Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

The Shockmaster posted:

Welp... I just took the plunge and bought a hardcover of the first three books. I've been lurking the thread for a couple of months now and it's inspired me to actually go out and read the original trilogy. I live in Seoul so I've spent a few weeks scouring English bookstores around town for a copy but to no avail (I was able to find the Brian Herbert books fairly easily), so I finally just bit the bullet and ordered it through an international book seller. I'm really excited to finally start the series, I should've read these a long time ago and I appreciate this thread for finally getting me to take the initiative.

Get through Children, so you can read God Emperor - it is a book hard to compare to any other. As for Heretics and Chapter House, I like them but I understand people who don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chapterhouse is an awesome set-up to a book that doesn't exist.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I do have one criticism to levy at that summary of the series:

Frank Herbert was always smokin hella weed typing on his typewriter with a rock hard old man dick.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He claimed not to have used drugs (except for writing about an experience with peyote). However, there's lots of stuff in his writing (fiction and nonfiction) that makes me suspect he was acquainted with the ganj.

The Shockmaster posted:

Welp... I just took the plunge and bought a hardcover of the first three books.

Hope you enjoy them :cheers:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Destination: Void is a weed book

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So are the Jorj McKie books.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Many shitposters in GBS. New shitposters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Where did they come from? The southern wastes?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've been hearing about an immigration crisis at the shield wall

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Better than those on Reddit.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

lol, this thread owns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

phasmid posted:

Can't talk: chairdoggin :dukedoge:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

b mad at me posted:

I've read Solaris and it was really weird and cool, but I'm going to have to stop you there.

Unless Lem wrote a loving truckload more poo poo

The fururalogical Congress is one of the best books out there imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyberiad owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my dog died im sad posted:

The fururalogical Congress is one of the best books out there imo.

*clutching first edition* suck my dick you assman

agreed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Cyberiad owns

Cyberiad is so full of puns and wordplay that I can't believe anyone could translate it at all, much less have it turn out well. genius level poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some people call me Muad'Dib

*Guild navigator plays slide whistle*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
arrakis... dune... desert planet...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

kiimo posted:

Some people call me Muad'Dib

*Guild navigator plays slide whistle*

And I speak with the Weirding Way

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sebmojo posted:

Can't talk: chairdoggin :dukedoge:

Then I talk to people on the other side of the galaxy via a living tuber plant that resents its station as galactic switchboard operator.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

arrakis... dune... desert planet...

:same:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I just finished God Emperor, and it is my favorite of the series so far. It sucks that I am going to have to lump this in with Twin Peaks as a thing I really love but won't be able to talk about to anyone in real life because no one I know cares.

I was reading some interpretations of the ending, and it kind of fell into place for me when I realized Leto was getting so pissed about Duncan and Hwi not out of jealousy, but he knew since they fell in love he was going to have to take her with him over the bridge since the Golden Path needed Duncan and Siona to fall in love and have kids. The imagery of Moneo having his revelation as he saw Leto's Walmart cart exploding in golden smoke as he was falling off the bridge was pretty cool.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I've read the whole series a handful of times and it was only on my last read that the whole plot of Heretics made sense even though it's spelled out in the book. Taraza purposefully goading the Matres into glassing Arrakis to kill off most of the worms since their residual God Emperor prescience was trapping the Bene Gesserit.

The Dune books have so much weird poo poo and so many interwoven themes it's hard sometimes to pick a major theme or plot point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The imagery of Moneo having his revelation as he saw Leto’s Walmart cart exploding in golden smoke as he was falling off the bridge was pretty cool.

The Royal Rascal, please!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

God Emperor OD rules and is completely worth wading through the pool of poo poo that is Children OD

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I mean it is the worst Dune novel, sure, but pool of poo poo?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Cause I speak of the prophecies of Gold

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dune 2020 is gonna rule

Kull wahad

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

It will be delayed by 6 months as Villeneuve embarrassingly rows back on a controversial Shai Hulud creature design, specifically the teeth, causing untold hours of extra CGI work.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

shameful, i liked this design for young maker

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

phasmid posted:

I wish we'd gotten six of those, the Consentiency was an interesting place. Four of the Destination: Void books was a nice treat though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Was the “Royal Cart” supposed to be humorous and give Leto II the air of an disgusting crazy glob, like his great-grandpa?

Also how dare you call Children a pool of poo poo when it has the tiger assassination plot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also how dare you call Children a pool of poo poo when it has the tiger assassination plot.

You're right, I repent :worship:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mister Speaker posted:

lol the Baron's first thought when Alia eloquently insults him in the Emperor's throne room, is

Is it a midget?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I love those absurd moments, like Bijaz's "Nooooooo!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like children of dune because abomination Alia is cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's actually one of the more humanising things about Dune; that every character is capable of being goofy and silly at some point, to the point of undercutting someone else's dramatic scene because they're doing their own thing. Baron Harkonnen is particularly silly but also a legitimate threat, but everyone else has their moments. Leto II by the point of God-Emperor has been around so long that the novelty's long worn off and people are casually curious about how his body works, and kind of the point of his Royal Cart is that he's almost literally a fish out of water physically and, while nearly invincible, still can't really function in day-to-day life without things like that to help him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's actually one of the more humanising things about Dune; that every character is capable of being goofy and silly at some point, to the point of undercutting someone else's dramatic scene because they're doing their own thing.

Yeah for real, especially Count and Lady Fenring. I just finished another read of the first book (in case you can't tell) and their dialogue, description, that whole secret language thing, it's all so bizarre that near the end of the book, when Shaddam and RM Mohiam had "one weapon left and both knew it: treachery," and they summoned the Count, I thought wait really? Fenring? The guy who, in my head, talks like this guy?