Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blockhouse posted:

Sometimes what an author says about their work and what the work actually says are two completely different things

See, for example, the Rising of the Shield Hero's author many attempts to act like he's not writing a story where the protagonist is directly complicity in slavery

The 10% of the time Death of the Author is valid is specifically for throwing bigoted poo poo back at the author, yes.

Like reading Ender as gay in Ender's Game to spite Orson Scott Card's homophobic rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Like reading Ender as gay in Ender's Game to spite Orson Scott Card's homophobic rear end.

That's not how it works

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

And yet, Ender is gay now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Roth posted:

Now?

Nay, always

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rwby's alright btw

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Ya it’s decent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

The 10% of the time Death of the Author is valid is specifically for throwing bigoted poo poo back at the author, yes.

FWIW Card lays so much of the foundation for that reading that the whole situation seems like a full on Springtime for Hitler on his part.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Roth posted:

Wait, the last time I checked he was literally trying to shack up with his tulpa waifu, did they pivot on that?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I had to read The Jungle, 1984, Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, and Anthem in high school. Out of those the last two I'm shocked are still required curriculum.
I also loathed highschool whenever everyone else wouldn't shut up about Twilight, Jersey Shore, Kardashians or Hunger Games, while I was like "...But Libya!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Grouchio posted:

I had to read The Jungle, 1984, Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, and Anthem in high school. Out of those the last two I'm shocked are still required curriculum.
I also loathed highschool whenever everyone else wouldn't shut up about Twilight, Jersey Shore, Kardashians or Hunger Games, while I was like "...But Libya!"

Don't worry, I'm not like those other girls.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grouchio posted:

its really cool that u cared about libya instead of tv showd and movies, imho.....u must be a rly great guy, irl.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never cared for South Park growing up and I still don't see it now. Granted, at 10- shocked that I was allowed to watch it- I had a I enjoy Family Guy phase for a bit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Emalde posted:

Wait, the last time I checked he was literally trying to shack up with his tulpa waifu, did they pivot on that?

Wait, Card made even more of that series that someone read?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, Card made even more of that series that someone read?

There are nineteen books in the Enderverse, a short story collection, and then a bunch of short stories published on his website and other various places.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neo_Crimson posted:

You do not understand what death of the author is much less how it is used.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not sure about this "murder all authors" thing, seems like it could have some pushback

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

I'm not sure about this "murder all authors" thing, seems like it could have some pushback

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Man i have no loving idea whatsoever what Woolie is trying to argue in the podcast segment about crunch, dude is taking like a dozen contradictory positions

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got more angry at the comic talk.
Woolie "Marvel Comics should not have sold movie rights in order to avoid bankruptcy because it made things a bit inconvenient 20 years later, clearly a blunder." Madden
and
Pat (endgame spoilers) "Incapable of understanding DBZ Time Travel" Boivin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should not have made literally the worst contract agreement in history, yes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, it saved them from bankruptcy.

If anything, what they shouldn't have done is exploit the speculator market until it crashed in the 90s.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They were also a comic book publisher in the 90's. Clawing out of bankruptcy is more important than future visioning that they'd get into movies somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sure they could have negotiated a deal that wasn't the Worst, Ever, No Seriously Though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure they could have negotiated a deal that wasn't the Worst, Ever, No Seriously Though

With what leverage?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My big frustration was that Woolie spread the myth that fair labor would make an iPhone cost 2000 dollars and not like, 20 dollars more.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My big frustration was that Woolie spread the myth that fair labor would make an iPhone cost 2000 dollars and not like, 20 dollars more.

Yeah seriously he gets so close to realizing that these companies suck and capitalism is bad and then swerves right into gushing about how jeff amazon and tim apple are so smart

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i feel it's relevant to note that, per a recent Wonderful 101 video, Woolie believes in spontaneous human combustion

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah seriously he gets so close to realizing that these companies suck and capitalism is bad and then swerves right into gushing about how jeff amazon and tim apple are so smart
It's bad to generalize all companies and capitalists as equally terrible; some are better than others at PR. Some CEOs are nobler in views and/or goals than others. It's why we don't poo poo on Platinum like we poo poo on EA.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

It's bad to generalize all companies and capitalists as equally terrible; some are better than others at PR. Some CEOs are nobler in views and/or goals than others. It's why we don't poo poo on Platinum like we poo poo on EA.

Nah, gently caress them

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

No he doesn't? He basically said "I don't know I'm an irrelevant Youtuber maybe these 'captains of industry :jerkbag:' know better".

I don't know how you get that he's gushing about Tim Apple and Zuc the Robot, while calling them Tim Apple and Zuc the Robot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Grouchio posted:

Go lick boots somewhere else

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yeah seriously he gets so close to realizing that these companies suck and capitalism is bad

Go lick boots somewhere else

sir, this is a mcdonalds

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Emalde posted:

sir, this is a mcdonalds

People keep saying this, and I've never been given my mcGriddle.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grouchio posted:

It's almost as if there is a difference between a smaller company that is in fact effectively at the behest of a larger one, and that there's a clear disparity of how much money each company has! Weird, maybe its almost like the companies that put out multi-million-dollar hits every drat year should be held more accountable than a company who almost got ratfucked into bankruptcy because another company wanted to buy them up.

gently caress off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie and Pat are finally off break and streaming RE2 again. They're pretty far.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Finally, some good loving McMuscles kontent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWL-jQPAbA

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
One day, technology will advance far enough to replace all of Woolie's content on both the podcast, his twitter and his channel with an extended jerkoff emote.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was about to stan woolie because of his wonderful 101 lp, but I just got to the part where he has to fill a meter to shoot a laser and he keeps trying to do the laser, unable to understand what a meter is apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Pat: Heck yeah, I love to litter
Also Pat: *Reasonably in-depth knowledge about the workings of nuclear power plants and nuclear waste disposal, and how even with the handful of historical disasters it's still much less environmentally harmful than carbon-based energy*

In conclusion, Pat is a gnome of contrasts.