Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The final boss was the one before, the final fight is the victory lap like 7 and 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

zedprime posted:

The final boss was the one before, the final fight is the victory lap like 7 and 10

Yeah. That's why the Ifrit fight has the gold trophy pop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Probably the same thing a Met is?

Mets is short for Metropolitan, because they were originally the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zedprime posted:

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah. That's why the Ifrit fight has the gold trophy pop.

And that probably why Royal Edition added Cerberus and the three knights, as it was a boss rush that ran Prompto, Igris, and Gladious out of steam before you get to Adryn.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I know it’s fun to hate on XII, but really I think it’s my favorite of the series. Together with XV, it has the best setting and worldbuilding.

I’m playing through it again on god’s own console, the Switch and it really does a helluva job making the world seem lived in and vibrant. Especially with the bestiary fleshing out the background.

And I know I’m in the minority, but I actually like the gambit system too. I dunno, maybe I’ve got Stockholm syndrome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FFXII owns and no one should be ashamed for liking it. I am probably going to double dip and get it on the bonex even though I have it on Steam already. Because I am stupid but also because respeccing for free with Montblanc and having gambit loadouts seems really nice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ninjewtsu posted:

"Hold x and wiggle your control stick left and right rapidly while the background awkwardly shifts to different Dutch angle shots of a city" was kind of total rear end, imo. Like, probably the worst video game final boss I've ever experienced. Unlike, say, ff13's final boss he wasn't even visually interesting: I went in expecting ardyn to burst into some horrifying 100 demon amalgamation and instead he gets the same lame ghost swords vaguely floating around him that noctis does, except his are red.

It was really funny beating phase 3 "I remembered how to drink a potion so I guess I win" and turning to my buddies and saying "ok, there's no way that was the end, he's about to get back up for phase 4 and this fight is gonna turn good" and watching it just never come though

Unsatisfying endgame encounters have plagued this and previous gen.

Unless your last name is Miyazaki and your game is titled Sekiro or Bloodborne

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DrNutt posted:

FFXII owns and no one should be ashamed for liking it. I am probably going to double dip and get it on the bonex even though I have it on Steam already. Because I am stupid but also because respeccing for free with Montblanc and having gambit loadouts seems really nice.

Same as hell

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XII is my favourite single-player FF. TBF, I've only played it, IV, V, VII, XIII and XV out of those so I can't compare it to the ones that I haven't played. I also haven't gotten very far in any of those other than V, the only other SP FF I've finished.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
XII’s battle system and world are baller as gently caress, but count me as one of those who also loves the rather spartan nature of the story and characters. There’s just enough there to be really compelling without beating you over the head with the typical FF melodrama.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I've just finished my first FFXII replay since launch and have to concur with the above. The voice acting hasn't aged that well (though massive props for what they tried to do with accents and ways of speaking differing across regions/classes) but the way it expands in scope from street level, to warring politicking was a blast. The gameplay is still great too – being able to automate other team mates in combat, but not being stuck playing as one character, appeals to the lazy control freak side of me.

I might retry FFXV again, but I have to disagree with the above posts and say the wacky and hilarious comments one of your group makes in battle are a major turn off. Especially the hundredth time he has the same WHOA WILD reaction. Shame, because I think the slightly more restrained reactions and commentary from the other characters do add something.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

WaltherFeng posted:

Unsatisfying endgame encounters have plagued this and previous gen.

Unless your last name is Miyazaki and your game is titled Sekiro or Bloodborne

octopath, motherfucker

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Xenoblade 1 and 2, not X, had fantastic last bosses
Same with Botw and Mario Odyssey

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I picked up FF12 on the switch, last time I played FF12 was emulating the japanese ijzs fan translated version like 6-7 years ago and really liking it. I haven't started yet, question is, wouldn't having two jobs/license boards at the same time make your characters really, really OP come mid-late game or did the nerf the original license boards slightly to compensate for having two?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slider posted:

I picked up FF12 on the switch, last time I played FF12 was emulating the japanese ijzs fan translated version like 6-7 years ago and really liking it. I haven't started yet, question is, wouldn't having two jobs/license boards at the same time make your characters really, really OP come mid-late game or did the nerf the original license boards slightly to compensate for having two?
You get really OP. Maybe more, maybe not as much as you're thinking. The passive tiles are shared, like you get a stat boost tile and it's in both jobs, you just get it once. And you can only wear so much gear at once and the action economy means more actions isn't necessarily better.

Some of the combos are pretty insane though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You are a liar if you say that you think FFXII is the best FF when you say that you've also played VII. 7 is easily the best, it always has been and it always will be, it broke new ground.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

You are a liar if you say that you think FFXII is the best FF when you say that you've also played VII. 7 is easily the best, it always has been and it always will be, it broke new ground.

Counterpoint: I’m Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gologle posted:

The new ground was not yet ready to be broken and those polygons look worse than Star Fox.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

I gotta say, now I'm giving FFXV a chance, some things bug me more than they used to.

turn off all hud and numbers. fight with your burning spirit

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Gologle posted:

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Awesome. Awesome awesome. FF7 is the best FF for never failing to embolden the most absurd people on the internet. I'm fairly certain that guy is joking but you never really know with FF7 fans, making it the best FF.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gologle posted:

I've only gotten VII about a decade after its release and bounced off it several times, never getting further than the boss fight on top of that pillar in Midgar. I'm giving it another shake with controller this time, but in comparison I've actually nearly finished XII TZA, so yeah, I think I can say that ATM I like XII more. If I ever finish VII results may change, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kalm sequence in VII is both a super clever usage of the medium and absolutely sloglike. Then you do it again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
When deciding on The Best Final Fantasies I can never judge solely on one scale. I feel like, while both are important to have to some degree, you have to decide on a Mechanically Best and a Narratively Best.

For my money, V will always be Mechanically Best. There's a reason we have the Four Job Fiesta, and it's because FFV has a dozen ways to play and they're all completely valid, mechanically solid and in some way viable. And that's an impressive feat. It has enough of a story to keep itself going without seeming like a flimsy as hell excuse for adventure, and that's it, which is all it ever needed.

I think Narratively Best will always come down to personal tastes. Different games will come to the forefront depending on if you like some political intrigue (the Ivalice games), rumination on big and unanswerable questions (IX), interpersonal relationships (X, XV I guess) or any number of other story focuses. Personally, my pick for Narratively Best wavers between VII and X depending on how much I'm in the mood for the weirder poo poo they put on the table, but I admit X holds together better as a game that you play these days.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

13 is the best mechanically, followed by X-2, followed by V.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
funnily enough the reason i like ff9 is because while it sometimes dwells on philosophical questions one of the constant answers offered is zidane's "don't even worry about that poo poo let's just do it"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the biggest barrier to me was trying to play without using a controller. Once I started doing that on my PC versions I've been having a lot more fun (except XIV, I'm way too used to kbm on that).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Chrono Trigger has the best story. Five or twelve are my faves mechanically. Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are both incredibly solid and hold up better than people expect. Fight me.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Zidane is the best protagonist in any FF game because he just goes around making new friends and helping them protect the things they care about--even the main antagonist

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

HD DAD posted:

Counterpoint: I’m Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca

Don't believe Ondore's lies

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy poo poo I just realized that the floating island the Marquiz rules over in FF12 is literally Cloud City from Star Wars Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back. All this time people have been telling me that Ivalice rips off Game of Thrones, when the real answer was Star Wars.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This negotiation in Altissia cracked me up. The game pops up a text message and says "hey these negotiations are important so try to be regal and don't screw it up" and then the dialogue choices are like "be regal" "be an rear end in a top hat" "make a sarcastic joke"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

13 is the best mechanically, followed by X-2, followed by V.

I was so disappointed going back to ATB after the turn based system in X.

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized that the floating island the Marquiz rules over in FF12 is literally Cloud City from Star Wars Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back. All this time people have been telling me that Ivalice rips off Game of Thrones, when the real answer was Star Wars.

I've only ever heard Star Wars. I feel like it works too well to not be intentional.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Holy poo poo if you beat Cerberus in Royal Edition it’s an instant game over.

Edit I played it again and you seen the next boss and it’s game over wtf. Worse ending than when x-com 2 crashed loading the final level and I just said duck it I won

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 4, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really like FFX's turn based combat and swapping out the characters in the battle, irs just the system and encounters arent particularly deep or engaging.

I will say it has some rude puzzle bosses in the main story.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 4, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every now and then I feel like replaying FF10, but then I remember that it has no cutscene skip in any version of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Poor boy from a backwater kingdom dreams of taking to the skies and, gets wrapped up in rescuing a princess along with a dashing smuggler and his bestial companion. All it's missing are the laser swords.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess I forgot the part in Star Wars where they find out that everything is being manipulated behind the scenes by god-like beings, and Princess Leia realizes that she needs to let go of her dead husband and the anger that's driving her.

It's a surface-level similarity and nothing more. There are a million other movies and games that have surface-level similarities with Star Wars because it's such a cultural touchstone.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

everything is being manipulated behind the scenes by god-like beings,
force ghosts

quote:

and Princess Leia luke realizes that she needs to let go of her dead husband his dead father and the anger that's driving her him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well poo poo, I guess every single work of fiction can be a ripoff of Star Wars if you fudge things around like that hard enough.