Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I use the Monoprice ZWave door sensors (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24259). 5 are reporting 100% battery after 7 months and 1 had batteries replaced last week. They all have the same settings (including only wake on open/close), they are all within 10 feet of a powered ZWave switch/repeater. It's a mystery why the one is draining more. Other than that, they work flawlessly. They are compatible with SmartThings although I have them setup with Home Assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My GoControl Z-Wave door/motion sensors have been going for years on the same batteries.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Holy crap, looking at my Amazon orders, I've had some of these sensors a lot longer than I thought..

This is my oldest one that is on my Garage Door. It was my first ZWave device, ordered in March of 2015. Still going on the original included CR123 battery. 61%!

It only sees 4-6 activations a day. And it looks like the wake up time is every 4 hours. I could probably set that timer to longer, but its been working fine like that for years apparently.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Decairn posted:

I use the Monoprice ZWave door sensors (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24259). 5 are reporting 100% battery after 7 months and 1 had batteries replaced last week. They all have the same settings (including only wake on open/close), they are all within 10 feet of a powered ZWave switch/repeater. It's a mystery why the one is draining more. Other than that, they work flawlessly. They are compatible with SmartThings although I have them setup with Home Assistant.

How do you interface Z-Wave to Home Assistant? Are you using a USB adapator? I'm not sure i can do that as i run Home Assistant on my Synology NAS in a docker.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slash posted:

How do you interface Z-Wave to Home Assistant? Are you using a USB adapator? I'm not sure i can do that as i run Home Assistant on my Synology NAS in a docker.

If your Synology has a USB port it should be possible to pass it in to the docket container. (If not, I have seen people do things with USB serialized over Ethernet and the Zwave adapter on a Pi remote from the HA machine, but it seems to be a slight hassle/not 100% stable.)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

stevewm posted:

Holy crap, looking at my Amazon orders, I've had some of these sensors a lot longer than I thought..

This is my oldest one that is on my Garage Door. It was my first ZWave device, ordered in March of 2015. Still going on the original included CR123 battery. 61%!

It only sees 4-6 activations a day. And it looks like the wake up time is every 4 hours. I could probably set that timer to longer, but its been working fine like that for years apparently.

I had heard a SWAG that your average well designed Li CR123 battery powered z-wave plus sensor device (specifically the ActionTech MultiSensor 5 in this case) would last about 2 years, maybe a bit less if exposed to outdoor elements.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kalman posted:

(If not, I have seen people do things with USB serialized over Ethernet and the Zwave adapter on a Pi remote from the HA machine, but it seems to be a slight hassle/not 100% stable.)

I'd imagine if you had a Pi to use for this purpose it'd probably make more sense to just use Hass.io or something like that to just run it all on the Pi.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Kalman posted:

If your Synology has a USB port it should be possible to pass it in to the docket container. (If not, I have seen people do things with USB serialized over Ethernet and the Zwave adapter on a Pi remote from the HA machine, but it seems to be a slight hassle/not 100% stable.)

Yep it does have a USB port, interesting i'll have to look into it. Does anyone have an guide for setting up Z-wave with Home assistant?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slash posted:

Yep it does have a USB port, interesting i'll have to look into it. Does anyone have an guide for setting up Z-wave with Home assistant?

Take a look at https://community.home-assistant.io/t/aeotec-z-wave-stick-gen5-on-synology-installation/31342/21 - it's about your situation.

(Once you get HA seeing the zwave stick, zwave is pretty painless - just make sure you pair from the HA interface and NOT by detaching the stick and doing the pairing from the stick.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know specifically about the Synology, but I have HA running in docker on my Ubuntu home server and it's a piece of cake to pass my zwave usb adapter to the docker container.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Slash posted:

How do you interface Z-Wave to Home Assistant? Are you using a USB adaptor? I'm not sure i can do that as i run Home Assistant on my Synology NAS in a docker.

I'm running on a RPi with a USB adapter. There's a how-to guide or two out there describing how to do it on Synology if you look. The general problem with Synology is the Docker UI stops access to the /dev area I think, so it takes a script or ssh work to work around that. An alternative just opened up (which I haven't tried) is to use a SmartThings hub for the ZWave and expose those through the HA link.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thanks for all the replies, I'll investigate.

Slash fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 2, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the most preferred way/node in Node RED to push notifications to an Android phone? I know of Pushbullet, but I somehow remember there having been some controversy about them doing something shady, but can't remember what exactly. They still good?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just ran out of propane, which reminded me that I had been meaning to find a tank sensor that I could tie into HA. I've got an R3D compatible gauge on the tank already, but most of the things I'm seeing are either made for propane delivery companies (cellular, expensive) or really sketchy looking.

Anyone have some experience with any of these sensors?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the most preferred way/node in Node RED to push notifications to an Android phone? I know of Pushbullet, but I somehow remember there having been some controversy about them doing something shady, but can't remember what exactly. They still good?

I don't know what people are using with Node RED specifically, but I prefer Join by joaoapps for my sending-notifications-to-my-Android-phone needs. It's by the same guy who does Tasker and a bunch of plugins for that.

This is mainly because at some point Pushbullet did something shady which caused me to move over to Join...but, like you, I don't remember what that was because it was years ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I just ran out of propane, which reminded me that I had been meaning to find a tank sensor that I could tie into HA. I've got an R3D compatible gauge on the tank already, but most of the things I'm seeing are either made for propane delivery companies (cellular, expensive) or really sketchy looking.

Anyone have some experience with any of these sensors?

I haven’t done this, but before I decided on charcoal my plan was just a Z-wave pressure sensor underneath it and some custom alerts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t done this, but before I decided on charcoal my plan was just a Z-wave pressure sensor underneath it and some custom alerts.

That's going to be tough on the eventual (this summer) 500 gal underground tank. That's why I was hoping to find a non-poo poo R3D float gauge compatible one.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a script setup with IFTTT on my phone to enable a Kasa plug based on location. I looked into changing to do this with HA on docker on my Synology NAS but it's honestly well beyond me at the moment. Is there something else that's easier to setup that I could run on my Synology to do this so my phone doesn't have to be running IFTTT constantly? To be honest I haven't noticed much battery drain having had this running for a few months but it is not the most elegant solution.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That's going to be tough on the eventual (this summer) 500 gal underground tank. That's why I was hoping to find a non-poo poo R3D float gauge compatible one.

I'm in the same boat. Fortunately I have a sensor-ready gauge on my tank. It's really hard to find just the sensor for sale; there's a complete Generac *cloud* thing on Amazon that looks reasonable if expensive. I think I'll hold out for just the hall effect sensor and homebrew an ESP8266 to MQTT thing when I get some free time.

One Day Fish Sale fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 4, 2019

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's just the sensor if it's useful to you.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183308492937

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

This is a level of propane sophistication I had not considered!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thank you. I didn't think to look for/know how to find things like this. I have no idea how the output may look, but I ordered it because I've hacked in enough "zwave door sensors" with dry contacts that I'm sure I can make this work. Quality answer to help my blind spot on this thing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know what people are using with Node RED specifically, but I prefer Join by joaoapps for my sending-notifications-to-my-Android-phone needs. It's by the same guy who does Tasker and a bunch of plugins for that.

This is mainly because at some point Pushbullet did something shady which caused me to move over to Join...but, like you, I don't remember what that was because it was years ago.

Any reason you don't like the HTML5 push support in HA? I looked at Pushbullet and ultimately felt like HTML5 Push was more standardized and flexible, but I'm curious if there's some other advantage of a separate notification system I've overlooked.

I mean, I guess you have to open up to the internet via DuckDNS+SSL, for one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

Any reason you don't like the HTML5 push support in HA? I looked at Pushbullet and ultimately felt like HTML5 Push was more standardized and flexible, but I'm curious if there's some other advantage of a separate notification system I've overlooked.

I mean, I guess you have to open up to the internet via DuckDNS+SSL, for one.

HA's HTML5 push works fine, but he's asking about Node-RED not HA.

You can do a notification with Join or Pushbullet or any of these similar apps from any system that can do http requests.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

HA's HTML5 push works fine, but he's asking about Node-RED not HA.

Ah good point -- the distinction still kind of blurs together for me.

Thermopyle posted:

You can do a notification with Join or Pushbullet or any of these similar apps from any system that can do http requests.

Yeah I guess that's kind of my question as well: there seem to be a ton of different notification mechanisms there, I've just been wondering why people would prefer one over another. I will say jumping through the hoops Google has set up to do HTML5 push (setting up an app account and validating it, etc.) are a bit awkward and lurk in the back of my mind as just another thing that could go wrong down the road.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hubis posted:

Ah good point -- the distinction still kind of blurs together for me.

Yeah I guess that's kind of my question as well: there seem to be a ton of different notification mechanisms there, I've just been wondering why people would prefer one over another. I will say jumping through the hoops Google has set up to do HTML5 push (setting up an app account and validating it, etc.) are a bit awkward and lurk in the back of my mind as just another thing that could go wrong down the road.

Yeah, with HA, right now you're stuck making a choice between using a standard mechanism like HTML push notifications or something thats pretty simple but proprietary like all these notification apps.

If you're exclusively doing notifications with HA, I'd use HTML push notifications. If you're doing a mix of HA and non-HA stuff, then you could continue using HA's HTML push notifications by doing an HTTP API request to your HA instance from whatever script or app that you're wanting to send notifications from.

Personally, I just use Join because I already use the app for lots of PC-to-phone and vice-versa things like opening web pages on PC from phone or sending my clipboard from one device to another.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 5, 2019

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
RIP Nest. Hello Google Nest.

(Verge summary)

Google is Youtube'ing Nest: optional migration to Google account* and shutting down Works with Nest (which kills the seamless Nest Protect/Phillips Hue smoke alarm integration with no immediate replacement). Also the recording indicator LED will become mandatory across all Nest cams/Dropcams, Google will push an OTA to remove the option to disable it.

*not optional if you want to use any post Nest Hub Max product

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Once again, why my home automation is full of local devices talking to a local server and nothing needs to talk to the internet for its basic functionality.

Cloud connected devices are sold at "I own this hardware" prices, and you do. But it's a brick when the underlying service provider (who often has no sustainable business model since you aren't being charged monthly fees) gets sold to someone who exists to collect your data. Or just goes out of business entirely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but what does "cloud automation" even do? It's seems to be just very simple "when X then Y". When Google announced years back that they wanted to step into the game, I expected (optional) automation interfaces a la Node RED or that block editor like in HABmin eventually. With what being Google. But evidently not.

Considering the hare brained Node RED graphs to manage my purifiers and dehumidifiers based on open doors and windows and climate sensor inputs, using hysteresis on input and triggers (e.g. to prevent things from turning off just because a door opened for 5-10 seconds, or just not start up based on current device state), doing in my opinion basic stuff as end result, I'm not sure what Nest, SmartThings or Apple Home would even do for me (or how it qualifies for automation, if I wanted to get snotty).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but what does "cloud automation" even do? It's seems to be just very simple "when X then Y". When Google announced years back that they wanted to step into the game, I expected (optional) automation interfaces a la Node RED or that block editor like in HABmin eventually. With what being Google. But evidently not.

Considering the hare brained Node RED graphs to manage my purifiers and dehumidifiers based on open doors and windows and climate sensor inputs, using hysteresis on input and triggers (e.g. to prevent things from turning off just because a door opened for 5-10 seconds, or just not start up based on current device state), doing in my opinion basic stuff as end result, I'm not sure what Nest, SmartThings or Apple Home would even do for me (or how it qualifies for automation, if I wanted to get snotty).

The only thing is does is make it accessible to people who aren't very technically inclined. And it does them a disservice because they don't know any better.

Most of the function simply do not require internet access or off-site processing since a raspberry Pi can handle it. But notifications and remote access are a lot easier this way.

It's still bullshit. If they weren't trying to collect data/lock in these ancillary services would be optional and easy to set up with whoever. But this is about funding and "subscriber" /active user numbers.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Trying to set up a Harmony Hub on my segmented home network is really driving home the value of sticking to basic, dumb Zwave/Zigbee. The exception is my Hue which seems to play reasonably nicely in the sandbox.

Meanwhile the Harmony apparently dies horribly and needs to be factory reset if I try to assign a static lease in my router, to say nothing of trying to get its multicast discovery protocol to work :yayclod:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

My Harmony Hub is the one piece of wifi smarthome equipment that i own that always works with no troubles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

* As long as you aren't trying to reconfigure it while Logitechs servers are having a bad day

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm currently super frustrated with my harmony hub. I added a fire TV to it on my roku smart TV and it works fine except sometimes it gets in their weird mode where you can't exit the fire input unless you use the native remote and if you do that the fire device somehow goes into this mode where the harmony remote clicks and nothing happens except it says the fire device is in HDMI 1 which yeah I know. Only way I can fix it is to re-sync the hub and reboot my system. Haven't figured out what the gently caress yet.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I'm currently super frustrated with my harmony hub. I added a fire TV to it on my roku smart TV and it works fine except sometimes it gets in their weird mode where you can't exit the fire input unless you use the native remote and if you do that the fire device somehow goes into this mode where the harmony remote clicks and nothing happens except it says the fire device is in HDMI 1 which yeah I know. Only way I can fix it is to re-sync the hub and reboot my system. Haven't figured out what the gently caress yet.

Sometimes my Harmony remote gets screwy(maybe a couple of times a year). Usually just going back to the activities screen and re-entering the current activity fixes it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
After spending way too much time last night reading bug reports and source code, watching my firewall stats, and finally running tcpdump on my Unifi AP, I think the Android app is broken, and that the real culprit for my suddenly incommunicado hub is the firmware update I flashed (or more accurately, the Android app not keeping up).

If you use a separate IOT LAN like I do, you generally have to enter the IP manually. When you do this, the app sends an HTTP POST to the hub on port 8088. The hub returns a remote ID which can then be used to (weakly) authenticate the app as a controller in Logitech's cloud. I can perform this step manually just fine using curl, with the catch that Logitech changed the API in February, and using older versions of the request just get you an HTTP 417 error code with no explanation.

Speaking of which, guess tcpdump revealed the Android app to be doing? That's right, using an apparently outdated API call and just getting a 417 in response. The kicker here is that the remote ID gets cached so you only get tripped up by this when setting up a new device.

I sent the curl and tcpdump output to Logitech support. At least the dumb thing seems to work using the USB programming interface and companion remote.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My hub spontaneously quit controlling my TCL TV. Power on works, but not power off.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I really wish Harmony would give us an interface that you could actually modify things instead of trying to make it so simple anyone can do it. I can't fix mine. I deleted the Fire TV and reinstalled it. Harmony says it paired via bluetooth and my Fire TV doesn't see it. fuuuuuuuuck this

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Croatoan posted:

I really wish Harmony would give us an interface that you could actually modify things instead of trying to make it so simple anyone can do it. I can't fix mine. I deleted the Fire TV and reinstalled it. Harmony says it paired via bluetooth and my Fire TV doesn't see it. fuuuuuuuuck this

:agreed:

And of course you get the most generic, unhelpful error messages, if any, right? If need be they could just hide all that crap in an "advanced settings" menu with a pop-up warning, a la Android's developer settings.

But no, we need to make it work one way, and one way only, to keep things simple! So what if you need to troubleshoot it with a packet sniffer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

My hub spontaneously quit controlling my TCL TV. Power on works, but not power off.

Reprogrammed. Using Network control instead of IR. All good now.