Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Well I enjoyed the recent punisher season.

Phenotype posted:

I remember liking Luke Cage's fight scenes at first because of how lazy they were. Dude's super strong and invincible, and he's fighting regular goons 100% of the time so he'd probably break their skulls if he actually hit them. So he just walks through the melee, kinda bored, and just slaps people around.

It makes sense when he's up against random dudes, but his displayed fighting techniques don't improve even when he's up against immortal ninjas or other super strong people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He was like an ex boxer or something right? Just make him box people, this poo poo ain’t hard.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He was always just a brawler, it makes sense that he never really bothered to learn how to ‘properly fight’.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's friggin hilarious watching you guys rip on the CineD thread and then coming to the exact same conclusions. We really aren't so different, you and I...

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol at Luke Cage actually needing to develop a fighting technique. "Nearly indestructible and incredibly strong" means he just needs to slap a fool that gets within his reach.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Laterite posted:

lol at Luke Cage actually needing to develop a fighting technique. "Nearly indestructible and incredibly strong" means he just needs to slap a fool that gets within his reach.

Also, the directing team for LC S1 said that Luke Cage does know how to fight properly, but there's been about one and a half people across both seasons he wouldn't straight up murder if he fought them legitimately.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Being a lazy fighter is cool for a real superhero but is bland for TV/movies. It’s probably cause it was cheaper.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lid posted:

Most enjoyed Punisher S1 and Daredevil S3

Oh for sure, I just mean in general anything the shows have sucked for the most part.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Daredevil was great just for D'Onofrio alone and Bernthal gave as good as he got - meaning up to and exceeding the level of the writing. When Punisher was on it was loving ON and S1 was great. S2 wrote itself into some stupid bullshit real fast that no one could save and DDs2 only really poo poo the bed with NinjaFest 2020.

For the most part, aside from Finn Jones in IF, rarely did any of the Netflix failings have to do with lovely acting, now that I think about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I never liked any of the fights that include Luke. It wasn't any stunt worker's fault, but squarely on the silly jump cuts and pull cords all looked awful to me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BiggerBoat posted:

Daredevil was great just for D'Onofrio alone and Bernthal gave as good as he got - meaning up to and exceeding the level of the writing. When Punisher was on it was loving ON and S1 was great. S2 wrote itself into some stupid bullshit real fast that no one could save and DDs2 only really poo poo the bed with NinjaFest 2020.

For the most part, aside from Finn Jones in IF, rarely did any of the Netflix failings have to do with lovely acting, now that I think about it.

Yeah. They have super high grade talent (how the gently caress did they keep Carrie Anne-Moss in as a major character in every show :stare:) but the writing is really stretched and in some cases (JJS2) outright atrocious. Either cut the episode count in half or treat it as two mini seasons like AoS does.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Elektra's actress was horrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Elektra's actress was a fine actress doing the best she could with a terribly written character.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cythereal posted:

I think Elektra's actress was a fine actress doing the best she could with a terribly written character.

Agreed. god the Black Sky poo poo was so bad

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Time to change the thread to Hulu Marvel? Hulu to do Ghost Rider and Helstrom series

https://io9.gizmodo.com/2-more-marv...rce=io9_twitter

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

Time to change the thread to Hulu Marvel? Hulu to do Ghost Rider and Helstrom series

https://io9.gizmodo.com/2-more-marv...rce=io9_twitter

...who’s helstrom

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
These two shows were always my dream pairing along with shows for Blade and Moon Knight. Seems like Moon Knight is getting some movie interest, so that may not happen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

...who’s helstrom

THE SON OF SATAN!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

THE SON OF SATAN!!

Ok so is his dad Mephisto

I have zero clue how hell works in marvel all my comic book satanic mythology is over in DC

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also apropos of nothing but I went to Alamo for endgame and they always play related warmup stuff before previews/”shut the gently caress up”/movies. One of them was a CGI fight between Thanos with the gauntlet and Darkseid. It was loving nuts, they were doing poo poo like hurling planets at each other

Eventually Thanos tried to snap him, and Darkseid calmly reappeared with his hands behind his back. After three more tries Darkseid hit him with the Omega Sanction and called it a day :newlol:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Also apropos of nothing but I went to Alamo for endgame and they always play related warmup stuff before previews/”shut the gently caress up”/movies. One of them was a CGI fight between Thanos with the gauntlet and Darkseid. It was loving nuts, they were doing poo poo like hurling planets at each other

Eventually Thanos tried to snap him, and Darkseid calmly reappeared with his hands behind his back. After three more tries Darkseid hit him with the Omega Sanction and called it a day :newlol:

It sounds like you got Death Battled.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It sounds like you got Death Battled.

I'm sorry for your loss.

It was fun :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm still mad Sigourney Weaver wasn't Mephisto, then they completely wasted the character they wrote for her on Hand bullshit anyway and THEN did the same tired old twist of "Turns out there was another baddie all along who isn't anywhere near as interesting as the first one!"

Davros1 posted:

THE SON OF SATAN!!

"In this crime procedural, the NYPD gets a consultant with a twist! Join us every week to see how he helps them solve a new case! And maybe romantic sparks are flying between he and the no-nonsense lady detective!?!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cythereal posted:

Counterpoint: her face while stabbing Sigourney Weaver and THIS IS WHAT I AAAAAAAM

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You motherfucker. You sent a Nickleback lyric into my brain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still mad Sigourney Weaver wasn't Mephisto

It never even occurred to me this could be a thing and now I hate them and you for pointing out what we could’ve had

(j/k we cool)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Andrigaar posted:

You motherfucker. You sent a Nickleback lyric into my brain.

Look at this photograph

Everytime i do it makes me laugh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lid posted:

Look at this photograph

lmbo

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lid posted:

Look at this photograph

This is a quality post.

Two wrongs made a right.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wasn't she supposed to be immortal because of dragon bones or some poo poo?

Man that season took a nose dive in writing quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They used up all of their "this potion makes you not die" stuff so they could put all their eggs in the "Elektra" basket, a plan that made zero sense since they were going along stronger without her and all they needed was Danny being unbelievably stupid and easy to manipulate to get access to more of the "this potion makes you not die" stuff before what they ran out.

Outside of maybe one story early on, the Hand stuff was always super boring in the comics, and it mostly sucked in the Netflix stuff too so it still blows me away that their big Defenders thing they'd spent so much time building to was just more of the utterly boring Hand crap.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 4, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of maybe one story early on, the Hand stuff was always super boring in the comics,

Man, I always thought it was just me that didn't like any of that poo poo.

I loved Miller's work on DD but for a while it was just all ninja stuff and I kept buying issues waiting for it to get awesome again. Miller was all ninjas all the time for a while there with DD, Ronin, Wolverine...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When Miller first brought them in there was a bit of interest, but they didn't maintain any sense of menace at all and they simply weren't particularly interesting past any early appearances, the diminishing returns set in hard. It got to the point where complete nobodies (including dudes with zero training or powers) were beating multiple highly trained ninjas in fights which just made them a joke.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jerusalem posted:

"In this crime procedural, the NYPD gets a consultant with a twist! Join us every week to see how he helps them solve a new case! And maybe romantic sparks are flying between he and the no-nonsense lady detective!?!"
Now you just reminded me of Brimstone.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BiggerBoat posted:

I loved Miller's work on DD but for a while it was just all ninja stuff and I kept buying issues waiting for it to get awesome again. Miller was all ninjas all the time for a while there with DD, Ronin, Wolverine...

I mistakenly thought this was the Hand but its the yakuza so it doesn't work anyway but there was one great ninja sequence in Daredevil, during Bendis' run which is better than Miller's run.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1...son-3-teaser%2F

rip

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It was the 80s. We were all about ninjas then. In school, we fashioned paper ninja stars.

I remember 20/20 doing a report on ninjas and how you shouldn't let your kids play with ninja weapons.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Did they know this would be the last Marvel Netflix thing when they were making it?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

marktheando posted:

Did they know this would be the last Marvel Netflix thing when they were making it?

I think it wrapped production before the cancellations started, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By directly calling it the final season, you can attempt to cut off what happened to the other shows, which is that instead of talking up the show, every article was about how and why MCU TV and that show failed, which is a viewership killer.