Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Desiden posted:

The "family giving beers to kids" bit was somewhat common among my cohort growing up white trash in rural America in the 70s and 80s. Especially around hunting.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting this is good or healthy or anything. There's a reason I can count my years of sobriety these days. But I do remember the culture shock moving out of that environment and finding out that no, most people did not get a can of schlitz as a reward for shooting squirrels futzing around the neighbor's garden.

Grew up in Australia in the 80s. Wasn't uncommon here either. You're 10 or 12 and you do a day of yard work or split a stack of firewood or paint the fence or gopher for your dad while he works on a car or something, and you get a beer at the end. Usually a light or a pot glass. 1 standard drink. And it signals "you finished and did a good job". Most of my friends had something like that going on and so did i.

I think it was supposed to teach you that grown-up work = grown-up reward, but what it actually taught people was that when you finish working, you start drinking.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Hey, I grew up there/then too. I remember my dad offering me drinks but I never liked the taste. Judging from how he was later I think I dodged a bit of a bullet there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's not a great move to do but it's not really that weird, lots of parents of that generation saw it as a more 'you did a big person thing, here's a big person reward' thing than 'whoo let's get this kid hosed UP' or whatever.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Of all the things that stuck out about the Ernie Gygax story for me, GG offering him beer didn't really rank. Like there's the bit about him becoming a cocaine dealer? Or beating up his dad. Or bragging about how he had ALL the chicks (who were of course to blame for all the problems in his life.)

I hated reading it, but I also couldn't stop.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What made me :stare: was

quote:

Dad listened to me and took a flight to Tampa to aid me in taking this Monkey off the back. Part of his answer was for us to go out and get drunk on legal margaritas and then somehow he took sides with Kelly against me ... From inside the van I spidered all 9 windows and when he further said, "now that is an intelligent way to handle this." I fought him to the ground until he stopped fighting back (our father had used physical force to dominate us and sometimes his wife so I was following right in his stupid footsteps – just as I had in so many good ones with gaming).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The ultra-casual misogyny of "low-hanging women" actually got one of the biggest reactions out of me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

For someone who professed at the end to have "learned a new respect for women" the ways in which he refers to them all throughout that story sure as gently caress don't show it.
Glad he's in the process of turning his life around. Hope he realises he might still have a long way to go.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Does anyone have any idea what's up with the Savage Worlds Robotech RPG that showed up on DTRPG? After Palladium lost the Robotech license, a company called Strange Machine announced some board games and more recently Robotech: The Macross Saga Role Playing Game, so either Harmony-Gold licensed it to two different companies or there's some shenanigans going on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sexpig by night posted:

Yea it's not a great move to do but it's not really that weird, lots of parents of that generation saw it as a more 'you did a big person thing, here's a big person reward' thing than 'whoo let's get this kid hosed UP' or whatever.
This is all enigmatic to me since my mother let me taste whiskey once (hated it) and when I was fifteen or sixteen I was offered a quarter glass of red wine when we had a nice roast dinner or something, but it does kind of show that America sure isn't uniform.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

Does anyone have any idea what's up with the Savage Worlds Robotech RPG that showed up on DTRPG? After Palladium lost the Robotech license, a company called Strange Machine announced some board games and more recently Robotech: The Macross Saga Role Playing Game, so either Harmony-Gold licensed it to two different companies or there's some shenanigans going on.
I'm phoneposting right now so I can't find it. But I remember that Harmony Gold lost the ability to sublicense it after some ridiculous overreach with how they were running things.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Ewen Cluney posted:

Both games have been talked about in the SMG discord server as of several months ago at least, where the SMG crew openly mentioned there being two games and that the SW version by Battlefield Press had an expected release date before SMG's own.

So it's a known quantity in any case and I assume HG did a double license or something along those lines.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

taichara posted:

So it's a known quantity in any case and I assume HG did a double license or something along those lines.

Or they both said "gently caress it", possibly because the HG copyright on SMG's site runs through 2017, which is when they got their asses handed to them in court. If you dig a little in their forums there is a beta of their game available. They also seem to have two simple boardgames available.

NB: the Savage Worlds version on DTRPG is not complete, you need the SW rules to actually play.

To make things weirder, there's a third company doing Robotech games, but they're using a pledge manager nobody has ever heard of. https://bravefrontier.pledgemanager.com/projects/robotech-crisis-point/participate/ On the other hand, BGG says their first Robotech game exists and doesn't suck (7.5 rating).

What a time to be alive !

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I think pointing out how common it is is both not helpful because... yeah alcohol overuse is an issue and but it also misses the whole point of a father getting his son addicted to his first drug because it was convenient to the parent. Like... yeah, we overuse alcohol and that's what started this poor dude's problems what does "it was(is) common in places ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" even do except detract from the seriousness of it

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I always got to drink a glass of wine (usually with dinner) if my parents were having some. /shrug

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I think people miss that he was being given booze as part of a reward system for good behavior, which to me makes is significantly more hosed up.
' if I could stay still long enough, more glasses of beer would be the reward'

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yeah, when I was young I would sometimes get A glass of wine or beer with dinner, but a) this wasn't part of a reward system and b) IT STOPPED AT ONE. I wasn't getting tipsy as a reward for pleasing my parents.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Darwinism posted:

what does "it was(is) common in places ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" even do except detract from the seriousness of it

It illustrates the pervasiveness of the problem: the beginning of Ernie Gygax's journey into substance abuse was no freakish coincidence. Also:

counterspin posted:

I think people miss that he was being given booze as part of a reward system for good behavior, which to me makes is significantly more hosed up.
' if I could stay still long enough, more glasses of beer would be the reward'

Right. There's a key difference between "alcohol on special occasions, supervised by the parents, independent of your behavior" and "good work kid, you're so grown up, have a beer."

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Also sounds like he was on the spectrum? Regardless of that, being whipped by his mother with a switch, and other corporeal punishments, for underachieving in in school, is alarming.

vvvv Are we assuming goons turned out fine haha. Anyway physical abuse for misbehavior is common, but I have not heard of abuse based purely on grades, whipping your child with a switch to get their reading level up.

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I dunno, I'm getting more of a, "I got spanked and turned out fine," vibe than a, "yeah this is a serious problem," vibe from all the people chiming in to say how normal it is and nothing else.

And yeah, as I mentioned, the part where his dad got him addicted because it was convenient for the dad is truly the most hosed up part.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've said it many times before and it bears repeating: Gary Gygax was a goddamn psychopath.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In conclusion, the tabletop gaming scene in the 1970s-80s was a land of contrasts

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've said it many times before and it bears repeating: Gary Gygax was a goddamn psychopath.

I saw you post that earlier, considered asking for details, and then this fell across my lap like a drunk middle schooler.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Apparently after he divorced his wife he moved to hollywood and spent his time loving supermodels and running D&D games for celebrities when he wasn't hosting massive parties(where he hosed supermodels)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think three years of absolute sobriety is the leather armor anniversary.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Darwinism posted:

I dunno, I'm getting more of a, "I got spanked and turned out fine," vibe than a, "yeah this is a serious problem," vibe from all the people chiming in to say how normal it is and nothing else.

"It was normal" =/= "It was fine". It took me until my 30s to unfuck my attitudes around booze and manliness/adulthood. A bunch of my friends haven't done that and probably won't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also, children are not algorithms where planting X input results in Y experience and Z adulthood. What somebody copes with well or adapts to can't be remotely generalized.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Of course not on an individual basis, but don't discount observable trends and behaviors.

For instance, there's a lot of evidence for the children of smokers growing up to be smokers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I largely meant "I turned out okay!" is a pretty lousy defense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, definitely. There's a tremendous number of factors that go into growing up, but it's hard to draw on something other than your own experience.

Underage drinking seems to be a regional thing and a normal part of some cultures - but it sounds like things in the Gygax household went way beyond what anybody would consider normal.

This wasn't wine on Thanksgiving, champagne on New Year's, or even a semi-regular beer after chores. Gygax was sedating his kid with alcohol. That's not comparable to any of the anecdotes shared ITT.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

This wasn't wine on Thanksgiving, champagne on New Year's, or even a semi-regular beer after chores. Gygax was sedating his kid with alcohol. That's not comparable to any of the anecdotes shared ITT.

It's not.

But it also wasn't that uncommon to sedate your kids 50+ years ago.

I mean, night formula cough syrup as daily "bedtime medicine" was still a thing in the 80s. My gran would talk about how other mums in the 50s would use a mixture of honey and whiskey to get the kids to sleep (she was horrified - not that it happened at all, but that some parents would do it all the time). Before the 30s you could buy "Children's Sleep Formula" or whatever that was partly or even primarily opiates. Before that they just cut out the middlemen and had no pretense that it was anything other than "Oh, kid's teething, is it? Yeah, opium'll shut them up".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 5, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember hearing about how "the kids today" are overmedicated by lazy adults who'd rather buy adderall than parent,* and it's weird seeing that same sentiment on an old timey newspaper cartoon.

It's weird that we have always had such hosed-up views of mental health, childhood, parenting, and substance abuse. They're so intensely personal, but we keep making the same mistakes a hundred years later.

(*Which was an incredibly harmful way to view mental health treatment. If your kids need medicine, buy them medicine. You can't discipline them out of ADD any more than you could for a kidney infection.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean even beyond "give the kid beer to manage them," fast forward and you arrive at "I tried to quit drugs, and my dad's solution was to take me out on a bender, and then we had a physical fight, kinda like how he always physically fought all of his kids and his wife."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

I remember hearing about how "the kids today" are overmedicated by lazy adults who'd rather buy adderall than parent,* and it's weird seeing that same sentiment on an old timey newspaper cartoon.

It's weird that we have always had such hosed-up views of mental health, childhood, parenting, and substance abuse. They're so intensely personal, but we keep making the same mistakes a hundred years later.

(*Which was an incredibly harmful way to view mental health treatment. If your kids need medicine, buy them medicine. You can't discipline them out of ADD any more than you could for a kidney infection.)

"The poor child's nurse" stuff wasn't anti children's opiates, it's was pro moderate/responsible administration of opiates to children.

You could buy legal kiddy-branded morphine over the counter in most places in the USA up until a few years before Gygax was born.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Sax Solo posted:

Also sounds like he was on the spectrum? Regardless of that, being whipped by his mother with a switch, and other corporeal punishments, for underachieving in in school, is alarming.

vvvv Are we assuming goons turned out fine haha. Anyway physical abuse for misbehavior is common, but I have not heard of abuse based purely on grades, whipping your child with a switch to get their reading level up.

Count yourself lucky. I know this sort of poo poo first hand. And thirdhand too. And this was in the late 80s. What worries me is that many victims of abuse become some of the worst abusers themselves the second they get a chance.

The poo poo Gary G did was and still is way too goddamned common. He at least spent time with his kids when he wasn't abusing substances so uh... yay? Lots of parents don't or are just too tired from work to even if they wanted to. (Then there are the LIVING THROUGH THEIR KIDS Tiger Moms or Sports Dads or all sorts of other idiotic bullshit parents push on their kids. Most people get into whatever their parents and peer groups indoctrinate into them. Religion. Sports. This or that. It's how it is. poo poo is hosed but it's how it is.)

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Hey, I just want to show you a cool thing I'm a part of: the San Jenaro CoOp, a game-creator coop where we publish together and each have a share. There's a better explanation in the interview here:

https://twitter.com/insertquesthere/status/1125182312738508800

Also, well, ask me questions if you're interested i'm a part of it. I did two games: The Celestial Instrument, a game about living inside a giant magical mech and fighting back against the evil demons that have overrun it, and In Vino Veritas, a one-page Larp/drinking game where you lie to your friend about having slept with his ex/ruined his shoes/destroyed their favorite thing

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
https://twitter.com/Owen_Stephens/status/1126207820464939008

I've seen some bold plagiarism moves in RPGs in my time... and this is one of them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man all they had to do was plagiarize something not owned by WotC (or paizo or another major publisher) and no one would have noticed.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Uh... so what's going on with Stonemaier Games?

http://www.tabletopwire.com/stonemaier-games-to-refuse-to-sell-to-retailers-who-spread-false-information-about-the-company/

What misinformation was being spread?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Maybe it (still) has to do with the allegations of Scythe having copied artwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SilverMike posted:

Maybe it (still) has to do with the allegations of Scythe having copied artwork?

I'd heard those allegations - are they fibs?