Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody else getting a ton of old My Nintendo emails today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

5 was like a lunch game right? At least pretty close to it and I'm surprised it hasn't dropped in price more.

I dunno if I'd go that far, but one of the characters is pretty obsessed with curry, and eventually you'll unlock a base facility that lets you cook food made of random items to obtain buffs for all of your characters during battle.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Astro7x posted:

Anybody else getting a ton of old My Nintendo emails today?

I got one congratulating me for buying Super Mario Party. I bought it when it came out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Atomizer posted:

All I'm sayin' is that I'm trying to smack monsters with a stick and my stick keeps breaking! :saddowns:

(I must re-emphasize that I'm right at the beginning of the game.)

(I'm also assuming that this is a controversial topic here? :rolleyes:)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's funny, when I was like right in the middle of BOTW, just exploring and finding shrines everywhere and completely immersed in this world, I was ready to say it was one of the best games I've ever played.

Now that I'm almost at the end (just DLC stuff and Ganon left), I'm not sure I would give it that high of a grade. Plenty of people in this thread have gone over the problems – rain is a big letdown, the visual design/repetition in the shrines, side quests, crafting, etc. Also, I can't believe Nintendo got away with making Epona into DLC. Weirdly though, durability never bothered me too much.

That said, I kinda feel like I'm turning into one of those memes about steam reviews – I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 500 HOURS AND IT SUCKS! – like this kept my interest for 110+ hours, there's something there.

More than anything I want to know what Nintendo is going to take from this game. There's so much cool stuff they could use in the next title, whether it's something that reuses content like in Majora or a completely fresh installment on the Switch 2. I would hope they resist the temptation to just add more and more – 60 shrines would be a lot more exciting for me than 240.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just finished replaying Link's Awakening in anticipation of the remake and I still can't get over how bleak and nihilistic the ending is.

Also, I hope that they keep the Bucket Mouse line intact so it can confuse the hell out of a new generation of players.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Considering how loving smart their GDC talk about BotW level design was they might not need to learn much more. Just gimme coop or like Lorule BotW

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Space Hyrule

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space Zelda with Starfox bonus modes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Black Stones posted:

I got one congratulating me for buying Super Mario Party. I bought it when it came out.

Today I got 7 emails

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's funny, when I was like right in the middle of BOTW, just exploring and finding shrines everywhere and completely immersed in this world, I was ready to say it was one of the best games I've ever played.

Now that I'm almost at the end (just DLC stuff and Ganon left), I'm not sure I would give it that high of a grade. Plenty of people in this thread have gone over the problems – rain is a big letdown, the visual design/repetition in the shrines, side quests, crafting, etc. Also, I can't believe Nintendo got away with making Epona into DLC. Weirdly though, durability never bothered me too much.

That said, I kinda feel like I'm turning into one of those memes about steam reviews – I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 500 HOURS AND IT SUCKS! – like this kept my interest for 110+ hours, there's something there.

More than anything I want to know what Nintendo is going to take from this game. There's so much cool stuff they could use in the next title, whether it's something that reuses content like in Majora or a completely fresh installment on the Switch 2. I would hope they resist the temptation to just add more and more – 60 shrines would be a lot more exciting for me than 240.

The game has deep, structural flaws, and is actually pretty shallow. This is no way prevents it from being better than most other games

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

5 was like a lunch game right? At least pretty close to it and I'm surprised it hasn't dropped in price more.

It did go 50% off once or twice. It's definitely superb at being what it is, which is not necessarily for everyone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

It did go 50% off once or twice. It's definitely superb at being what it is, which is not necessarily for everyone.

I know it’s worth it I’m just being cheap because I have lots of other games to play.

I love the series though.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
For those going digital only, does Nintendo have a reliable account system now where you feel like your purchases are safe even if your system fail?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Willo567 posted:

For those going digital only, does Nintendo have a reliable account system now where you feel like your purchases are safe even if your system fail?

Now? Yes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Now? Yes.

I was just curious because I'm thinking about starting to buy indie games on the Switch instead of Steam. It just seems more convenient, but I wanted to get some opinions on it

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Willo567 posted:

Yeah. You can log in on any other switch, download, and play any game you bought digitally. You can also set a different switch as your home system so you don't need to be online to launch or resume a downloaded title.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kris xK posted:

Honestly if you're interested in SRPGs or Disgaea just go straight to 5. Its easily the best, has all the features/improvements of previous gens, and does NOT feature a "10000 Year old Demon that looks like a 13 year old" making boob jokes.

Item world song in 2 is way better though, that's my only disagreement with this

Cyber Dance ftw

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

The game has deep, structural flaws, and is actually pretty shallow. This is no way prevents it from being better than most other games

For how large and complex it is it does an amazing job of getting out of its own way and it turns out that's enough to be great.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I picked up A Hole New World on a whim since it's on sale. I didn't know what it was and the cover art is kinda cheap looking but the game has some nice 8-bitlike Sprite art and is so far a pretty fun little NES style action platformer. It's apparently also multiplayer but I haven't tried that mode. It's three bucks right now, definitely worth it for that price. It has a gimmick that seems potentially interesting. Every time you fall into a hole the character flips upside down and you platform on the ceiling of a cave or something.

Heath fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 4, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

American McGay posted:

You can get a Switch for $299 with a free game and you can find a Pro Controller on Amazon for $60.

That Best Buy deal is over now.

I missed it. :rip:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
this thread was asking about niece games a couple hundred posts ago

so this is pretty late and also not on the switch, but Johnathan Blow's The Witness is a pretty great game for kids. if you ever remember getting all 120 stars in mario 64 and still tried to uncover more secrets in the game, then you could relate to the sense of potential wonderment The Witness has.

it's not on the switch though. which is weird, because it's on the Nvidia Shield. so it's a matter of time. regardless, it's been given away in numerous steam bundles, it's been on Play station Plus, it's been given away on the Epic Store, so you probably have a copy of it somewhere.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ItBreathes posted:

The game has deep, structural flaws, and is actually pretty shallow. This in no way prevents it from being better than most other games

:yeah:

ya like the mario 64 of open world games and it’s obnoxious how everything else did and does keep getting it wrong

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Bundles are generally awful and used as a way to unload a bunch of crap that wouldn't normally sell (3/5) of that bundle.

You can get a Switch for $299 with a free game and you can find a Pro Controller on Amazon for $60.

FYI I got my Switch for ~$220 and a pro controller for ~$45 on Amazon. The former was a Warehouse Deal with the 20% off special from a couple weeks ago, and the latter was used from a private party; both came in like-new condition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant imagine giving a child a copy of the witness and expecting them to enjoy it solo. Even outside how little I like the game, it purposefuly lacks strong feedback or guidance so anyone just getting into gaming is liable to have a rough time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don’t know why I’d buy The Witness when the Picross S games have better experiences in both puzzle solving and emotional depth told through its gameplay and general presentation. Picross is a fantastic tool to process my thoughts and truly understand my meaninglessness in the world while watching a story develop with the shattered pieces of a ruined world being unearthed and slowly brought back to life thanks to my expert Picross skills.

Pic a Plix is like that except you’re at a carnival and a clown is trying to murder you.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Are all of Wargroove’s console ports identical? I could play it for free on my xbox game pass sub, but hell i’d pay the $30aus whatever on the eshop if the switch version was better or had touch controls, amiibo support, etc

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gimme a freaking Advance Wars Lash amiibo, ninty

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Are all of Wargroove’s console ports identical? I could play it for free on my xbox game pass sub, but hell i’d pay the $30aus whatever on the eshop if the switch version was better or had touch controls, amiibo support, etc

Doesn't seem to do any of that. I'd try it out for free on Xbox and if you like it enough to want it all the time get for Switch. I'm not far along, but it's a decent mish-mash of FE and AW, while remaining its own unique thing. I think the level design has been pretty good so far, and I imagine that it must be tough designing good levels for games like these. It's hard to get a S-Rank, but you can slog through most fights, which I know is not everyone's thing, but I always appreciated it in AW because I figure that's what war is really like. Just a meat-grinder where the one with more resources eventually pulls through.

Above all though it's charming as all hell to look at. The artwork is really good in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nah, its the same game. Play it on Bone and but on switch if you want

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, I got a Newsletter from Nintendo advertising Cadence of Hyrule as coming out soon. On that same email we get the Resident Evils and their date as well as AC 3 and its date, both being the 21st of May. So that'd seem like it'll come out no later than mid-June?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Odd Mutant posted:

this thread was asking about niece games a couple hundred posts ago

so this is pretty late and also not on the switch, but Johnathan Blow's The Witness is a pretty great game for kids. if you ever remember getting all 120 stars in mario 64 and still tried to uncover more secrets in the game, then you could relate to the sense of potential wonderment The Witness has.

it's not on the switch though. which is weird, because it's on the Nvidia Shield. so it's a matter of time. regardless, it's been given away in numerous steam bundles, it's been on Play station Plus, it's been given away on the Epic Store, so you probably have a copy of it somewhere.

I loved Myst as a kid and The Witness is not dissimilar to Myst, so kids enjoying it tracks logically.

In fact, I have The Witness on my iPad and my three-year-old daughter likes playing it!

But by "playing it" I mean she asks for help opening the tunnel door and then wanders around the starting area for awhile looking at the things there. Which is fine, she's three, the fact that the understands"tap where I want to go" and "drag finger to change where I'm looking" still kinda blows my mind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

:yeah:

ya like the mario 64 of open world games and it’s obnoxious how everything else did and does keep getting it wrong

Please dont compare mario 64 to some horny goat simulator knock off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was browsing the OP and wanted to know what are you’re preferred accessories. I really doubt I wanna just toss my new shiny toy in my bag when I go to play Magic or whatever, so what case or Screen protector is most en vogue? All the stuff in the OP still good?

Also what’s the memory situation. I never tried to replace the HDD on my PS4 Pro, but obviously I had no problem replacing the SD card on my 3DS. I am exclusively digital, how big of a memory upgrade will I need to get all the big games like Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kart etc without having to get multiples?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Any chance Metal Gear Solid 3 shows up on Switch? I think I may just buy it for the 3DS, is that version any good?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can buy a screen protector from Wish or AliExpress for like €2 and it'll make the screen look vastly better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Any chance Metal Gear Solid 3 shows up on Switch? I think I may just buy it for the 3DS, is that version any good?

Nope. I've played it now on PS3, Vita and 3DS and the 3DS port just feels awful. It runs 20fps locked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope. I've played it now on PS3, Vita and 3DS and the 3DS port just feels awful. It runs 20fps locked.

That sounds rough. Ok. Probably not worth it for that even when I don't much care for FPS generally speaking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

. I am exclusively digital, how big of a memory upgrade will I need to get all the big games like Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kart etc without having to get multiples?

Sorry meant to reply to this as well. Probably go for a 256Gb if you can get one. Or two 128s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is absolutely terrible and sold like it.

Also given Konami's track record expect for them to make a compilation with it in 2025 and inexplicably introduce dozens of bugs.