Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Best Friends posted:

They keep showing Jon be a terrible leader but telling us he's great. Just like they keep showing us Dany being a psycho willing to do any cruelty to commoners for power but telling us she's kind and just.

Nothing Cersei has done is as evil as dropping 50k dothraki on westeros but I don't think the ethical implication of that got mentioned once.

Basically there is a divergence in what they show and what they describe in a weird way.

Well - she did blow up the Sept and most of the neighborhood around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

They keep showing Jon be a terrible leader but telling us he's great. Just like they keep showing us Dany being a psycho willing to do any cruelty to commoners for power but telling us she's kind and just.

Nothing Cersei has done is as evil as dropping 50k dothraki on westeros but I don't think the ethical implication of that got mentioned once.

Basically there is a divergence in what they show and what they describe in a weird way.

Uh Cersei has ordered a bunch of murders, prolonged a couple wars, blew up a religious institution, was stockpiling an incredibly volatile substance under Kings Landing which put the entire city in peril, and has a loving zombie bodyguard. She also killed her husband and has plotted to kill her remaining siblings. She also regularly bangs members of her family for whatever reason.

Dany is fighting a war of reclamation against a country that has already torn itself apart fighting one another. I don't think her position is any more morally suspect than any of the individuals who declared themselves king.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Let's not forget baby executions throughout the city.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Godholio posted:

And sending bounty hunters to kill and behead dwarves

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

That was Joeffry and Janos Slynt. Tyrion even shits on her for being unable to control her son.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uh Cersei has ordered a bunch of murders, prolonged a couple wars, blew up a religious institution, was stockpiling an incredibly volatile substance under Kings Landing which put the entire city in peril, and has a loving zombie bodyguard. She also killed her husband and has plotted to kill her remaining siblings. She also regularly bangs members of her family for whatever reason.

Dany is fighting a war of reclamation against a country that has already torn itself apart fighting one another. I don't think her position is any more morally suspect than any of the individuals who declared themselves king.

how many murders and rapes are 50,000 dothraki doing every day? They're just not on camera. How many more peasants are getting eaten by her unchained dragons? The camera shows us very little of Danny's cruelty, but it's on a massive scale and she doesn't care.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

how many murders and rapes are 50,000 dothraki doing every day? They're just not on camera. How many more peasants are getting eaten by her unchained dragons? The camera shows us very little of Danny's cruelty, but it's on a massive scale and she doesn't care.

Pretty sure those are the norm for these armies given that Gregor Clegane was commanding forces for a while and he is a real rape enthusiast (tm)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yo, something that just occurred to me

Qyburn saved up some hand of the zombie dude they brought in from beyond the wall.

What if that sly Motherfucker worked out the formula to have the dead walk the earth?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

do one of return of the king and the two towers next

As every military historian knows, all successful magical assaults have involved wizards in the support role, back with the ballistae.

Positioning Gandalf up front to lead a cavalry charge was pure Hollywood nonsense and just lazy writing. In this manifesto, I will (1/47)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
(672/672) furthermore, as someone who attended the National War College, I cannot suspend my disbelief for this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
sir, this is a Wendys

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yo, something that just occurred to me

Qyburn saved up some hand of the zombie dude they brought in from beyond the wall.

What if that sly Motherfucker worked out the formula to have the dead walk the earth?

Nope, he picks it up and has a look and then Jon takes it off him and burns it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was Joeffry and Janos Slynt. Tyrion even shits on her for being unable to control her son.

You think she spoke up against it when the plan was formed? Naaaaaah. Her reaction when Tyrion calls her out makes it clear she was on board with infanticide.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Pretty sure those are the norm for these armies given that Gregor Clegane was commanding forces for a while and he is a real rape enthusiast (tm)

The norm for Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Targaryans. I don't see the Tyrells, Starks, or Martells doing that.

It's also likely that Dany's cities in Slaver's Bay are suffering shortages of food and other supplies, since the slave-holding cities they have to trade with to survive don't really want to go anywhere near there.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Godholio posted:

You think she spoke up against it when the plan was formed? Naaaaaah. Her reaction when Tyrion calls her out makes it clear she was on board with infanticide.

Also pretty sure she was the one that was behind it due to the prophecy that foretold of the bastards by her husband.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm betting that the only ones left standing are Tyrion and Bronn

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Arya gonna save the hound then die killing the mountain. I want to say she’ll kill Cersei, but I think that’ll be Jamie

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How much wildfire does Cersei have left? She could push the nuclear button and just kill everyone off including herself if there's enough to blow up the Red Keep. It's not below her, she was about to poison herself and her kid at the Battle of the Blackwater.

And then Tormund and Bronn take joint custody of the throne :getin:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cersei is definitely gonna almost win, a dragon will die; a few of our heroes as well

Not sure on Euron and his teleporting fleet.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They are absolutely going to get hosed up bad, I'd wager by dragon fire and that that is how one of them goes down.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

A Bad Poster posted:

How much wildfire does Cersei have left? She could push the nuclear button and just kill everyone off including herself if there's enough to blow up the Red Keep. It's not below her, she was about to poison herself and her kid at the Battle of the Blackwater.

And then Tormund and Bronn take joint custody of the throne :getin:

The Mad King ordered it to be placed under the entire city. Cersei only blew up the Cept of Balor, so the wildfire caches under the rest of the city should still be intact. Though Tyrion might have had the head pyromancer take some of that out, even though he did order them to make a lot more barrels.

It doesn't matter because the writers can make up whatever they want, logic or previous shows be damned.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did your hours of watching YouTube videos about screenwriting tell you that?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just got caught up, that felt like a giant video game battle, like something from the original Dawn of War.

Except the end, anyways.

BUT WAIT

IT'S ARYA, COMING IN THE RING

WITH A VALYRIAN STEEL CHAIR

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Did your hours of watching YouTube videos about screenwriting tell you that?

Lol

I'm glad you're enjoying the show. Doesn't mean it couldn't be written better.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It hit me a bit late, especially after I already said I originally expected the battle of living vs. dead to be like three episodes to close out the show, but we've essentially had 7 seasons of build-up for the White Walkers to gently caress poo poo up, and then they're waxed in a single episode after having spent like half an episode loving up even the remotest bit of Westeros since breaking through the wall.

I'd say the crown of "wettest-fart failure post-huge-buildup" safely passes from Stannis to the Night King.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
After thinking on it, I'm really disappointed by the producers' post show bit where they say that they thought they had to give Lyanna Mormont a worthwhile, deserving death. The thing that I really liked about the early seasons of the show, what made it good and suspenseful, was that who lived or died, and how they died, wasn't tied to audience expectations, or fan favoritism, or whether they deserved it. You can write a great show about the wicked being unpunished, I submit Breaking Bad as an example.

Should have had her get swept aside by the giant, then come back briefly as a wight.

The Rat posted:

IT'S ARYA, COMING IN THE RING

WITH A VALYRIAN STEEL CHAIR
lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It hit me a bit late, especially after I already said I originally expected the battle of living vs. dead to be like three episodes to close out the show, but we've essentially had 7 seasons of build-up for the White Walkers to gently caress poo poo up, and then they're waxed in a single episode after having spent like half an episode loving up even the remotest bit of Westeros since breaking through the wall.

I'd say the crown of "wettest-fart failure post-huge-buildup" safely passes from Stannis to the Night King.

The main focus of the show has always been the human politics. The dead were always the "other" issue.

Dead Reckoning posted:

After thinking on it, I'm really disappointed by the producers' post show bit where they say that they thought they had to give Lyanna Mormont a worthwhile, deserving death. The thing that I really liked about the early seasons of the show, what made it good and suspenseful, was that who lived or died, and how they died, wasn't tied to audience expectations, or fan favoritism, or whether they deserved it. You can write a great show about the wicked being unpunished, I submit Breaking Bad as an example.

This I agree with, although hearing her armor/bones get crushed was pretty metal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

having watched the long night again, the night king got suckered into that same trap as every other supervillain ever: monologuing.

sure, he didn't speak, but he was taking his time, savouring his victory, knowing that no bastard could touch him, until welp

get rekt idiot

i mean seriously he was standing over bran for a while, he could have just wasted him with an ice javelin and been done but he just had to go for the personal touch and get in close and stare him down

as far as the dragon fight goes i still had a really hard time following who was attacking who

it was pretty clear that the dead dragon got part of its jaw ripped off, but i still can't see what happened to make jon's dragon fall out of the sky

the episode may have been short on tactics but it was long on cool imagery

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This guy makes really good video essays and captures a poo poo ton of stuff that was wrong with this episode.

https://youtu.be/GI7zy1PTMp0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

having watched the long night again, the night king got suckered into that same trap as every other supervillain ever: monologuing.

sure, he didn't speak, but he was taking his time, savouring his victory, knowing that no bastard could touch him, until welp

get rekt idiot

i mean seriously he was standing over bran for a while, he could have just wasted him with an ice javelin and been done but he just had to go for the personal touch and get in close and stare him down

as far as the dragon fight goes i still had a really hard time following who was attacking who

it was pretty clear that the dead dragon got part of its jaw ripped off, but i still can't see what happened to make jon's dragon fall out of the sky

the episode may have been short on tactics but it was long on cool imagery

The dead dragon takes most of the damage. It spends the majority of it’s time trying to bite jon. His dragon gets clawed the gently caress up and gets knocked silly when Dany flies in and smacks the wightdragon.

Jon’s dragon didn’t die. Just got injured and took off without him.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Lyanna Mormont stabbing the giant in the eye reminded me a lot of a similar scene in Alita

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TBF, he's been doing the Michael Meyers/Jason Voorhees slow, inexorable, menacing walk forward for the entire series.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
My prediction:

Jamie is going to die heroically saving somebody’s rear end (probably Sansa). Arya is going to take his face, get close to and kill Cersei, then take the throne. (I’m not like a huge GoT nerd so I don’t know the conditions of taking someone’s face. Do you have to actually be the one to kill them or can they just be dead by some other means?) This will cause turmoil between Dany and Jon. Final showdown will be Dany and Arya.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm holding out for Qyburn having a Robocop-style directive in the Mountain that protects him from his own monster, and that Cersei will get irked by something her pet mad scientist did or failed to do, tries to have him executed, and then gets Kingslayered by said Mountain.

What are the Vegas odds on the vision Dany had of the Iron Throne getting dragonfire slagged coming true?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Jamie throttling Cersei to death right before The Mountain hacks him in half

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Sarah posted:

My prediction:

Jamie is going to die heroically saving somebody’s rear end (probably Sansa). Arya is going to take his face, get close to and kill Cersei, then take the throne. (I’m not like a huge GoT nerd so I don’t know the conditions of taking someone’s face. Do you have to actually be the one to kill them or can they just be dead by some other means?) This will cause turmoil between Dany and Jon. Final showdown will be Dany and Arya.

I think either Jamie or Tyrion are gonna die due to the hit Cersei put out on them. I doubt both will eat it, and I have no clue which one is more probable to die, because on the one hand, Jamie dying would leave Tyrion in place to act as consigliere for whoever assumes the throne after Cersei dies (I'm kinda banking on this happening), but then again, I also had a previous prediction of one of each pair of roles surviving, so Davos could probably take the place of hand to the King / Queen. And Tyrion could also easily die in some moment that has Bronn "realizing the flaws of his ways" or some poo poo in the final moment. That'd also give the producers a chance to provide one of those closure-moments for his character arc of eating poo poo for the entirety of his life and then going out in a redemptive blaze of glory or something. Maybe by saving Jamie after him and Brienne finally find love (tm).

Could be literally anything, and I'm fine with that.

I'm still assuming that the show is going to have an end that leaves literally not a single fan satisfied, like, legit heartbreaking ending that sends the nation into two weeks of social media grieving before realizing they live under a Trump administration.
Hell, Cersei might survive this thunderdome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBF, he's been doing the Michael Meyers/Jason Voorhees slow, inexorable, menacing walk forward for the entire series.

They filmed a lot of (or all I can't recall) of the battle in 96fps. It's deliberately slow motion for effect. It's the only time they've ever done it in the series, but that last scene isn't real time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I meant more that the Night King hasn't been in a hurry to anything the entire series, so IDK why someone would think he'd be quick about killing Bran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

They filmed a lot of (or all I can't recall) of the battle in 96fps. It's deliberately slow motion for effect. It's the only time they've ever done it in the series, but that last scene isn't real time.

yeah i know that, point being he could have hurled an ice javelin the moment he could see bran instead of going in for the personal touch

he dumb af is what i'm saying

Bored As gently caress posted:

This guy makes really good video essays and captures a poo poo ton of stuff that was wrong with this episode.

https://youtu.be/GI7zy1PTMp0

lol just let it go dude

Dead Reckoning posted:

I meant more that the Night King hasn't been in a hurry to anything the entire series, so IDK why someone would think he'd be quick about killing Bran.
i'm saying he's more of an initimidating villian than an effective one, i think he needs to go back to villain school