Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

nwin posted:

It looks like I’ll buy the Feliway and see how that goes-I’ve never heard of it before.

Don't be dumb like me and spray it while you're seated in the car. Worst coughing fit ever. Spray the car first, then let it settle a bit and THEN get in the car. Maybe do multiple passes, a day or two in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Protocol7 posted:

No, and that hasn't even been recommended by any of the vets honestly. I just got back and they said he wasn't blocked yet, just having some muscle spasms/cramps so they have him a shot of Onsior to help, and then of course he pissed in the carrier on the way home. Going through urine cleaning supplies like crazy. I'm just glad he finally did pee though.

He is on Orbax daily for the next three weeks and that should hopefully kick whatever infection is going on in his bladder (two separate urinalyses confirm no crystals, only bacteria and blood cells present), and then assuming I don't have to make any return trips in the next three weeks I'll ask the vet how we can manage this in the future.

It's been a few days - how is he doing?

With persistent urinary issues, things I can think of that are under your direct control (disclaimer: not a vet):
  • Try to increase water intake. Offer wet food, and make water more interesting (replace and refill water dishes daily, offer pet fountains that are cleaned regularly, etc.).
  • Do not skip or delay a dose of any medication. Seriously. Set recurring alarms and make sure you stick to that religiously. If it says every 12 hours, it doesn't mean 10 or 14. Never mess around with medication schedules in a cat who has urinary problems.
  • Do not get lazy and stop medication after you think the symptoms are gone, unless your meds specifically say "until symptoms go away."
  • Keep litter boxes clean and available, especially favorite boxes. Many cats prefer to pee in a different place than they poop. If your cat ever has to wait to use a litter box (because the one he prefers is in use), it's time to add another box. Sorry.
  • Monitor your cat's litter box habits like a hawk until he's better. Hopefully you use a litter that's low-dust and light colored so it's easy to see problems.
And things you might want to follow up with your vet about (disclaimer: still not a vet):
  • Did they do a urine culture to identify the specific bacteria in the infection? A urinalysis is not the same as a urine culture. Some antibiotics are better than others depending on the infection. An inappropriate antibiotic can be a huge a waste of time, resulting in a frustrating cycle of trying one antibiotic, finding out it didn't work, and then trying another one.
  • Did they do a blood test?
  • If you know it's the right antibiotic and the symptoms still come back after completing the regiment, you might want to talk about a longer dose. Our cat had a really stubborn bladder infection that didn't stay away after multiple 2-week antibiotic courses, even though we knew the bacteria and antibiotic were a good match, but it finally went away after our vet had us do a longer course. (Not all antibiotics can be safely extended, so it definitely has to come from your vet.)
  • Some antibiotics can cause other issues, like diarrhea or appetite loss. This can make the situation seem like it's spiraling completely out of control. Ask your vet about side effects and be prepared to add yet another treatment to control those.
  • If in doubt, get a second opinion.

Life was hell when our cat's bladder infection kept coming back. I hope your kitty recovers quickly. For really obnoxious cases, a cat-only clinic can be really useful if you have a good one close by.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Re: self cleaning boxes -

I've never used one, I've had a lot of cats growing up and recently got one after a long, long break (my doggle of 15yrs passed away.) My partner was really trepidatious/stressed about the litter box when he wanted to adopt the kitten, I think becuase his housemate isn't great about taking care of his kittys box. At first we tried "World's Best" which worked pretty drat well, but our guy tracked it out of the box a lot. We switched to Litter Pearls trackless and wow, it's amazing. I have a crazy intense sense of smell and it is SO RARE I smell anything at all from it, even when scooping. Sometimes I smell a powdery baking soda-ish smell when he's kicking around in his box a lot, but no waste smells. Perhaps give it a try? It's also very inexpensive, like less than $10 a month supply for a one kitty bag if you buy the smallest bag.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

RE: Moving to Virginia

Never take your cats out of the carrier in a moving vehicle, it's not safe for them or you. Cats can handle an 8 hour car ride without starving/dehydrating or pooping all over, they won't be happy but they can hold it. Putting a puppy pad in the carrier isn't a bad idea of course just in case but you're 99% of the time going to not need it.

The main concern is "Will they meow for 8 hours straight and drive you absolutely insane". Which, you know your cats, and if you think they will do that then ask the vet about tranquilizers. You just drug em once in the morning and kitties sleep the rest of the day and wake up in Virginia and everyone is happy!

I've done three cross country (4 day car rides) with my two cats. Sam will just sit and look out the window through the carrier holes but Max will literally meow herself hoarse (and then keep croak-meowing) so I learned to rely on the sleepytime pills.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LoreOfSerpents posted:

It's been a few days - how is he doing?

Funny you ask. He’s been very good for a while and was super playful and up to his normal self for a week. Unfortunately had to take him back to the vet today. Hasn’t produced urine since noon and still hasn’t (it’s 9:18 PM now).

I’ve been good about his medicine. Have recurring reminders on my Amazon Echo and set alarms on my watch to wake me up for late night dosages. But every 24 hours he’s been getting his Orbax. For everything else I’ve also been on time - working from home helps keep everything in check.

He ran out of prazosin and gabapentin on Sunday and his symptoms started coming back today.

They did not do a culture or blood test. They gave him some anti inflammatory and corticosteroids today to help him pass urine. Every vet in the area was out of Prazosin but they literally got the shipment an hour before close so I got him on that again.

Waiting for him to pee now and hopefully he will and I can sleep easy.

Funnily enough, my parents took their cat to the vet today too. Except he had a kidney stone blockage and needed to be hospitalized. So, it could be worse, I guess?

We do have a cat only clinic nearby but we took him to them once as a follow up for one of the emergency visits and I didn’t feel like they took me seriously at all. It took this fourth vet to establish it was a potential infection and not struvite crystals.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 3, 2019

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

mistaya posted:

The main concern is "Will they meow for 8 hours straight and drive you absolutely insane". Which, you know your cats, and if you think they will do that then ask the vet about tranquilizers. You just drug em once in the morning and kitties sleep the rest of the day and wake up in Virginia and everyone is happy!

Our derpy old man cat is the type that will meow frantically once every 10 seconds if you put him in a carrier. Then he'll meow all the way to the vet. At the vet, he'll meow the entire time he is there. On the way home, he'll meow all the way there. When you let him out of the carrier at home, he'll stop meowing.

He will literally meow himself voiceless if left at the vet for any length of time for procedures.

Travel == tranquilizers!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does putting a blanket over the carrier help?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our kitty peed outside of her box for the first time, luckily it was on the easily cleaned kitchen floor but why?? Her box is clean, nothing's changed, she's young but litter-trained, seems otherwise healthy and happy too.
I'm guessing it's an accident or she got a little too excited attacking a grocery-bag in there last night, anything else we should be looking out for?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Could it have been a standing up accident? That happened to ours occasionally, she'd stand in the box but pee outside of it entirely by accident, but eventually she learned.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Zwille posted:

Could it have been a standing up accident? That happened to ours occasionally, she'd stand in the box but pee outside of it entirely by accident, but eventually she learned.

Nah, she has a covered box that she uses daily so v:shobon:v

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Nah, she has a covered box that she uses daily so v:shobon:v

Then is cat or dislikes covered boxes but I think that's unlikely if she accepted it before. I'd wait and see if it happens again and then compare the circumstances (how long since you changed the litter box, excited state again, changed the litter brand? etc.).

Maybe clean the peed-on area with enzyme cleaner too, to make sure. I'm willing to bet it just won't happen again or rarely so.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, that's the plan currently. I did change litter-brands about a week ago (so it's still pretty clean, also seems exactly the same as the old brand) but she's been using it every day without issue. Going with 'is cat' until evidence shows otherwise, thanks for your thoughts!

Seemed to good to be true that we've had her for a few months without any accidents whatsoever. First time I had to use the enzyme-cleaner, good thing we bought it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well it's now almost 12 hours after my last post. Crowley still hasn't urinated (but left a stinkin' huge turd on the carpet... so I guess that's good?)

We've dropped him off at the vet this morning, they're going to try expressing his bladder and doing another urinalysis. We're going forward with the PU surgery for him, our current vet officially quoted us at $1100 including inpatient care so that's way more manageable than $5,000 that the other emergency vet quoted us.

Here's to hoping this marks the beginning of his recovery. We already lost two other cats - one to FIP and one to fading kitten syndrome. Haven't we endured enough feline stress, universe!?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
You do understand that PU surgery will not do anything to improve struvite crystals or UTI or FLUTD or FIC or whatever underlying cause is creating these issues for your cat? All it does is help prevent urethral obstruction. It does not fix his bladder pain or really any of the symptoms he has had in the last few weeks (other than now because it sounds like he may finally be obstructed for the first time?). Anyway I think PU surgery is very inappropriate treatment for your cat if that’s not clear.

ETA I know you’ve seen a lot of different vets in the past few weeks that have all given you different advice, but I would sure recommend getting another opinion before putting your cat through PU surgery. There are a lot of diagnostics that have not been done and less invasive treatments that have not been tried yet.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 3, 2019

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Has anyone seem pigmentation loss in a cat's nose?

My boy was completely normal this morning, but in the intervening hours his nose looks like this

Thanks for any advice.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hide your blow better

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did he sniff paint?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
One of my cats is VERY affectionate, while the other one hardly is at all, to the point that it kinda bothers me. Could it just be his personality? He does come running to the door when I get home, and he will sleep in the bed with me at night, so I know he does like me. But other than that, he just... doesn't really seek me out. He'll go the whole day sleeping in the cat tree, while my other cat follows me around, sits on me, purrs etc. He seems to enjoy being petted but he rarely "asks" for it. I've had him for 3 years.

I think he might just be kind of weird. He doesn't seem very intelligent compared to other cats I've had. He has trouble figuring toys out and has unusual habits. But I just wonder if there's something that I could do to encourage more of a bond? Thanks.

Edit: Here's a couple pictures :3:

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 4, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

papa horny michael posted:

My boy was completely normal this morning, but in the intervening hours his nose looks like this

Thanks for any advice.

Looks like he got a scrape on his nose and the scab came off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wile E. Toyota posted:

One of my cats is VERY affectionate, while the other one hardly is at all, to the point that it kinda bothers me. Could it just be his personality? He does come running to the door when I get home, and he will sleep in the bed with me at night, so I know he does like me. But other than that, he just... doesn't really seek me out. He'll go the whole day sleeping in the cat tree, while my other cat follows me around, sits on me, purrs etc. He seems to enjoy being petted but he rarely "asks" for it. I've had him for 3 years.

I think he might just be kind of weird. He doesn't seem very intelligent compared to other cats I've had. He has trouble figuring toys out and has unusual habits. But I just wonder if there's something that I could do to encourage more of a bond? Thanks.

Yes, cats have distinct personalities. Some are very affectionate and gregarious, others are aloof and loners. We have one that I almost never interact with, except when she crawls on my lap while I'm working a crossword.

The best way to bond with a cat is feed it, btw. Treats after doing something you like will reinforce that behavior.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, cats have distinct personalities. Some are very affectionate and gregarious, others are aloof and loners. We have one that I almost never interact with, except when she crawls on my lap while I'm working a crossword.

The best way to bond with a cat is feed it, btw. Treats after doing something you like will reinforce that behavior.

Yeah this. Different cats have different personalities and some are clingier than others, but if you want to condition your cat to be clingier than hand out treats whenever you're petting him or he comes to hang out with you.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Okay, I'll whip out the treats more often and I'll try to play with him directly more (I usually turn on the automatic toys.) Really, as long as it's not a sign that he's unhappy in some way, that's good news. I have started using his name more in the past couple weeks and he has started responding to it, so that's some progress already!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Moved my cat four hours away today. This is literally my least favourite thing to do, she takes it so badly and last time cried for about 1 1/2 hours in the car before she settled into a silent brood. She hates it, and I hate doing it. One change since last time though, half a capsule of gabapentin as recommended by a vet. Cried for about 10 minutes this time before settling in for the ride.

Doped her up quite nicely, and since getting to a new place, she immediately went for some food and isn't hiding from everything immediately, which beats her previous record by at least 24 hours. If anyone has any similar issues I would definitely recommend this.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Yeah, that's the plan currently. I did change litter-brands about a week ago (so it's still pretty clean, also seems exactly the same as the old brand) but she's been using it every day without issue. Going with 'is cat' until evidence shows otherwise, thanks for your thoughts!

Seemed to good to be true that we've had her for a few months without any accidents whatsoever. First time I had to use the enzyme-cleaner, good thing we bought it.

Hey, I just wanted to give you a possible reason for why your cat may have peed outside of the box....

Cats are extremely good at hiding pain, and unless it is actually debilitating, it can be very difficult to notice. Like you, my cat has always been super-good about always using the litter-box, and after 5 years of never failing to use it, she suddenly was peeing furtively on a plastic bag on the flower and being really weird about it. I found this very concerning, and I learned that when a cat experiences PAIN will urinating, their immediate response is to urinate in a totally different place, hoping that changing that variable will solve that problem.

So basically... I would do two things. The big thing you're worrying about here is a UTI - urinary tract infection. Take a look at your cats genitals and make sure that everything is clean, and nothing is inflamed or painful looking, or even bleeding. If things look 100% fine and it was a one-time incident. you could probably reasonably have cause to not go to they vet. If she pees outside her litter box again this weekend, I'd take her to to the vet as soon as you reasonably can, and they'll get her one some antibiotics and/or provide with some topical ointment to keep the pain and inflammation down for a time.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

papa horny michael posted:

Thanks for any advice.

Same happened to my cat a while ago. She hadn't been outdoor or anything.

Then it just vanished.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kaworu posted:

Hey, I just wanted to give you a possible reason for why your cat may have peed outside of the box....

Cats are extremely good at hiding pain, and unless it is actually debilitating, it can be very difficult to notice. Like you, my cat has always been super-good about always using the litter-box, and after 5 years of never failing to use it, she suddenly was peeing furtively on a plastic bag on the flower and being really weird about it. I found this very concerning, and I learned that when a cat experiences PAIN will urinating, their immediate response is to urinate in a totally different place, hoping that changing that variable will solve that problem.

So basically... I would do two things. The big thing you're worrying about here is a UTI - urinary tract infection. Take a look at your cats genitals and make sure that everything is clean, and nothing is inflamed or painful looking, or even bleeding. If things look 100% fine and it was a one-time incident. you could probably reasonably have cause to not go to they vet. If she pees outside her litter box again this weekend, I'd take her to to the vet as soon as you reasonably can, and they'll get her one some antibiotics and/or provide with some topical ointment to keep the pain and inflammation down for a time.

Thanks, I know it could be indicative of something medical going on so that's why I posted. So far she's gone back in the box to poop and probably pee? It's a little hard to tell with the silicate litter but we're keeping a close eye on her. I'll also examine her bits when she'll let me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Sounds like Domino who acts like this loner who hates us except he's actually a big clingy baby.

If we try to pet him on our terms he leans away from all advances and if he can't move away will slap at us. But if we leave the room while he's asleep when he wakes up he immediately starts walking around apartment meowing until he finds us. If someone leaves he goes to the door and whines.

And every night at bedtime he's realized that we're both there and chooses that as the time to get pet on his terms. He walks across both of us, headbutts whatever I'm holding out of my hands, and plops down.

Then you have Jellybean who is completely content with just laying in her cat bad all day. Maybe she comes over for some pets but she absolutely just wants left alone 90% of the time. Apparently she used to be a really energetic and happy cat until she was declawed and fell off things a lot. Poor Bean ☹️

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just had to get my 16 year old cat put down.

He had gotten cancer in his back/spine.

RIP Galileo, you were the best cat and my first pet ever!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Kidney Stone posted:

I'm sorry friend. I know from experience how hard this is. Remember all the good times and the wonderful life you provided to him. Without you he might have been on the streets eating garbage.

When you're ready, take in a new kitten and give them that best life too. You'll love them in a different way, and never forget Galileo either.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

D1E posted:

I'm sorry friend. I know from experience how hard this is. Remember all the good times and the wonderful life you provided to him. Without you he might have been on the streets eating garbage.

When you're ready, take in a new kitten and give them that best life too. You'll love them in a different way, and never forget Galileo either.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

This has been one the hardest things I've ever had to do. I know that pets are not to own, but to be borrowed and cared for - their time is limited, just like our.

I'll never forget Galileo!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They cathed Crowley yesterday and he apparently recovered fine, and now he’s incontinent and soaked in piss.

Vet says to wait it out. I’m about ready to find another vet. They said the prazosin can have that effect but he’s been on prazosin before and was never incontinent.

What the gently caress do I have to do to get my drat cat healthy again? I opened a Care Credit card just to afford this poo poo. I’ve invested far too much money and time on this cat just to give up and put him down.

I mean, incontinence is better than NOT peeing, especially after being cathed, I guess. But I’m really starting to weigh the quality of his life at this point. Who wants to be soaked in their own piss?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We got the cats chipped this morning. Is there any sort of thing I should keep an eye on or is it fine with no real risks?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kidney Stone posted:

Thank you so much for the kind words.

This has been one the hardest things I've ever had to do. I know that pets are not to own, but to be borrowed and cared for - their time is limited, just like our.

I'll never forget Galileo!

Making the choice for euthanasia is really hard, even when it's for the best. You're right that it's just a fact of pet ownership, though, and 16 is a good long life for a cat. I'm sorry for your loss.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Kidney Stone posted:

Sorry for your loss :(

We had to make the same decision today for our 16 year old Slinky, she had kidney failure and was in a bad way. I know it was the right thing to do but I miss her little face!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Robot Mil posted:

Sorry for your loss :(

We had to make the same decision today for our 16 year old Slinky, she had kidney failure and was in a bad way. I know it was the right thing to do but I miss her little face!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We'll be missing our wee furballs :(

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hi cat people. We've had our first cat as a couple (both grew up with cats) for around 6 months now, and it's only just occurred to me that of course SA has a cat thread...

Meet Jimmy. He's 9 next week, we got him from some friends who weren't coping with cat + 1-year-old human baby. Now, you're probably thinking "cat biffing baby on the head", but no, Jimmy is the most chilled out cat I've ever met - when we visited, the child was doing normal child things, pawing at him, grabbing at his tail, and he just went "meh" and wandered off. This also meant that he adjusted very well to being cat-napped while his old family were on holiday (by prior arrangement of course), and transported 30km down the road to a new home!

When we adopted him, they told us that he loved to drink - always guzzling water, that's Jimmy. When we got him home, we saw just how much he guzzled, and having lived with a good dozen cats between us, immediately said "that's not normal". Asked the vet to do blood tests, and lo and behold, Jimmy has kidney disease. So out go the treats and Felix, and in comes the special diet and liquid medicine. Thankfully, his numbers have improved in those 6 months. We're not sure how long he'll be with us, but he's very content right now.

He also likes company, and would never finish his food when it was two floor up from the living room, so we got him a SureFeed bowl to put downstairs (the one without the chip sensor, as there's just one of him). I've had to set it to the super-sensitive mode, because it closed on him mid feed (possibly because he is black?), and he made the most offended face I've ever seen.

Good to see so many cat goons, keep the pictures coming!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bobstar posted:

Hi cat people. We've had our first cat as a couple (both grew up with cats) for around 6 months now, and it's only just occurred to me that of course SA has a cat thread...

Meet Jimmy. He's 9 next week, we got him from some friends who weren't coping with cat + 1-year-old human baby. Now, you're probably thinking "cat biffing baby on the head", but no, Jimmy is the most chilled out cat I've ever met - when we visited, the child was doing normal child things, pawing at him, grabbing at his tail, and he just went "meh" and wandered off. This also meant that he adjusted very well to being cat-napped while his old family were on holiday (by prior arrangement of course), and transported 30km down the road to a new home!

When we adopted him, they told us that he loved to drink - always guzzling water, that's Jimmy. When we got him home, we saw just how much he guzzled, and having lived with a good dozen cats between us, immediately said "that's not normal". Asked the vet to do blood tests, and lo and behold, Jimmy has kidney disease. So out go the treats and Felix, and in comes the special diet and liquid medicine. Thankfully, his numbers have improved in those 6 months. We're not sure how long he'll be with us, but he's very content right now.

He also likes company, and would never finish his food when it was two floor up from the living room, so we got him a SureFeed bowl to put downstairs (the one without the chip sensor, as there's just one of him). I've had to set it to the super-sensitive mode, because it closed on him mid feed (possibly because he is black?), and he made the most offended face I've ever seen.

Good to see so many cat goons, keep the pictures coming!

I wanna boop that nose

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's a pro catte!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Black cat gang assemble

That's Slider. She and Tater are becoming pals and partners in crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

These two still don’t get along. We’re working on it.