Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

So, Kylo Ren's 'Finish what you started' back in TFA is going to mean, like, Vader killing Palpatine, right? Ren'll say that he always knew Snoke was Palpatine and that'll lead to the redemption story.

It's. Like. Poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

So, Kylo Ren's 'Finish what you started' back in TFA is going to mean, like, Vader killing Palpatine, right? Ren'll say that he always knew Snoke was Palpatine and that'll lead to the redemption story.

Redemption of what? He just keep killing his father figures. He was 2 second away from killing mom too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Sheev laughs for two seconds in the teaser and now every leak is saying that this laugh is the key to everything. Sheev's the most important character in the film!!!

The Force Awakens teaser had a clip of Luke Skywalker, edited to say "the force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it... You have it too." That's the origin of basically every single "Rey's parents" speculation, fake leak or rumor you've ever heard. Luke must be talking about Rey, so how is he related to Rey?!!

Problem is that the dialogue there is referring to Kylo. The teaser was made back when "Luke is Kylo's uncle" was still intended a big third-act plot twist. So, like a ton of shots and dialogue in the trailers, it never actually ended up in the film at all.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

That sounds loving dumb if only because everyone know's that not what they were going for when he originally said that and that this is just an asspull.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

crowoutofcontext posted:

I know that he's headed toward some sort of redemption but I don't see how they can square it with him committing patricide, attempt matricide and a bunch of galactic genocides to trick empire into letting his guard down. I guess its going to be "without the love of Rey" I wouldn't have turned good, just like Vader seemingly wouldnt have turned without the spectacle of his son?
With as much as Abrams has understood Lucas's OT story, I can see the visual turning point being Kylo looking down at his real gloved hand and then tossing his lightsaber aside.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cheesus posted:

With as much as Abrams has understood Lucas's OT story, I can see the visual turning point being Kylo looking down at his real gloved hand and then tossing his lightsaber aside.

I can’t begin to express how much I want this to happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kylo and Rey team up to kill Palpatine’s physical incarnation, and then Luke, Yoda, Anankin, and Obi-Wan team up to kill his ghost

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to see Rey and Kylo bicker about who gets to kill Palpatine, who eventually goes "Screw this" and throws himself over the railing to end his suffering

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait to see Rey and Kylo bicker about who gets to kill Palpatine, who eventually goes "Screw this" and throws himself over the railing to end his suffering

theyll have a periscoped live debate over whether killing palpy is a light side or dark side move

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is this movie going to bomb or what?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

No, but it might do Last Jedi numbers or a little worse (i.e., a lot of money but not all of the money)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shaocaholica posted:

It's pretty much impossible for it to bomb.

Like, just the sheer amount of advertising (the previous episodes are themselves feature-length ads for this one) guarantees an audience. Worst-case scenario for Disney is an Amazing Spiderman 2 kind of situation where the film "only" makes 800 million.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't think it was possible for Solo to bomb either, but it had a lot going against it that Rise of Skywalker won't (:effort: marketing campaign, coming out in a crowded market only a few months after an ambivalently-received TLJ, a who-cares premise, a year of negative press)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Or what.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

I didn't think it was possible for Solo to bomb either, but it had a lot going against it that Rise of Skywalker won't (:effort: marketing campaign, coming out in a crowded market only a few months after an ambivalently-received TLJ, a who-cares premise, a year of negative press)

Solo bombed (sorta) because they doubled the budget and barely marketed it. The first trailer came out 3 months before the release date.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
#releasethelordandmillercut

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh there was a whole announcement and everything: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' partners with the best brand possible: Solo cups https://mashable.com/2018/03/06/solo-star-wars-cup/

"There is no victory sweeter than landing a great branding partnership."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So begins the Journey to The Rise of Skywalker

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sorry to dredge up the chat about that Vader comic, but from everything I read stating how awful it is, it's never mentioned that the nurse has been keeping a curio box of Vader's dead skin and bloody cyborg parts in her quarters. That is not normal by any stretch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that fandom got upset since so many think Harley Quinn is a picture of sanity and romance.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
male writer writing a woman to OWN THE FANGIRLS by making her crazy doesn't make it any better when the male writer makes her more of a psychopath

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sorry to dredge up the chat about that Vader comic, but from everything I read stating how awful it is, it's never mentioned that the nurse has been keeping a curio box of Vader's dead skin and bloody cyborg parts in her quarters. That is not normal by any stretch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that fandom got upset since so many think Harley Quinn is a picture of sanity and romance.

What are you trying to say here cause I’m not getting it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

Would 100% watch a Star Wars remake that takes place in depressed, small town Midwestern America.

...or Afghanistan.

e: John Hawkes for Old Ben, the burnout alcoholic living in a shack on the edge of town who vowed to watch out for his shithead war buddy's kid.

No Country for Old Jedi

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Neo Rasa posted:

No Country for Old Jedi

This would be a great movie and I'd watch the living poo poo out of it

I mean it's all right there. Brolin as the Solo-type in over his head with a Twi'lek wife, old jedi Tommy Lee Jones who hasn't turned on his lightsaber in 40 years, some crazy-rear end sith with a bad haircut walking up to people and lightsabering into their brains

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Better yet, he's not a Sith, just regular Chigurh.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"What's the most you ever lost on a chance cube roll?"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DeimosRising posted:

What are you trying to say here cause I’m not getting it

Certainly and I do apologize for not being clearer.

The main point I've seen is the nurse is a slam against the fangirls. From what we see of the nurse's actions, she fantasizes about him to the point of even fantasizing her being a Sith. That's common to the point of being no big deal. But to her fantasizing isn't enough, she's collecting his dead skin and bloody cyborg components when he goes to the doctor. That's not normal fangirling. That's more in common with the extreme end of things where fandom goes from appreciating into the unnerving. From the articles I've read, the collecting his biowaste isn't mentioned. Could it be I just haven't read enough articles? Possible. As Vader's killed everyone save the Emperor for seeing him without his helmet at this point in time, it was kinda inevitable she was going to die. It also isn't the first time Vader's shown total disdain towards someone he's killed regardless of gender.

She's a sad and tragic figure, and we should feel sad with how her life ended, but I don't see her as an insult against fangirls unless there's been something specific said somewhere from the writer that she is an insult of which then I will apologize further.

My point about Harley Quinn is so many interpret her as a romantic figure in an adoring relationship when she's really in nothing of the sort and people get upset when you mention here's exactly how and why it's unhealthy. It's like people have come up with their own fantasy that ignores the abusiveness and have believed in it for so long they don't want to hear otherwise. That the people claiming the nurse is an insult to fangirls are only seeing the fantasy aspect and not the unnerving aspect comes across to me like they don't want to acknowledge that part or don't see a problem with it. Am I reading too much into this? Again, Possible. I've seen plenty of very messed up stuff in fandom over the years regardless of gender.

I hope this clarified further and if anyone's got links proving otherwise, I will definitely apologize.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I saw the nurse as a slam not against fangirls in particular but obsessive fans in general. She idolizes someone she doesn't even begin to understand and constructs her own version of reality before ever really engaging with her idol. Vader killing her is like a rejection of fans who want new Star Wars content to fit their headcanon before ever actually watching it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If there are fans who want to gently caress Darth Vader, they deserve to be made fun of

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think part of it, even beyond the obvious misogyny, is how stupid a choice like "Vader kills Everyone who sees his face" is to make for the character. Why the hell would he care?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I saw the nurse as a slam not against fangirls in particular but obsessive fans in general. She idolizes someone she doesn't even begin to understand and constructs her own version of reality before ever really engaging with her idol. Vader killing her is like a rejection of fans who want new Star Wars content to fit their headcanon before ever actually watching it.

"It's not about all fangirls, just the bad fans in general (who just happens to be personified hereas a very particular fangirl stereotype (that has cooties!))!" is a bad take.

Why the gently caress is some officially sanctioned product picking a fight about who does or doesn't count as a "real" fan? That's for Cinema Discusso to decide, especially me.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

From what I can tell, the fandom by and large actually loves that comic. For every upset tweet about it, there are like dozens of "this owns" comments wherever it's posted. Those that don't like it mostly think it's stupid that Star Wars now has something called "yandere", which is probably one of those anime terms I'm better off not looking up.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's a loving Ben Garrison comic in Star Wars form.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Schwarzwald posted:

"It's not about all fangirls, just the bad fans in general (who just happens to be personified hereas a very particular fangirl stereotype (that has cooties!))!" is a bad take.

No subsection of fandom has a monopoly on myopic fantasizing and fetishization. Especially considering the howling that went on after episode 8 was released.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mameluke posted:

I think part of it, even beyond the obvious misogyny, is how stupid a choice like "Vader kills Everyone who sees his face" is to make for the character. Why the hell would he care?

It ruins the image that he's invincible - the Empire thrives on its image of impregnability and despite what Rebels and other pre-ANH material may lead you to believe, the Empire is a strong force to be reckoned with, and it usually puts down rebellious uprisings before they can truly ignite

Then 3-4 years before ANH, their grip begins to slip and cracks begin to form which culminate in the destruction of the Death Star and planets all over the galaxy under Imperial rule rebelling against their Empire

And as we see in ESB, they're still a force to be feared and it takes the death of the Emperor and his right hand to truly quash their rule, resulting in the Empire capitulating a year after Endor

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

The writer can't cum unless a stupid woman dies being stupid.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mameluke posted:

Well, you know, it's true to his character. Remember in ESB when Piett accidentally walks in on him while he's helmet-less, and he... um... does nothing about it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Angry Salami posted:

Well, you know, it's true to his character. Remember in ESB when Piett accidentally walks in on him while he's helmet-less, and he... um... does nothing about it?

People seeing the back of his head is fine, apparently.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth Vader hates eye contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
when are we gonna see a fuckin green light saber in this trilogy