Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cyrano4747 posted:

whatever caveman figured out bashing your fellow tribesman's head in with a rock to take his wife and sweet cloak wasn't optimal for a smoothly functioning society.

don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The virgin society-dweller and the chad caveman

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hunter-gatherers obtain sustenance like THIS

Agriculturalists obtain sustenance like THIS

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I love the face on that glyptodon. "Just ignore them Greg. You are better than this. Just keep walking."

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Mr Enderby posted:

I love the face on that glyptodon. "Just ignore them Greg. You are better than this. Just keep walking."

And the hump (?) makes it look like he's hunched over scowling, which makes it even better.

Edit: Actually, would humans even be able to kill that thing with spears? That armor looks pretty tough.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 3, 2019

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Guildencrantz posted:

Edit: Actually, would humans even be able to kill that thing with spears? That armor looks pretty tough.

The humans make repeated attempts to kill the glyptodon. The attacks fail physically but they confirm in the glyptodon a suspicion that the world is ultimately hostile and vulnerability precedes betrayal. The glyptodon retreats into interiority and self pity. The humans gently caress around having noisy barbecues, while the glyptodon dies alone and unloved. Some humans build a house out of its shell, and gently caress inside it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/DrSueOosthuizen/status/1123486595905204224

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why did it take me so long to read any primary sources I'm reading Caesar now and it's super exciting and honestly way better written than any modern history book about the Gallic wars I've read

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of primary sources are pretty dull, to be honest. I'm not sure if it's the actual primary source or the academic tendency to translate everything into overwrought Victorian English instead of something more readable. I am not remotely fluent in either Latin or Greek so I've never read anything in the original languages. Caesar was writing specifically as propaganda to be read out for the general population so it's in a punchier, simpler style in the original too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'm assuming that it's a combination of Caesar being designed for mass consumption and the Landmark translation's aim at a lay audience but I'm seriously more into this than anything I've read in a while. There might not be many ancient writings that have the same punch but I assume like at least two of Herodotus, Thucydides and Xenophon would

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xenophon is pretty great.

I love his inspirational speech about hoe horses are useless

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Poor Bucephalus, thought of his shadow and died.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'm assuming that it's a combination of Caesar being designed for mass consumption and the Landmark translation's aim at a lay audience but I'm seriously more into this than anything I've read in a while. There might not be many ancient writings that have the same punch but I assume like at least two of Herodotus, Thucydides and Xenophon would

The Landmark Herodotus is excellent.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tunicate posted:

the anabasis fuckin rips, yeah. very vivid and down to earth

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I enjoyed arrian's book about Alexander the Great (in translation), that's also called anabasis I think

twelve emperors or whatever by seutonius was okay

Gibbon is practically original source at this point and reading between the lines to get a view of the times it was written in was fun. gibbon was the all time best snarky footnote writer, too

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I found Ammianus Marcellinus to be a fairly fun read

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

King of False Promises posted:

The Landmark Herodotus is excellent.

Yeah I'm still pretty salty that there is now a landmark edition of xenophon's hellenica, and a landmark of Arian's anabasis, but no landmark xenophon's anabasis, what the gently caress

[

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I'm still pretty salty that there is now a landmark edition of xenophon's hellenica, and a landmark of Arian's anabasis, but no landmark xenophon's anabasis, what the gently caress

[

Their website says that's up next

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

[

No dogs. Therefore not Xenophon's best work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
An example of the kind of excitement I'm getting from just reading Caesar instead of a history book about Caesar is in book three of the Gallic Wars when he goes into great length about how the Veniti boats are superior to Roman ships in the stormy Atlantic in basically every way, lists all the things that don't work on them, like ramming them, grappling them, building towers on your boats to get higher up, etc. Only when the actual pitched battle is fought does he reveal that he had come up with the strategy of using improvised polearms to cut the ropes connecting the mast to the hull to render their sails useless

Both compelling to read just as a piece of exciting literature and full of cool little historical tidbits I've missed by not reading primary sources and am now kicking myself over (Romans built towers on their boats to try to get the high ground over other boats! That's really cool!)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Epicurius posted:

No dogs. Therefore not Xenophon's best work.

Arian's Cynegeticus is better anyway because it has Horme

quote:

While I am at home she remains by my side, and accompanies me when I go out, following me to the gymnasium, and, while I am exercising, sits by me. On my return home, she runs in front of me, often looking to see whether I had turned off the road; and as soon as she catches sight of me, shows symptoms of joy, and again, turns and trots in front of me. If I am going out on any government business, she remains with my friend, and treats him exactly the same. If she has not seen either of us for a short time, she jumps up repeatedly by way of greeting, and barks with joy. At meals she pats us, with one foot and the other, to remind us to feed fer.

Having been beaten with a whip as a puppy, if anyone, even to this day, mentions a whip, she will come up to the speaker cowering and begging, and will jump up and hang on their neck, applying her mouth to theirs as if to kiss them, and will not let go until she is appeased.

Now really I do not think that I should be ashamed to write the name of this dog; so that it may be left to posterity.

[I] had a greyhound named Horme, who was of the greatest speed and intelligence and, was altogether excellent.

cheetah7071 posted:

Their website says that's up next

It's been listed as in development for over a decade now.

"Polybius, Xenophon’s Anabasis, and
other titles are in process with no
scheduled publication dates. As more
information becomes available, it
will be posted on the site."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cheetah7071 posted:

An example of the kind of excitement I'm getting from just reading Caesar instead of a history book about Caesar is in book three of the Gallic Wars when he goes into great length about how the Veniti boats are superior to Roman ships in the stormy Atlantic in basically every way, lists all the things that don't work on them, like ramming them, grappling them, building towers on your boats to get higher up, etc. Only when the actual pitched battle is fought does he reveal that he had come up with the strategy of using improvised polearms to cut the ropes connecting the mast to the hull to render their sails useless

Both compelling to read just as a piece of exciting literature and full of cool little historical tidbits I've missed by not reading primary sources and am now kicking myself over (Romans built towers on their boats to try to get the high ground over other boats! That's really cool!)

The Romans were really bad at boats.

DCXCIX–DCC AUC: In which Bad Boat Republic invades Good (!) Cav Island

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Platystemon posted:

i thought that from late antiquity until...way too far into the middle ages, boat combat was land combat on a boat, complete with towers and catapults

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

Everything about Caesar's naval campaigns against the Veneti and his cross-Channel raid on Britain is amazing and it pisses me off there aren't more sources about it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

DCXCIX–DCC AUC: In which Bad Boat Republic invades Good (!) Cav Island

The Romans got good at boats when they mounted flamethrowers on them, I don't know what you're talking about :v:.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Gato posted:

The Romans got good at boats when they mounted flamethrowers on them, I don't know what you're talking about :v:.

“The Romans”

Paging Byzantine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

“The Romans”

Paging Byzantine.

bold stance to take in this thread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh, I know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should have used some weasel words and suggested I meant only that they “were” bad at boats in the first third of their twenty‐two‐century history.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Probably the best Roman boat story is that time the Vandals conquered Africa thereby cutting the economic lifeline of the empire in Italy, so the Eastern Emperor understandably freaked out at the possibility of his sister empire being destroyed and his imperial colleague dethroned on his watch, so spent hundreds of thousands of pounds building a fleet of over 1000 boats to help the Western Empire reconquer Africa. Then when they actually showed up, they got distracted negotiating and the Vandals sneakily torched half the fleet in a single night and the Western Empire collapsed within ten years lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

Probably the best Roman boat story is that time the Vandals conquered Africa thereby cutting the economic lifeline of the empire in Italy, so the Eastern Emperor understandably freaked out at the possibility of his sister empire being destroyed and his imperial colleague dethroned on his watch, so spent hundreds of thousands of pounds building a fleet of over 1000 boats to help the Western Empire reconquer Africa. Then when they actually showed up, they got distracted negotiating and the Vandals sneakily torched half the fleet in a single night and the Western Empire collapsed within ten years lol

Thank the worst ever emperor for that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

i thought that from late antiquity until...way too far into the middle ages, boat combat was land combat on a boat, complete with towers and catapults

Nah it was about ramming. The Romans were godawful at it in the First Punic War, so they decided "well, we're good at stabbing" and invented the corvus so they could just latch onto a Carthaginian boat and send over soldiers to murder everyone. Eventually they figured out actual boat combat and ditched the corvus.

Basically everyone was riding around in a big torpedo and the goal was to slam the other dude before you got slammed. The only real variation was the period when Roman flamethrower ships were loving up anyone dumb enough to try them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

HEY GUNS posted:

It was waaaaaaayyyy more complicated than that. I had started a series of effortpost a long while ago about Classical and Hellenistic navies but never finished. I should probably do that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah it was about ramming. The Romans were godawful at it in the First Punic War, so they decided "well, we're good at stabbing" and invented the corvus so they could just latch onto a Carthaginian boat and send over soldiers to murder everyone. Eventually they figured out actual boat combat and ditched the corvus.

Basically everyone was riding around in a big torpedo and the goal was to slam the other dude before you got slammed. The only real variation was the period when Roman flamethrower ships were loving up anyone dumb enough to try them.

I was trying to look up stuff about the Byzantine navy and apparently during the Imperial period it seems like everyone just kind of forgot about rams. Like Isidore of Seville writing in the The Etymologies describes ships that still have a small, vestigial ram, but suggests that their purpose is to protect the hull from rocks.

I had a hard time finding any details but in the byzantine period at some point ships started including a kind of rigid projecting wooden beak or spur above the prow, which may have been used for ramming? It's hard to find details. However being above the waterline I don't think they would flood ships the way ancient rams would, though they could have busted oars or even capsized ships.

12th century illustration of a naval battle between the Byzantines and Rus. The description says the Romans are using the spurs to smash oars but it looks more like they are capsizing ships to me

model of a 16th century Venetian galley showing the spur

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

Middle Ages nothin', I think I may have gotten the wrong impression of the Battle of Midway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you think about it everyone is really in the air force except submariners and sappers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Basiliscus fled to sanctuary in a church, but he was betrayed by Acacius and surrendered himself and his family after extracting a solemn promise from Zeno not to shed their blood. Basiliscus, his wife Aelia Zenonis and his son Marcus were sent to a fortress in Cappadocia,[26] where Zeno had them enclosed in a dry cistern, to die from exposure.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I'm sure he was like "fair enough, no foul, I did kinda walk into that one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the cistern thing reminds me of the huge cistern they had in constantinople (apparently there's at least one other big one still around). the water infrastructure of the romans is fairly well known as far as engineering goes, but i still wish we knew more. they did aqueducts, fracking, water-driven factories, and roman captive engineers designed a weir-based irrigation system in Persia. and the egyptians were still doing their ancient thing...

i read that mesopotamia used the elevation difference between the euphrates and tigris to irrigate the area in between throughout its history, nicely dealing with salinity by washing it into the tigris. it was when political problems or major floods reshaping the area hit that the system broke down and salinity built up

i wondered if syrians had cool irrigation methods, somebody had to feed antioch and whatnot. apparently the answer, or part of it, is qanats (asian water engineering, basically a nearly horizontal well; that's cool they were around in the roman east too, didn't know that). it looks like hundreds of them were irrigating crops right up until widespread use of pumps dried 'em up in the 1970's

edit: more detail from that paper on qanats in pre-roman antiquity, cool that the persians did hydraulic engineering in egypt when they were running it

quote:

the best evidence (archaeological and written accounts) suggests that qanat irrigation was first invented in the Armenian-Persian region about 600-700 B.C. Some scholars have suggested that qanats were originally introduced in Syria by the Persians, when Syria was incorporated as a province within their empire in the 6th century B.C. Persians had already used qanats nearby to open up the water supply for Egypt's Kharga Oasis by about 500 B.C. (Forbes, 1964, p. 183), and ancient Persian potsherds found inside qanats in the Arava Valley, in the Israeli Negev, suggest that these qanats were first constructed during the Persian rule of the Holy Land (537-332 B.C.)

editedit: i also found a paper that modestly traces 5500 years of water cistern history, in case you ever wanted to know more than any human should know about cisterns in history. i'll just share that people in crete had cisterns going back to the neolithic and are apparently still using cistern technology and techniques developed in the bronze age (i guess they probably aren't using the same cisterns, but by the 2nd millennium bc they already were putting a layer of plaster on the cistern to prevent leakage so with maintenance they could theoretically last thousands of years, i guess)

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 6, 2019