Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't he do something between being mayor of San Antonio and run for president?

HUD secretary under Obama. He's been being groomed for national politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Raising their national profile for cabinet positions.

I keep on hearing that. But why? It's not like the public is going to vote on cabinet members. Whoever is the president would select the best people (or their favorite friends). If they're seeking a cabinet position, wouldn't the smartest move be endorsing and stumping for them instead of running?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Luckyellow posted:

I keep on hearing that. But why? It's not like the public is going to vote on cabinet members. Whoever is the president would select the best people (or their favorite friends). If they're seeking a cabinet position, wouldn't the smartest move be endorsing and stumping for them instead of running?

It's just advertising. Get your name out there now so when you submit a resume in January 2021 people are going "oh that person!" Instead of "who? I've heard of Hickenlooper before."
Also, endorsing is decisive.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't he do something between being mayor of San Antonio and run for president?

HUD secretary. My point still stands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Groovelord Neato posted:

how is nate silver that dumb. uhhh bernie won't have many arguments to attack biden with other than being better than him on literally every policy.

Nate pretty clearly views politics as something that can be sabermetricsed down into math numbers. It's why he and his people are always coming up with new lanes, or corners, or factions. He's consistently wrong when punditing because he is more intent on breaking things down into subcategories that are meaningless when broken out from the whole. Which is why he'll both argue that Bernie and Biden are similar, because they're old white guys(sorry guys, Bernie is a white Jewish man, please stop trying to pretend it's ridiculous when people toss him in the white category). At the same time he'll argue until the cows come home that Beto and Buttigieg are totally different, because things like being gay and Midwestern are the real important things when comparing two empty suits.

He's a numbers guy who is both pretty good at poll aggregation and also possessing the same level of political insight at the lady who has to start up a conversation with you in the check out line. ASL is always more important than ideology or policy.

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/gmulligan38/status/1124424783825911808?s=19

Basically all these polls are meaningless if (and only if) you get enough non-voters to turn out. If Bernie's ground game isn't superb he's toast. So... volunteer and donate!

I think people are focusing too much on debunking the polls based on sample composition and other stuff that's getting kind of adjacent to 2012 Republican stuff. Whether or not the polls are badly done, or unreflective, or under sampled, the more salient issue is that they are polls covering answers from the end of April the year before the election. The end is so far away that it is silly to even pretend they mean anything other than measuring who is and isn't completely and totally loving up.

The polls are wrong, but only because they're asking a bunch of kids what they're favorite movie is going to be next summer. So of course the kids are saying that next summer, in 2014, their favorite movie is totally going to be Hercules. The Rock is awesome!

There's way too much stuff that can and will happen between now and when people start voting.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 4, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

America is irredeemable and must be destroyed.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Hillary getting the nomination would all but guarantee Trump's second term.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Super De Blasio Bros. will hopefully go after Biden lovers.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mantis42 posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

https://twitter.com/dfsparks/status/1124469214264250368

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They'll destroy the country themselves.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

Not sure Julian Castro had control over state policies in Oklahoma while he was mayor of the city of San Antonio, TX but maybe I can check into that...

My point was that

1) someone else who’s running also did this; and
2) an insanely republican state also did this so it’s not some unbelievable, amazing accomplishment

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1124300911533350912

He's so proud of it. And the worst part is if you ask him about it today, he'd probably say he's just as proud of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Double post:

Bernie Sanders never had this before: A campaign machine that’s crushing it

quote:

The Sanders campaign has evolved from an unruly movement four years ago into a highly disciplined, highly structured, proactive machine that is the envy of the Washington establishment. An operation spawned from antipathy toward corporate America now functions with the precision, focus and outsized bank account of, well, corporate America.

“They are much better able to harness all the organic energy this time,” said Ro Khanna, the Silicon Valley congressman who co-chairs the campaign. “There is an infrastructure that wasn’t there before. There are department heads watching every dollar, coordinating messaging, targeting effectively.”

It is an operation, he said, that functions very much like the one political strategist and former Uber executive David Plouffe set up when he managed Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign.

The February day Sanders launched his 2020 bid, the campaign was prepared when some 4,000 volunteers immediately emerged. Aides put them to work. They sent 1.3 million texts to other potential donors and volunteers. The campaign that limped into California the last time now may be better equipped there than anyone. There was no Iowa team in place at this point in the 2016 race; Sanders now has among the largest of all the Democratic presidential contenders.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

WampaLord posted:

Even (younger) doctors want M4A, turns out scaremongering about lower pay doesn't matter when dealing with the status quo is such a nightmare for them!
Yeah, there are still some chuddy types of course, but I interact with a lot of med students, and a bunch are further left than a lot of people suspect.

I even have a younger doc family friend who comes from an extremely well-off family and she's been on the Bernie or Bust DSA train for years.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Is Stacey Abrams actually gonna run? I don't get it, why? Sorry if it's rude, and you could say that about a ton of the candidates, but I don't see why she doesn't just run for senate or governor again, why for president already?

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1124426528207593473

Even (younger) doctors want M4A, turns out scaremongering about lower pay doesn't matter when dealing with the status quo is such a nightmare for them!

Turns out more younger people favor leftist policy, while older people do not. Until the AMA as a full org supports M4A then we know what the headlines and talking points will be. The AMA is naturally going to skew more conservative given age to obtain credentials and income.

You know what what would really put industries and orgs like AMA at ease, or at least allow them to make decisions about the future? Especially when investment decisions in terms of infrastructure / clinical development often look 5-20 years into the future? The most basic framework as to how reimbursement rates will change under M4A.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 4, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gyges posted:

Which is why he'll both argue that Bernie and Biden are similar, because they're old white guys(sorry guys, Bernie is a white Jewish man, please stop trying to pretend it's ridiculous when people toss him in the white category)

we've literally never had a non-christian president. have we even had a non-christian candidate? it's pretty ridiculous to say he's an old white guy in the same way biden is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

we've literally never had a non-christian president. have we even had a non-christian candidate? it's pretty ridiculous to say he's an old white guy in the same way biden is.

How quickly you have forgotten B-Rock the Islamic Shock.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KingNastidon posted:

Turns out more younger people favor leftist policy, while older people do not. Until the AMA as a full org supports M4A then we know what the headlines and talking points will be. The AMA is naturally going to skew more conservative given age to obtain credentials and income.

You know what what would really put industries and orgs like AMA at ease, or at least allow them to make decisions about the future? Especially when investment decisions in terms of infrastructure / clinical development often look 5-20 years into the future? The most basic framework as to how reimbursement rates will change under M4A.

https://dailykos.com/stories/2019/4/11/1849524/-Bernie-s-revised-M4A-bill-is-here-what-s-changed

Go do your own research if you have "concerns"

Did you ever bother typing "bernie m4a details" into google before? One would think someone so concerned about the details would have done that already.

ETA: Something tells me you're suddenly going to have 10-15 more "concerns" if you read that article that you probably could have had before now if you bothered to look anything up for yourself instead of just going "Well, Sanders really needs to work out the details of his M4A plan" over and over and over and over and over, holding posters to a literal impossible standard of "craft a bill so perfect that, I, KN, have no more concerns"

Groovelord Neato posted:

For some reason, the thought of electing the first Jewish president as a refutation of Trump going Nazi never seems to get as much push as you would expect. I thought us Jews were supposed to run the media, someone must be slacking, I'll bring it up at the next meeting. :v:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 4, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes, it is actually of importance. However, it's not a disqualification of being an old white guy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Silly groovelord, Catholics aren't Christian's, they worship idols not good. Here I have a chick tract all about it somewhere

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Groovelord Neato posted:

Donald Trump fakes his religious beliefs, I don't think he's actually a Christian.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Donald Trump fakes his religious beliefs

so do most ostensibly religious people. religion is more about group identity than actual belief

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1124055819258081280

The gloves are officially off:

quote:

"I think when people take a look at my record versus Vice President Biden's record -- I helped lead the fight against NAFTA; he voted for NAFTA," Sanders said Monday night in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I helped lead the fight against (permanent normal trade relations) with China; he voted for it. I strongly opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership; he supported it. I voted against the war in Iraq; he voted for it."

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah, there are still some chuddy types of course, but I interact with a lot of med students, and a bunch are further left than a lot of people suspect.

I even have a younger doc family friend who comes from an extremely well-off family and she's been on the Bernie or Bust DSA train for years.

young people are generally surprisingly left in america today compare to what similar age was just 20 years ago or so

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/gmulligan38/status/1124424783825911808?s=19

Basically all these polls are meaningless if (and only if) you get enough non-voters to turn out. If Bernie's ground game isn't superb he's toast. So... volunteer and donate!

Yeah, I mean you can point out that the poll has high proportion of home owners and people making over $50k than the general population but that's because primary voters are older and wealthier than the general population so it's not like the poll is skewing the voter sample. If you assume the electorate is going to be significantly different than what it was before obviously the poll is meaningless but idk about how likely that is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yea, the idea that a lot of young people might have gotten politically active for some mysterious reason and interested in participating in the primary since last time sure is far-fetched.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1124667509242777600

lol they've learned NOTHING

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw some idiotic cartoon by Ben Garrison's substantially less-talented wife in the Political Cartoon Thread where she drew "wacky" pictures of Biden, Beto and Buttigieg and called them all "Betas". It was, obviously, deeply stupid, and - given the crumminess of the three candidates she decided to "skewer" - I was decidedly un-offended.

It's just... it made me think back to 2012 and realize that, for the incumbent party, a contested primary to face the president is an extremely fun and entertaining thing, and I'm fairly annoyed that they get to enjoy that this time. They don't deserve that.

*wipes a tear away* Nine... nine... nine *sobs*

e: By the way, I'm 100% sure she didn't include Bernie because Trump (the Garrisons' lord and master) is basically going to be doing everything he can do to pump Bernie up before the primaries begin. He, and many Republicans, seem to think that if they face that ONE PARTICULAR CANDIDATE, there's no way they could POSSIBLY lose! It all sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

e2: Since I talked about it so drat much, here's the dumb cartoon.

I'm a sucker for a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man joke but this one leaves me cold.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 4, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't know if these people are stupid or evil. It's really hard to tell.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mcmagic posted:

I don't know if these people are stupid or evil. It's really hard to tell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Either way, Biden is completely out of touch with reality.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1124698481996832768

Sounds about right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never been a fan of Biden and I kind of always expected him to do bad when he started campaigning.

But drat he's surpassing my expectations. In the bad way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Groovelord Neato posted:

we've literally never had a non-christian president. have we even had a non-christian candidate?

The Christianity of the first seven or so presidents was different enough from most modern faith traditions that they'd likely get slotted as agnostics or deists these days, and James Monroe was probably a full on atheist. Not that any of them really openly broke with Christian social mores and norms of the day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

STAC Goat posted:

I've never been a fan of Biden and I kind of always expected him to do bad when he started campaigning.

But drat he's surpassing my expectations. In the bad way.

Both as awful as possible AND still somehow popular enough that he might win.

He should just run as a Republican.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Word for word as predicted. What an odious tosser.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/1124697796941103104?s=21

Smart kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Gyges posted:

Yes, it is actually of importance. However, it's not a disqualification of being an old white guy.

This is a minimization of his lived cultural experience, akin to railing on Obama’s blackness because he’s not #ADOS. Please stop.