Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
if :911: wasnt real we should repeal the patriot act
:agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's like we're experiencing a species-wide gradual onset of dementia

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

quote:

Another successful player in the business is Threat Management Center, run by ex-Army paratrooper Dale Brown. His 60-person VIPER force serves a client roster of over 5,000 private citizens and 100 businesses. Altogether, he said, the company brings in about $2 million a year. 

2,000,000 / 60 = 33,333 (not counting operating expenses or executive salary, so).

That's got to be 2 million in profit for ol' Dale, there's no way people will agree to be armed thugs for so little, right? :ohdear:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

We're poisoning our air, water and food so this might not be too far from the truth.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Speleothing posted:

2,000,000 / 60 = 33,333 (not counting operating expenses or executive salary, so).

That's got to be 2 million in profit for ol' Dale, there's no way people will agree to be armed thugs for so little, right? :ohdear:

They say if you work a job you love you'll never work a day in your life, so really being paid 33K is a steal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Speleothing posted:

At my most desperate, I looked into being a security guard. They make less than :10bux: an hour, to waddle their way from key-swipe checkin to key-swipe checkin. It would surprise me if these glorified security guards were doing much better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Easy Diff posted:

At my most desperate, I looked into being a security guard. They make less than :10bux: an hour, to waddle their way from key-swipe checkin to key-swipe checkin. It would surprise me if these glorified security guards were doing much better.

I'd go for janitor instead TBH. I kinda liked being one, you rarely saw anyone other than other janitors and the security guard. Plus I got to hang out in the bowels of the buildings which were always neat, especially that one time I got the set of keys that let me into everywhere, and it felt like I was exploring in secret catacombs.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Easy Diff posted:

Depends on which kind. There are standard boring rentacop positions and there are 'operator' type positions where the corp can sift through the finest of marine washouts for on-call SWAT cosplay nonsense

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Maybe we're living this story

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

King's best short story.

Flowers for Algernon, and Everybody Else, Too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Speleothing posted:

threat management center is a training and consulting company, not a bodyguard or security company

they do have a security guard program, but as far as I can tell, it's unpaid. people are literally volunteering to be security guards for them. to quote their website, they "are not an employment based organization". it also looks like they might contractually require people to do some unpaid work for them in order to take certain classes, or something like that

it's a straight-up militia group with a veneer of respectability

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

it's a straight-up militia group with a veneer of respectability

And 7-figure revenue, which isn’t bad for a militia!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd go for janitor instead TBH. I kinda liked being one, you rarely saw anyone other than other janitors and the security guard. Plus I got to hang out in the bowels of the buildings which were always neat, especially that one time I got the set of keys that let me into everywhere, and it felt like I was exploring in secret catacombs.

I had a buddy who was a total lush and he went for these jobs specifically so that he could wander around building at night drinking vodka. Goddam Iranian Bukowski.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1124395059464609792?s=21

these qanon rubes (and 4chan/8chan) are going to keep pulling poo poo like this because they enjoy seeing their unhinged aggressive nonsense yield real world consequences

cancelling events and scaring people from the comfort of their gamer chairs through the power of the internet makes these assholes feel powerful and they’re never going to stop

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

aphid_licker posted:

if you think about how hosed older generations are by all the lead in fumes from leaded petrol, then consider how many other fun and unusual chemicals we've created and exposed the entire population to*, is this entirely surprising?

* obvious examples: microplastics, pesticides, gently caress knows what combustion byproducts, ...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

got any sevens posted:

if :911: wasnt real we should repeal the patriot act
:agesilaus:

the patriot act should be repealed, ergo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I think the last one was an art thing, although investors are probably stroking their micropenises chins at the idea.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Contains ads * In-app purchases

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1124428654388436993

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

well, my hypothesis is that the history of civilization is the history of organization. as people got more organized they were able to become more civilized (in the western sense). this what helped lead to the breakdown of vassalage and feudalism and lead to the growth of republicanism in western europe. basically: organization (radically expanded by industrialization, such as the printing press and the increased literacy that came along with it) + firearms (which challenged the monopoly on violence feudalism held) = increased self determination and "western civilization"

but in our modern world, organization is breaking down as the "fabric of society" is being shredded by capitalist driven atomization and radical individualism. there is no structural support for our institutions in the form of an active, included foundation of citizenry

so we're seeing everything crumble to poo poo from our institutions to our relations because the underlying organization is falling apart, leaving an inadequate system held up by increasingly militarized authoritarianism

our society is getting dumber because its getting less organized and increasingly reliant on elitist technocratic authority instead of universal participation and inclusion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

As an art project installation, the car vending machine would be cool.

As a business model, it’s not.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Shouting obscenities at passengers seems fundamentally Australian to me.h

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GWBBQ posted:

Shouting obscenities at passengers seems fundamentally Australian to me.h

Didn't call anyone a fukn oval office. Might be an imposter there mate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

now do self checkout for cars

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

vyelkin posted:

now do self checkout for cars

Yes I'm buying 1,873kg of bulk dried green lentils.

Wait, that's still $5k. I can't afford that much for a car.

Uhg, now I'm sad again.

Outrail has issued a correction as of 06:01 on May 4, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

Yes I'm buying 1,873kg of bulk dried green lentils.

4011 mafia

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why the gently caress are we paying so much for lentils?! How is steel so cheap to manufacture compared to beans? They grow on trees! Or vines or something.

E: 'It is a bushy annual plant known for its lens-shaped seeds. It is about 40 cm tall, and the seeds grow in pods, usually with two seeds in each.'

In case you were wondering.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Netflix has a new gameshow, and it's, uh... Well, it's something.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1124413318259564544

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brass Key posted:

Uhg. More Western appropriation of Japanese culture.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool, how long until they discover it's cheaper to only make reality shows and turn into pay tv?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brass Key posted:

Oh, so this is a sex thing.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
this isn't gonna be good for that kid's psyche

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've always wanted electrocution to become a thing in gaming, ever since I saw this bond flick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUc4GkMN1qs

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Brass Key posted:

the best bit in Contact was the part where Ellie flinches in the face of the pendulum, but not for the reason Netflix think

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/scottbudman/status/1123630525325824000?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well that’s one way to thin out the herd of computer‐touchers.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/yogirton/status/1122960523530625024

most lit co-working space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

holy poo poo that hashtag is fukcing dumb

https://twitter.com/graybright/status/1122969286081826817

https://twitter.com/valdecarpentrie/status/1122798706640719872