more natural surround sound and make you feel more immersed by not having headphones constantly pressing against your ears or head. They also apparently have a really good sound range and nice deep bass.

Also nice to not increase the head sweat by letting your ears breath, I believe they put off a lot of heat.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

With a cell phone ski mask strapped to my face and constantly trying not to trip over a magic invisible cord, the last thing I've ever though is, "these headphones sure are ruining my immersion."

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Counter viewpoint:
Having used the Rift, Vive+DAS and Vive Pro and I can say the best one out of all of them was easily the Rift.

The Vive+DAS and Vive Pro all had muddy bass, super shrill highs and the foam padding was this weird shape of slightly smaller than your ear circumference that kind of sits and floats on your ear. Both were loud as bejesus, with above 30% volume being somewhere in the range of “bring about Ragnarok and end the world” levels of volume. Sometimes the Vive liked to reset its volume to like 50% which would cause significant pain upon first doing something in game that caused a medium volume scale sound effect and having not recognized the volume was up so loud. They also felt rather chintzy in their construction and the mechanical aspects sitting on my ear.

The Rift on the other hand nailed it perfectly. Initial looks might male you think of old cheap Koss style of on ear, which is kind of how they fit, but however they are much more. Packed with an excellent driver, hinge, size and positioning, these headphones had a very even, low distortion sound reproduction profile with smooth highs and surprising, if not overly pronounced, bass. The clean high frequency reproduction is critical as lots of games end up using metal objects and metal clashing sound effects. The one area I would say the Rift headphone design suffers is that by covering your whole ear and a little over and being on-ear is that after 4+ hours some of the outside edge parts of my ear would get a touch sore.

I tried many wireless headsets trying to find better sound quality, along with Bluetooth and wired IEMs and I was never able to find something that was both practical for VR, comfortable and high sound quality. I also found that I didn’t want total sound isolation in VR, like the Oculus in-ears, it always felt too forced and artificial, though I feel that way about headphones in general.

Some of the things like Shure high end Bluetooth IEMs or AirPods were pretty close to hitting the mark but in the Shure case the audio latency was crap, and in the AirPods case the lack of the iPhone EQ profile left them feeling pretty thin in both highs and lows but at least the latency was spot on.

In my opinion the Index just overflows with examples that Valve learned from the mistakes of HTC and the lessons of Oculus’ success and audio really seems to be one of them.

The headphones being properly built into the strap is such a huge convenience factor, and the near field speaker approach is very interesting when you combine the fact that they are using Planar speaker drivers which tend to have *extremely excellent* sound reproduction quality. Plus they don’t actually rest on your ear so comfort should be extremely high, though I have concerns about mic sound bleed pickup.

June 28th can’t get here soon enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

rage-saq posted:

June 28th can’t get here soon enough.
I sure hope sooner. Some non-Paypal people said their credit cards were already charged. Mine wasn't yet. So I suppose there's already going to be a first bunch of headsets going out?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope sooner. Some non-Paypal people said their credit cards were already charged. Mine wasn't yet. So I suppose there's already going to be a first bunch of headsets going out?

I’m in the first bunch. Despite Steam struggling under the initial rush of preorders to take the shipping address I got my order in within the first 5 min. Would love to see it ship sooner.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

rage-saq posted:

The Rift on the other hand nailed it perfectly. Initial looks might male you think of old cheap Koss style of on ear, which is kind of how they fit, but however they are much more. Packed with an excellent driver, hinge, size and positioning, these headphones had a very even, low distortion sound reproduction profile with smooth highs and surprising, if not overly pronounced, bass.

People seem to have no idea how headphones work. They think that if it looks nice, it must be nice. All that matters is the driver and how it shapes the sound into your ears. The rift has great sound and it doesn't matter that it looks like lovely 90s walkman headphones.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://uploadvr.com/some-oculus-quests-shipped-early-from-walmart-but-users-cant-set-up-or-use-them/

Walmart had them the whole time! Mods knew! The piss tape is real!

It's almost a certainty that Facebook did that "smartphone required" setup just to combat supply chain leaks like this. Welcome to the brave new future where you can't use the thing you paid for until our corporate overlords say you can ;)

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Counter viewpoint:
Having used the Rift, Vive+DAS and Vive Pro and I can say the best one out of all of them was easily the Rift.

Yeah after thinking about it I would say Rift is as good but different than Vive+DAS. Sometimes you want sound isolation, sometimes you don't. Another big difference is that it's much easier to overheat in the Vive with bigger heaveir less breathable hmd + covering your ears. And yes they are both beyond extremely loud, I run about 10-25% most on both Rift and DAS.

I guess a better way to say it is I never have once thought while using the DAS or Rift that the sound could be better or was in anyway an issue. I def. had that thought while using Vive Pro, Go, and Gear VR integrated solutions. I also thought it was pain in the rear end when I have had to use seperate ear buds.

I don't really recall thinking much about the Odyssey+.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think part of the reason the Rift gets so loud is you can play with the headphones off your ears if you want, so they have to compensate for that

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gort posted:

Elite's just a bit over four years old (so well within the range of the PS4 and Xbox One) and was designed for PCs first. You're not going to find a portable system that can run it, let alone run it in VR, which can still be a trying experience for PCs even today.

Skyrim, meanwhile, can give PSVR trouble and had to be significantly scaled back visually for it to work there. The Quest is much weaker than a PS4. It's closer to a Switch, which runs Skyrim below native res at 30 FPS.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Guycot posted:

I guess its just, with the world we live in, facebook providing data for ads and stuff really feels like some First World Problems.

Facebook has assisted in multiple genocides and continues to do so.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hellsau posted:

ya

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world/europe/facebook-refugee-attacks-germany.html

quote:

Their reams of data converged on a breathtaking statistic: Wherever per-person Facebook use rose to one standard deviation above the national average, attacks on refugees increased by about 50 percent.

Nationwide, the researchers estimated in an interview, this effect drove one-tenth of all anti-refugee violence.

The uptick in violence did not correlate with general web use or other related factors; this was not about the internet as an open platform for mobilization or communication. It was particular to Facebook.

German internet infrastructure tends to be localized, making outages isolated but common. Sure enough, whenever internet access went down in an area with high Facebook use, attacks on refugees dropped significantly.

And they dropped by the same rate at which heavy Facebook use is thought to boost violence. The drop did not occur in areas with high internet usage but average Facebook usage, suggesting it is specific to social media.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zero VGS posted:

It's almost a certainty that Facebook did that "smartphone required" setup just to combat supply chain leaks like this. Welcome to the brave new future where you can't use the thing you paid for until our corporate overlords say you can ;)

It's tied to the Oculus store regardless and there's no physical media, you couldn't use the thing until Facebook flips the switch with or without the initial phone setup.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hellsau posted:

Yup, corporations are not your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Having used many audio solutions, its pretty stunning how bad the vive pro is. That being said Vive + DAS is miles better than the tinny rift headphones.