Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Casimir Radon posted:

Everything that wasn't the Rey/Luke/Kylo story needed a rewrite to one degree or another.

The movie was basically perfect, except for Canto Bight.

Arbite posted:

Some novel:

"Their localized interdiction field was down."

There, fixed it.

Probably the easiest would be to say they took the shields down to purge DJ's hack/'slice', since nothing could possibly threaten them (:smug:) and he would've told them all about it to save his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My explanation for why hyper-ramming has only been done once:

1. There's a hyper-exponential curve on the realspace effect. You need a cruiser to do more damage than you're giving up.

2. The explosion goes both directions. Unless the cruiser is alone, it's going to destroy any friendly ships as well.

3. There are pretty simple steps a fleet can take if hyper-ramming is a risk. Steps that Hux didn't take because he's a tryhard idiot.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Easier explanation: it might very well not have worked but it did this one time

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Without going into spoilers, I think there was a specific reference to TLJ in the latest episode of Game of Thrones.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Chairman Capone posted:

Without going into spoilers, I think there was a specific reference to TLJ in the latest episode of Game of Thrones.

The part where it would have been better if it had ended after the first two minutes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It involves dropping things.

The night king tickled Bran with a stick and then smacks him for thinking that's what the Warg Force feels like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It involves dropping things.

The night king tickled Bran with a stick and then smacks him for thinking that's what the Warg Force feels like.

I have seen that move in other movies and games, i just can't remember them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have seen that move in other movies and games, i just can't remember them.

Milla Jovovich does it in Resident Evil Apocalypse with a pistol.

I don't know why I remember this. The only good part of that movie is the guy running over zombies shouting GTA muthafucka right before he crashed into a wall because he was distracted by zombie titties.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Peter Mayhew died.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWooki...077256240967681

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Life Day won't be the same without him :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SirPhoebos posted:

Life Day won't be the same without him :(

Truly, a moon has fallen.

Seriously, though, I’m pretty broken up about this. He was the kindest of souls, and he brought more to Chewie than should be expected from an actor in a full body suit. It’s noticeable that the new guy isn’t Mayhew, and I mean that as high praise for Mayhew.

There is a moment near the end of The Force Awakens, in the cockpit of the Falcon before they take off to go find Luke, when he looks at Rey and cocks his head, and that, coupled with those eyes, was so sweet and powerful and undeniably Mayhew.

God dammit. He will be missed.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Roar out a loud one for a homie who's not with us anymore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A very sad day indeed. Who knew so many of the core cast wouldn't make it through even the filming of the sequel trilogy? Though I guess he had been unwell for a while.

thrawn527 posted:

There is a moment near the end of The Force Awakens, in the cockpit of the Falcon before they take off to go find Luke, when he looks at Rey and cocks his head, and that, coupled with those eyes, was so sweet and powerful and undeniably Mayhew.

Was that Mayhew in the Chewbacca outfit in that scene? I thought the new guy took over for the latter parts of TFA.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Rip chewie. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

A very sad day indeed. Who knew so many of the core cast wouldn't make it through even the filming of the sequel trilogy? Though I guess he had been unwell for a while.

Was that Mayhew in the Chewbacca outfit in that scene? I thought the new guy took over for the latter parts of TFA.

He took over any time Chewbacca was walking around or running. When he's sitting or standing still, it was Mayhew.

As for "the latter parts of TFA", keep in mind most movies don't shoot sequentially.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know that, but I thought that it ended up that everything with Chewie on Maz's castle, the Rebel base, and Starkiller Base ended up being the new guy.

The shot of Chewie alone looking sad after Han dies is definitely the new guy since he talked about filming that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lucasfilm just announced all the books they're releasing in the lead-up to TROS. Quite a few "what the gang was doing in the year-gap" entries in there.

Also just an absolute banger of an art book cover:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cross-Section posted:

Lucasfilm just announced all the books they're releasing in the lead-up to TROS. Quite a few "what the gang was doing in the year-gap" entries in there.

Also just an absolute banger of an art book cover:

I like the progression of the art book covers. TFA was Ben, TLJ had Rey, this one's got both

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 4, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Resistance going to the Mon Calamari after their defeat - shades of both Dark Empire and the later NJO books. That comic will have great art from Luke Ross, too. Not really familiar with Ethan Sacks, though.

The art book is definitely the highlight for me. They've consistently been some of the best spinoff works of the Disney era. A lot of really interesting glimpses of insight into the development process and alternative approaches in them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're the closest we'll get to an honest "making of" for the Disney movies because their behind the scenes footage wants to convince us it's all sunshine and family. The art books give us a glimpse of what could have been, and the effects that rewrites have on the development process.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're the closest we'll get to an honest "making of" for the Disney movies because their behind the scenes footage wants to convince us it's all sunshine and family. The art books give us a glimpse of what could have been, and the effects that rewrites have on the development process.

I love that the Solo art book does not reference any of the directors at all, they just completely cut them and their input out of the book.

That being said, Disney hilariously did release a making-of book for Solo along with the art book, though I don't know how in-depth it actually is: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Industrial_Light_%26_Magic_Presents:_Making_Solo:_A_Star_Wars_Story

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rinzler did write a making of book for TFA, but then it got pulled from Amazon months before it was supposed to come out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rinzler's books are notoriously unreliable in some aspects. He did his due diligence...but then was instructed to add in stuff (especially to the first one) about things like "Lucas always planned Luke and Leia as siblings", "midichlorians were always a thing" and such

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Luke and Leia were always intended to be siblings" would make the repeated makeouts a lot weirder.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Rinzler did write a making of book for TFA, but then it got pulled from Amazon months before it was supposed to come out.

Rinzler had some interview about this a few months ago. I think he mentioned he also started work on a Rogue One making-of but it got shelved before it even properly began. He also said his dream is to do an Indiana Jones making-of, and there's tons of never-seen material in the Lucasfilm archives for it, but it will never happen.

Phantom edit: Here's the interview: https://www.herocollector.com/en-gb/Article/abandoned-the-lost-tie-in-books

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

"Luke and Leia were always intended to be siblings" would make the repeated makeouts a lot weirder.

Considering there's that exchange between Lucas and Spielberg about a twelve or fourteen year old Marion hitting on a forty year old Indiana Jones, "Luke and Leia sibling makeout session" isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

Rinzler's books are notoriously unreliable in some aspects. He did his due diligence...but then was instructed to add in stuff (especially to the first one) about things like "Lucas always planned Luke and Leia as siblings", "midichlorians were always a thing" and such

Could you elaborate on this? I believe he’s got an ‘Alien’ book out later this year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I believe he’s got an ‘Alien’ book out later this year.

Trying to track down the article I'd read on it. None of it is super heinous, it's just all part of Lucas' tendency to revise his own history.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

Trying to track down the article I'd read on it. None of it is super heinous, it's just all part of Lucas' tendency to revise his own history.

So it’s more of Lucas-specific and not so much an indictment of the author in general?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The gist is that in the 30th anniversary Making of Star Wars, it includes notes from Lucas from 1976 where he wrote about midichlorians and how they were therefore part of the Star Wars plan since the first movies. But then Rinzler wrote a blog post on the official site (which I believe is now deleted due to them closing out their blogs) where he said that Lucas actually wrote that note in 2006 but it was supposed to be as if it were what he would have written in 1976 had he come up with the idea at the time, but Rinzler was made to insert the note into the book without clarifying it to justify the "Lucas planned it all along" narrative.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

george lucas was born with a silver midichlorian in his mouth

it was all in the plan from day 1

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is the novel Lords of the Sith decent? It sounds like a fun premise.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Nothing essential but the Palpatine/Vader adventure is fun pulp.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

It's the same plot but more fun to just play the Empire at War level where you walk around as Palpatine shooting the enemy army with Force lightning.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

If you squint, the Luke and Leia stuff is kind of there, but it's still a stretch to think it was planned all along. The second draft of the script had Luke going on a mission to rescue his brother, and Leia was Luke's cousin, being Owen and Beru's daughter.

The "midichlorians were planned all along" implication is pretty rude though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The same Rinzler book includes (apparently real) outlines Lucas came up with for the characters after A New Hope that were supposed to be backstories for the early EU authors to follow, even though in almost every case they weren't. I remember the Leia details seeming like Lucas later reused his initial Leia backstory for Padme in the prequels.

Han's backstory was that he was an orphan raised by a space gang... who then escaped to live with Chewbacca as space cowboys herding giant lizards whose meat was sold across the galaxy as an aphrodisiac.

Threepio's backstory is the only one which actually was used by the early EU (he was built 112 years pre-ANH as a translator droid for the Alderaanian court) but which Lucas himself then ignored for the prequels.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The 3PO backstory mentions that he was put back together after being damaged by "a young boy working for a junk dealer", which seems like another one of Lucas' later additions to make everything line up.

They're a pretty interesting read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been watching those galaxy of Adventure animated shorts. They're really good but I would prefer to watch them without the narrator stating the obvious every three seconds. It's a visual medium kids aren't stupid they know what's going on you don't have to tell them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I started listening to the podcast Blank Check. People here might like it. The podcast began as two guys watching and discussing The Phantom Menace as if it were the first Star Wars movie, and examining it in-depth on its own merits as a standalone movie. They're pretty even-handed about it, they have a lot of criticisms of it but also a lot of praise for things like the acting and camera work and set design. After they finished TPM, they do similar takes on AOTC and ROTS. The podcast moves on to other directors after but they do single episodes for the rest of the Star Wars movies (though not sure they ever get to Solo).

Plus while they analyze the movies on their own merits they do allow themselves to do research on Wookieepedia which has led to some funny diversions over stuff like the backstories for Padme and one of her minor handmaidens and how Naboo's EU development doesn't seem to line up with the movie itself.

https://audioboom.com/channel/Blank-Check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
For Star Wars podcasts, there's also System Mastery's "Expounded Universe", where they read and discuss a bunch of, mostly bad, expanded universe/legends books.

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/tag/expanded-universe/