Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I like how up until she was actually running for president, nobody every considered Warren unlikeable.

To be fair, I've been saying she should run for years and heard from a lot of folks in D&D that they didn't think she was charismatic enough.

I'm sure the number's increased since she jumped in, though, which is definitely lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Jaxyon posted:

I like how up until she was actually running for president, nobody every considered Warren unlikeable.

Couldn't the same be said about Beto though?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Solvency posted:

Couldn't the same be said about Beto though?

I don't think "likability" is Beto's problem, so much as that he's just a complete empty suit.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, I genuinely love Warren’s style when she gets going. That Wells Fargo hearing a couple years back was amazing. She’s going to win the debates, too, in that Christie/Gingrich way that doesn’t really help you in the polls. I just don’t think America is that into it.

Fun fact: De Blasio’s real first name is Warren.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Majorian posted:

To be fair, I've been saying she should run for years and heard from a lot of folks in D&D that they didn't think she was charismatic enough.

I'm sure the number's increased since she jumped in, though, which is definitely lovely.

I have been noticing though that the "she's not likable" has been fading from this forum in the last couple of months, and actually on social media/news in general.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish I had enough money, like these 2, that it made me see Democratic Party politics in only these terms.:lol:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theblackw0lf posted:

I have been noticing though that the "she's not likable" has been fading from this forum in the last couple of months, and actually on social media/news in general.

Its felt more to me like people have just dismissed her as an afterthought who's campaign failure is inevitable so there's no real point in attacking.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, being bold and unapologetic about sticking to your values is a likable thing. Something more Democrats could learn from, imo!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Majorian posted:

Yeah, being bold and unapologetic about sticking to your values is a likable thing. Something more Democrats could learn from, imo!

That and she received rave reviews for those the town hall and forum last week.

It's kind of hard to say that someone is unlikable when she's receiving rapturous audience reception.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

That and she received rave reviews for those the town hall and forum last week.

It's kind of hard to say that someone is unlikable when she's receiving rapturous audience reception.

To take that argument and flip it around, wouldn't Biden's audience reception indicate he's not as much of a threat as people are saying?

Like I know the post-2016 narrative is that Hillary was the worst campaigner in history but I remember crowds responding pretty well to her in the moment. The Biden crowds just sound bored. I don't think this assumption that he has the Boomer vote locked up is going to hold true, they have plenty of candidates they can jump to if they get bored of Biden.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pakled posted:

He's the quintessential New York Democrat. He's a machine politician who sucks up to Wall Street and doesn't care to hold the NYPD accountable for anything at all.

He made a big deal about police oversight in his first mayoral campaign so cops hate him even though he hasn't done anything to make good on that promise at all.

He implemented Universal PreK and a quasi single payer for kids in the city. He's been a pretty progressive mayor even if he's an rear end in a top hat with a giant ego.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

WampaLord posted:

To take that argument and flip it around, wouldn't Biden's audience reception indicate he's not as much of a threat as people are saying?

Like I know the post-2016 narrative is that Hillary was the worst campaigner in history but I remember crowds responding pretty well to her in the moment. The Biden crowds just sound bored. I don't think this assumption that he has the Boomer vote locked up is going to hold true, they have plenty of candidates they can jump to if they get bored of Biden.

Yea I think the people that are excited about Biden are thinking of the Obama-era Biden to slammed Paul Ryan in the debates.

Getting a feeling that Biden doesn't exist as much anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how is nate silver that dumb. uhhh bernie won't have many arguments to attack biden with other than being better than him on literally every policy.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
He's been real pissy since the Pete Buttigieg momentum didn't especially show up in the polling.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He implemented Universal PreK and a quasi single payer for kids in the city. He's been a pretty progressive mayor even if he's an rear end in a top hat with a giant ego.

Julián Castro did universal pre K too. Also like the entire state of Oklahoma. BdB spends his time worrying about rich drivers having to pay more to support the subway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Badger of Basra posted:

Julián Castro did universal pre K too. Also like the entire state of Oklahoma. BdB spends his time worrying about rich drivers having to pay more to support the subway.

The Subway is Cuomo's issue...

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

Not sure Julian Castro had control over state policies in Oklahoma while he was mayor of the city of San Antonio, TX but maybe I can check into that...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Biden seems to be getting close to full-blown sundowning at this point. He wasn't going to win anyway, but this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin and now we just have to wait for the corpse to stop twitching.

Groovelord Neato posted:

how is nate silver that dumb. uhhh bernie won't have many arguments to attack biden with other than being better than him on literally every policy.

The more I see the man punditing the more I move towards the opinion that Nate Silver is a goddamn idiot who got lucky once and has been coasting on that ever since.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Biden seems to be getting close to full-blown sundowning at this point. He wasn't going to win anyway, but this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin and now we just have to wait for the corpse to stop twitching.

One wonders if Warren feels like 1) she can't win and 2) Biden will, maybe she goes for VP and crosses her fingers he croaks in office? I'm jumping way ahead here but hey...who knows?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

The more I see the man punditing the more I move towards the opinion that Nate Silver is a goddamn idiot who got lucky once and has been coasting on that ever since.

I wish I was as confidant in this as you are....

VH4Ever posted:

One wonders if Warren feels like 1) she can't win and 2) Biden will, maybe she goes for VP and crosses her fingers he croaks in office? I'm jumping way ahead here but hey...who knows?

I would have a REALLY hard time believing that Warren would go on a Biden ticket after the way she's been rightly trashing him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

If they dislike each other half as much as is reported, that's just not happening.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sean10mm posted:

The more I think about it the less I get the panic about Biden from the lefties (like me.) He's an establishment pick in a general way, but there just doesn't seem to be the monolithic institutional support for him that there was for Clinton. Like even Obama has been :geno: towards Creepy Uncle Joe's candidacy, and his entire pitch is that he's Obama II: The Whitening. Like if he face plants like he did in every other primary run he tried, you have the center-right split 12 ways to Sunday and nobody gives a gently caress about any of them.

I think for me, the fear is that I think Biden is basically the only one who could credibly take on Bernie at this point. Everyone else is either a chump or a nobody.*

*in a hypothetical head to head I think Warren could beat him but lol clowncar

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

King of Solomon posted:

If they dislike each other half as much as is reported, that's just not happening.

But see that would be the genius of it.

I'm not serious, just having some fun with y'all.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think for me, the fear is that I think Biden is basically the only one who could credibly take on Bernie at this point. Everyone else is either a chump or a nobody.*

*in a hypothetical head to head I think Warren could beat him but lol clowncar

Hey!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I wish I was as confidant in this as you are....

I would have a REALLY hard time believing that Warren would go on a Biden ticket after the way she's been rightly trashing him.

It's interesting because I think Warren would have pretty easily jumped on Hillary's ticket. But yea don't see her jumping on Biden's.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1124375790144184320

I mean it completely unironically when I say: he's one of the best candidates in the race.

The good thing about DeBlasio running against Trump would be during a debate when he pulled an LBJ and leaned over a cowering Trump.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 3, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Typo posted:

But the only real exception to "ethnic minority == immigrants" in US are African-Americans: and as I mentioned, stereotyping African-Americans as "lazy" and "undeserving" of welfare benefits and using them against transfer programs seem to work very well for the Republican party and in fact implicitly constitutes the core of Republican policy platforms. Pretty sure racism works just as well when they are not immigrants.

That's just you stereotyping. There's tons of exceptions. There are plenty of white immigrants in the US, and plenty of native-born American citizens who are neither white nor black. Besides, that was a county-level analysis in Sweden. Is there anything particular about those counties that are receiving all the immigrants that sets them aside from the ones that aren't? Economic differences, maybe, or preexisting political divisions? How about the status and opinions of the immigrants themselves? The top three countries of origin for immigrants currently living in Sweden are Yugoslavia, Syria, and Finland; those are all very different countries whose people are emigrating for very different reasons. There are a lot of potential confounding factors there, made all the more difficult by the fact that that research was conducted a decade ago, when Sweden's immigrant demographics were much whiter and the Great Recession was at its deepest.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bernie is an old straight white male just like Bernie, and what else could the Dem primary candidates possibly attack each other on besides identity checklists?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

on top of that bernie would be the first jewish president. he's not an old white guy like biden is an old white guy.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Groovelord Neato posted:

on top of that bernie would be the first jewish president.

speaking of which, his VP pick is important for another reason: The new American Fash is gonna try and kill (((Sanders))).

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1124407471534149632?s=19

Biden also polling in the 40s in a Virginia poll.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1124410526824574976

granted a lot of this is a announcement bounce but I wouldn't be surprised if the debates begin with biden floating above 30 and Bernie 20~25, buttgieg: 10-~15 everyone else <10

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

...Clinton?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

...Clinton?

Yes. Rumors she may consider running still. I think they're still scared of Progressives and Bernie and Biden isn't a sure thing so the End Boss may think she has to take care of it herself. She will collect and consume all the Centrist Stones, like Buttigeig, Harris, Gillenbrand, Klobuchar, Booker, O'Rourke, then face Bernie and Warren and Gravel. She is inevitable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ranter posted:

speaking of which, his VP pick is important for another reason: The new American Fash is gonna try and kill (((Sanders))).

This is why we have the secret service.

They never got Obama. Plenty of them were around back then too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Typo posted:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1124410526824574976

granted a lot of this is a announcement bounce but I wouldn't be surprised if the debates begin with biden floating above 30 and Bernie 20~25, buttgieg: 10-~15 everyone else <10

hellworld baby arroooooo

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/gmulligan38/status/1124424783825911808?s=19

Basically all these polls are meaningless if (and only if) you get enough non-voters to turn out. If Bernie's ground game isn't superb he's toast. So... volunteer and donate!

bowser fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 4, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1124426528207593473

Even (younger) doctors want M4A, turns out scaremongering about lower pay doesn't matter when dealing with the status quo is such a nightmare for them!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Biden blatantly sundowning is going to make his support even stronger among folks whose political goals begin and end with beating Trump and hoo boy am I not ready for that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bowser posted:

There has to be some logical explanation for all these also-ran candidates that goes beyond their massive egos.... Right?

Raising their national profile for cabinet positions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VH4Ever posted:

Not sure Julian Castro had control over state policies in Oklahoma while he was mayor of the city of San Antonio, TX but maybe I can check into that...

Didn't he do something between being mayor of San Antonio and run for president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:smithicide: