Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sneakyfrog posted:

I travel with 2 rolly pelicans with about a quarter of a million dollars worth of laser equipment for customer demos. I have learned never to ever say the word laser to a tsa scrub

if i traveled with a bunch of lasers i would just make pew pew noises all day

i assume that's what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Unfortunately they have not taken my suggestion of making a sound effects module. :smithfrog:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I bet you could sell like, 10-20% more lasers, minimum.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I know right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Meanwhile stuck on the taxiway at mco for an hour because apparently ohare is once again all hosed

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
You all read the article right? Where it was about Customers & Border protection, not the TSA.

Customs has a different mandate and resources for inspecting things coming into the country. I'd never roll through customs with anything remotely inappropriate, hell, I don't even bring fruit from the plane.

TSA is a different gamble. You have to make your own decisions there, but remember that TSA has a mandate to keep air travel safe and to follow the laws. They have an authority to refer you to local law enforcement, so keep that in your calculations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So yesterday, I discovered there is a way for flying in a CRJ-200 worse. Being in one where the AC doesn't work. According the pilot, apparently that plane engines run hot and they were trying to baby them. It got up to 95 degrees on the ground and more pleasant 85 in the air. I didn't grab any water before hand because it was a short flight from RDU to DCA. I felt worse coming off that plane than I do flying cross country.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

I travel with 2 rolly pelicans with about a quarter of a million dollars worth of laser equipment for customer demos. I have learned never to ever say the word laser to a tsa scrub

Don’t say anything to them that’s not short direct answers to their specific questions. Don’t even look at them. The best case for a TSA interaction is nothing, the worst case is you’re murdered by the local police.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KillHour posted:

I literally have never flown out of London without having my bag searched. "He has a USB cable! Get 'im!"

Every time I go through the metal detector at T5 it beeps and I get selected for random screening in the Rape-o-tron.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

So yesterday, I discovered there is a way for flying in a CRJ-200 worse. Being in one where the AC doesn't work. According the pilot, apparently that plane engines run hot and they were trying to baby them. It got up to 95 degrees on the ground and more pleasant 85 in the air. I didn't grab any water before hand because it was a short flight from RDU to DCA. I felt worse coming off that plane than I do flying cross country.

We call this "Free points."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Love 2 spend 3 hours in Chicago traffic on a 15 mile ride with a surly lyft driver it's the best.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My coworker told me about her Lyft driver in Chicago that stopped the car in the middle of the street, started crying and telling her about she feels unsafe driving around in Chicago.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
This lady just kept getting angry and aggressive in rainy stop and go on the interstate and I'm just like it's all good I'm not in a hurry I planned for poo poo traffic, and she's like we'll I'm in a hurry and uh.... Ok? I'll tip sure but lady you shouldn't be doing this in Chicago as a job if you are gonna blow a gasket over traffic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the storms coming through was pushing my flight home back and delta offered to switch me to a flight that was supposed to be earlier but delayed to my expected time so i took it. we sit on the tarmac for over an hour waiting to take off and then finally get up in the air. i nod off a bit and come to as we’re landing and oh fun we’re sitting on the tarmac for another half hour. pilot mentions something about paperwork and the fueler coming (???) and i check the weather on my phone.

oh. we’re not in pittsburgh. we’re in akron ohio. apparently we circled pittsburgh forever and ran out of fuel.

we’re still sitting on the tarmac waiting for our all clear to take off again. i think this is karma for the gift card i got two weeks ago

also the flight i was switched off of landed 20 minutes ago

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I am amazed at how many airports apparently still pave their ramps, aprons, and stands with obsolete materials.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I am amazed at how many airports apparently still pave their ramps, aprons, and stands with obsolete materials.

A huge amount of airport construction funding for smaller airports comes from grants, so you get those to buy profitable facilities like runways and services infrastructure and then the supporting stuff has to live as long as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

A huge amount of airport construction funding for smaller airports comes from grants, so you get those to buy profitable facilities like runways and services infrastructure and then the supporting stuff has to live as long as possible.

He’s making a sperg “joke” about how tarmac is a paving material and the things that people colloquially refer to as the tarmac actually have real names.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He’s making a sperg “joke” about how tarmac is a paving material and the things that people colloquially refer to as the tarmac actually have real names.

oh that flew completely over my head. didn’t even realize he was responding to me lol

so what should i call it then?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh that flew completely over my head. didn’t even realize he was responding to me lol

You can call it the tarmac. English is a consensus, not a dictate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

International WiFi is 9.99 per MB on this charter.

“We can disable WiFi on all aircraft”

Yeah I bet you loving can!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

Everyone calls it tar-mac but it’s usually the ramp, a stand, or a taxiway where you’re hanging out for extended times.

Does anyone know offhand what piece of media popularized the term?

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Holy hell the AA flagship at ORD is nice. Though this is only the second lounge I’ve ever been in. Status for work and an international vacation paying off. This bar.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Banzai 3 posted:

Holy hell the AA flagship at ORD is nice. Though this is only the second lounge I’ve ever been in. Status for work and an international vacation paying off. This bar.

The Qatar first class lounge at DOH is insane, hit that one sometime if you want your mind blown.

E:

Rex-Goliath posted:

the storms coming through was pushing my flight home back and delta offered to switch me to a flight that was supposed to be earlier but delayed to my expected time so i took it. we sit on the tarmac for over an hour waiting to take off and then finally get up in the air. i nod off a bit and come to as we’re landing and oh fun we’re sitting on the tarmac for another half hour. pilot mentions something about paperwork and the fueler coming (???) and i check the weather on my phone.

oh. we’re not in pittsburgh. we’re in akron ohio. apparently we circled pittsburgh forever and ran out of fuel.

we’re still sitting on the tarmac waiting for our all clear to take off again. i think this is karma for the gift card i got two weeks ago

also the flight i was switched off of landed 20 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/BWI_Airport/status/1124085379865436164

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Banzai 3 posted:

God help ya when you hit Qantas business at LHR or any of the Cathay HKG lounges.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm partial to the AA flagship lounge at JFK, although the one at ORD is indeed nice.

JAL first class lounge at HND is tied with the Cathay lounge at HKG for my favorite.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Virgin clubhouse at Heathrow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Banzai 3 posted:

It is pretty good isn’t it? Better than the FL lounges at LA or JFK.

Favorite lounge overall is T5’s Concorde Room but you have to be traveling BA First to get in. :/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

psydude posted:

JAL first class lounge at HND is tied with the Cathay lounge at HKG for my favorite.

I haven’t been to HND yet but will be in July. Glad it’s great!

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm partial to the AA flagship lounge at JFK, although the one at ORD is indeed nice.

The Cathy first class lounge at HKG blew my drat mind. I still can't believe that the best bath of my life and one of my favorite meals ever was at an airport. The flight isn't worth the points over business but the lounge still makes me consider it again even after the devaluation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Virgin clubhouse at Heathrow.

yeah that's a good joint

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The original carrot that got me flying oneworld was lounge access on international trips, especially when flying economy to visit in-laws in HK.

Lounge fatigue may be setting in though. I wasn’t impressed with catering at Wing F last visit. Today I got to visit LAX Flagship First Dining (FFD is for a subset of passengers flying the Flagship Lounge which is a subset of Admirals Club access). The breakfast of “steak and eggs” was something I wouldn’t return to a restaurant to pay $10 for, and the Krug champagne was nice but unnecessary. To me, the experience was okay, and a good place to work privately, but not worth the money other people on paid F spent over J (I used a 15k mileage award to try it).

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still take lounge access if offered, but I once bought into the hype that bloggers like OMAT perpetuate that it’s worth visiting certain airports or setting aside hours solely for lounge access. Enjoy it if you have it, but don’t feel too bad without lounges.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

setting aside hours solely for lounge access

Prima facie evidence of mental illness.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Midjack posted:

Prima facie evidence of mental illness.

I left my house at 5am today on a Saturday for a conference that starts at 8am on Sunday. I’d rather be with my family so I’m probably just in a bad mood.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Qantas F lounge is still better than FFD and even then I’d rather pay to get food from Lemonade

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I left my house at 5am today on a Saturday for a conference that starts at 8am on Sunday. I’d rather be with my family so I’m probably just in a bad mood.

I think you’re right about lounges.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Having been through it several times now, I'm pretty sure Shinjuku Station was designed by Daedalus himself.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Having been through it several times now, I'm pretty sure Shinjuku Station was designed by Daedalus himself.

Bold of you to assume it was designed. It's had passenger traffic for like 130 years, there's only so much you can do without disrupting the million people a day that go through there.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

holy moly JFK is so much better than LGA it’s astounding. they even have more than a single company serving food!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

holy moly JFK is so much better than LGA it’s astounding. they even have more than a single company serving food!

:laugh: how did you not know this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cacafuego posted:

:laugh: how did you not know this?

For the past month I could only book direct flights to LGA, JFK wasn’t an option. This week was the first time a direct was available soo here we are