Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

after age like 35 it should be illegal to voice your opinions publicly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Over the years, I've come to develop a near-universal distrust of Critic reviews. They constantly poo poo on enjoyable movies and praise lovely ones.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's actually really cool, and a good idea on their part.
The anime does this as well. Almost every Pokémon has a "current moveset" that has 4 moves, and Bulbapedia shows the move history of many of them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Takoluka posted:

The anime does this as well. Almost every Pokémon has a "current moveset" that has 4 moves, and Bulbapedia shows the move history of many of them.

They didn't really adhere well to it early on, but I do remember the Dragonite in the Orange Islands was deliberately given a huge moveset specifically to make it feel more powerful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

They didn't really adhere well to it early on, but I do remember the Dragonite in the Orange Islands was deliberately given a huge moveset specifically to make it feel more powerful.

Yep, Drake's Dragonite has 10 moves at once. And Lt. Surge's Raichu has 6.

The flavor of the 4-moveslot rule is a bit weird when you think about it. I guess the idea was originally that Pokemon are basically just trained animals that can only remember how to perform so many tricks at once, but it applies to supposedly smart Pokemon like Alakazam too. And the messages associated with it in-game ("1, 2, and poof!") imply that forgetting the old move is an instantaneous, magical/technological thing.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 3, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I always interpreted it as an abstraction supposed to represent a particular fighting style. Your Pokemon can develop a particular choregraphy of moves but isn't creative enough to do "anything goes" all at once.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Silver2195 posted:

Yep, Drake's Dragonite has 10 moves at once. And Lt. Surge's Raichu has 6.

The flavor of the 4-moveslot rule is a bit weird when you think about it. I guess the idea was originally that Pokemon are basically just trained animals that can only remember how to perform so many tricks at once, but it applies to supposedly smart Pokemon like Alakazam too. And the messages associated with it in-game ("1, 2, and poof!") imply that forgetting the old move is an instantaneous, magical/technological thing.

Consider that moves are stored in Technical Machines that looks like CDs.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Serebii just posted their review of the movie.

https://www.serebii.net/movies/detectivepikachu/review.shtml

4 out of 5 is pretty drat good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Serebii just posted their review of the movie.

https://www.serebii.net/movies/detectivepikachu/review.shtml

4 out of 5 is pretty drat good.

What did they rate the other 21 movies, for the sake of comparison?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I dunno. Far as I can tell they didn't rate them just wrote summaries.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 3, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Robot Style posted:

The Pokemon Company made sure we didn't give any pokemon more than 4 moves when battling, and had to approve which ones were used, because they wanted to make sure kids could replicate them in the games.

That’d be cool if they do some giveaways in the games.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did bulbapedia or serebii become a quick reference after you guys learned about the move limitations for the movie?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That’d be cool if they do some giveaways in the games.

I picked up SoulSilver the other week, one of the pokewalker routes lets you get Brock's/Dawn's pokemon from the Sinnoh anime series which is neat

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

Did bulbapedia or serebii become a quick reference after you guys learned about the move limitations for the movie?

Not really - most of the moves had already been decided in the previs that had been done before before filming, so it was mostly a directive for what we couldn't do. For example, one of the ideas we had for the shot of Pikachu bouncing on the big balloon in the trailer was that he could be doing his quick attack from Smash Bros, but were eventually told that we couldn't use it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a movie it seems like it'd make sense to give a Pokemon a limited set of moves to give them a distinct fighting style and personality. (and I get the impression part of the plot is going to be Detective Pikachu trying to figure out how to use his Pikachu abilities, since he wakes up knowing next to nothing about being a Pikachu) Also means if you have more than one Pokemon of the same kind you can differentiate them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
post the movesets

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Finally.

quote:

A new event has been announced to retail partners in Australia. This event is the distribution of the Mythical Pokémon Zeraora and will run at EB Games from May 3rd through May 26th. This Zeraora will match the one distributed elsewhere in the world last year

Hopefully it will come to NZ too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did the studio allow you to adjust the ivs of the monsters in the movie, or at least the evs

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Vapor Moon posted:

Hopefully it will come to NZ too.

The EB I went to yesterday didn't know anything, grab a spare if you find some.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Every time I watch a trailer for Detective Pikachu, there's a short clip where Pikachu is running from a Charizard. And every single time I think "just use Thunderbolt, it's super effective"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
this is a lazy hobo danny devito pikachu what level do you think he is

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nasgate posted:

Every time I watch a trailer for Detective Pikachu, there's a short clip where Pikachu is running from a Charizard. And every single time I think "just use Thunderbolt, it's super effective"

Charizard outspeeds Pikachu and gets a guaranteed OHKO on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nasgate posted:

One of the trailers shows the very beginning of that fight, where Pikachu can't remember how to use it's attacks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

One of the trailers shows the very beginning of that fight, where Pikachu can't remember how to use it's attacks.

It's not that he can't remember, he has stage fright. He can't do it if everyone's looking!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He's not holding light ball and his EVs went into ATK and Defense like a chump.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Nasgate posted:

Canonically, in the video game its based on, Detective Pikachu can't actually use moves since he can talk like a person, much like Meowth in the Pokémon anime.

In fact, the climax of that video game has him using Thunderbolt on the main villain and this is treated as a "miracle" of sorts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is the Detective Pikachu game any good (also is there any actual combat in it or is it mostly just an adventure game where you're going around investigating things)?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is the Detective Pikachu game any good (also is there any actual combat in it or is it mostly just an adventure game where you're going around investigating things)?

The game itself is... Okay. It has its own charms, but it's basically a visual novel with a few quicktime events. Also if you're expecting Ace Attorney levels of difficulty, then its a bit disappointing. It's basically "Baby's first visual novel/adventure game". If you get something, wrong, Detective Pikachu will try to point out the right answer, and you can always try again. Also you won't get a game over sequence if you mess up things like quicktime events.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 4, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

no combat and it's puzzles are very simple. probably wanna pass if you're older then 10

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It doesn't really offer much replay value either, unless you want to get all the Detective Pikachu scenes, where there are about 160 short clips of Detective Pikachu talking to Tim and interacting with other Pokémon. Its impossible to get them all in a single playthrough and most are chapter specific or if certain conditions are met.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So not worth the time then, too bad.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Yeah, it seems like the movie is straight up a better experience. Especially in regards to Tim's character (Game!Tim is a boring vanilla human while Movie!Tim has a personality beyond that).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The history behind Detective Pikachu is definitely way more interesting than the game.

First off, this was made by Creatures Inc., a longtime associate of the Pokemon IP, that made a couple of the spinoffs (Ranger and Park) but mostly worked on the models used in the console games or whenever Pokemon are used in other games, like Smash. PokePark Wii 2012 was their last real game, and at that point they were kneedeep in making the futureproof models for pokemon going forward.
In 2013, right around the time of XY's launch, Detective Pikachu was revealed, sorta. Offscreen footage, mostly talking about mocaping for pikachu, hints that it'd be investigation-based but not much else. Then there's radio silence for 3 years. Game's most likely almost cancelled (probably because it's not very good; too much VN stuff to appeal to kids, too simple to appeal to VN fans), but they try a hail mary and release it by chapters to gather interest. It doesn't work and in Jan 2016 the only chapter of Detective Pikachu comes out.
Then Legendary gets super hyped about the idea of a thing to adapt that involves a talking Pikachu and The Pokemon Company lets Creatures actually finish their first game in six years, and basically the first non-mobile spinoff since Pokken that released a month after the original chapter release of detective pikachu.
And now it's a big-rear end hollywood movie.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

You can kind of tell the game's history in what sort of Pokémon are featured in the chapters: The first three seem to feature Gen 6 Pokémon more heavily then others because they were the new ones at the time. Chapter 4 and beyond has Gen 7 Pokémon show up, although not as much as others.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've always just assumed that limiting Pokémon to four moves was just an issue of technical limitations and/or game balance and it just stuck around.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Star Man posted:

I've always just assumed that limiting Pokémon to four moves was just an issue of technical limitations and/or game balance and it just stuck around.

Part of it is that adding additional move slots would make the game much more complex. Being limited to only four slots is one of the only reasons certain move combos are considered unviable. I do think that it is time that we move beyond the four move limit, but I think competitive battlers would throw a fit if it happened.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The move slots being limited kinda makes you have to think about what types you wanna cover and such, I think that's a net good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It'd also oversimplify the campaign if you had that many more options; your six pokemon team can more easily have complete coverage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont think having 5 moves would ruin the game, but i also dont think it would make it any better and it seems like a weird thing to mess with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If you're going to expand moveslots think a more elegant solution might be to have some moveslots you can use for support and some you can use for offense. But that might make Swords Dance / Dragon Dance even more unchecked than usual if you can run it along with a full suite of coverage moves.