Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

I feel like Rahne has perpetually been the character unnecessarily bad things happen to since, like, the early 90s. The last major plot point she had was Strong Guy murdering her large adult son.

I still hate that. Not that I was a fan of the pregnancy plot to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's bizarre, too. Rahne doesn't want to kill her attackers, sure, but she could have still used her powers and just... left. I expect Rosenberg will get a lot of angry reactions but fall back to "X-Men fans are mean through no fault of my own."

And Android Blues is right, although arguably you could go back even further to her major plot point of being "sad over Doug" and then "guilty liking somebody who isn't Doug" and on and on.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rosenberg is such a loving hack and this is lazy, bad writing that doesn't even try to answer a number of obvious problems with the scenario like; why didn't the werewolf just turn into a wolf and run away? Or why are four dudes capable of beating a werewolf with a healing factor and years of combat training and experience to death even if said werewolf didn't want to fight back? It's lazy, it's gross, I just hate this run like I've rarely hated an X-book. At least Major X has some exuberance to it's terribleness, it's like a really stupid puppy that just woke up from a nap and is full of energy so it's making a mess and annoying but you can't be as mad about it as you would because aww, puppy.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Poor Rahne. In-universe she's only like 18-19 too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's largely been the New Mutants raison d'etre for most of their existence. Wasn't Warlock the only casualty in Xtinction Agenda? And Rahne was forced to be a wolf permanently or she'd revert to mindless slave?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cannonball and Sunspot at least escaped the X-Men misery vortex mostly unscathed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Cannonball and Sunspot at least escaped the X-Men misery vortex mostly unscathed.

Has Sunspot been in anything since Ewing's various Avengers books?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

That's largely been the New Mutants raison d'etre for most of their existence. Wasn't Warlock the only casualty in Xtinction Agenda? And Rahne was forced to be a wolf permanently or she'd revert to mindless slave?

Yup. Oh, and somehow she was genetically coded to have a crush on Havok during that whole mess. (I think Peter David can be thanked for that one.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yup. Oh, and somehow she was genetically coded to have a crush on Havok during that whole mess. (I think Peter David can be thanked for that one.)

Even past the weird mind control sex stuff, of all the people to be forced to have a crush on, ewww.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Has Sunspot been in anything since Ewing's various Avengers books?
It looks like he's going to be in War of the Realms: X-Men, and he's listed among the incredibly long list of dead people rattled off at Rahne's funeral in this week's Uncanny X-Men.

Though to be fair, most of that list of dead people at Rahne's funeral are people who are 'dead' (disappeared by X-Man/Legion, in the Age of X-Man).
Though to be even more fair, Sunspot's not in any of the sloppy group fight scenes in X-Men Disassembled. And is apparently in War of the Realms, which takes place before Rahne's funeral since she's alive during War of the Realms.
Though to be the fairest of them all, "Roberto" could be referring to the current Ghost Rider, The Battling Bantam, or anyone else named "Roberto" that Rahne and "Sam" were close to and are now dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were big Panthers fans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Women in Rosenberg's X-Men exist purely so Scott and Ligan can man pain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Women in Rosenberg's X-Men exist purely so Scott and Ligan can man pain.

It's really kinda sad that with maybe the exception of Morrison, Claremont is probably still the most feminist X-Men writer in their history.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's really kinda sad that with maybe the exception of Morrison, Claremont is probably still the most feminist X-Men writer in their history.

Yeah, and much as I love Claremont, that's really not a high bar to clear. He just...cared about having female characters who had their own complicated thoughts and feelings, did things, and had stories centred on them. It's amazing how few runs on Uncanny even up to the modern day have met that extremely basic standard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They gotta have their own personalities and relationships or else when you turn them into a baby, what is it even for?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Even past the weird mind control sex stuff, of all the people to be forced to have a crush on, ewww.

I also forgot the time Rahne made out with one of her students (Elixir, I think) when she was going through one of her 'my wolf side makes me super horny' phases. Poor thing never could win.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Since we're talking about cool things cool writers did to Rahne/other New Mutants, remember in Secret Empire (or at least Cullen Bunn tie-in issues) where Rahne got the secondary mutation that she can turn from a human into a werewolf into a wolf into five smaller wolves? Because that's something that happened.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's even dumber than when Geoff Johns made it so that Beast Boy can do cellular reproduction and divide into multiple copies of the same animal.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Rahne's plots in later PAD X-Factor was also pretty bad-- her changeling son and all of that run's meandering stuff about Hell. Rahne is a great character who has not really had a lot of compelling plots of her own I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's better off dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's better off dead.

Aren't we all in the long run?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Some Uncanny #17 stuff:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/uncanny-x-men-17-trans-panic-murder/

https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1124032036749172736

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1124065856294739970

Also, something wild from earlier this week, in the X-Men Monday that probably relates to Rahne's secondary mutation: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...or-kevin-feige/

quote:

AiPT!: I’m curious, does the X-Office have a running list of dangling plot lines or mysteries that you inherited and have the power to resolve or ignore as Senior Editor? Fans can’t be the only ones tracking these things!

Jordan: No, there is no document or spreadsheet of plot lines… we just keep it in our heads, mostly. That’s one of the reasons a book can benefit from having one editor over a long period of time, as the creative team changes, the editor can keep things as steady as possible regarding characters and ongoing plot concerns. Sometimes when there are editorial changes on a book, those things can fall between the cracks as they are mostly only protected by the force of our will.

I mean... there's no excuse for this in any Editorial office, right? Just a simple notepad document listing the arc and the plot point wouldn't take long to set up and maintain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

Some Uncanny #17 stuff:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/uncanny-x-men-17-trans-panic-murder/

https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1124032036749172736

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1124065856294739970

Also, something wild from earlier this week, in the X-Men Monday that probably relates to Rahne's secondary mutation: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...or-kevin-feige/

I mean... there's no excuse for this in any Editorial office, right? Just a simple notepad document listing the arc and the plot point wouldn't take long to set up and maintain.
They could literally fix both of these problems by making Jay Edidin the Senior X-Editor, I'm just saying.

I'm fairly certain 'adding trans characters who are treated respectfully' and 'bringing back the space clone X-Men from that one New Mutants issue' are his two main priorities. And he's probablydefinitely already got a big ol' list of every single lingering plot thread in X-history.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

During their Inferno special, Jay and Miles talked about how it was said Bob Harras had a whiteboard with a very detailed timeline that showed where N'astirh was at any given time so he was never in the same place twice because he was in about every Inferno-related title. That's too much effort now, I guess?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

If only there was the technology for a company to build their own sort of... I dunno, hypertext document that could be collaboratively updated to track characters' appearances and plotpoints. Some sort of... Wiki?

Or you could look characters up in Wikis that already exist, which is how I remembered Wolfsbane got that secondary mutation. Both of these seem pretty hard though!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

If only there was the technology for a company to build their own sort of... I dunno, hypertext document that could be collaboratively updated to track characters' appearances and plotpoints. Some sort of... Wiki?

Or you could look characters up in Wikis that already exist, which is how I remembered Wolfsbane got that secondary mutation. Both of these seem pretty hard though!

Oh, E&C! Always the wacky futurist!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

*Sigh*

I'll start the wiki on building a wiki

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

seems like Rosenberg's intentions were good (the point is clearly that "she's a trap" as a rationale for transphobic violence is bad), but it is an extremely tone-deaf and tasteless way of using mutants as a metaphor for a real-world minority, and I would be surprised if Rosenberg consulted with any trans people about this scene beforehand

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah when you guys first brought it up I didn't expect he literally used that phrasing. That's bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

seems like Rosenberg's intentions were good (the point is clearly that "she's a trap" as a rationale for transphobic violence is bad), but it is an extremely tone-deaf and tasteless way of using mutants as a metaphor for a real-world minority, and I would be surprised if Rosenberg consulted with any trans people about this scene beforehand

"extremely tone-deaf and tasteless way of using mutants as a metaphor for a real-world minority" has been part of the X-Men at least since the second time Kitty dropped an N-bomb.

Not saying it's not important or that they shouldn't try and be better, just that, sadly, it's incredibly on brand of them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think the big difference is that Claremont was genuinely trying to make a point, there was thought put into it, this new mess is the result of thoughtlessness. I don't think Rosenberg was trying to draw a connection, he wasn't trying to shed light on a real experience, he was clueless and White was clueless and the X-office has nobody on hand that that could have caught what they were doing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rantmo posted:

I think the big difference is that Claremont was genuinely trying to make a point, there was thought put into it, this new mess is the result of thoughtlessness. I don't think Rosenberg was trying to draw a connection, he wasn't trying to shed light on a real experience, he was clueless and White was clueless and the X-office has nobody on hand that that could have caught what they were doing.

Yeah. Also, when this stuff happened to Claremont's characters, it was usually the start of a storyline about them overcoming adversity. Wolfsbane just dies, and because she's not the most popular character and has had like four lines in this whole run, it feels like a cheap way to milk pathos. Especially since the only justification given for how four guys managed to kick a regenerating werewolf to death is, "oh, she let them because she just wanted to be normal".

Like, the classic issue where Xavier gets beaten nearly to death by a gang of anti-mutant college students leads to one of his best moments, where a few issues later he's still debilitated and he has to talk down a vengeful James Proudstar, who wants to murder him with a knife, without the use of his powers. And even in the issue where he gets beaten up, the reader gets his perspective - his anxiety, his fear, his dread, his best efforts to stop the situation from escalating. You feel for him. Here it feels like Rahne is a bit player in the story of her own death.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

Yeah. Also, when this stuff happened to Claremont's characters, it was usually the start of a storyline about them overcoming adversity. Wolfsbane just dies, and because she's not the most popular character and has had like four lines in this whole run, it feels like a cheap way to milk pathos. Especially since the only justification given for how four guys managed to kick a regenerating werewolf to death is, "oh, she let them because she just wanted to be normal".

Like, the classic issue where Xavier gets beaten nearly to death by a gang of anti-mutant college students leads to one of his best moments, where a few issues later he's still debilitated and he has to talk down a vengeful James Proudstar, who wants to murder him with a knife, without the use of his powers. And even in the issue where he gets beaten up, the reader gets his perspective - his anxiety, his fear, his dread, his best efforts to stop the situation from escalating. You feel for him. Here it feels like Rahne is a bit player in the story of her own death.

100%, I was thinking of that precise plotline. When Claremont has Xavier helpless in the face of stupid, bigoted violence, it's in order to, in part, show us about Xavier-- his strength of character as well as the extent to which, perhaps, he'd become reliant on his powers. It's a great moment of vulnerability and development for a character whose physical vulnerability was too often read as his defining feature.

Wolfsbane on the other hand only dies because this run thrives on images of female suffering-- see Blindfold's gratuitous and tacky suicide scene a few months ago. As has been mentioned, there's no reason she doesn't fight back or just, like, shrug it off and leave, other than that this book only exists to give Scott and Logan interminable scenes of grieving and sulking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feeling about X-Men has increasingly become that they can work as a voice for minority issues but if and only if those people have an actual voice in the story, not someone else speaking for them. I think there is a lot of good intention around these things but good intention can't exist in a vacuum or else it risks doing more harm than good. This doesn't necessarily mean they have to be the main writer but if they're not there should be a whole lot of discussion and inclusion before the story is told and real respect needs to be there.

A major thing about this sort of story that I think is an issue is that it's hopeless and depressing and the one big advantage of X-Men is that (as someone mentioned above) they're often about overcoming or growing stronger or learning to feel comfortable with yourself, which is why X-Men has such a strong community of fans who know oppression themselves. It's the sort of thing that allows one to overlook the increasingly dumb metaphor of mutants to Real Issues because there is a catharsis and comfort there. That isn't to say you can never have sad/upsetting X-Men stories (because honestly X-Men needs that to function as a soap opera) but especially in this day and age those readers don't need to be constantly reminded of the danger and isolation and suffering they risk every day just by existing. They are well aware of it.

You can make the argument of "it's not FOR them, it's for the people who hurt them" and yeah, sure, I know there are X-Men fans who've come to realize their crappy behavior thanks to X-Men, but if you're focusing on them to the exclusion of all else it ends up making weird artificial uncomfortable situations like this one, where the coded-as-trans person suffers and dies so other people can learn about it. This happens a lot to characters who are queer or queer-coded in comics where they get genuinely sad and hurtful stories so others can realize how sad it is, without giving anywhere near as much comfort or catharsis as other superheroes get. You're drat lucky to see two women holding hands, let alone kissing, and even more lucky to see two men allowed to be remotely physically affectionate in the way even women are, and it just gets worse from there.

All superheroes suffer and have down sides and misery and terrible stories that poo poo on their character or whatever. It's part of being a superhero. It's just that if you're not a cis white male you'll increasingly find yourself only getting very specific stories and for anyone who is or coded as queer you end up far, far, far more likely to be tragically murdered or tortured. (Part of this is because you're most likely a less popular character but that's part of the problem too. ) This is on top of having already limited or censored storytelling for every other aspect of your character because of the double standard towards traditional hetero relationships and anything else.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the only bad part of Jay becoming an editor at Marvel is the inevitable Dr. Peter Corbeau mini series that leads into a Dr. Peter Corbeau themed summer event where he gets the Infinity Gauntlet or something

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

My feeling about X-Men has increasingly become that they can work as a voice for minority issues but if and only if those people have an actual voice in the story, not someone else speaking for them. I think there is a lot of good intention around these things but good intention can't exist in a vacuum or else it risks doing more harm than good. This doesn't necessarily mean they have to be the main writer but if they're not there should be a whole lot of discussion and inclusion before the story is told and real respect needs to be there.

A major thing about this sort of story that I think is an issue is that it's hopeless and depressing and the one big advantage of X-Men is that (as someone mentioned above) they're often about overcoming or growing stronger or learning to feel comfortable with yourself, which is why X-Men has such a strong community of fans who know oppression themselves. It's the sort of thing that allows one to overlook the increasingly dumb metaphor of mutants to Real Issues because there is a catharsis and comfort there. That isn't to say you can never have sad/upsetting X-Men stories (because honestly X-Men needs that to function as a soap opera) but especially in this day and age those readers don't need to be constantly reminded of the danger and isolation and suffering they risk every day just by existing. They are well aware of it.

You can make the argument of "it's not FOR them, it's for the people who hurt them" and yeah, sure, I know there are X-Men fans who've come to realize their crappy behavior thanks to X-Men, but if you're focusing on them to the exclusion of all else it ends up making weird artificial uncomfortable situations like this one, where the coded-as-trans person suffers and dies so other people can learn about it. This happens a lot to characters who are queer or queer-coded in comics where they get genuinely sad and hurtful stories so others can realize how sad it is, without giving anywhere near as much comfort or catharsis as other superheroes get. You're drat lucky to see two women holding hands, let alone kissing, and even more lucky to see two men allowed to be remotely physically affectionate in the way even women are, and it just gets worse from there.

All superheroes suffer and have down sides and misery and terrible stories that poo poo on their character or whatever. It's part of being a superhero. It's just that if you're not a cis white male you'll increasingly find yourself only getting very specific stories and for anyone who is or coded as queer you end up far, far, far more likely to be tragically murdered or tortured. (Part of this is because you're most likely a less popular character but that's part of the problem too. ) This is on top of having already limited or censored storytelling for every other aspect of your character because of the double standard towards traditional hetero relationships and anything else.

For sure. I feel like if you want to do the "metaphor for minority issues" thing, you need to actually inhabit the characters who are being brutalised, sympathise with them, give them emotional complexity, let them struggle and prevail. It's a dubious enough metaphor in this day and age that you need to put some work into selling it if you want it to come off as meaningful instead of crass and exploitative.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, it's possible for X-men to do a story about a transperson being murdered, but a) it should actually star a transperson, b) it shouldn't be literally the ONLY story about a transperson you've ever done, and c) it should actually be about the transperson, not a bunch of cis white dudes having manpain over their death. This story fails on all three counts.

It's a separate issue, but Rosenberg filling his run with cheap shock deaths doesn't do this story any favors, either.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

the only bad part of Jay becoming an editor at Marvel is the inevitable Dr. Peter Corbeau mini series that leads into a Dr. Peter Corbeau themed summer event where he gets the Infinity Gauntlet or something

I think you mean the best part. :colbert:

Edit: It should also star Harvey & Janet and Bill The Lobster, as well as the aforementioned Space Clone X-Men.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 4, 2019

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The current Uncanny X-Men writer seems to be all over the place, but a glaring plot hole that I noticed is that Moonstar is a main character here, when she's supposed to be stuck on Nate Grey's pocket dimension (Prisoner X book). What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The current Uncanny X-Men writer seems to be all over the place, but a glaring plot hole that I noticed is that Moonstar is a main character here, when she's supposed to be stuck on Nate Grey's pocket dimension (Prisoner X book). What gives?

I think someone mentioned earlier that is an intentional thing that is supposed to get explained later?