Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Honestly you pretty squarely fit in with what Ubiquiti stuff does best. You could look at an Orbi or something like that’s, but either getting 2 Unifi access points and either a USG or an edgerouter gives you a lot of flexibility in the future and will work well now. You might even get away with just one access point depending on where it’s placed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can you run an ethernet cable to the second device? It's hard to give advice on just a square foot amount, but I'd be concerned that a new router wouldn't reach much further.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Speaking of Unifi, can the mobile app effectively replace the controller if you are only using an AP? Can I set up multiple SSIDs and assign them to VLANs?

I have a Unifi switch and was going to put an RPi on controller duty but it just feels like overkill for my simple setup. A couple cheap unmanaged switches would probably work just as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No. The app talks to the controller. If mine isn’t running I can’t use the phone app

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

No. The app talks to the controller. If mine isn’t running I can’t use the phone app

The phone app for Unifi gear can definitely do set up without the controller. If yours set requires the controller to be running it may be because it was set up that way. I don't think it can do VLANs but I've honestly never used it before.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012360487-UniFi-Getting-Started-with-the-UniFi-Mobile-App

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

The phone app for Unifi gear can definitely do set up without the controller. If yours set requires the controller to be running it may be because it was set up that way. I don't think it can do VLANs but I've honestly never used it before.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012360487-UniFi-Getting-Started-with-the-UniFi-Mobile-App

Looks like I was mistaken. I set mine up with the controller and have never tried to use it standalone before. I just have the controller software running on my plex box as a service so I don't really think about it often.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but am I correct in thinking newish 802.11ac pcie adapters will support Win 10's miracast wireless display stuff, or do you need to find one that specifically supports Wi-fi direct?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly you pretty squarely fit in with what Ubiquiti stuff does best. You could look at an Orbi or something like that’s, but either getting 2 Unifi access points and either a USG or an edgerouter gives you a lot of flexibility in the future and will work well now. You might even get away with just one access point depending on where it’s placed

So something like a single ASUS AC3200 router isn't necessarily likely to significantly increase my range? It's pretty much mesh or bust?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

willroc7 posted:

So something like a single ASUS AC3200 router isn't necessarily likely to significantly increase my range? It's pretty much mesh or bust?

I wouldnt say it is mesh or bust, but especially with 5GHz stuff, house size and layout can be signal killers and the Ubiquiti stuff seems to punch well above its weight in signal propagation along with mesh features If you are happy with your current router, you could even keep your existing router, get a Unifi AP and just turn off the routers built in Wifi and save a few bucks that way and see if one AP is enough to solve your problems. Maybe start with that, if you can get the AP in a more central location by running some cat5e or cat6 and if super possible, making it ceiling mounted, you could probably solve your signal problems with just the AP.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'll try that, thanks.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I think I've mentioned before, but I put one uap ac pro on the ceiling of it basement stairs, and it covers a standard colonial house completely. Streams just fine outside mowing the lawn.

The Verizon ont is by the circuit panel, so I put the router there, and then ran poe to the ac pro through the drop ceiling.

I did get lucky with wall placement and was able to easily drop a cable through an interior wall to wire my desktop. Pulled up the carpet in the closet, opened the floor a bit, drilled through the top from there and the bottom from the basement, and it was a straight shot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but am I correct in thinking newish 802.11ac pcie adapters will support Win 10's miracast wireless display stuff, or do you need to find one that specifically supports Wi-fi direct?

wifi direct is a prerequisite for intel wi-di/miracast. Even then i've never saw a desktop wireless card work with miracast, only on laptops. You need a lot of boxes ticked to have it work fine, this guides (https://www.enhansoft.com/how-to-troubleshoot-miracast-when-using-windows-10/) list most of them if you want to give it a shot.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

SlowBloke posted:

wifi direct is a prerequisite for intel wi-di/miracast. Even then i've never saw a desktop wireless card work with miracast, only on laptops. You need a lot of boxes ticked to have it work fine, this guides (https://www.enhansoft.com/how-to-troubleshoot-miracast-when-using-windows-10/) list most of them if you want to give it a shot.

Cool thanks! I had read that Win 10's miracast implementation can work without a widi capable card, as long as its driver version supports NDIS 6.40 or something. I have my eye on a ASUS wifi card that claims it's capable of wifi direct, but just wanted to check to see if that really was necessary now.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Yeah, I looked at Unifi's docs and they don't really document the standalone features. However I found some videos on YouTube and it does appear that the standalone app won't let you do much more than create SSIDs and set passwords. Doesn't look like you can also say that SSID X is on VLAN Y.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, I came home needing to reboot my router because AT&T had disconnected, buried, and reconnected the cable, and after rebooting, the Edgerouter X failed. Only eth0 would go active, and couldnt get gui or console.

Ended up ordering a new one and RMAing the broken one. I had a recent config backed up thankfully

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cool thanks! I had read that Win 10's miracast implementation can work without a widi capable card, as long as its driver version supports NDIS 6.40 or something. I have my eye on a ASUS wifi card that claims it's capable of wifi direct, but just wanted to check to see if that really was necessary now.
I would suggest a intel wireless card to be 100% sure. Gigabyte used to sell intel wifi minipcie modules in a adapter card that might suit your requirements. Use intel ark site to confirm miracast support.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I finally ordered an Edgerouter X and an AC Lite to hopefully get rid of this stupid AT&T 5268 forever. Newegg had an open box ERX and I'm cheap so I ordered that one. Hopefully it's not screwed up...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not sure if this is the right thread.

So, here's what I'm up against.

I have two PC's - a local PC in hand, and a remote PC connected to a network where I need to access resources on that network. There isn't a router-level VPN set up yet. I have remote desktop and admin access on the remote PC.

Until the proper VPN is set up, I need to set up the remote PC such that I can connect to its local area network resources from the local PC.

My thought was to connect the PCs with ZeroTier and set up a VPN on the remote PC but I cannot connect to the VPN (the two PC's can communicate via ZeroTier and the firewall on both PCs have been opened for that port.) Is there something I've done wrong there?

Otherwise, is there some other setup I can use to connect to those resources?

Basically, I have a need to send some small packets to those network devices, but I don't want to have to work entirely through remote desktop - just send the packets to the right devices on the network. But I'm apparently a networking idiot and can't figure this out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just swapped out a Ubiquiti AC Pro with a Mikrotik HAP AC. The mikrotik has 2x better signal strength and sustains faster speeds. I think the real deal is the AC Pro is tuned for many users, like hotels.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

redeyes posted:

I just swapped out a Ubiquiti AC Pro with a Mikrotik HAP AC. The mikrotik has 2x better signal strength and sustains faster speeds. I think the real deal is the AC Pro is tuned for many users, like hotels.

What are the numbers? How much better?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Okay, so I'm like, 90% of the way to setting up my VPN poo poo.

So, I switched to Hamachi instead of ZeroTier because the ZeroTier poo poo wasn't working right. I set Hamachi up to support tunneling on both machines (the h2-engine.cfg edit), and IP Routing is enabled on both machines according to ipconfig /all.

Have set up routes on both machines to tunnel requests for the proper IP ranges through the Hamachi devices, and set up rules on the routers for both my local and work network so that other devices on the network can communicate both ways.

Routing entry for local PC (where the interface ip is the other PC's Hamachi address)

Network Destination | Netmask | Gateway | Interface
10.1.10.0 | 255.255.255.0 | 25.60.101.86 | 25.60.13.87

Routing entry for remote PC:

Network Destination | Netmask | Gateway | Interface
192.168.1.0 | 255.255.255.0 | 25.60.13.87 | 25.60.101.86

I can ping the direct IPs of each machine using their correct LAN IP but anything else on the network is unreachable. So, for example, if the IP of the remote PC is 10.1.10.58, I can ping that IP, but if I want 10.1.10.59 it won't route the request correctly. Tracert does show that it bounces to the Hamachi gateway first, so I'm thinking I have the IP routing set up incorrectly on the destination servers.

I do have the IPEnableRouter registry flag set on both machines and have rebooted, of course, to ensure all of my changes have updated the correct services.

What else could I be missing?

Edit:

I got it working finally. Not sure what changed but I can ping over to my IoT devices from my 192.168.1.X network.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 2, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Is the HAP AC using a larger channel width than the UAP-AC-PRO was?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Protocol7 posted:

What else could I be missing?

What do the routes look like on your routers?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Looking at getting a new cable modem with Docsis 3.1, I know I should avoid the Puma chipsets.

Looking at SB8200 or CM1000/CM1100. Is one known to be better than the other? Leaning towards the SB8200.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Is the HAP AC using a larger channel width than the UAP-AC-PRO was?

Nah, exactly the same channels and width.

As far as numbers, I just have 100/100 and the signal travels better in my office with the AP in the same location. Maybe Mikrotik's wireless is getting better?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ubiquiti sent me a brand new Edgerouter X from my RMA. Cool.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Any rumors of Ubiquiti releasing new stuff? I remember people were saying their hardware was kinda old a while ago?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'm about to move into a new place and I've been looking into which wireless router to upgrade to as I'll be switching ISPs and may as well get new poo poo, and this powerline networking thing is new to me.

How's latency with powerline? Basically, I hate having cables running anywhere but refuse to use wifi for my PC.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

Any rumors of Ubiquiti releasing new stuff? I remember people were saying their hardware was kinda old a while ago?

UDM is a brand new platform which is likely to be the foundation for all their future routing products, unlike the current er or usg, it uses raw cpu compute power instead of relying on discrete acceleration in the cavium SoC meaning updates are going to be easier and more timely. You might lose all the finesse vyatta/vyoss can provide but at least you will have a relatively up-to-date linux kernel(instead of what the cavium sdk has) and software modules.

Thay have just released the wifi uplinked UDM beacon, pretty much making amplifi a evolutionary dead end.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any duration of time shorter than the Ubiquiti attention span?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think current maths can provide you a number, maybe rent some crunch time in one of those new quantum computers to find out?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thanks Ants posted:

One year ago they hired the developer of homeassistant (a pretty sweet home automation platform).

Yesterday he announced that they changed their minds about this market and so he moved on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're a solid PtP/PtMP radio vendor, the devices they make to support that are also pretty decent, the SMB network stuff makes sense, but I can't see why they bother with the surveillance camera range which has recently been rebooted, the LED light panels and dimmers, VoIP phones, solar panels, and now door access control.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wheeee posted:

I'm about to move into a new place and I've been looking into which wireless router to upgrade to as I'll be switching ISPs and may as well get new poo poo, and this powerline networking thing is new to me.

How's latency with powerline? Basically, I hate having cables running anywhere but refuse to use wifi for my PC.

I haven't used powerline, but from what I've read, latency and speed will be marginal. Devices rated for 2gbps will realistically top out around 300mbps under good conditions. Unless your wifi signal is spotty, wifi will have more consistent latency and higher speed. Powerline is also not very good if your wiring is old, if the signal has to cross breakers, or if there are electrically noisy devices nearby (think things with electric motors, etc.). It may be worth a try, but make sure you can return it if it sucks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Google

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

They're a solid PtP/PtMP radio vendor, the devices they make to support that are also pretty decent, the SMB network stuff makes sense, but I can't see why they bother with the surveillance camera range which has recently been rebooted, the LED light panels and dimmers, VoIP phones, solar panels, and now door access control.

My main issue with ubiquiti(I have most of my homelan running on their products so i'm not pontificating without cause) is being fast and loose with datasheets, advertising features that are neither ready nor available. The unifi SHD is the worse culprit in recent memory, advertising VHT160 and not delivering until recently(and still not being able to di RF scans on VHT160) along with the security radio doing fuckall(yes it does neighbour scan now but if i have a radio doing fuckall why does the rf scan need to run on the prod radio instead of the idle security one?). I think there would be less nagging if they delivered more rather than just announcing and doing some(not all) of the promised features.

The "rebooted" video stuff is just trying to vendor-lock the software to run the cameras to their cloudkey appliance so for each camera they sell at least one ck2+ controller.

Led & access control is just flinging poo poo and hope it sticks, i expect it to go the way of mfi. Voip is going to be very shortlived as the trends are to moving to softphones or not having phones at all rather than having a crate of unsafe/unpatched android tablets with a handset stuck on the side

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 4, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On the other hand, a USG, an AC Pro/Lite, and a controller makes a nice network with a very nice UI. I'm a sucker for graphs and history and monitoring.

I wish they had something to take the place of the USG that was faster. (maybe they do, I don't follow them close enough)

They're just so scatterbrained I don't feel like I can trust them on anything new until it's been in use for a couple years or more.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The “faster” is the USG Pro but it’s rackmount and I still don’t think it hits wirespeed gigabit with all the bells and whistle IPSec stuff turned on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

The “faster” is the USG Pro but it’s rackmount and I still don’t think it hits wirespeed gigabit with all the bells and whistle IPSec stuff turned on.
Usg with ids/ips is rated for 150mbps max
Usg pro with ids/ips is rated for 350mbps max
Usg xg with ids/ips is rated for 1gbps

In contrast the new udm with ids/ips is rated for 950mbps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think they got rid of the X. It was on sale for like a week and they took it down for whatever reason. Or maybe it was another of the higher end ones.