Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MomJeans420 posted:

$3200 Cayenne Turbo that's leaking coolant but supposedly ran when last parked?

Looks like it was not kept in great condition (dirty on the inside, cloudy headlights), I'm guessing you're better off with a $9k actually running and clean one from the same year?

Well looking at Bajaha's Cayenne thread, you're gonna spend ten grand on it regardless of your purchase price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Best case it's the coolant pipes under the intake and the turbo coolant tees. So about $600 worth of parts and a long day of labor for a home gamer who knows what they are doing.

I'm sure it's much worse than just that.

E: honestly if it were close to me I'd buy it for parts at $2500, maybe 2800 depending on how if it actually ran right cold.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

Best case it's the coolant pipes under the intake and the turbo coolant tees. So about $600 worth of parts and a long day of labor for a home gamer who knows what they are doing.

I'm sure it's much worse than just that.

E: honestly if it were close to me I'd buy it for parts at $2500, maybe 2800 depending on how if it actually ran right cold.

It was $600 in parts when I did it in 2013 but it's more like $1k now as far as I can tell.

There's also $hundreds in tools you may well not have like reverse torx bits etc. and be sure to enjoy your permanent scars on the inside of your wrist from jamming your hand behind the driver's side block and the firewall to get at some of the pipes. Ask me how I know.

That car getting totaled 3 months later was the icing on the cake.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Bumperplugs came in and look great.

Congratulations on actually getting a better car than the one you sold prematurely!

Car looks dope. Personally I'd go make friends with an upscale body shop guy now and have that bumper patched/resprayed for $600 cash or whatever. It'll be a good relationship to have going forward.

Also that mop next to it, I bet you can get the whole floor done in seconds with that baby.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Residency Evil posted:

Bumperplugs came in and look great.

Dog looks dope. :3:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tremek posted:

It was $600 in parts when I did it in 2013 but it's more like $1k now as far as I can tell.

O yeah, you did that one yourself.

Tremek posted:

That car getting totaled 3 months later was the icing on the cake.

Ooffff....I'm not sure I remembered it was THAT soon after.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Congratulations on actually getting a better car than the one you sold prematurely!

Car looks dope. Personally I'd go make friends with an upscale body shop guy now and have that bumper patched/resprayed for $600 cash or whatever. It'll be a good relationship to have going forward.

Also that mop next to it, I bet you can get the whole floor done in seconds with that baby.

Classic Coachwork on the Mainline fixed my scratched bumper and painted it for about $650 to the other guy's insurance. Going some place where a 3 series is one of the cheaper cars is a solid plan.

Residency Evil, they have a few locations in the Philly suburbs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Dog looks dope. :3:

He's a very good boy.

Alarbus posted:

Classic Coachwork on the Mainline fixed my scratched bumper and painted it for about $650 to the other guy's insurance. Going some place where a 3 series is one of the cheaper cars is a solid plan.

Residency Evil, they have a few locations in the Philly suburbs.

Not quite sure what to do. Other than those four holes, the front is in great shape other than the fact that the ppf is yellowing. I think I might try to do a paint correction/new film next year, and maybe fill them then? It might make more sense for whoever replaces the film to do it (not sure where yet, if anyone has suggestions).

Funny you guys mentioned classic coachwork. Do they have a decent reputation? I live pretty close to them.

Edit: oh man they also own karosserie?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 5, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I work in Radnor, that location is my by office. I think you said you were in a Philly suburb in the house buying thread, I figured you'd be near one of the locations.

I've taken two cars there, and they did a fantastic job both times. So, if you want it filled and painted, I definitely suggest them.b

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bep bep

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Why, hello there!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve been getting some bad thoughts recently and I’m hoping the thread can help me out. I have a lingering dream of owning and restoring a 928 but until I have space to work on it myself it’s just not possible.

Because of the above I’m thinking about starting with something less complex/insane such as a 944 turbo. With all this price fuckery recently I’m getting nervous I’m going to miss my chance at this though. So my question is how daily driveable is a 944 turbo if you can’t work on it yourself?

I don’t need a car to get to work or anything so that makes things easier.

I currently drive a BMW 135i which has proven to be pretty good to me so far but I also have mechanical insurance so I’m not too worried about issues. Will the 944 turbo disappoint me coming from the 135?

Sorry if this rambling and doesn’t make sense I’m just very keen to make my jump to a Porsche.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I think if you’re coming from a 135, an ob 928 would seem like easy mode. There’s no sword of damocles like the gdcs or hpfp hanging over you.

In my 1.5 years of dd’ing a 78, it’s been pretty dead reliable and been in the shop way less than any e46 or e60 i’ve owned. (I wouldn’t work on it myself though.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Because of the above I’m thinking about starting with something less complex/insane such as a 944 turbo. With all this price fuckery recently I’m getting nervous I’m going to miss my chance at this though. So my question is how daily driveable is a 944 turbo if you can’t work on it yourself?

This 100% depends on the condition and whether the maintenance is up to date when you get the car - like with most Porsches. Also, for a turbo reliability is heavily influenced by whether it's been modified and how much.

Don't know where you live/altitude, but unless you're way on up in the mountains I'd suggest a 944S, not a turbo. 80s turbos are still just as awful as they were in the 80s - and that's even more obvious now that there are so many good turbos out there. I love the twisties around me, and ended up selling my turbo because I was always driving the NA - it only takes a couple times of pushing it around a corner and have boost come out of nowhere before that poo poo gets really old. It also feel objectively slower unless you're highway driving or similar - you send all of your time waiting for boost.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 31, 2019

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I drove part way across the country last weekend. San Francisco to Denver.

Love hwy 50 through Nevada. It's easily one of my favorite roads.

This was a scary 15 minutes:

No actual traction issues though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

krysmopompas posted:

I think if you’re coming from a 135, an ob 928 would seem like easy mode. There’s no sword of damocles like the gdcs or hpfp hanging over you.

In my 1.5 years of dd’ing a 78, it’s been pretty dead reliable and been in the shop way less than any e46 or e60 i’ve owned. (I wouldn’t work on it myself though.)

Motronic posted:

This 100% depends on the condition and whether the maintenance is up to date when you get the car - like with most Porsches. Also, for a turbo reliability is heavily influenced by whether it's been modified and how much.

Don't know where you live/altitude, but unless you're way on up in the mountains I'd suggest a 944S, not a turbo. 80s turbos are still just as awful as they were in the 80s - and that's even more obvious now that there are so many good turbos out there. I love the twisties around me, and ended up selling my turbo because I was always driving the NA - it only takes a couple times of pushing it around a corner and have boost come out of nowhere before that poo poo gets really old. It also feel objectively slower unless you're highway driving or similar - you send all of your time waiting for boost.

Interesting about the S vs. Turbo. I just assumed coming from the 135i an S is going to feel very slow. Am I wrong?

For the 928 it would have to be an S4, I just love the look of them so much more. The older style is cool but to me the S4 is perfect.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Check out 968s. They're the ultimate of the 944 transaxle lineage with the best engine and a 6 speed. I miss mine a ton and have to drive past 2 for sale every day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

Check out 968s. They're the ultimate of the 944 transaxle lineage with the best engine and a 6 speed. I miss mine a ton and have to drive past 2 for sale every day.

This is the right solution if one can be found.

Red_Fred posted:

Interesting about the S vs. Turbo. I just assumed coming from the 135i an S is going to feel very slow. Am I wrong?

Yes, a 160HP 4 is going to feel slow compared to a 250+ HP 6. And the Turbo will feel even slower unless you are driving it in a way to keep it in boost all the time.

The 944/S/968 are great cars for what they are, but that thing is handling and momentum, not straight line speed. The turbo is just a weird thing to me that can be fun at times, but it suffers so badly from 80s turbo driving dynamics I no longer wanted to deal with it. Yes, that can be "fixed", but then you're back into your reliability concerns.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
To be fair, if you're looking at 944/928/968's, reliability will always be an issue. Those things require very consistent maintenance. Keep an eye on those timing belts...

I loved my old 944. It was very slow, yet a blast to drive, and made great mechanical sounds rowing through the gears. Well, until you snapped a half shaft or your timing belt decided to slip and/or snap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joe944 posted:

To be fair, if you're looking at 944/928/968's, reliability will always be an issue. Those things require very consistent maintenance. Keep an eye on those timing belts...

I loved my old 944. It was very slow, yet a blast to drive, and made great mechanical sounds rowing through the gears. Well, until you snapped a half shaft or your timing belt decided to slip and/or snap.

Maintenance yes, it's well understood what needs doing and it's a lot more than a modern car. When it's done on time they are generally quite reliable, just maintenance pigs. I drove one that I got back into current maintenance as a daily driver for 7 years. Never once did I worry about a timing belt "deciding" to slip, because they were changed at the proper interval, tensioned properly, and the tension checked at the proper intervals. Sometimes you'd have the odd thing go wrong that wasn't maintenance related, but not once was I ever left stranded. It's a 20+ year old car, so of course you're going to run into some window switch not working, maybe the blower fan goes bad on you, the wiper motor, etc. Sometimes it's even more serious, like a cooling fan relay going bad. But if you're paying attention and are proactive these things don't need to turn into major issues requiring tow trucks.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I bought mine when I was 18 and DD'd it for 10 years. Probably could have done a better job keeping up with maintenance, and I drove the poo poo out of it.

Re-built the head twice during that time period and managed to snap probably 5-6 half shafts. Re-built the whole suspension and all the bushings over the years. Chassis had over 350k miles on it by the time I got rid of it.

Prices on them sure have gone up on them since then too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jymmybob posted:

I do like the 968 but often they are almost double the price of similar condition 944 or 928s. I guess because they made far less of them.

Maybe I should just go all in and just DD a 928 S4 like I really want to...can’t be that much worse than my 135...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Maybe I should just go all in and just DD a 928 S4 like I really want to...can’t be that much worse than my 135...

Other than GT cars, those are the most expensive (inflation adjusted) production cars Porsche has ever made, with parts prices to match. In general they are far less reliable than the 944/951/968/924s, and that entire list has had all of their non-common repair parts send back to be warehoused in Germany, so if you need something specific from a dealership have fun waiting for the next slow boat.

I'm not saying don't do it. I think your should because it will be awesome. But don't be surprised if reliability is a concern, and I believe you said you don't wrench or don't have the space to do so. That could be problematic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I too have always wanted a 928. A GT preferably, but an S4 would be more than acceptable.

I've always been a sucker for big heavy GTs though.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
An 1986.5 was my ideal pick, but I had way more confidence in finding a shop that understands k-jet, rather than the less common l-jet or whatever the later models used (the same as that era saab iirc.)

Having as little as possible connected to the 928s electrical system eliminates entire categories of problems too, and that’s probably why I don’t have a lot of issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Motronic posted:

Other than GT cars, [928s] are the most expensive (inflation adjusted) production cars Porsche has ever made,

Took me forever to figure out you meant Carrera GT and GT1 (I guess) by "GT cars."

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Not just those. GT2, GT3, GT4, 991 911R, newest Speedster (I think), etc. Basically anything from Andreas Preuninger’s side of the house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Not just those. GT2, GT3, GT4, 991 911R, newest Speedster (I think), etc. Basically anything from Andreas Preuninger’s side of the house.

Correct. This is exactly what I meant. You know....the models that start with the letters "GT" plus I guess we can include those others as appropriate. It wasn't meant to be an inclusive list, just shorthand for "not all the production production cars."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone installed a GT3 master cylinder in a 987.2? Is it something that's fairly easy to do? Worth it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, I've been having a problem with my 1986 944 n/a for some time now. I swear I'd figured it out before but can't find the links anymore.

When I first start it (engine cold, regardless of ambient temp) it runs real rough for about sixty seconds. I'd only died once, while I was backing it up and didn't give it enough gas, but it sits there and sputters pretty bad. After about sixty seconds its fine.

If, at any point I put the throttle all the way to the floor, the symptoms switch until I do it again. It'll start OK, but the idle will surge constantly.

I think it had to do with some kind of WOT sensor, though in my mind a MAF or temp sensor would make more sense. Before I throw parts at it (I seem to remember the sensor I needed was a couple hundred bucks) has anybody seen this before?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Disconnect the IACV (or do the pin jumpering thing) and see if it still acts like that when cold. Sounds like it may not be working or is having trouble spinning up right away.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Disconnect the IACV (or do the pin jumpering thing) and see if it still acts like that when cold. Sounds like it may not be working or is having trouble spinning up right away.

I disconnected it and it didn't make any difference. I have reconnected it.

Any other thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I disconnected it and it didn't make any difference. I have reconnected it.

Any other thoughts?

CornHolio posted:

I think it had to do with some kind of WOT sensor, though in my mind a MAF or temp sensor would make more sense. Before I throw parts at it (I seem to remember the sensor I needed was a couple hundred bucks) has anybody seen this before?

FYI, your WOT sensor is only idle or WOT, everything else is just in between (unlike the turbos that have a full range throttle position sensor). You might want to check that it's working for idle. Just lightly move the throttle cam and see if you can hear it click off, let if fall back and see if you can hear it click. If not you can looses the adjusting screws on the TPS and move it. You want it to click EVERY TIME you let off the throttle, but not be sloppy with it. Edit here: this was what I was getting at the the IACV test - it will NEVER turn on unless the TPS is showing idle)

You also don't have a MAF. You have an AFM with a moving barn door. Take off the J boot when it's cold and see if the AFM is feeling sticky. It could be getting stuck closed when cold and having a tough time moving until it gets moved a bunch/warms up.

The AFM also has a temp sensor, but from what I can remember I don't think it would cause this kind of problem. I'd have to dig out the FSM to check on how you test that - I think it's a simple as a multimeter. (Testing the angle of the AFM is a lot more complicated - you have to power it).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 10, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

PCA—Porsche Panorama, the multiple-award-winning official publication of the Porsche Club of America, has teamed up with bestselling author Alma Katsu and illustrator Victor Santos, creator of the ground-breaking webcomic “Polar” (now a major Netflix® release), to produce “Spy Collector.” The graphic novel is a globe-skirting, Porsche-centric fictional spy tale involving a recently deceased vintage Porsche collector who took to the grave a Cold War-era secret that remains dangerous enough in the present to kill for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
rip dirk pitt

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Turbo failed on my wife's Macan, just out of warranty. They're going to see if Porsche will goodwill it.

:homebrew:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well poo poo. How many miles?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Well poo poo. How many miles?

Got it as a 2017 in fall 2016. 60k miles. Seems like a long shot but the dealer says they've had luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Is that a base or S? We traded our S in for a CX9 last year because we wanted more room but I always wondered if the PDK or engine had problems down the line. Such a good car though.